The Little Drummer Boy

3 minutes ago, Mid said:

bah-humbugidiom.jpg

True enough.

I dislike most Christmas carols (except some of the really old ones) The lyrics are often filled with 19th Century bigotry  : and as for Christmas songs? sentimental drivel?

Bah humbug indeed. :)

( Pardon me, just got back from Choir practice. 3 christmas gigs coming up. Groan.)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ShortForBob said:

I fucking hate that song.

spent my teenage years working in a dept store at christmas. Donny Osmond every 30 minutes. Aaaagh.

It is a little early and it’s in the middle of my song list but…….Bing Crosby……how can you not like Bing. After thanksgiving gonna watch a few Andy William’s shows on you tube and watch for Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye in White Christmas as well. 

Good post…..although I didn’t listen to the whole song just yet….;)

• Like 2

Enough FFS, it's the middle of November, not December! 

If Christmas ever did have any meaning, it got lost a long time ago.  

It should be renamed World Hypocrisy Day.

Let's get all misty eyed and have warm fuzzies complete with fruit cakes and egg nog for a couple of weeks and continue to be complete assholes the rest of the year.  Yeah, that's the ticket!

Edited by Ed Lada
  • Like 6
10 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Let's get all misty eyed and have warm fuzzies complete with fruit cakes and egg nog for a couple of weeks and continue to be complete assholes the rest of the year.  Yeah, that's the ticket!

I’m not religious and I like Christmas. It’s all about what you bring to the season, not not others bring or the media feeds you. It’s really the only holiday I’m fond of. As far as the rest go……shut up and get off my lawn. 

Although I am fond of “Talk Like a Pirate Day”

16 minutes ago, Point Break said:

I’m not religious and I like Christmas. It’s all about what you bring to the season, not not others bring or the media feeds you. It’s really the only holiday I’m fond of. As far as the rest go……shut up and get off my lawn. 

Growing up in a family owned retail store started to ruin Christmas for me and the world did the rest.  

But I am not saying you are wrong for enjoying it.

Don't even get me started on 'Talk like a pirate day'!   :lol:

• Like 3

My favorite holiday is the first day of Summer.

Date varies wildly...  some years early, some late.

And sometimes the holiday is distressingly short.

Bah humbug indeed.

I seriously dislike Christmas. The retail orgy. The inappropriate or impossible to meet expectations. The fact there's wall-to-wall insipid Christmas music before even Thanksgiving.   There really should be a holiday for the rest of us.

"Little Drummer Boy" is out of this world insipid. It's lyrically bereft. It's tedious, pedestrian, mind-numbingly repetitive, and just plan full of the suckatude of stupidly. It's a dumb ass song. Is it reasonable to think that some chick that came up with a whopper of an unplanned pregnancy story would postpartum want some kid banging away on a drum?  On endless repeat it would qualify as torture. 

BUT, as terribly awful as "Little Drummer Boy" is. Sir Paul managed to out insipid, out suck, and just frankly make the very worst song ever not to be on a Yoko Ono album. Fellow anarchists, this is the worst Christmas song ever:

• Like 3

I might be slightly biased because this young woman is a good friend of mine, but I can listen to this any time of the year.  Merry Christmas Baby!

She sings jazz, rock, blues and even Christmas carols quite well.  The funny thing is that she is normally quite shy and reserved.  But giver her a microphone and some back up and...

The worst fucking ear poison out there.

I have walked out of several stores when "Little Drummer Boy" has been played, plopping down my purchases and telling them I'll be back when they get it off their play list.  I hate that fucking audio assault.

3 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

"Christmas" was born in hypocrisy when the Catholic Church co-opted the winter solstice celebration and it lives on in ever-expanding circles of cynicism and greed and saccharin schmaltz. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Ed Lada said:

I might be slightly biased because this young woman is a good friend of mine, but I can listen to this any time of the year.  Merry Christmas Baby!

She sings jazz, rock, blues and even Christmas carols quite well.  The funny thing is that she is normally quite shy and reserved.  But giver her a microphone and some back up and...

