Binge Watching Netflix et alia???

I know there was an old thread on this, but I cannot find it now....??

After our 3rd booster shot we are comfortable going out sans mask to the stores, although all Medical practices and airports require them, and we're okay with that.   

One of our good mates, and former regular SA'er, "Regatta Dog" suggested to Missus BB that we check out "Yellowstone" with Kevin Costner, et alia.  It was difficult to get into after watching most of the first episode, and she gave up and left me to it myself.  Having been involved in Real Estate and residential development for most of my former career(s), I got interested enough to continue, so far.

Any other recommendations for cable series to check out, and possibly follow?

Thanks in advance....

4 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

After our 3rd booster shot we are comfortable going out sans mask to the stores, although all Medical practices and airports require them, and we're okay with that.   

One of our good mates, and former regular SA'er, "Regatta Dog" suggested to Missus BB that we check out "Yellowstone" with Kevin Costner, et alia.  It was difficult to get into after watching most of the first episode, and she gave up and left me to it myself.  Having been involved in Real Estate and residential development for most of my former career(s), I got interested enough to continue, so far.

Thanks in advance....

Plesae aske RD to rejoine as Gotta Dogge or somthinge, we misse hisse hyjinxe and silley talles frome the Grizze...............             :)

11 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Thanks in advance....

Counterpart on Amazon Prime.  Really good acting and a great premise, an accident splits the world In two different multiverses.  They are connected by a door and the two different worlds send people back and forth.  Over a period of 3o years the two worlds are starting to become very different, (one world has a pandemic that kills 700M) and they blame the other.  Terrorist infiltrators try to exact revenge.

Two seasons.

12 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Plesae aske RD to rejoine as Gotta Dogge or somthinge, we misse hisse hyjinxe and silley talles frome the Grizze...............             :)

Don't think he's interested in SA any longer, but will pass along your request.  2nd to last Sunday for Frostbite races, and I'm supposed to drive a mark boat, but it appears there will not be enough breeze to race, and the full moon tide starts ripping downriver at noon; so I expect to be back home on the couch watching Formula 1 by 1 PM..

10 hours ago, Dorado said:

Resurrection: Ertugrul

I can Grok Resurrection but WTF is Ertugrul????

I gotta agree with Yellowstone. Love Costner as the bad guy/ heavy struggling against a changing world. The family and crew all have tragic and fatal flaws but still somehow find their way forward and, uncharacteristically, the native Americans are the bad guys.   Perhaps the best part is the scenery and cinematography.

ETA, Netflix did a free preview to the season 4 opener last week and it was dyn-o-mite! You may want to rush through the first 3 seasons to catch up!

I'm always late to the party, but we're currently bingeing on Newsroom. I love Sorkin and the writing/ plot/ pacing here is like the West Wing on steroids.

No doubt you saw it last year, but I may go back and re-watch The Queen's Gambit. Who knew chess could be sexy?

20 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

I was on the mark boat with Regatta Dog today, moving marks around the river for hours, as the wind kept shifting, to attempt to maintain proper windward-leeward, and triangle courses.  He said the last time he communicated with Scooter, he tried to make nice with him, but wound up telling him to F*&K Off, so I don't think he has any interest in returning here to SA........

39 minutes ago, Willin' said:

I gotta agree with Yellowstone. Love Costner as the bad guy/ heavy struggling against a changing world. The family and crew all have tragic and fatal flaws but still somehow find their way forward and, uncharacteristically, the native Americans are the bad guys.   Perhaps the best part is the scenery and cinematography.

ETA, Netflix did a free preview to the season 4 opener last week and it was dyn-o-mite! You may want to rush through the first 3 seasons to catch up!

I'm always late to the party, but we're currently bingeing on Newsroom. I love Sorkin and the writing/ plot/ pacing here is like the West Wing on steroids.

No doubt you saw it last year, but I may go back and re-watch The Queen's Gambit. Who knew chess could be sexy?

Sounds like good advice, not sure I can sit through 3 seasons  before getting to the better stuff.   The whole idea was for us to watch stuff together, since I am retired now, and no longer got to bed at 9, to get up at 6, but she tired of this one after a half hour, and I watched until 11 or 12......

I've been watching Shameless.

Poor family with an alcoholic father battling through life.

Contains nudity, graphic sexual content, foul language and alcohol and drug abuse.

Most of it is funny as fuck but a few bits will almost make you cry, it does go into the poorly managed mental health side of things.  In-fact 1/2 the cast are of their rocker nut-cases.

