Here's a puzzling riddle?

If you had to drive from Las Cruces N.M. to Galveston TX in mid December (yes, I said "had to") where would you stop to split it up?  Places to stay a couple nights between stints.  Places that are relatively safe, interesting with a few airbnb type places to stay warm and dry...?  Any sincere suggestions appreciated!

2 minutes ago, mundt said:

Are Odessa or Midland both death traps?

Yes.

With a crime rate of 41 per one thousand residents, Odessa has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities. One's chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime here is one in 25.

https://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Midland-Texas.html

1 minute ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Midland, TX. Stay with us. No smoking or trying to bang the wife or DIL.

Well... What fun would that be?.....:D

• Like 1

Eight hours of driving should put you in San Antonio, barring any ice storms.  Lots of BnBs in the historic King William District on the edge of downtown and just a few minutes from Interstate 10.  Friends have stayed at a couple on Madison Street and liked them.

I used to live in Odesolate when I was oil field trash.  Stay out of the bars and you won't get into fights.  Midland, just down the highway, is white collar oil field trash.  Bars are probably safer there.  CAF is worth the side quest.

Maybe hit the McDonald Observatory near Ft Stockton for a star party or day tour.  Some BnBs in the area.

2 minutes ago, RedTuna said:

I used to live in Odesolate when I was oil field trash.  Stay out of the bars and you won't get into fights.  Midland, just down the highway, is white collar oil field trash.  Bars are probably safer there.  CAF is worth the side quest.

Maybe hit the McDonald Observatory near Ft Stockton for a star party or day tour.  Some BnBs in the area.

Hey! I'm right here!

OK. He's right.  I am, in fact, oilfield trash. The Petroleum Museum has the original Chaparral race cars, which were built here. Most Wednesdays there a rotating cast of blues musicians at my home. It might get loud.  We have 2 empty bdrms. 

Marfa is cool, I have wells around Ft. Stockton. 

My wife is from Las Cruces. She makes the world's best green chile chicken enchiladas. Her Mom was the 2nd woman cop in NM. 

7 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Hey! I'm right here!

OK. He's right.  I am, in fact, oilfield trash. The Petroleum Museum has the original Chaparral race cars, which were built here. Most Wednesdays there a rotating cast of blues musicians at my home. It might get loud.  We have 2 empty bdrms. 

Marfa is cool, I have wells around Ft. Stockton. 

My wife is from Las Cruces. She makes the world's best green chile chicken enchiladas. Her Mom was the 2nd woman cop in NM. 

I guess I was typing while you posted.  I say oil field trash with much fondness in my heart.  I probably would not have gone back to school and become an engineer were it not for them.

I did not realize the Chaparrals were built in Midland or that they were there.  Hall's CanAms blew my mind in the mid-60s.

2 hours ago, mundt said:

If you had to drive from Las Cruces N.M. to Galveston TX in mid December (yes, I said "had to") where would you stop to split it up?  Places to stay a couple nights between stints.  Places that are relatively safe, interesting with a few airbnb type places to stay warm and dry...?  Any sincere suggestions appreciated!

well, I'd take a side trip to Marfa...  or maybe Alpine   then maybe instead of San Antonio , go to Fredricksburg...  

Fredricksburg is 8 hours from Las Cruces, lots of B&B's and I-10 goes right passed it... then it's only 4 hours to Galveston.

then just find a route to Galveston..   I highly suggest St Arnold's brewery in Houston     and Range Creek Brewery / Distillary in San Antonio

1 hour ago, mundt said:

Trying to keep each leg under 8 hours.  Also wondering about Galveston to Pensacola...?

they're ain't much between Houston and Pensacola..    I've stayed downtown Mobile , there are interesting places downtown, plus a battleship , USS Alabama , you can visit, then it's a short hop over to Pensa..

but then again, it's only 8 hours all the way through to Pensacola from Galveston, depending on traffic on i-10

8 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

they're ain't much between Houston and Pensacola..   

Except for Louisiana, where you can get the best food in the US.

Go a bit out of the way at Scott, Exit 97 just west of Lafayette, and get cracklings and boudin. Don’t go to the immediate shops, head north a bit on Hwy 93 to the Best Stop and experience an excellent choice of Louisiana boucherie. Their smoked boudin is super.

https://www.beststopinscott.com

Then you can crash in Lafayette, which is the capital (more or less) of Cajun culture and there is plenty to see there. And it’s about halfway.

Observe the speed limit on the Atchafalaya bridge both bc it is well monitored and it’s scenic crossing the Basin.

Try to get through BR, Slidell during not-rush hours. The tunnel in Mobile jams up for weekends and holidays. Just past downtown Mobile on the Causeway is Felix’s Fish Camp, where the turtle soup is good.

The only culture in Pensacola is on a Petri dish. 