Seems like she hoovered up all the vowels in Poland for her name.

38 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

I wonder if Claudine Longet sang this song to Spider Sabich?

Too soon?

It was only 45 years ago!  

I remember the SNL Claudine Longet Invitational Ski Tournament skit, back when SNL was still funny.  It was a classic.  Apparently SNL issued a half assed apology for it a little later.

From the NYT:

The Claudine Longet Invitational

The French pop singer and actress Claudine Longet was arrested in 1976 for shooting and killing her lover, the pro skier Vladimir “Spider” Sabich. Longet claimed the shooting was an accident, which “S.N.L.” spoofed near the end of its first season.

The sketch featuring stock footage of skiers wiping out on the slopes, with overdubbed gunfire, as the TV announcers (Chevy Chase and Jane Curtin) commented on a strange wave of “accidental” skier shootings. “That looked almost like skeet shooting!” Curtin says. “You must mean ski shooting!” Chase replies.

Longet’s lawyer wasn’t laughing, and he sent “S.N.L.” a cease-and-desist letter. In the following week’s episode, the announcer Don Pardo read a statement on air — the show’s first public apology: “It is desirable to correct any misunderstanding that a suggestion was made that, in fact, a crime had been committed. The satire was fictitious and its intent only humorous. This is a statement of apology if the material was misinterpreted.” Longet was later convicted of negligent homicide and sentenced to 30 days in jail.

24 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Seems like she hoovered up all the vowels in Poland for her name.

Well actually the name of the video is the title of the community Christmas show.  Loosely translated it means the show before Christmas.
My friend's name is Agata Pomocka which is also quite rich in vowels for a Polish name. 

21 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Too soon?

It was only 45 years ago!  

I remember the SNL Claudine Longet Invitational Ski Tournament skit, back when SNL was still funny.  It was a classic.  Apparently SNL issued a half assed apology for it a little later.

From the NYT:

The Claudine Longet Invitational

The French pop singer and actress Claudine Longet was arrested in 1976 for shooting and killing her lover, the pro skier Vladimir “Spider” Sabich. Longet claimed the shooting was an accident, which “S.N.L.” spoofed near the end of its first season.

The sketch featuring stock footage of skiers wiping out on the slopes, with overdubbed gunfire, as the TV announcers (Chevy Chase and Jane Curtin) commented on a strange wave of “accidental” skier shootings. “That looked almost like skeet shooting!” Curtin says. “You must mean ski shooting!” Chase replies.

Longet’s lawyer wasn’t laughing, and he sent “S.N.L.” a cease-and-desist letter. In the following week’s episode, the announcer Don Pardo read a statement on air — the show’s first public apology: “It is desirable to correct any misunderstanding that a suggestion was made that, in fact, a crime had been committed. The satire was fictitious and its intent only humorous. This is a statement of apology if the material was misinterpreted.” Longet was later convicted of negligent homicide and sentenced to 30 days in jail.

Leave it to the Stones

1 hour ago, ShortForBob said:

THIS is the only Christmas song written in the last 200 years worth it's weight in gold.

And it's NEVER played :(

I’m in the camp of fuck Xmas songs but if I was forced to pick one, it would be either by Shane or Noddy..

Christmas songs are the lowest form of musical shit in the universe.

There are only two exceptions: "Fairytale of New York", and Kevin Bloody Wilson's heartbreaking tale of a young boy's Christmas disappointment:

Santa Claus you cunt, where's me fuckin' bike

I've opened all this other shit, and there's fuck all here I like

I wrote a fuckin' letter, I come to see you twice

You useless geriatric cunt, you forgot my fuckin' bike!

Always brings a tear to my eye.............

• Like 3
17 hours ago, ShortForBob said:

THIS is the only Christmas song written in the last 200 years worth it's weight in gold.

We play it a lot every year, it always brings a bit of a tear to my eye.

23 hours ago, gptyk said:

I seriously dislike Christmas. The retail orgy. The inappropriate or impossible to meet expectations. The fact there's wall-to-wall insipid Christmas music before even Thanksgiving.   There really should be a holiday for the rest of us.