It is crass, but it is good.

My son told me about this expecting me to hate it, I didn't, it's the live action adaptation of "Cowboy Bebop" purists will find quite a lot of changes, I personally didn't mind most of them & quite liked some. I daresay a lot of them elevated the roles of women in the series which I don't disagree with at all.

I would ignore the rotten tomatoes ranking on this series, those are from slavish idiots that wanted it be "exactly like the original", the sets & CGI in my opinion were very well done & the soundtrack from Yokko Kanno features songs from the original anime & entirely new pieces, I'm a strong buy on the album if produced.

On the off chance one of those purists reads this post, may I direct your attention to Mustafa Shakir's portrayal of Jet Black, fucking nailed it!

• Like 1

Watching "Virgin River" at the moment.  Some of it's sappy, and easy to figure out what's coming next, but enjoyable all the same.  Must try Yellowstone again, it seemed good the few times we watched it...

Netflix has a number of British cop series. Superior to the American ones because the characters (and actors) come across as real people - the Brits don't require the stars to all be pretty. Also some are set in places like the Shetlands and Wales so you get a different kind of background.

Also agree about Squid Game, it is compelling and horrible.

We got hooked on Yellowstone prior to the world of COVID vax. This waiting a week for a new episode sucks, but we are a couple weeks behind now, since we were on the road over Turkey Day week.

Another one I personally like is Star Trek Discovery. It is quite a bit different in my opinion than the standard Gene Rodenberry storylines of days gone by. I lost Mrs, HB on that one though..she kept falling asleep, but she has a switch on her ass, so there's that.

On 11/22/2021 at 4:30 AM, floating dutchman said:

Contains nudity, graphic sexual content, foul language and alcohol and drug abuse.

Most of it is funny as fuck but a few bits will almost make you cry, it does go into the poorly managed mental health side of things.  In-fact 1/2 the cast are of their rocker nut-cases.

Did you watch the English one or the US one?

2 hours ago, Black Sox said:
On 11/21/2021 at 8:30 PM, floating dutchman said:

Expand  

Did you watch the English one or the US one?

I got a few seasons into the English one and finally bailed after they'd abandoned all the interesting actors and characters they established in the first few seasons. The central character is irritating as fuck and the whole series is a kabuki performance of overtly criticizing him while quietly celebrating his dysfunction. Layer on all the English classist stereotyping of the poor and the Irish and I just couldn't stick with it once the stories lost any believability. 

On 11/22/2021 at 3:40 PM, Mark K said:

Squid Game is disgusting but still grabs ya. Tough love.    

Some of our friends loved Pinky Blinders, but the gratuitous violence turned us off after our first look.  This sounds similar???

3 minutes ago, IStream said:

Fluff, but fun fluff from a very talented cast.

My friends are trying to get us to watch this. I haven't stomached thru the first episode yet. It is getting cold & dark here though..probably be more TV time in my future.

It's very cartoonish for the first half of the first season but the characters steadily get more three dimensional as it progresses. Season 2 was better still.

It's not Shakespeare but it's expertly crafted popcorn entertainment. I set my expectations accordingly and enjoyed it quite a bit. 

1 hour ago, IStream said:

I got a few seasons into the English one and finally bailed after they'd abandoned all the interesting actors and characters they established in the first few seasons. The central character is irritating as fuck and the whole series is a kabuki performance of overtly criticizing him while quietly celebrating his dysfunction. Layer on all the English classist stereotyping of the poor and the Irish and I just couldn't stick with it once the stories lost any believability. 

More or less how I felt about it. Is the US version better? Worse?

Watched a lot of Yellowstone and enjoyed it until I got fed up with ongoing violence and bad attitudes. Hard to believe so much murder could take place in one local region without any sort of legal repercussions. Great acting but consistently quite negative.

Been watching some Lasso and enjoying it. Agree with the comment about season 1 v. season 2. Pretty lightwieght with some intelligent comedy and a good point thrown in every now and then as in "people become judgemental when they lose or ignore their curiosity".

I tend to get bored with most TV or streaming options somewhat quickly though.

• 1 month later...

Yesterday we discovered "This Is Us", not sure what network or streaming source?

Watched the Pilot and half the next episode, and this is a great show!!  I just have to figure out when it's a flashback, confusing as hell sometimes until I get used to it!

