Joe Biden Saves Christmas, and Santa's job

Walmart CEO Credits Biden with Supply Chain Improvement after Weeks of Conservative Hysteria

President Joe Biden's administration took action to combat these issues, such as expanding the Port of Los Angeles' hours to 24/7, securing commitments from top importers to expedite shipping container removal, and signing off on 100 day reviews of vulnerabilities in the supply chain. 

That didn't stop conservative pundits and lawmakers from seizing upon this vulnerability. Former presidential counsellor Kellyanne Conway falsely claimed there were no supply chain issues under Trump. Conservative talk show hosts like Fox News' Laura Ingraham painted Biden as a grinch who ruined Christmas—weeks before the Christmas season even began. 

While there are still obstacles in getting the global supply chain back to its former efficiency, the specter of late gifts and barren shelves presented by conservatives is at odds with recent comments made by Doug McMillon, the CEO of Walmart—the country's largest importer last year. 

In comments to MSNBC's Stephanie Ruhle, McMillon said: 

"The combination of private enterprise and government working together has been really successful. We've had a lot of participation, been able to participate in solving some of these congestion issues, so I would like to give the administration credit for helping do things like get the ports open 24 hours a day, to open up some of the trucking lines, ... and then all the way through the supply chain there's been a lot of innovation ... Each month of the quarter got stronger. The number of containers that we're moving through the ports has grown significantly." 

......SNIP"

https://secondnexus.com/doug-mcmillon-biden-supply-chain 

2 minutes ago, chum said:

Does this qualify as a whackadoodle Lefty thread? Or is this just flooding the zone with bullshit?

I know a trucker in LA who says there aren’t enough drivers, this was just the other day.

I always check my local trucker for the best economic advice.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, chum said:

Does this qualify as a whackadoodle Lefty thread? Or is this just flooding the zone with bullshit?

I know a trucker in LA who says there aren’t enough drivers, this was just the other day.

So, increase the wages and recruit more truckers. Why do you hate capitalism?

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, chum said:

Talking about old news, as of last week the port was not operating 24\7 that’s a fact jack.

The ILWU is not saying a word about port congestion. You would think that would be the topic of the day, the only thing printed this month is Biden's urge to operate 24/7.

5 minutes ago, chum said:

I take that back, that crane appears to be unloading in the webcam, that would be good news, if it means we’re at 24/7, which we weren’t as of last week.

We've been 24/7 for at least 11 days, some terminals are cleaning up their traffic jams to operate fully, that's why your trucker doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground.

31 minutes ago, chum said:

Another reason for the backlog, also too many empty containers in the way. All that aside, the op said it was 24/7 ops, as of last week it was not, that’s all. I want it to go 24/7, my drone parts are in those containers.

Buy American next time.

Just now, chum said:

eroka said that a shortage of truck drivers and nighttime warehouse workers pose problems in establishing a 24/7 schedule, along with getting importers to embrace expanded hours: “It’s an effort to try to get this entire orchestra of supply chain players to get on the same calendar.”

No doubt that it's a difficult job to speed up an already busy operation, A 25% reduction in the number of import containers, and a reduction in sitting containers down by 29% is good news. Thank you for the article.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, chum said:

eroka said that a shortage of truck drivers and nighttime warehouse workers pose problems in establishing a 24/7 schedule, along with getting importers to embrace expanded hours: “It’s an effort to try to get this entire orchestra of supply chain players to get on the same calendar.”

How are those port issues?

Now what? I’m sure no apology will be forthcoming here, that’s not how we roll...

Apology for what? Your cameras are a live feed of exiting and returning containers. It's currently 8:27 Monday evening. Maersk is one of the largest carriers, it looks like they are working hard to me.

