On behalf of a mate...

Here's a story...and it's not a great one.

Marc is a mate of mine, we first met decades ago when he was a kid and we were both living in Hawaii. Since then Marc Jacobi went on to sail at an elite level in a number of classes -  He's a top bloke and world class sailor who has been incredibly generous in supporting our sailing community, donating time, money and expertise to fleets around the world. Right now it's time to show some appreciation for that support.
His story is in the link. It's a tough one, but Marc is more than equal to the challenges he's facing.
Please help in whatever way you can and show Marc that the sailing fraternity is there when you need it.
Thank you.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-marc-sail-again?utm_source=customer&utm_medium=copy_link_all&utm_campaign=m_pd+share-sheet

Terrifying to go from world champ status to near death in just a few weeks...and all over a simple operation. One week Marc's doing sail training vids...next he's in a coma....yep..terrifying.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Couta said:

Terrifying to go from world champ status to near death in just a few weeks...and all over a simple operation. One week Marc's doing sail training vids...next he's in a coma....yep..terrifying.

It is a sad reminder that we can all be taken out in any given moment.  I spent six years racing road bikes (badly I might add!).  After my last crash in a crit race and with several broken bones, I realized I had to stop, before it stopped me for good.  We take enough risks in life as it is.

Heal up well soon, Marc.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Couta said:

Terrifying to go from world champ status to near death in just a few weeks...and all over a simple operation. 

Not sure any medical procedure involving the heart is simple, (and I’ve had a few). I just read an article on a study done on ablations, and the concluding sentence was “What is clear is that AF ablation is not a benign procedure, and mortality is a very real complication of the procedure.

All surgery involves  risk, and imo, is scary as shit.

I wish Marc well on his recovery.  From the videos, he seems to be doing well.

• Like 4

Done!

Thanks @Couta for this post! I don't know Marc but do know exactly how one can go from a perfectly healthy mid 50's guy to heart troubles (thanks to COVID19) in a very short period of time.

Marc - wishing you a very speedy full recovery.

• Like 1

Oooof -   I hadn't heard this.   Thank you for letting us know.   Marc was a teammate on the UH Sailing squad,  and a great sailor in every positive aspect.

I can remember doing Diamond Head runs in the Lasers on windy days and when you'd blow a gybe and dump the boat in the big offshore waves he'd be right back to you,  circling and counting out loud to hurry you along in the righting process.    The stoke that guy has for sailing is impressive.  I mean,  I thought I was into it until I met him. 

Seriously,  one of the nicer guys in the sport.

• Like 3

Reckon we mighta bumped into each other then....I met Marc when he was on that program....and we did some training together in lasers while I was there...even did a pac champs (?) with that crew out at Kaneohe YC. I was based there for several years '82 - '86....doing Pacific deliveries, odd jobs for Les V and Pirate Pete between regattas worldwide! Charlie D was running the UH Sailing program (Legend) and another coupla mates of mine - Mike Ratiani and Sam Kerner - were assisting...good times!

Certainly we could fill these forums with names of people who need help and links to fundraising pages. 
I believe this one should be here because Marc has spent years helping other sailors to better enjoy sailing. I don’t know if RS sailing compensates him for some of his AERO work, but before that he spent decades helping the rest of us make our Lasers go better. 
   I have enjoyed many pre-regatta tune up sessions where Marc was eagerly tuning and coaching anyone willing to play with him. 
  In fact, I have passed a lot of what I learned from Marc on to other sailors. 
    I figure, now is a good time to help him fora change. None of us will miss a few bucks.

Link to the gofundme page

• Like 4

Well said Gouvernail..and thank you...that's exactly the sentiment that I feel and the reason I've shared this. Marc's work has been so energetic and his positive influence on the sport so wide, that his efforts deserve recognition...not that he'd ever expect that. Right now he could do with a hand. "A few bucks" is not just a small "thanks" for the work he's done...it'll get him back to what he loves...and we, who love the sport, will all benefit!

• Like 2

While Marc has been committed to single handed sailing...his contribution to the sport has certainly gone way beyond that. I think his focus on single handers like Lasers and Aeros has been because there'd be few that could match his enthusiasm!