• Like 1

It is an NBC network show, but you are probably streaming This Is Us on Peacock these days. We have enjoyed that one too, Mandy Moore is cute as a button. It is one of the few where Mrs. HB and I have a "TV night", as we've kept up with the weekly series on NBC, which (the show) is coming to a close this spring I believe.

If you want another flashback/multiverse show to confuse you, try "Ordinary Joe", also on Peacock. :)

1883 on Paramount+, currently only 3 episodes plus a behind the show episode.

It's the origin story of the Yellowstone/Dutton family as they travel west out of Ft Worth, TX to MT via the Oregon Trail.  It's not a romantic take on pioneering... It's brutally realistic with GOT levels of death!

Production quality is off the charts good! Taylor Sheridan (creator/writer/director/actor of Yellowstone) sure likes westerns and he's really good at making them!

So far I give it 5/5 Snaggs!

13 minutes ago, Liquid said:

1883 on Paramount+, currently only 3 episodes plus a behind the show episode.

It's the origin story of the Yellowstone/Dutton family as they travel west out of Ft Worth, TX to MT via the Oregon Trail.  It's not a romantic take on pioneering... It's brutally realistic with GOT levels of death!

Production quality is off the charts good! Taylor Sheridan (creator/writer/director/actor of Yellowstone) sure likes westerns and he's really good at making them!

So far I give it 5/5 Snaggs!

Pardon my naivete, AGAIN!!  What does GOT stand for, please?  We have watched some of Yellowstone, and I liked it so far, but Missus BB, not so much..... 

If it's gratuitous, vicarious violence like Peaky Blinders, we won't like it....

And why does this fucking Dell computer keep changing my default browser to WAVE?  I keep changing it back to Google, then it does it again??  I even tried to delete Wave altogether with no success!!!!  GAWD, I hate change!!!

2 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Pardon my naivete, AGAIN!!  What does GOT stand for, please?  We have watched some of Yellowstone, and I liked it so far, but Missus BB, not so much.....  If it's vicarious violence like Peaky Blinders, we won't like it....

GOT = Game of Thrones

1883 is violent but it's also about human survival. Maybe watch episode one solo. Is Mrs BB into country music? Tim McGraw and Faith Hill are the leads...

I think Yellowstone is quite violent. Spoiler alert: I also find it strange that everybody that dies on or because of Yellowstone has no next of kin who wonder where they went after being on, near or affiliated with the Dutton ranch.... I keep expecting the FBI to show up at some point saying 'we've got a list of about 80 missing people last seen talking to or about you'!

Thanks for 'splaining it Liquid!   

Neither of us is a fan of Country music.  I like Smooth Jazz, and she prefers Sinatra et aux.....

Just now, billy backstay said:

Thanks for 'splaining it Liquid!   

Neither of us is a fan of Country music.  I like Smooth Jazz, and she prefers Sinatra et aux.....

I'm not a fan of country either...

But do watch 1883 and never complain about being stuck in traffic in your perfectly climate controlled car, listening to your favorite podcast while not having to contemplate what if/to kill for dinner!

14 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

Just started Ozark.  3 episodes in, today.  Going down the rabbit hole.

Ozark is very well done since the characters are quite ordinary people who end up in extraordinary situations because of poor decision-making. Wonder what the people of that part of Missouri think of it - probably love it or hate it, nothing in the middle.

On 11/21/2021 at 2:29 PM, Fakenews said:

Counterpart on Amazon Prime.  Really good acting and a great premise, an accident splits the world In two different multiverses.  They are connected by a door and the two different worlds send people back and forth.  Over a period of 3o years the two worlds are starting to become very different, (one world has a pandemic that kills 700M) and they blame the other.  Terrorist infiltrators try to exact revenge.

Two seasons.

One of my favorites !

Watched both series a couple of times on free to air here in Australia . Great actors and well done .

A Netflix fave of mine is' Bodyguard '.

English produced , well acted though a little gruewsome at times .

3 hours ago, mikewof said:

Et alia?

Yeah, my son got an Oculus, when he goes to sleep I binge on BeatSaber. I haven't watched Netflix or Hulu since the little electronic crack dealer came into the house.

Are your "real lives", that boring?? :lol:

5 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Are your "real lives", that boring?? :lol:

Netflix and Hulu are about as real as the tail in the well-thumbed girlie magazines at the barbershops of my youth. Good for lazy fuckers and potheads I guess, though.

