Jump to content

TheOceanCleanup. "Good as gold, mate."


Recommended Posts

The TeamSeas campaign reminded me that I hadn't looked at TheOceanCleanup in a long time. The old threads seem to have gone to the SA grave. A recap, IIRC:

In 2013 TOC set out to clean up the Pacific "garbage patch" over 10 years using a mid-ocean net anchored to the sea floor. However, their talented engineers and scientists discovered that the ocean is deep there.

Unperturbed the team designed a net pulled around the patch by sea anchors hooked into the Ekman motion. However, the motion of the ocean was more complicated than the text-book illustrations had suggested and the sea-anchors didn't work. 

Undaunted they set out a small mid ocean boom. However, they discovered that the open ocean can be rough at times, the boom broke up, and their flotsam had to be towed to Hawaii.

Today, things are different, of course. The staff of 80+ with ~$100MM, and a few years of work have purchased  invented a garbage boom and a seine net. And now, they're ready to clean up that Ocean by 2040! No worries. They've got this.

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I met Boyan Slat,

Founder and partial owner of the Ocean Clean up. The moment he raised enough money to achieve his remarkable achievement he was 21 years old.
1696642689_BoyanSlatOceanclean-up..jpg.db2f4936b89e148e8e9646fbfbf5e240.jpg
He was so busy with the project he hardly couldn't finish his Masters at the Technical University Delft.
Not sure he finally made it. The project was something for senior project managers as I am. The whole town supported him on voluntairy basis.

The results he recenty achieved, are very good.
190751764_dws-oceancleanupbigfishonboard1-211008-Oceans-System-002-Trip-2-Offload-S1H-DvdK-53-scaled.thumb.jpg.3df1a8c228ab14d942507bc1c9a6e336.jpg
https://theoceancleanup.com/

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Let me get this straight: some of you are whining about a young person trying to clean up our mess? 

We collectively made such a garbage dump of the oceans. Are we just going to do nothing? Independent of political viewpoints any sailor has witnessed first hand that the waters, rivers, lakes, canals, and the seas, are full of trash. We should all invest in cleaning up! Donate your time or money, whatever you have available. It can start on your local beach: next time bring a garbage bag and pick up some trash.  

  • Like 11
Link to post
Share on other sites

While I agree that they have not achieved their targets for cleaning the garbage floating in the ocean I believe they deserve credit for thinking big and giving it a go. And they probably still collected more trash than anyone else.

However, I think their interceptors are a huge success story. It is a great idea to stop pollution at (or just behind) the source, it creates jobs and business opportunities, it raises awareness. More of those and we have the first significant improvement of the situation.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, AnotherSailor said:

Let me get this straight: some of you are whining about a young person trying to clean up our mess? 

No. That's not it at all.

I see the trash. I spend more time on and in the ocean than most. I habitually remove trash from the oceans and beaches. I collected some this morning. With my own hands I have removed kilos of trash from the "garbage patch" and taken it to California. I'm perfectly aware that if I'd thrown that trash back into the ocean it wouldn't have made any difference at scale. I thought the effort was worthwhile anyway. I think raising awareness and and doing what work may come to hand is good. I love to see other people doing the same and it's even better if they start at it when they're young. While I think BS's concepts for cleaning the pacific gyre have been hopelessly poorly thought-out and can not work as represented I don't have a problem with that. It is wonderful that he cares about it and in engaged with it.

However, selling patent medicine or faith cures can do real harm.  10...9...8..7...

Gently, now. I'm not saying that there is any bad faith involved here. I think it's quite possible that everyone involved has the best of intentions and believes in what they are doing.

The thing as I see it is they have said that they will use specific technology that they have developed to clean the patch in a specific time frame. Folks who have sent them money could reasonably believe that they are funding a specific solution to a specific problem. With that problem solved they can feel good and move on. But that problem is not solved. It's still growing. TOC is not going to make a meaningful dent in it using anything they're presented so far.

To be clear I'm only talking about TOC's direct cleanup of the "garbage patch" tech. As was pointed out by many (including me) when they stated; working at the problem where the trash is more concentrated and more accessible is certain to give better returns on effort. Trash booms on drainage are cheap and effective. Well done to them for working on improvements to that tech. Indeed, the more they do of that and the less they sell unworkable, techno-babble, deep ocean operations the better, IMO.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, weightless said:

The TeamSeas campaign reminded me that I hadn't looked at TheOceanCleanup in a long time. The old threads seem to have gone to the SA grave. A recap, IIRC:

In 2013 TOC set out to clean up the Pacific "garbage patch" over 10 years using a mid-ocean net anchored to the sea floor. However, their talented engineers and scientists discovered that the ocean is deep there.

Unperturbed the team designed a net pulled around the patch by sea anchors hooked into the Ekman motion. However, the motion of the ocean was more complicated than the text-book illustrations had suggested and the sea-anchors didn't work. 

Undaunted they set out a small mid ocean boom. However, they discovered that the open ocean can be rough at times, the boom broke up, and their flotsam had to be towed to Hawaii.

Today, things are different, of course. The staff of 80+ with ~$100MM, and a few years of work have purchased  invented a garbage boom and a seine net. And now, they're ready to clean up that Ocean by 2040! No worries. They've got this.

 

 

remeber edison tested 1,200 light bulbs before he found one that worked for him

Link to post
Share on other sites

@weightless you are very poorly wired if you think that efforts to clean up trash are a faith cure and in some way misleading.

You claim how much time you spend on the ocean as if that makes you some expert worthy of commentary.

Yet to besmirch efforts to remove millions of tonnes from an inhospitable environment of such vastness and remoteness that is almost incomprehensible; and say that their timescales have slipped and their initial plans were found wanting is a cheap shot and achieves nothing.

Publish your own efforts for public scrutiny before you judge others.

Same for all you other morons also taking cheap shots.....

It starts locally and individually, by calling out anti social or anti ethical behaviour. Be that littering, bullying, acting like a dick or a thousand other douche worthy things - and then you apply consistently and in grander terms and situations to make our places better. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, AnotherSailor said:

Let me get this straight: some of you are whining about a young person trying to clean up our mess? 

We collectively made such a garbage dump 

We should all invest in cleaning up! Donate your time or money, whatever you have available. It can start on your local beach: next time bring a garbage bag and pick up some trash.  

You from Frisco coming up w dat ..... :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Gang Smash & Grab all over yer city

reports saying The City is facing law-suites over POOP Related Slip and falls

while gang members were evading the other gangs trying to Rob them of their ill gotten gain

12 hours ago, neuronz said:

While I agree that they have not achieved their targets for cleaning the garbage floating in the ocean I believe they deserve credit for thinking big and giving it a go.

So you say Hot Rod is a hero - in-spite of the Garbage he didn't clean up ??

 

Troubling !!

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

You from Frisco coming up w dat ..... :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Gang Smash & Grab all over yer city

reports saying The City is facing law-suites over POOP Related Slip and falls

while gang members were evading the other gangs trying to Rob them of their ill gotten gain

 

Funny... the fact that my (previous) location (which was not "Frisco" anyway) is made fun of by some not to be named news outlet convinces you that the ocean is not a mess... Stupid people can be found anywhere. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Required equipment on all ocean racing boats could be a long handled net (like a pool skimmer).  Reward of X amount of time subtracted from elapsed time for X amount (weight?) of trash collected while racing.  Collecting has to be documented by cell phone video to reduce cheating.  

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

it's an ambitious program, and slander it all you want. but he is turning his idea into reality and learning by doing to improve the system.

but yeah, you can complain that what he does, is not enough. 

how many tries to get this baby right....

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...