• President Day, the third Monday in February - Limited
  • Cesar Chavez’ Birthday, March 31st- Limited
  • Memorial Day, the last Monday in May - Limited
  • Independence Day, July 4th - Terminal is Closed
  • Bloody Thursday, July 5th - Terminal is Closed
  • Harry Bridges Day, July 28th - Limited
  • Labor Day, the first Monday in September - Terminal is Closed
  • Columbus Day, second Monday in October - Limited
  • Veteran’s Day, November 11th - Limited
  • Thanksgiving Day, the fourth Thursday in November - Terminal is Closed
  • Christmas Eve, December 24th - Limited
  • Christmas Day, December 25th - Terminal is Closed
  • Every day proclaimed by the President of the United States or Governor Of the State of California to be a legal holiday.

english is hard!

That's all next year! What are you trying to prove?

14 minutes ago, chum said:

Lol apparently youve never seen gates under normal operations, the exits are damn near EMPTY. Weird hill to die on Cap, as someone once said here...

Dumdum, that's a rolling clock, busy one minute, slow the next. It's the daily total that counts.

1 hour ago, chum said:

Another reason for the backlog, also too many empty containers in the way. All that aside, the op said it was 24/7 ops, as of last week it was not, that’s all. I want it to go 24/7, my drone parts are in those containers.

You're droning just fine.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, chum said:

It’s your OP FFS! You prove it. I’ve offered solid evidence 5 days old, eyewitness accounts and webcams showing idle cranes!

The crane is clearly moving over an empty ship right now.

24/7 operations only required if there's something to do.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, chum said:

Oh yeah? I know a guy who's brother says that his cousin told him the guy you know is full of shit.

So there.

- DSK

10 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

So port management are responsible for truck drivers and warehousing?

In some regards, yes. Truckers coming into the port area for loading.

The real problem is that the port is undersized and underequipped for the traffic load. They need more land in a very expensive place, and better/bigger/faster cranes. And of course, training. They've needed it for years.

This is what happens when people with a slum lord attitude control investment in infrastructure.

- DSK

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

Christmas? 
I thought that was a culturally insensitive word, there might be many people that are triggered by the usage of the word 

Nah.  That whole "war on Christmas" is a ploy ginned up by the right to keep the rabble roused.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Lark said:

... the problem now is a shortage of chassis.  ...

The Ports of LA/LB are multimodal. Yeah, they load containers onto trucks but they also load them onto trains. Shortage of chassis doesn't explain trains.

It isn't the stacking height limits of the Communist Enclave of Long Beach as Ryan Petersen, CEO of Flexport, suggested. The mayor of LB immediately issued a variance for that. That isn't even a burp in the traffic and those fire department stacking heights are pretty common. Also if you look at the port pictures, they don't apply to the port itself. That said, Petersen is really smart.

It isn't Dumb Chum's Biden's vax mandate cancelled Christmas either. The ports have been vaccinating longshoremen and seafarers since February. They were basically first in line even before granny.

It isn't the capacity of the #1 and #2 largest ports in the US. It ain't that because port volume is down from 2020.

It isn't lack of working hours although Biden ordered them open 24/7.  Truckers show up by appointment and those logistics are managed. And Dumb Chum's buddy who's a trucker knows squat. That's why he's a trucker.

Demurrage and dwell fines aren't solving the problem although shipping companies sure are happy to collect them. Shipping companies are making bank of this crisis.

There are no simple answers. What is Going on With Shipping? w/Sal Mercogliano and gCaptain are good sources of information.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

In some regards, yes. Truckers coming into the port area for loading.

The real problem is that the port is undersized and underequipped for the traffic load. They need more land in a very expensive place, and better/bigger/faster cranes. And of course, training. They've needed it for years.

This is what happens when people with a slum lord attitude control investment in infrastructure.

- DSK

No, it ain't that. Port volume for LA/LB is down from 2020. These are already the #1 and #2 largest ports in the US. And they don't skimp on infrastructure. They invest billions and they handle the biggest ships.

17 minutes ago, Olsonist said:

The Ports of LA/LB are multimodal. Yeah, they load containers onto trucks but they also load them onto trains. Shortage of chassis doesn't explain trains.

