Glad I don't drink alcohol.

This technology, according to the bill, would be required to “passively monitor the performance of a driver [to] to accurately identify whether that driver may be impaired” and “prevent or limit motor vehicle operation if an impairment is detected.”

Look for a large number of parked vehicles with confused senior citizens in the left seat.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tax Man said:

This technology, according to the bill, would be required to “passively monitor the performance of a driver [to] to accurately identify whether that driver may be impaired” and “prevent or limit motor vehicle operation if an impairment is detected.”

Look for a large number of parked vehicles with confused senior citizens in the left seat.

“Drug-Impaired Driving Data Collection” 

Maybe it will send the GPS location to all the nearby police?

1 minute ago, Tax Man said:

That, and it seems like a new challenge for the late teen and early 20's set. Blow your BAC, then see how far you can get fooling the system.

I choose not to condemn this without seeing it - having had several extremely close calls from drunk drivers one of which would have been absolutely fatal I applaud anything that gets them off the road. If you have ever had a wrong way driver pass you on the freeway at the top of an overpass while riding your motorcycle you might be able to understand this. It's the ultimate oh shit moment.  If it stops the texting aholes as well that's a bonus.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Tax Man said:

So, Uncle Joe won’t be able to drive his ‘Vette, anymore?!

2766BAA6-D3E3-4EB8-A65A-1B13D04B37B9.jpeg

2 hours ago, woodpecker said:

Looks like anyone who drinks alcohol or smokes pot and gets behind the the wheel are going to have to find a new way to get around. I am sure you guys would be all in to add it to boats also.

https://www.repairerdrivennews.com/2021/08/10/infrastructure-bill-includes-vehicle-technology-to-prevent-drunk-driving/

I read that the thought is there, but the tech will not be available for a while.  No way in hell are they going to put blow tubes in every car after x date.  The Passive system part lays this out.  It's gonna be an app or something.  It'll happen about the same time all cars have auto drive, but the $$$$$ is going to escalate the process me thinks.  ..  LOL..  

“passively monitor the performance of a driver [to] to accurately identify whether that driver may be impaired”

That will have the collateral benefit of getting plain old shitty drivers off the road.

This is all about appareances and politicians over estimating what tech level really is.

Sort of like New Jersey smart gun law.  Once smart gun trigger locks are functional and relaible enough to be sold as a standard configuration  then they are deemed to be mandatory for all guns.  

Except the tech is so unreliable that no one wants to trust it yet.  

The law itself will expire long before the tech is ready. And the same with this.  Driver monitoring is unreliable.   So this will be tried proven to fail just a bit to often and shelved.

Meanwhile it looks good.

13 minutes ago, peragrin said:

This is all about appareances and politicians over estimating what tech level really is.

Sort of like New Jersey smart gun law.  Once smart gun trigger locks are functional and relaible enough to be sold as a standard configuration  then they are deemed to be mandatory for all guns.  

Except the tech is so unreliable that no one wants to trust it yet.  

The law itself will expire long before the tech is ready. And the same with this.  Driver monitoring is unreliable.   So this will be tried proven to fail just a bit to often and shelved.

Meanwhile it looks good.

And my state just made it a crime to give me a packet of ketchup without my requesting it!  I’m so relieved that I won’t be bothered by this anymore!  I’m sure this will save thousands, if not millions of human lives.

https://ktla.com/news/california/ketchup-packets-plastic-utensils-come-with-take-out-orders-only-if-requested-under-new-california-law/

• Like 1

the down side,  is more sensors, which means more shit to break.  and more expense at the dealership to fix.

wont go into effect for half a dozen years    just buy a car  in 5 year, and run it into the grave....  and drink and drive all you want. (kidding)

Honestly i get drunk driving is a plague, but can we solve cell phone/driving issue and have them just disable cell phones when driving.  would likely save nearly as many lives.....

• Like 3
2 hours ago, silent bob said:

And my state just made it a crime to give me a packet of ketchup without my requesting it!  I’m so relieved that I won’t be bothered by this anymore!  I’m sure this will save thousands, if not millions of human lives.

https://ktla.com/news/california/ketchup-packets-plastic-utensils-come-with-take-out-orders-only-if-requested-under-new-california-law/

I was wondering why In and Out started to ask...  With all the other problems in the state, I am sure the legislators are really patting themselves on the back over this one..  I know, coat, hat, and down the hall to the left for PA...  See what I did there?

