I was going through some pics in my Dad’s library to prepare for his semi-surprise 90th birthday party this weekend and came across these pics of a young Gary Hoyt. Thought they would be worth sharing

700E0E33-0E66-4C8B-AFB4-B6FDE3FAC866.jpeg

068681E0-AB0F-42B6-B038-1B0E46C5954F.jpeg

• Like 3

I’ll have to ask Dad who the others are. This is off the Money Island Yacht Club dock. My Dad raced against them and won in ‘51.

Apparently, my much younger aunt had a huge crush on “Handsome Hoyt”!

• Like 1

Created the Feedom 40 and Freedom Yachts too. 

9 hours ago, fastyacht said:

BTW my grandfather went to St Joe's U. Have to ask my mom whether prep too. Small world.

I went to the Prep, then sailed for ODU for a bit. 

• Like 1

It was the old pirate ship looking boat. A guy at our club knew Garry from the old days and bought the boat to sail to Bermuda. He did it several times and took us sailing program kids out for a day of fun a number of years in a row. I always wanted one, but I have 2 40 footers now, so I don’t see that happening any time soon.

If we cross tacks, I hope I’m on starboard!

8423AF07-B7A2-4A9E-8224-BD6D7912E10B.jpeg

• Like 1
3 hours ago, fastyacht said:

I liked the Freedom 40 if that was the cat ketch with the quarterdeck.

At some point we are going to have to cross tacks.

I had the cat ketch aft cockpit version. awesome boat off the wind.

DSC_2346.jpg

DSC_2355.jpg

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

It was the old pirate ship looking boat. A guy at our club knew Garry from the old days and bought the boat to sail to Bermuda. He did it several times and took us sailing program kids out for a day of fun a number of years in a row. I always wanted one, but I have 2 40 footers now, so I don’t see that happening any time soon.

If we cross tacks, I hope I’m on starboard!

8423AF07-B7A2-4A9E-8224-BD6D7912E10B.jpeg

Didn't Cliff C. have a Freedom 40 in the Caribbean?

I worked with Garry during the ASAP evolving into Sail America era.  I ran the sailing pool concept for the first 3 Sail Expos in Atlantic City for which he developed the "Expo Solar Sailor", sort of the test bench for the Hoyt Jib Boom.  Tell him I send my congratulations and regards on his 90th. 

• Like 1

Sorry for the confusion, Garry’s not my Dad. My Dad raced against him in that regatta and has pics of the neighborhood gang, which Garry was a big part of to my surprise. Cool story though!

21 hours ago, Schakel said:

Is he the inventor of the Hoyt boom?
601558162_HoytBoom3.jpg.c9efac23b63102b35cb0f16291d18aec.jpg812030731_HoytBoom2.jpg.58162dd43385012a697b2d1cc9ad61c2.jpg

1934678906_HoytBoom.thumb.jpg.3bb8144657658fe2d7d98e4cb5eed8f7.jpg

There's a bit of controversy over that. Erie, PA sailmaker David Bierig claims that that design was stolen from him by Hoyt.

I got an earful about it from David one afternoon on his lovely Alden ketch a few years ago and never forgot how angry he was about it even after all those years.

http://coletech.net/camberspar

• Like 1

It’s an interesting take on a jib club for sure. I can’t attest to who developed it first or who might have stolen the idea, but it was developed and utilized by Garry successfully.

A number of years back I was at a bar and the singer/songwriter was bitching about how he wrote the Blue Oyster Cult song Godzilla and played it for his buddy, who was the leader of that band and felt ever burned when he heard it on the radio a year later.

True story. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, garyedelman said:

"Expo Solar Sailor"

the solar sailor was an interesting boat. I brought special olympic sailors out on an artificial pond with fans in New Haven on those one year. As it was explained to me, it was designed to mitigate peoples' biggest fears about learning to sail: getting home (it had an electric motor), getting hit in the head (it had a fixed boom height), tipping over (you could walk all the way around the gunnels without putting the rail in the water), and trimming (it had a main sheet color coded to the deck-mounted windex). I thought the whole thing was pretty clever.

1 hour ago, Willin' said:

David Bierig claims that that design was stolen from him by Hoyt.

That's interesting, I wasn't aware of that rivalry. The Hoyt boom is a very different animal to the bierig camber spar. My Freedom 45 has a camber spar, and one of the things I like about it over the hoyt boom is that it doesn't take up much room on the foredeck when it's not in use. But from a sail shape perspective, I think the jib boom does a better job.

3 hours ago, eliboat said:

I don’t think so. I think you’re mistaking a freedom 40 with Jerry Milgrams rule beating Cascade, which was about 40’, but rated as a 20 footer

Yeah I know that boat but no, definitely not confusing it. Some dark hulled boat with a cat ketch did really well around 1980 or so. I'll never find that article.

9 hours ago, SEC16518 said:

Had a Freedom44 “Dai Sei”from ‘82 til the early 90’s or so. Won the Rolex Cup in ‘84 and ‘85 and was named the Champion of the Caribbean Ocean Racing Circuit in ‘86 after a number of wins. 