It isn't the stacking height limits of the Communist Enclave of Long Beach as Ryan Petersen, CEO of Flexport, suggested. The mayor of LB immediately issued a variance for that. That isn't even a burp in the traffic and those fire department stacking heights are pretty common. Also if you look at the port pictures, they don't apply to the port itself. That said, Petersen is really smart.

It isn't Dumb Chum's Biden's vax mandate cancelled Christmas either. The ports have been vaccinating longshoremen and seafarers since February. They were basically first in line even before granny.

It isn't the capacity of the #1 and #2 largest ports in the US. It ain't that because port volume is down from 2020.

It isn't lack of working hours although Biden ordered them open 24/7.  Truckers show up by appointment and those logistics are managed. And Dumb Chum's buddy who's a trucker knows squat. That's why he's a trucker.

Demurrage and dwell fines aren't solving the problem although shipping companies sure are happy to collect them. Shipping companies are making bank of this crisis.

There are no simple answers. What is Going on With Shipping? w/Sal Mercogliano and gCaptain are good sources of information.

Uh oh. Reality. 
gCaptain has been on top of this. 

1 minute ago, chum said:

Show me where I said it was his fault...bullshitter.

Yeah.  A thread is started that gives some credit to the President.  You pop by to pinch off a loaf.  But, your commentary has nothing to do with the President.

Go with that.  You are sure to convince everyone you aren't a shrill partisan hack.

1 minute ago, chum said:

The threads premise was bullshit, the port is not working 24/7, as I pointed out without any political commentary, bullshitter. Twist away.

Dumb, it wasn't working 24/7 last year when it handled more volume.

6 minutes ago, Olsonist said:
8 minutes ago, chum said:

The threads premise was bullshit, the port is not working 24/7, as I pointed out without any political commentary, bullshitter. Twist away.

Dumb, it wasn't working 24/7 last year when it handled more volume.

Down 8% from a peak last year, per your earlier link. And IIRC they are trying to handle a much larger truck volume within the overall volume.

There was about a half hour segment on this, on the Sunday news shows. Interviews with Mayor/Secretary Pete, who did his usual cheerful job of explaining techno-wonky details, and with the port manager, among others. The manager accompanied a reporter on a fly-over of the whole port facility, including the truck depot, with lane after lane of stacked containers. It was chock-a-block and one of the things he said is that they could double the size of the truck outflow lanes and still be pressed to handle the traffic. When asked if he'd like more space to put containers, he said "Oh (bleep) yes."

I'm not claiming to know the whole answer or I'd be expecting a call from Mr. Buttigieg.

- DSK

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Olsonist said:

Yawn. We thought when you said he was a trucker that he was a trucker. Now we find out he's a brain surgeon too.

He dabble in the Rocket sciencie stuff too?? 

20 minutes ago, chum said:

The only metric that count is if the kiddies get their Christmas presents. If America says they are happy, I'm happy, if the job gets done, who are you to criticize? 

• Downvote 1
1 minute ago, chum said:

I’m sorry you feel that way, I disagree. He obviously has some great business savvy, but I don’t think that makes him smarter than any political subset of people as a whole.

He started out as a trucker in the Marines, he’s come a long way.

You're hitting the trifecta, could be a quad-fecta if you jump on board with the "rich people are better" ethos.

Blame libs and especially Democrats and double-especially Joe Biden; disclaim facts to repeat Foxy news bullshit; now appeal to military glory... an ex-Marine has gotta be a one of the Good Guys, right?

- DSK

5 minutes ago, chum said:

Show me where I criticized anything other than the premise of your OP, that the port was 24/7.

12 hours ago, chum said:

What did I win?

4 minutes ago, chum said:

Show me where I criticized anything other than the premise of your OP, that the port was 24/7.

You won't find anywhere I claimed the port was working 24/7, you claimed it in the fifth post, you're arguing with yourself. Now if you want to take on the CEO of Walmart, be my guest.

9 minutes ago, chum said:

You criticized part of the OP, as if it is the entirety of the OP.