3 hours ago, shaggy said:

I read that the thought is there, but the tech will not be available for a while.  No way in hell are they going to put blow tubes in every car after x date.  The Passive system part lays this out.  It's gonna be an app or something.  It'll happen about the same time all cars have auto drive, but the $$$$$ is going to escalate the process me thinks.  ..  LOL..  

Give an hour or so and someone will have a hack and a work-a-round for it.

Just now, Ventucky Red said:

I was wondering why In and Out started to ask...  With all the other problems in the state, I am sure the legislators are really patting themselves on the back over this one..  I know, coat, hat, and down the hall to the left for PA...  See what I did there?

Give an hour or so and someone will have a hack and a work-a-round for it.

Hey Buddy, Blow in this bag....  LOL. Canned air will be a staple in every auto...  

26 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

the down side,  is more sensors, which means more shit to break.  and more expense at the dealership to fix.

wont go into effect for half a dozen years    just buy a car  in 5 year, and run it into the grave....  and drink and drive all you want. (kidding)

Honestly i get drunk driving is a plague, but can we solve cell phone/driving issue and have them just disable cell phones when driving.  would likely save nearly as many lives.....

When you have an organization like MADD, DUI takes the front seat.  Regarding using a phone, when you see the cops doing it, well.......

• Like 1
3 hours ago, shaggy said:

No way in hell are they going to put blow tubes in every car after x date.  

No way in hell are they ever going to make everyone take the vaccine shot, if not loose their job over it.
Brandon said so 6 month ago don't you remember?

23 minutes ago, Ventucky Red said:

I was wondering why In and Out started to ask...  With all the other problems in the state, I am sure the legislators are really patting themselves on the back over this one.

Yes, I was so afraid of being assaulted by homeless ketchup packets in my bag of fries!  

27 minutes ago, woodpecker said:

No way in hell are they ever going to make everyone take the vaccine shot, if not loose their job over it.
Brandon said so 6 month ago don't you remember?

on ignore you go...  

• Like 2
6 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

“passively monitor the performance of a driver [to] to accurately identify whether that driver may be impaired”

That will have the collateral benefit of getting plain old shitty drivers off the road.

Rep. Boebert will likely be the first.  

6 hours ago, shaggy said:

There’s no chance the existing breathalyzer interlocks will suffice for this law. I’ll confess to being a dumbass that got an OWI. I had those interlocks in both of my vehicles for a year. They work fine for people like me being punished, but there’s no fucking way society as a whole would tolerate them. They constantly freeze up in the winter, need frequent calibrations, and are just plain irritating. It was hilarious when a cop tried to figure out how to pass the interlock in my car to move it after it got smoked by another car while parked. Took him four tries, complete with a 15 minute wait after the first three fails because he didn’t blow in the right pattern. It was technically a felony that I then backed the car off my lawn onto the street, but that’s another story. 

Having said all that, I applaud this requirement. Speaking from experience, alcohol has a wonderful ability to convince you that you’re fine to drive. I’d love a non-intrusive system built into the car that prevents this. 

Edit: This was my reward for being responsible and riding my bike to go meet some friends for bloody Marie’s. (My car is the innocent black one)

C7C00311-5FF6-46A5-97DD-6EBA9D724D6E.jpeg

Key word is "Passive" - i.e. not a breathalyzer. Basically the same stuff as the dongles the insurance companies want to sell you to get a "good driver" discount/ bad driver rate increase. OBD II und beyond already records most of this stuff: hard accel, hard braking, skids, speed, gps locations(if car has it) etc.  Putting some automatic shutoff behind bad driving would likely be part of Vision Zero. 

Not arguing it's exactly a good idea, mind you. What's going to happen to all the roads around retirement communities with cars parked all over?  But it's tech that Gieco/Progressive/et al have been peddling for years. All based on data that's already in the car. May need some CPUs that aren't from the '90s to make it work. 

