Did I screw this up?

When did the big renovation of my H-Boat, I removed the bow chocks prior to the painting, and put them back on afterwards. Did I reverse them, i.e. put them on the wrong side?

A9EDC8BB-50FE-4E76-971A-EFC91851D64B_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.25a46571224cb06965eedfbb2f3a3323.jpeg

Uh... Bull? What difference does it make?

Also, I am more concerned about your knotted bow lines. Those left some scratches in my gelcoat/paint after some time of the boat periodically pulling on each bowline and jerking the knot across the deck.

Of course your dock is probably less dusty and possibly has less movement than mine, but stuck out to me.

This is how mine looks, but no guaranty that it actually is as original...

bowlines.jpg

1 hour ago, allweather said:

Uh... Bull? What difference does it make?

Well, it looks like the line follows the open angle of the chock, so it's easier to come out. I suppose it would be OK if the dock line were led at a more forward pointing angle.

Looks like you made your loop with seizing twine. Maybe I'll do that.

Is that your electric cord?

And what about the big log?

Now I see what you mean, we should be fine then.(yep, used some bigger twine. Frankly overkill but has worked for years)

You're right on the power cord run forward from the lazarette where I have stashed... 15 or so meters which is kind of heavy but useful.

The log is the reason why the pic even exist. Sometimes, regular enough, the wood carriers lose some and eventually they tend to find their way through the bay.
Which I honestly try not to think about too much. Luckily our local fishermen get rewards for bringing those in and that limits some risk. Also not a container...

In this case it was just drifting(pretty harmlessly) between two neighbours' boats and I got it out of the way.

20 hours ago, Bull City said:

When did the big renovation of my H-Boat, I removed the bow chocks prior to the painting, and put them back on afterwards. Did I reverse them, i.e. put them on the wrong side?

A9EDC8BB-50FE-4E76-971A-EFC91851D64B_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.25a46571224cb06965eedfbb2f3a3323.jpeg

i'd say backwards and on the wrong side..    left front goes to right back...

:lol: Haha, yes! Isn‘t it a single eye now or nothing even?(could have sworn I saw someone tie to the forestay...)

Race boats are a different kind of breed, though I believe the cockpit locker sealing has not been solved to satisfaction for older boats?

Looking to redo mine completely but haven‘t settled yet. Would be easier if I knew where to source the right gasket.

8 hours ago, allweather said:

:lol: Haha, yes! Isn‘t it a single eye now or nothing even?(could have sworn I saw someone tie to the forestay...)

Race boats are a different kind of breed, though I believe the cockpit locker sealing has not been solved to satisfaction for older boats?

Looking to redo mine completely but haven‘t settled yet. Would be easier if I knew where to source the right gasket.

Yeah, it is that damn drawer handle. I still have no idea how to tie rope to it.

yiyuyj.JPG.6f8c74b75a315ef6a06f1400a17a62d7.JPG

My friend uses soft EPDM-tape as seal with latches that tighten locker hatches on.  He said that now they are almost dry.

1 hour ago, Pertsa said:

I still have no idea how to tie rope to it.

Most I see clipping the bow lines with a snap shackle. Though that works less well if one needs to adjust length from the boat and best for the primary dock where it's always the same...

1 hour ago, Pertsa said:

He said that now they are almost dry.

Isn't that the truth? "Almost" dry...
I have been using similar(foamed rubber tape) to kind of reasonable success, but hatches are old and wood, meaning I can't get enough "down force" without worrying about the fitting in the relatively soft wood...

Really thinking about building entirely new hatches because bone dry is ultimately the way to go. Going to have to figure out how to make it work though, especially since the Artekno ones end up with water standing at the lower seal when heeled.

Chocks with slanted top projections were called Skene chocks, after their original designer, Norman Skene, a respected yacht designer of the early 20th century.  
The slanted top business was intended to prevent an anchor rode, which would lead straight ahead, from jumping out of the chock in storm conditions. 
You did it right. 

• Like 1