"Little Drummer Boy" is out of this world insipid. It's lyrically bereft. It's tedious, pedestrian, mind-numbingly repetitive, and just plan full of the suckatude of stupidly. It's a dumb ass song. Is it reasonable to think that some chick that came up with a whopper of an unplanned pregnancy story would postpartum want some kid banging away on a drum?  On endless repeat it would qualify as torture. 

BUT, as terribly awful as "Little Drummer Boy" is. Sir Paul managed to out insipid, out suck, and just frankly make the very worst song ever not to be on a Yoko Ono album. Fellow anarchists, this is the worst Christmas song ever:

Oh come on..  For Those of us that grew up in the 80's, that is a modern classic...  LOL

14 hours ago, Happy said:

Christmas songs are the lowest form of musical shit in the universe.

There are only two exceptions: "Fairytale of New York", and Kevin Bloody Wilson's heartbreaking tale of a young boy's Christmas disappointment:

Santa Claus you cunt, where's me fuckin' bike

I've opened all this other shit, and there's fuck all here I like

I wrote a fuckin' letter, I come to see you twice

You useless geriatric cunt, you forgot my fuckin' bike!

Always brings a tear to my eye.............

I remember desperately wanting a guitar from santa when I was about 8. He brought me a toy tin banjo. :D

On 11/16/2021 at 11:30 PM, ShortForBob said:

Beautiful, I actually have that one on CD ... and also a german cover version of it, performed with a pretty thick dialect by BAP, with Nina Hagen and the Kelly Family as guests. Prime example of "If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing", but still good fun. :) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoyDhe_2udA

• Like 1

Y’all can’t harsh my Christmas mellow…….but it doesn’t start till after the thank you day. Then I’m gonna listen to corny Christmas music, drink egg nog (might have some rum in it), help Mrs PB with a little decorating, give silly amounts of presents to the grandkids, make a gingerbread house with them, do lots of baking (I like to bake), ignore the kids, and buy Mrs PB something awesome. Me like Christmas…..

• Like 2

Apparently, the NYPD didn't have a choir so when they were making the Fairytale video they had to draft in the NYPD Pipe Band (which did exist).

Problem was that the pipe band had already been at an event that day and were rat-arsed drunk by the time of the shoot for the Fairytale video.

May not be true but I like it.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Point Break said:

Y’all can’t harsh my Christmas mellow…….but it doesn’t start till after the thank you day. Then I’m gonna listen to corny Christmas music, drink egg nog (might have some rum in it), help Mrs PB with a little decorating, give silly amounts of presents to the grandkids, make a gingerbread house with them, do lots of baking (I like to bake), ignore the kids, and buy Mrs PB something awesome. Me like Christmas…..

Damnit, you almost touched my old, scarred, tired, cynical heart.

Don't take this personally but sometimes I hate you!   Bah humbug!   :lol:

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Sidecar said:

No organs, or musical instruments…. Just voices…..

This is an 'ordinary' mass, nothing to do with Christmas, but if you want to hear what human voices are capable of, take a listen.

The sheer beauty of it just brings me to my knees. Instruments, we don't need no stinkin' instruments!

On 11/16/2021 at 10:36 AM, Point Break said:

Don't forget Naked Gardening Day!  and Steak and BJ Day!!

On 11/16/2021 at 10:54 AM, Ed Lada said:

Growing up in a family owned retail store started to ruin Christmas for me and the world did the rest.  

But I am not saying you are wrong for enjoying it.

Don't even get me started on 'Talk like a pirate day'!   :lol:

My dad owned independent drug stores when the chains moved in. He started a cli

On 11/20/2021 at 6:03 AM, Black Sox said:

Try this for human voices and Christmas:

Well that sucked!

• Like 1

I'd resolved to not post any Christmas music until at least December.

Well... it's December! Gray, cold, wet December.

How about the only Christmas song ever written that mentions a box of tampons?