We can use GPS to enforce no fly areas with drones.  It's time to start limiting the maximum speed of cars too.  I almost got taken out twice today by people doing 30 or 40 over the limit on the freeway weaving between cars. 

3 hours ago, Monkey said:

There’s no chance the existing breathalyzer interlocks will suffice for this law. I’ll confess to being a dumbass that got an OWI. I had those interlocks in both of my vehicles for a year. They work fine for people like me being punished, but there’s no fucking way society as a whole would tolerate them. They constantly freeze up in the winter, need frequent calibrations, and are just plain irritating. It was hilarious when a cop tried to figure out how to pass the interlock in my car to move it after it got smoked by another car while parked. Took him four tries, complete with a 15 minute wait after the first three fails because he didn’t blow in the right pattern. It was technically a felony that I then backed the car off my lawn onto the street, but that’s another story. 

Having said all that, I applaud this requirement. Speaking from experience, alcohol has a wonderful ability to convince you that you’re fine to drive. I’d love a non-intrusive system built into the car that prevents this. 

Edit: This was my reward for being responsible and riding my bike to go meet some friends for bloody Marie’s. (My car is the innocent black one)

How can you push the white car back and drive home with those braces in the way?

1 minute ago, Ease the sheet. said:

How can you push the white car back and drive home with those braces in the way?

The white car had to have its roof cut off with the jaws of life. The lady driving it had a heart attack and my car was the innocent victim. My car didn’t have to drive home. It was already home. The problem was removing it from home. 

If the government is going to to this then let them go the whole hog and put systems in cars that electronically control speed limits and the ability of cars to crisscross lanes on the expressway cutting people off and causing needless crashes day after day making my commute all but impossible to predict.

40 minutes ago, Monkey said:

The white car had to have its roof cut off with the jaws of life. The lady driving it had a heart attack and my car was the innocent victim. My car didn’t have to drive home. It was already home. The problem was removing it from home. 

Well, that got serious real quick...

5 hours ago, Monkey said:

Ouch! BTW…..nice try with the vehicle shoring (looks like a paratech system) but the nearest one should be on the frame…..not the plastic body. :lol:

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Point Break said:

I really have a case of the ass about drinking drivers…..but that’s just me. 

When I was young and dumb, I admit that I drove drunk more than once.  I imagine many here have done the same.  I drove as carefully as a drunk could drive but the bottom line is I was very lucky never to have an accident or got caught DUI.

I realized the stupidity of my behavior and fortunately I was able to stop doing that long before I became an EMT and worked in ERs and in the trauma room where I really got to see the terrible damage of such behavior.   

It is frustrating as hell that driving drunk is still a big problem that needs to be rectified.  Here in Poland the amount of drunk drivers on the road and the carnage they cause is appalling.  Of course the police have random sobriety checks, the penalties are stiff yet people still do it far to often. 

The legal alcohol limit to drive here is .2 g/l (equivalent to .02% in the US), one of the lowest limits in Europe.  If you blow over .5 g/l you lose your license for a year along with a stiff fine.  If you are a repeat offender, you go to jail.  It still doesn't stop the idiots.  When I drive here I just don't drink.  Period.  It isn't worth it and while I enjoy drinking alcohol, it's just easier not to drink at all when I need to drive.  

If alcohol were discovered today, it would be a Schedule I controlled substance. "Schedule I drugs, substances, or chemicals are defined as drugs with no currently accepted medical use and a high potential for abuse."   Unfortunately alcohol use has existed since forever and is accepted in society almost everywhere and people are too stupid to know when enough is enough.  I don't drive under the influence of weed either but it's funny how many think that weed is dangerous and rant about it while they are getting shitfaced on alcohol.  When was the last time you saw a bunch of pots heads get high and start a bar clearing brawl?

Having worked in the treatment field with alcoholics, I can say in my experience that they are the most difficult individuals to work with that I have ever experienced.  I would rather deal with pedophiles and they aren't any fun at all.  People dependent on or addicted to alcohol are often in denial, defensive, obnoxious, lack any introspection or awareness of their addiction, and are very resistant to treatment.  Alcoholism doesn't just destroy the drinker, it wreaks complete havoc on everybody around them.  I understand all of the dynamics of it and I understand the struggle, I understand it can be genetic.  However alcohol abuse causes tremendous damage to society in general and it's tragic and it's unnecessary.