The games on Oculus are physical activities; punching, slicing, moving. Trust me Boom Boom, you'll be back here crowing like the hen's pimp once you try it.

3 minutes ago, mikewof said:

Netflix and Hulu are about as real as the tail in the well-thumbed girlie magazines at the barbershops of my youth. Good for lazy fuckers and potheads I guess, though.

The games on Oculus are physical activities; punching, slicing, moving. Trust me Boom Boom, you'll be back here crowing like the hen's pimp once you try it.

Hey!!   That might replace my PT and gym membership for my arthritic knees?  Maybe a kick-boxing game?  Nah, I'd probably hurt myself! :(  The arthritic knees give me no pain or discomfort, but I have lost balance and control required for moving around on small or large racing boats, and I need that back, if I am going to return to my one and only hobby, besides F1 on the telly!  Actually my brother is giving me back my 20 YO Motobecane I gave him, and he never used.  Between that and the e-bike and making myself do my PT exercising and gym visits, I will hopefully be back in the game this spring...

12 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Hey!!   That might replace my PT and gym membership for my arthritic knees?  Maybe a kick-boxing game?  Nah, I'd probably hurt myself! :(  The arthritic knees give me no pain or discomfort, but I have lost balance and control required for moving around on small or large racing boats, and I need that back, if I am going to return to my one and only hobby, besides F1 on the telly!  Actually my brother is giving me back my 20 YO Motobecane I gave him, and he never used.  Between that and the e-bike and making myself do my PT exercising and gym visits, I will hopefully be back in the game this spring...

It's not to replace a gym membership, it's to replace vegetating on a couch.

And it will give you cardio benefits, you'll sweat it up, done right, but the real exercise if for the brain. This is what it looks like, it should help your knees, low impact. Jump rope is also good for knees because the joint impact is about 1/2 of running if you land on both feet.

The rules take about 30 seconds to learn; hit the red blocks with the red saber, the blue blocks with the blue saber, and hit the blocks in the direction of the little arrow on each block. Avoid bombs and dodge barriers by ducking or shifting. You're going to suck at compared to me, because you didn't waste half of your life on a skateboard with your reactions on crack-whore speed, but you will enjoy it.

6 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Serious hand-eye coordination!!

If you buy two of them, your wife can take one, and you take the other, and you can plow each other in real life while you bake cookies in the game. It's kind of a neat setup.

I recently got HBO Max which I haven’t had since the Sopranos ended.  They have some seriously good series.  Succession West Word and Station 11 are phenomenal with great actors.  In the middle of Yellowjackets which is also very good.

4 hours ago, mikewof said:

If you buy two of them, your wife can take one, and you take the other, and you can plow each other in real life while you bake cookies in the game. It's kind of a neat setup.

An alternative to sex for senior citizens??

20 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

An alternative to sex for senior citizens??

Not an alternative. An improvement. You get what you need in the outside world, she gets what she needs in the inside world.

I'm not gonna criticize anyone's kinks but this sounds like a desperate attempt to liven up a sad situation. Though the mental image it conjures is pretty fucking hilarious.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, IStream said:

I'm not gonna criticize anyone's kinks but this sounds like a desperate attempt to liven up a sad situation. Though the mental image it conjures is pretty fucking hilarious.

Aside from that weird-ass cookie sex game, it really screws with your head. There is a boxing game on there called Creed, yes it looks like a cartoon, but it is unnerving how I can't turn that off. When the game starts, it really feels like I am in the sparring ring, and I find myself doing things that the programming can't handle, and my old high school coach drilled into my brain with the force of an M-80. I parry, weave, duck and dodge, my feet move, and suddenly I find myself punching the fucking wall with my son laughing his ass off in the doorway.

And yes, it's nice to have a little punch-up without getting socked in the face by my friends. But the YouTube VR tourism vids are nuts. I took the tour of Petra in Jordan, it is like no slide show you could imagine ... it may not be hot or smell like the desert, but at least to the eyes, it seems that I was actually in Jordan. There is no way to properly describe it in words, except that the device really does trick the mind.

I just stumbled upon "Billions" on SHO!  

The primary actor was on Colbert's show last night, who I had never heard of, but Paul Giamatti is in a primary role, and I love his work!!

Watching the pilot now, and I love it!  Reminds me of the book and movie, "The Big Short", about Wall Street gazillionaires fleecing we the sheeple, while they scored Billions...  

And IIRC, none of the Wall Street charlatans went to jail?????