TackTick wind speed off

8 hours ago, Quickstep192 said:

The windspeed on my TackTick wind instrument seems way off. I've been out with big whitecaps all around and it say 10kts true. 

Is this something lubrication can likely fix, or am I looking at re-build or replacement?  

Could be any number of things. We ran TackTick (before Ray bought them out) for about three years. We abandoned the system after using it for just three years (Wind Speed, Direction, hull speed, Depth, Temp, ) This was due to a lack of reliability on the depth channel. But there were other issues along the way.

The masthead unit has a battery that is charged by the solar panel built into the masthead transducer. These get old and need replacement. It does NOT like being stored in the dark or in the box for months at a time.

There is a wind speed calibration, I assume you've looked at the current setting?

The bearing on the spinning cups can wear out and I recall we did lubricate ours at one point, I don't recall what I used but this is not a fix for the issue. There should be some kind assistance at Raymarine, they replaced our masthead unit even though out of warrantee once.

This gear was not all that reliable and I would never go back to using it.

Time for new bearings. We had the same thing. Took it apart, broke out the calipers (after ordering the wrong ones twice), ordered bearings from Jeff Bezos and dropped them in. 15 min / $20 project and totally worth it. 

11 hours ago, voodoochile said:

Unless the boat is at the dock, or motionless or at 90 deg. to the wind, true wind is a calculation.  

8 hours ago, El Borracho said:

???

I too am all ears on learning this little gem of logic......

As Rory Breaker said in Lock Stock.....

"You may Enlighten Me"

(Fabulous scene)

On 11/18/2021 at 7:37 PM, Boink said:

I too am all ears on learning this little gem of logic......

As Rory Breaker said in Lock Stock.....

"You may Enlighten Me"

(Fabulous scene)

Think about it.....Assume zero wind speed and a boat speed of 6kn.  Wind instrument will show 6 AWS.  It can't sense zero TWS because the boat is moving, so it has subtract boat speed from what the wind sensor is reading  ie a calculation.  The calculation becomes more problematic when there is True WInd Speed and is additionally complicated then the boat is not at 0, 90, 180 or 270 degrees True Wind Angle.  So True Wind, whether Speed or Angle is always theoretical (again, unless you are stationary).  Apparent Wind is what the sails "see"  and what the instrument can read and display accurately, or as accurately as calibration allows.  Remember, current also affects the speed that the boat is moving through the wind, further complication things.  We use Apparent Wind exclusively.  If we want to know True Wind Speed, we look at the water and gauge the wave, white caps, etc to get a ball park number from experience.  

23 minutes ago, voodoochile said:

Think about it.....Assume zero wind speed and a boat speed of 6kn.  Wind instrument will show 6 AWS.  It can't sense zero TWS because the boat is moving, so it has subtract boat speed from what the wind sensor is reading  ie a calculation.  The calculation becomes more problematic when there is True WInd Speed and is additionally complicated then the boat is not at 0, 90, 180 or 270 degrees True Wind Angle.  So True Wind, whether Speed or Angle is always theoretical (again, unless you are stationary).  Apparent Wind is what the sails "see"  and what the instrument can read and display accurately, or as accurately as calibration allows.  Remember, current also affects the speed that the boat is moving through the wind, further complication things.  We use Apparent Wind exclusively.  If we want to know True Wind Speed, we look at the water and gauge the wave, white caps, etc to get a ball park number from experience.  

Not persuasive. Show us your math regarding your 90° TWA conjecture.

17 hours ago, El Borracho said:

Not persuasive. Show us your math regarding your 90° TWA conjecture.

Yea, if the boat is moving, even at 90 deg AWA, the TWA is a calculation.  I'm 50 yrs. from my last calculus, but I believe it involves "related rates" .  If the TWA is at 90 deg., the AWA is affected by the increase in forward motion.  The faster the forward motion, the more forward AWA is and I stand my my assertion that all True Wind info is a calculation with the exception of when the boat is stationary.  I wish we could get a Marine Elec. geek to chime in on this.  

20 hours ago, voodoochile said:

don't take the bait from these guys... you are correct. Let them find the math on their own. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, El Borracho said:

Not calculus, only trig, so 51 years ago :-). Here is a geek expounding on Wikipedia.

Totally agree with equation!  Remeber, boat speed, heading and wind speed/direction are still subject to calibration.  Any True Wind reading is still a calculation.  Next time out, try displaying TWS, TWA upwind, then go on a run and see how close they are. All splitting hairs!   Regardless, the number to the left of the decimal is usually not the important one, it's the numbers to the right.  I'm stickin' with Apparent and what my ass tells me about the boat.

• 1 month later...

Any recommendations as to what is best to replace this wind instrument with? I have the Raymarine TackTick suite from about 2016 and the wind instrument is unreadable most of the time due to swinging around all over the place. The speed seems fine and I have the displays on the mast and would love to be able to have reliable wind values for TWA. 

If the answer is to switch it all out I can live with that but would love to replace just the wind instrument. Should I just buy new of the same stuff I have? 

5 hours ago, danstanford said:

Any recommendations as to what is best to replace this wind instrument with? I have the Raymarine TackTick suite from about 2016 and the wind instrument is unreadable most of the time due to swinging around all over the place. The speed seems fine and I have the displays on the mast and would love to be able to have reliable wind values for TWA. 

If the answer is to switch it all out I can live with that but would love to replace just the wind instrument. Should I just buy new of the same stuff I have? 

What other instruments do you have - is it all TackTick?

I recently replaced a Raymarine cabled wind vane with a B&G wireless vane feeding into a Raymarine i60/i70 system via bluetooth - worked first time and no more conduits in the mast.

• Like 1

It is a TackTick Suite with wind, speed, and depth. The depth and speed work fine it is just the wind that is the problem. The mast is down for the winter so it is the time to do it if I can figure out what is best. 

So you just swapped the wind transducer and it all worked? No problem calculating TWA? 

10 hours ago, danstanford said:

It is a TackTick Suite with wind, speed, and depth. The depth and speed work fine it is just the wind that is the problem. The mast is down for the winter so it is the time to do it if I can figure out what is best. 

So you just swapped the wind transducer and it all worked? No problem calculating TWA? 

If you had the newer Raymarine instruments that use NMEA 2000/Seatalk NG then it would be fine, but your only solution is to replace like for like, or go for a new system.