• Like 1

Although Thanksgiving is a US holiday...celebrating gratitude is something everyone can get behind...so if you're grateful for all that you have in your life and you'd like to share that feeling with others, please consider donating to Marc's recovery...or maybe just share the link...or better still...do both!

Updates (1)

Update on Marc's progress....

Todayby Madhavan ThirumalaiOrganizer
Well, what a week!

Marc and I are humbled by such an outpouring of support for him. At the time of this writing, you have so generously donated over $34,250 in just one week. That is simply amazing. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Marc has had an up and down week. First, we had a little scare, actually big scare, two days ago with swelling on his left side due to fluid build up. He was sent by ambulance from the rehab in New Britain back to Yale / New Haven to be checked out. The cardio-thoracic team there did not see a need for additional surgery or intervention, and he was sent back to rehab that night. That’s the good news. But we still don’t know the root cause of the swelling. However, his vitals are good and he is feeling strong.

This morning we had another scare. Marc was given Lasix to eliminate the fluid build up on the left side. The drug caused his BP to drop precipitously and the staff had to give him fluids to bring his BP back up to healthy level.

Marc was scheduled to come back home on Wednesday but his return has been postponed by a few days. We think that’s a good thing - best to bring him home when he’s a little more stable and the fluid is better understood and under control.

We are making a plan to have someone stay with him and care for him during this important period of recovery. Friends will fly in from Florida and Atlanta in December and January. Not all weeks are covered yet but we are working on it ....

On the home front we have been getting Marc’s home ready. We have finished up a WIP sidings projects (see the picture of the front of his house), More importantly, we've made it safe for someone with limited mobility and a compromised left arm, and cleaned and tidied.

As you know, our target is $100,000 and while it is brilliant that we have gone this far so quickly, it is important that we don’t lose the momentum.

Marc wouldn’t ask himself, so let me ask instead. Could you forward this to two of your friends who may know Marc or know what it’s like to recover from such a serious illness? Please share so we can achieve our goals, and get Marc recovered and back on the water soon.

Yours, very sincerely,
Madhavan
Help support Marc and his journey to sailing again! Longshore Sailing School is thrilled to be able to donate a Laser for auction. Located between Westport, CT and Dartmouth, MA? I would be happy to deliver to you right in time for Christmas https://www.32auctions.com/HelpMarcSailAgain?fbclid=IwAR3IP_VSuE_B4c_m6TkKQD2L5Al7KIqF8LwxCarP8lXTd3SHvpcPiBKoo4s
  • Like 1

Longshore Sailing School is auctioning off a 2021 complete Laser, used for eight weeks of summer sailing. Included are full rig spars, fins, running rigging and an Intensity practice sail. Everything you need to get on the water NOW!

Proceeds are to help get Marc back to full recovery, so dig deep!

Here's the link:

https://www.32auctions.com/HelpMarcSailAgain?fbclid=IwAR3IP_VSuE_B4c_m6TkKQD2L5Al7KIqF8LwxCarP8lXTd3SHvpcPiBKoo4s

• 2 weeks later...

Chatted with Marc this morning looking for an update....his assessment is: "Can move my hand pretty well, but shoulder and upper arm still weak."

He's totally overwhelmed by the response so far...so just passing on his "Thanks" 

Xmas Day here Down Under....and thoughts go out to those who are unwell and unable to share this time with family and friends....especially our mate Marc who is back in hospital. It's been a tough year for many...

Enjoy the holidays. Stay safe. Look after each other. 

Couta standing bye.

Happiest NY to the amazing SA Tribe...lots to look forward to...and thanks to the generosity of so many here...Marc's future is definitely looking up.

Thanks to all who have made the effort to share the story...thanks to those who have thrown a few bucks in the hat....and thanks to those who are working with Marc on his road to recovery.

And if you'd like to start the NY feeling extra good about yourself...fling some change at Marc's page. Every $ really does count!

Cheers

Couta

• 2 weeks later...

The support of the sailing community is simply wonderful to observe.

each of us could give up some $$$ without having to miss a meal.

but… if you are like me and the Holliday’s provided you with lots of extra food, maybe missing a meal would  be a good thing. 

How about skipping  visit to the fast food joint and tossing that moneyed here??

Marc’s Gofundme link