Soapstone sink repair

If the seam is still reasonably tight, I'd suggest you look into a Cyanoacrylate glue (crazy glue). Some are better for stone. Use a thin glue and it'll wick into tight seams. I've also used compressed air to force it deeper into joints.  

On 11/24/2021 at 2:12 AM, tDot said:

If the seam is still reasonably tight, I'd suggest you look into a Cyanoacrylate glue (crazy glue). Some are better for stone. Use a thin glue and it'll wick into tight seams. I've also used compressed air to force it deeper into joints.  

Great idea. In case you weren’t aware, CA is available in black, so no additional colorant is necessary. You can also get accelerator to make it harden instantly, but you must be careful as the accelerant can sometime discolor the CA. Try some tests first. 

Glue:

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/supplies/glue-and-adhesive/glues/stewmac-super-glues/stewmac-tinted-super-glue/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=2021-11-gp&gclid=Cj0KCQiAkZKNBhDiARIsAPsk0Wix95h7cAK-2yZuSFtBSAbvFiK9i6J5lgOdbueF4U9KOMyOpBfA3z4aAgXyEALw_wcB

Accelerator:

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/supplies/glue-and-adhesive/glues/stewmac-super-glues/stewmac-aerosol-accelerator-for-super-glue-0d6bedf3/

If you have bits of the soapstone available, or can sand on your sink to take out scratches and dings, just sand it and use the sanding dust to tint the epoxy. You can make a lot of soapstone dust quite quickly. Usually you can make repairs that are near invisible, even to some pretty good dings. Soapstone works easily with standard (carbide) woodworking tools, so sanding out scratches or rounding over chipped edges are options. Rounded over edges are much less likely to chip. 

Epoxy is what the pros use for fabrication and repair, CA might work to glue on a tight fitting chip, but won't fill big gaps. I've used epoxy just filled with the stone dust and had excellent results. 

As a side note, soapstone wax, which is mostly carnauba, makes a much more durable finish than does oiling the stone.