If there is anybody here in recovery, good on you and one day at a time!

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Monkey said:

With compliments to you and your Spaceballs *golfclap*

On 11/18/2021 at 10:20 AM, Tax Man said:

That could be a good thing.  

• Like 1

A lot of the technology is pretty much already there...as for distracted driving the new MB S500 can adjust functionality based on monitoring where the drivers eyes are looking. This kind of technology should be applied to cell-phone use/texting...isn't distracted driving almost on a par with drunk driving these days?  

Anyway, this guy's definitely gonna have to  change his ways if he gets behind the wheel.

good luck with that.

There is an old saying in systems development "build a foolproof system and only a fool with use it"

There will be ways around this in no time.

You can do all the sensors you want.  Nothing to stop someone from overriding the sensor or cpu just like folks do to those idiot engine kill features when you come to a stop.

All those hair bun losers in the city sure are angry they have to ride bus with smelly winos while us cool kids drive v8s and turbos with 2000 dollar sound systems.  Will do anything to try and make us as miserable as they are.

Fuck em..

20 hours ago, Fisher said:

With compliments to you and your Spaceballs *golfclap*

You sir, are awesome for figuring that one out. In five years, you’re only the third person to figure that out without an explanation. 

5 hours ago, Foreverslow said:

good luck with that.

There is an old saying in systems development "build a foolproof system and only a fool with use it"

There will be ways around this in no time.

You can do all the sensors you want.  Nothing to stop someone from overriding the sensor or cpu just like folks do to those idiot engine kill features when you come to a stop.

All those hair bun losers in the city sure are angry they have to ride bus with smelly winos while us cool kids drive v8s and turbos with 2000 dollar sound systems.  Will do anything to try and make us as miserable as they are.

Fuck em..

Sure, there are people like me who “could” disable those systems. However, most of the folks reprogramming their cars require software or the programming to be done by others. It’s not hard to make it illegal to sell that particular service. 

22 hours ago, silent bob said:

https://www.dailynews.com/2021/11/15/la-plastic-utensil-and-napkin-ordinance-takes-effect-monday/

I just got a plastic fork in my take-away food bag.  Do I call 9-1-1?  Where do I sign up for Counseling?  How soon before I can take a day off work for Mental Health?  I could have stabbed my self!  

Nah, just throw it out of your car window if you feel threatened by it.

On 11/19/2021 at 6:07 AM, Ed Lada said:

When I was young and dumb, I admit that I drove drunk more than once.  I imagine many here have done the same.  I drove as carefully as a drunk could drive but the bottom line is I was very lucky never to have an accident or got caught DUI.

I realized the stupidity of my behavior and fortunately I was able to stop doing that long before I became an EMT and worked in ERs and in the trauma room where I really got to see the terrible damage of such behavior.   

It is frustrating as hell that driving drunk is still a big problem that needs to be rectified.  Here in Poland the amount of drunk drivers on the road and the carnage they cause is appalling.  Of course the police have random sobriety checks, the penalties are stiff yet people still do it far to often. 

The legal alcohol limit to drive here is .2 g/l (equivalent to .02% in the US), one of the lowest limits in Europe.  If you blow over .5 g/l you lose your license for a year along with a stiff fine.  If you are a repeat offender, you go to jail.  It still doesn't stop the idiots.  When I drive here I just don't drink.  Period.  It isn't worth it and while I enjoy drinking alcohol, it's just easier not to drink at all when I need to drive.  

If alcohol were discovered today, it would be a Schedule I controlled substance. "Schedule I drugs, substances, or chemicals are defined as drugs with no currently accepted medical use and a high potential for abuse."   Unfortunately alcohol use has existed since forever and is accepted in society almost everywhere and people are too stupid to know when enough is enough.  I don't drive under the influence of weed either but it's funny how many think that weed is dangerous and rant about it while they are getting shitfaced on alcohol.  When was the last time you saw a bunch of pots heads get high and start a bar clearing brawl?