• Like 1
On 11/17/2021 at 10:36 PM, Sail4beer said:

Had a Freedom44 “Dai Sei”from ‘82 til the early 90’s or so. Won the Rolex Cup in ‘84 and ‘85 and was named the Champion of the Caribbean Ocean Racing Circuit in ‘86 after a number of wins. 

I remember Dai Sei well in the Rolex and CORC series in the VI. Cliff was the owners name and the had that boat trucking on the reaches for sure. There was an older Freedom 40 in the original 'PoopDeck' configuration that did sort of OK in earlier years sailed by a crazy Frenchman named Jean Brauer. I think it had the original aluminum spars and was used as a tourist day charter boat when not racing in cruising class. 

The original prototype and eventual plug of the Freedom 33 really cleaned up in the Caribbean and was sailed by a Canadian Windsurfing Champ and Olympian named Dave Ross and his smokin' hot windurfing champ girlfriend. Dave had been on the crew that built the cold molded plug/prototype up North and he and Gary really hit things off. Gary was so impressed by Dave's race record that Gary offered to sell the prototype to the couple. I think that they had to pay up a downpayment up front for the boat after the molds were pulled off of it and finished out but then they could 'work off' a percentage of the remaining debt each time they could win, place or show in a major regatta. They had a big Islander Rasta friend who they called the 'Wind Doctor' to round out the crew and would light up a Spliff if the winds got light and he would stand in the slot between the Main, Mizzen and Reacher letting the ganja smoke guide them to trimming the sails. The big reacher was what really made all those cat ketches work and in the cruising no spinnaker classes there was no chance of poled out headsails or even twin headsails ever keeping up with the Freedoms. Dave pioneered a reaching technique that involved setting the reacher after the weather mark and then letting the main sheet WAY out until the mainsail was 'forereaching' or actually having the clew out well ahead of the bow. The airflow across the main was from leech to luff and kept the main from blanketing the big reacher which formed a very effective slot with the mizzen. This forereaching trick was a favorite Windsurfing Freestyle move at the time but was heresy to most big boat sailors at the time. While the rest of their class was running DDW or nearly so the Freedom would be apparent wind sailing and just crushed every competitor. I can't remember the exact payment schedule but a win at Rolex St Thomas, COPA (Puerto Rico) or BVI Spring Regatta soon added up and then a class win at Antigua the last event of the CORC and a season win overall meant they got their original down payment back. Gary was thrilled and the publicity that performance earned was a big part of the Freedom success. HARMONY was the name of the Freedom 32 and when Dave and his GF turned wife Kathy split up and they had to sell the boat I really wanted to buy it. Somehow the Kathy came up with enough to buy out the boat and sailed off to the Windsurfing WorldCup in Guadeloupe!

1980 Freedom 33 Center Board Cat Ketch located in Outside United States for sale

• Like 1

Going over to my Dad’s tomorrow. I’ll ask him about the Hoyt pics and who’s in them. Might be the Hoyt brothers, maybe cliff is Cliff C. He’d know, plus he crewed with Cliff in a Bermuda race in the 80’s- wish they’d taken me…

5 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

I remember Dai Sei well in the Rolex and CORC series in the VI. Cliff was the owners name and the had that boat trucking on the reaches for sure. There was an older Freedom 40 in the original 'PoopDeck' configuration that did sort of OK in earlier years sailed by a crazy Frenchman named Jean

1980 Freedom 33 Center Board Cat Ketch located in Outside United States for sale

Wish I had some of the same experiences you had down there. Trapped in the city then bay while you guys tore up the green water venues. Great story as usual. 

when do we get a book or 2 out of you?

17 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Wish I had some of the same experiences you had down there. Trapped in the city then bay while you guys tore up the green water venues. Great story as usual. 

when do we get a book or 2 out of you?

Green water? Most of those times it was Blue Water all the way. Yeah I was lucky to have taken my retirement early and spend my youth on such adventures. Problem now is I can't do what the young boys do. My sea stories here are me collecting anecdotes for a book or two. I met Dave Ross when I dinghied up to Beef Island from St John to get him to give me my official Windsurfing Certification since he was a card carrying Windsurfing School and his operation in Trellis Bay was a dream come true for me. I spent the night in Road Town on the floorboards of my inflatable dinghy and actually cleared in BVI Custom just as soon as they opened their doors. I had pulled the 12' inflatable with a 25 HP OB up on the rocks just outside the Customs Office and wanted to get legal and zip on up to Dave's before he opened his windsurfing shack. The stern customs guy gave me forms to fill out and went to put on the mornings tea water in the break room. 