8 hours ago, Dorado said:

There's a really good Mexican restaurant in San Antonio called La Fonda. They serve Red Tuna there. Hell, they'll serve anybody ! :)

There are a lot of really good Mexican restaurants in San Antonio!   And the peopel there are quite friendly and obviously tolerate riff raff such as you fishy types.  :lol:

• Like 1

The problem with your drive is that Sonora is the mid way point, and there is nothing there. Kerrville  is nicer, but unless things have changed, there's only a few places to stay. If the wife is with you, James Avery has a large store in Kerrville. San Antonio is with it's Riverwalk and historic Missions is your best bet for night life/entertainment if you leave arrive early enough to enjoy them.

The speed limit on I 10 between Kerrville and El Paso is 80, and you can pretty much do the entire section at 90 - 95.

6 hours ago, Max Rockatansky said:

Except for Louisiana, where you can get the best food in the US.

Go a bit out of the way at Scott, Exit 97 just west of Lafayette, and get cracklings and boudin. Don’t go to the immediate shops, head north a bit on Hwy 93 to the Best Stop and experience an excellent choice of Louisiana boucherie. Their smoked boudin is super.

https://www.beststopinscott.com

Then you can crash in Lafayette, which is the capital (more or less) of Cajun culture and there is plenty to see there. And it’s about halfway.

Observe the speed limit on the Atchafalaya bridge both bc it is well monitored and it’s scenic crossing the Basin.

Try to get through BR, Slidell during not-rush hours. The tunnel in Mobile jams up for weekends and holidays. Just past downtown Mobile on the Causeway is Felix’s Fish Camp, where the turtle soup is good.

The only culture in Pensacola is on a Petri dish. 

i agree, but with the multiple hurricanes, I don't know what shape everything is in,     one of my favorite places to eat is in Henderson just off i-10 , Pat's Fisherman's Wharf..    exit I-10 at 347  turn left on 352 (main street) and stay on till you run into the dike.. it's on the left

37 minutes ago, Remodel said:

The problem with your drive is that Sonora is the mid way point, and there is nothing there. Kerrville  is nicer, but unless things have changed, there's only a few places to stay. If the wife is with you, James Avery has a large store in Kerrville. San Antonio is with it's Riverwalk and historic Missions is your best bet for night life/entertainment if you leave arrive early enough to enjoy them.

The speed limit on I 10 between Kerrville and El Paso is 80, and you can pretty much do the entire section at 90 - 95.

Kerrville is a bore unless the folk festival is going on but that's not in december..   Fredricksburg has a nice downtown to walk,  good brewery to eat at.. and if you want something to do for an afternoon,  go to Enchanted Rock and climb to the top...      national museum of the pacific war is there too..

16 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Hey! I'm right here!

I'd take him up on that..

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

i agree, but with the multiple hurricanes, I don't know what shape everything is in,     one of my favorite places to eat is in Henderson just off i-10 , Pat's Fisherman's Wharf..    exit I-10 at 347  turn left on 352 (main street) and stay on till you run into the dike.. it's on the left

All of I-10 is well north of any hurricane effects

and it’s called a ‘levee’ : dikes are in Holland and in certain bars

• Like 2
3 hours ago, bmiller said:
19 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Hey! I'm right here!

I'd take him up on that..

#meto                              :)

Thanks for the good info so far.  My main goals are:

1. Keep each segment under 8 hours if possible.

2. Not get murdered.

3. Not get my vehicle jacked.

4. See some interesting places while not being murdered or jacked.

5. Spend less than Elon Musk makes in 1 nanosecond.

Keep the suggestions coming!

56 minutes ago, mundt said:

2. Not get murdered.

well when you drive through texas and see this guy hitchhiking, don't pick him up...    otherwise you'll be just fine...

No-Country-for-Old-Men-2007-featured.jpg

• Like 2
On 11/18/2021 at 7:46 PM, Ventucky Red said:

A whole lot of nothing between El Paso and San Antonio.  But if you want to go off the beaten path head north on I20 to Odessa and Midland for the CAF museum.

https://commemorativeairforce.org/aircraft

Why do you need to make things so complicated?  Aside I spent a day at a Spitfire Museum in Kent UK a few years ago.

6 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

#meto                              :)

She's Mayfield High, Class of 1973

17 hours ago, Dorado said:

Try to relax  . . .

It's not like you have to go through Chicago

So what’s wrong with Chi town?  I don’t live there (4 hours away) but go frequently.  Never been/felt threatened.

On 11/18/2021 at 7:49 PM, mundt said:

Is either Odessa or Midland a death trap?

Odessa is very working class, welders, roughnecks, bars, strip joints.

Midland is management, engineers, geologists, lots of millionaires, private jets, exotic cars. There is another side of town, easy enough to avoid.

Again, you're welcome to stay with us in Midland, if you wish.  I'll make you a dark & stormy or G&T and feed you well. We can talk sailing.

3 hours ago, 130lights said:

So what’s wrong with Chi town?  I don’t live there (4 hours away) but go frequently.  Never been/felt threatened.