Having worked in the treatment field with alcoholics, I can say in my experience that they are the most difficult individuals to work with that I have ever experienced.  I would rather deal with pedophiles and they aren't any fun at all.  People dependent on or addicted to alcohol are often in denial, defensive, obnoxious, lack any introspection or awareness of their addiction, and are very resistant to treatment.  Alcoholism doesn't just destroy the drinker, it wreaks complete havoc on everybody around them.  I understand all of the dynamics of it and I understand the struggle, I understand it can be genetic.  However alcohol abuse causes tremendous damage to society in general and it's tragic and it's unnecessary.

If there is anybody here in recovery, good on you and one day at a time!

Winston Churchill had an Alcohol Perscription with him

when he came to the USofA during prohibition 

https://vinepair.com/wine-blog/winston-churchill-received-a-prescription-for-alcohol-to-get-around-american-prohibition/

A friend (NO NOT me)

Had a Blowie thing in his car

Like $600 install + $250 a month to drive

When the fucker sounded he had like 10-30 seconds to give it a Good Blow

Much more distracting than answering a fone call

But That's the LAW in Kalifornia 

You Could get a Fine for Distracted Driving whilst trying to grab and blow in that thing

But that's the ShitLife you live after a DWI or 2 or 3

What many seem to be missing is that the proposed systems measure performance, not the presence of alcohol or other drugs. So it doesn't matter if your driving is sloppy because you're drunk, because you're tired, because you're coming down with a bad flu, or because you just had a huge fight with your spouse; the objective is to see if you're up to the job of driving at the moment. This takes performance measurement out of the realm of legislating morality and punishing malfeasance, and into the realm of reality-based safety management.

"The $1 trillion infrastructure bill passed by the U.S. Senate includes a provision that would mandate passive technology in all new cars to prevent drunk or impaired drivers from operating the vehicle."

I guess many of us will not buy new cars any more, but continue to drive our old beaters instead?  Our newest vehicle is a 2017 model, the others are 2002 and 2004, and I am pining for a 1980 Resto-Mod high spec Austin Mini, as soon as we figure out finances after selling some rental condos, next spring......

3 hours ago, Windward said:

Whatever happened to AbandonedBrane?  

Locked up somewhere or self destructed wouldn't be an unreasonable guess from what I saw here.  But who knows.

• Like 1
On 11/19/2021 at 6:07 AM, Ed Lada said:

Prior to Candy Lightner everyone did.

"One for the road" was exactly that.

Shit - lots of custom cars, limo's etc had built in bars. I remember lots of people at the ski hills had mini bars in an attache case in the trunk. It would get opened up after the gear was loaded and before leaving to drive down the mountain.

Different times.

Candy was one of the most extreme examples of one person making a difference.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

allwayes throweng orounde thoise bigge wordes............                          :)

Ishmael is way smarter than he looks…. I’m thinking……I mean I’ve never met him but I’m supposing that…….I mean…..never mind….

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

only works until you learn to grind the gears..

I had been driving a stick for some years when a friend of mine, a bit of a car geek, but not a typical motorhead (he was an English professor at my college), asked me if I knew how to shift without using the clutch, of course once you are in motion.  I had not heard of such a thing and I told him that.  So explained how to do it and with a little practice I got pretty good at it and rarely ground a gear.

Fortuitously about 2 or 3 months later the clutch cable broke on my 1979 Mustang GT with thee 5 liter V8.  It happened as I was downshifting to slow down for a red light.  I managed to slow down enough not to stop, and somehow I got through about 3 miles of city streets and traffic without needing to come to a complete stop, up and down shifting without the clutch, to a local Ford dealer.  It was a 4 speed, 4th was OD , If I hadn't learned how to shift without the clutch, I would have had to wait on the side of a busy street and pay for a tow.  

I feel sorry for people who don’t drink because when they get up in the morning that is as good as they are going to feel all day.  (Attributed to W.C. Fields)

On 11/18/2021 at 10:10 PM, Grrr... said:

We can use GPS to enforce no fly areas with drones.  It's time to start limiting the maximum speed of cars too.  I almost got taken out twice today by people doing 30 or 40 over the limit on the freeway weaving between cars. 

Detroit area, right?