I had recently registered the dinghy in the USVI so filled in the usual form slots and made up a 'vessel name' on the spot. I hollered back to the agent and asked what they meant by tonnage and he got vexed at me not knowing the principal dimensions of my 'yacht'. I asked whether the BVI used American tons or English Long Tons and that didn't help my case so I figured that the dinghy and motor might be about 250 lbs so entered 1/10 tonnes on the form. Then I entered 12'6" for the LOA and handed the paperwork over. He started filling out a worksheet for the various fees and charges and then asked me for nearly $75 US which I didn't have at the moment. He told me I should go back to my 'yacht' and get enough cash to pay the fees and bring my own pen this time. I asked for the breakdown on the fees and I think the head tax was about $7 and some other minor charges for forms and such and it was the harbor fees that was the bulk of the cost to enter the BVI. I looked closer at the worksheet and my 1/10 tonne had been entered as 110 tonnes and the LOA of my 'yacht' was 126 foot! I tried to correct this with him and pointed out the discrepancy and then pointed out the window at my 'dinghy yacht' and the guy went ballistic! He just shoved the whole pile of paperwork across the desk into my face and told be to get the hell out of his face and wanted to know just who had put me up to such a sorry joke on him. His fellow office workers were just coming in to the office and the turned on them wanting to know who had put the "white 'scunt" up to such shenanigans and the head dude just led him off into an inner office to cool down. The chief Immigration guy came out shortly and told me to just go on about my business in my dinghy and not tempt their officialdom with such trivialities. He wouldn't even take the $12 dollars that I had figure would be the proper fees and that was that!

I came back to the same office a couple of years later sailing a windsurfer as I wanted to attend the Interlines Regatta up at Leverick Bay in Virgin Gorda. I had a couple of Hook In and Hold On windsurfing regattas under my belt by the and such a trek was not unreasonable. I pulled the board out at the same spot and just wanted to go have a beer and a Johhny Cake after the first half of the sail and though I would stick my head in to see if my old friend still worked in that office. I didn't see him so went ahead and filled out the paperwork to clear in and someone remembered my earlier stunt and they all had a laugh but the joke was on me this time because they went ahead and processed my entry and I think the fees about the same as I paid for my lunch. Showing that paperwork at the skippers meeting that night was good for a few rounds of rum drinks! 

That should be good for a chapter in my book!

On 11/17/2021 at 2:09 PM, SEC16518 said:

FYI, Cliff Campbell is in the pic next to Bob Hoyt. My Dad said that Gary, Bob and Cliff would always come over to Money Island from Beechwood because that’s where the pretty girls lived! He said that Gary was handsome and strong and the girls liked him the most.

I had just competed in the TWOSTAR race and was decompressing in Newport after wild couple of days following the finish. A windsurfing buddy from the Islands was skippering a lovely PJ Ketch that had a season slip on Bowen's Wharf and he honored me with a week in the master stateroom! What a contrast to the single bunk on the little 35' trimaran racing sloop that I had just spent 3 weeks hot bunking on the race from Plymouth, England! A nice way to return to a civilized existence and I was so grateful for the hospitality.

The boat was alongside the dock right where the security gate that kept the unwashed masses off of the private boat docks so it was great fun to sit in the cockpit sipping rum drinks and ogle all the young ladies peering through the gate into the territory of the privileged.  One evening we saw an odd watercraft slowly coming down our way and it looked like a modern sailplane cockpit with no wings or tail. Just a pod with a plexiglass windshield moving smoothly without fuss through the water. I finally recognized it as a Gary Hoyt pedal powered project that he had done with Harken for the running gear. As the guy pushing the pedals slipped past the big luxury Ketch I pointed it out to the skipper and said something about it and must have said 'Gary Hoyt' loud enough for the silent running cyclist to hear. As filled in my friend with what few details I had on the design the pod slowed to a halt and the guy said proudly that he was Gary Hoyt himself!

I asked what he was doing in the crowded channels of the docks and he said that he always pedaled down to our particular spot to ogle the girls himself but he could no longer see the gate because of the 75' bulk of the PJ. My skipper apologized for ruining the view and invited Gary to join us for a cocktail and see the girls up close. Gary didn't hesitate and with a brief burst of pedal power pulled up to the floating portion of the dock to which we were berthed but then cringed at the nasty edge of the dock with no fendering. He didn't want to ding and scratch up his cute toy so I offered to take it for a spin instead of him having to tie up. We swapped out and I had fun zipping around area and was impressed with how easily it was driven and smooth the toothed belt drive spinning the relatively large diameter propeller.

I soon found that the little boat drew much attention and people on the docks were asking me all sorts of questions. If it had a second seat I would have had no problem inviting the tourist girls along for a waterfront tour. When I returned to the ketch, the skipper had rigged some fenders on the outboard side of the boat so I could tie up and he could take a spin too. Gary was enjoying himself and I told him I was really impressed with his creation and ventured to say that with a second seat that it could be a great chick magnet. He said that he had the two place boat in the works and that his son had a few in Puerto Rico where they were  having a blast with running in mild surf. The Ketch was homeported in the VI and Gary invited us to come play with the newer versions the next winter season at the PR lab.

Original WaterBug

1985 HOYT-HARKEN WATERBUG PADDLE BOAT

This is the Mallard later model.

http://www.nauticraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/3.person.turq_.no_.bimini.girls-waving.1.jpg

• Like 1