Oh you know, gangsters, prohibition, Al Capone, Mrs O'Leary's cow, that goat who couldn't get a seat at Wrigley, Democratic Conventions, Dick Butkus. You know, scary shit.

22 hours ago, mundt said:

2. Not get murdered.

in addition, don't drive your rainbow colored vehicle..

don't talk politics

tell everyone  you left the guns locked up  in the car safe

insist brisket is the only bbq and tex-mex is the only mexican food worth having

if someone asks if you want a coke, it means any soda of your choice

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Dorado said:

Oh you know, gangsters, prohibition, Al Capone, Mrs O'Leary's cow, that goat who couldn't get a seat at Wrigley, Democratic Conventions, Dick Butkus. You know, scary shit.

Well, I used to work in Detroit, so the ChiTown shit doesn’t phase me at all. My brothers all tell me to avoid it, but I don’t choose to live my life in fear.  I don’t want to get too complacent living in this small Lake Michigan town.

1 minute ago, 130lights said:

Well, I used to work in Detroit, so the ChiTown shit doesn’t phase me at all. My brothers all tell me to avoid it, but I don’t choose to live my life in fear.  I don’t want to get too complacent living in this small Lake Michigan town.

What our you packeng?

2 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Ime am OK withe hime...........                     :)

Me too…brought back some good memories. I’ll just have to spend more time next year hanging out on the docks and find myself another sailor. 

1 hour ago, Dorado said:

You forgot pizza.  I heard about Chicago pizza for decades and on the half dozen trips I made through there never found one that didn't suck.  And that was after asking around.

You maye wantne to rethick youre planne.......               :)

I might have to do that, but the fishermen don’t interest me at all. Very few sailors, many fishing types here.  

1 minute ago, RedTuna said:

You forgot pizza.  I heard about Chicago pizza for decades and on the half dozen trips I made through there never found one that didn't suck.  And that was after asking around.

Ist deepe dishe pizza realley juste reffered to as pizza?  I thick no...............                 :)

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, RedTuna said:

Just my opinion, but Buddy’s Pizza in Detroit is better than any in ChiTown. 

• Like 1

Youre assumptiones mabey cloudeng you visione........                :)

Mabey! Been hanging out with sailors for years, Even have a nephew that worked the VOR for 2 years…got to travel the circuit with them.

15 minutes ago, 130lights said:

I might have to do that, but the fishermen don’t interest me at all. Very few sailors, many fishing types here.  

Whoa whoa whoa! The Dode fishes. This will not stand, ya know, this aggression will not stand, madam !

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Greate!  So howe cane you notte telle the diffrence betweene sailores an fisherman?  Askeng foire a frende............         :)

Well, the boats and rigging are dead giveaways.  I can tell the difference!  Salmon fishing is a huge thing here.

1 minute ago, 130lights said:
8 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Greate!  So howe cane you notte telle the diffrence betweene sailores an fisherman?  Askeng foire a frende............         :)

Well, the boats and rigging are dead giveaways.  I can tell the difference!  Salmon fishing is a huge thing here.

Sondes licke you haive the boates and associatte dhardware dowen fine, I wase askeng aboute the peopel that utilize them.                           :)

5 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Sondes licke you haive the boates and associatte dhardware dowen fine, I wase askeng aboute the peopel that utilize them.                           :)

Maybe I need to spend more time observing the fishermen. They go out early morning, then again late afternoon/early evening. (I know nothing about fishing, just ended up in this town where it’s a huge thing). And my town is probably 85/15 fishing/sailing. Lots of charter fishing. After Labor Day, the town is deserted again. Until the ice fishing starts.  I do have a funny story about a voice mail a fisherman left for me shortly after I moved in here…I laughed about it for years, and learned to keep my curtains closed! I’ll have to find a thread where it fits.

You, Mr. Snags, are a treasure :)

56 minutes ago, 130lights said:

Thack you.  Cane we gette backe to thisse poeste then?  Thackeng you in advanse..............               :)

8 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Thack you.  Cane we gette backe to thisse poeste then?  Thackeng you in advanse..............               :)

LOL!  What is the question? Why there are no sailors, or why the fishermen don’t seem interesting?

2 minutes ago, 130lights said:
17 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

LOL!  What is the question? Why there are no sailors, or why the fishermen don’t seem interesting?

You our sweete.  Youre poeste sayes "Very few sailors, many fishing types here."

Juste curinouse, what you our actiualley sayeng at that particulate time?      :)

15 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

You our sweete.  Youre poeste sayes "Very few sailors, many fishing types here."

Juste curinouse, what you our actiualley sayeng at that particulate time?      :)

The dearth of men that I find appealing around here. Lack of sailing types, lots of fishermen. Maybe because I’ve been around sailors forever, and these fishing guys seem to just keep their heads down and are all about the fish. No fun at all! Maybe I should take a fishing charter and see what it’s all about.  I know nada about fishing. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...