President Joe Biden's administration took action to combat these issues, such as expanding the Port of Los Angeles' hours to 24/7, securing commitments from top importers to expedite shipping container removal, and signing off on 100 day reviews of vulnerabilities in the supply chain. 

10 minutes ago, chum said:

Where did I blame anyone? Where did I say rich people were better, I was pointing out that Os derision of him as a trucker was misplaced. Pointing out that he started out as an enlisted trucker in the military is bad how?

13 hours ago, chum said:

Is the port of LA working 24/7? Last time I checked port workers were calling bullshit. As I understand it there was a trucker shortage because of the vax mandate.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/nov/17/container-ship-traffic-jam-port-los-angeles-ease

What did I win?

So my passing on the vax mandate observation was a criticism of Biden?

You guys shure contort yourselves into funny shapes in an effort not to be wrong about anything.

You said Where did I blame anyone You also said As I understand it there was a trucker shortage because of the vax mandate. I dunno who you are blaming here, it could be Biden, but you are definitely blaming someone for that communistical vax mandate.

What did I win? (BTW, you're not very good at this.)

23 minutes ago, chum said:

Where did I blame anyone? Where did I say rich people were better, I was pointing out that Os derision of him as a trucker was misplaced. Pointing out that he started out as an enlisted trucker in the military is bad how?

Awww, poor poor innocent you. Fuck off, snowflake. Maybe you can go over to the covid threads and spout some RWNJ disinformation to wend away the hours

- DSK

Two observations: If the ports don't have a 3rd shift ... it doesn't seem like it's 24/7.

More interesting is the report from maybe NPR last week that the trucker shortage was in the ind owner-op group who can't afford wasting large sections of the day waiting to load/unload whereas the teamster drivers are getting paid while in the truck. No point in moving your truck if you're not making money.

9 minutes ago, chum said:

Or you could just answer the question and quit the personal attacks. 

So much anger.

Mistakes are ok, as long as you learn from them.

Or you could drop the whole DEMOCRATS-BAD!! schtick and gain a couple of IQ points. Your whole contribution here has been spitballing.

Start learning from your mistakes and I'll believe you're serious

Actually, no I won't. As a curtesy, I'll tell you: your covid-denier ranting last week really dropped you down IMHO

2 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

Two observations: If the ports don't have a 3rd shift ... it doesn't seem like it's 24/7.

More interesting is the report from maybe NPR last week that the trucker shortage was in the ind owner-op group who can't afford wasting large sections of the day waiting to load/unload whereas the teamster drivers are getting paid while in the truck. No point in moving your truck if you're not making money.

False economy, they don't get paid if they don't deliver anything.

One of the things i looked for and didn't see, and maybe because there's no real demand for it: a fleet of shorties hauling containers out of the port depot to a freight yard where truckers can just drive in, hook up, and go (with appropriate paperworkage, of course). This lends credence to the idea that a shortage of chassis is part of the problem.

Are chassis infrastructure?

- DSK

14 hours ago, badlatitude said:

Walmart CEO Credits Biden with Supply Chain Improvement after Weeks of Conservative Hysteria

That didn't stop conservative pundits and lawmakers from seizing upon this vulnerability. Former presidential counsellor Kellyanne Conway falsely claimed there were no supply chain issues under Trump. Conservative talk show hosts like Fox News' Laura Ingraham painted Biden as a grinch who ruined Christmas—weeks before the Christmas season even began. 

While there are still obstacles in getting the global supply chain back to its former efficiency, the specter of late gifts and barren shelves presented by conservatives is at odds with recent comments made by Doug McMillon, the CEO of Walmart—the country's largest importer last year. 

In comments to MSNBC's Stephanie Ruhle, McMillon said: 

"The combination of private enterprise and government working together has been really successful. We've had a lot of participation, been able to participate in solving some of these congestion issues, so I would like to give the administration credit for helping do things like get the ports open 24 hours a day, to open up some of the trucking lines, ... and then all the way through the supply chain there's been a lot of innovation ... Each month of the quarter got stronger. The number of containers that we're moving through the ports has grown significantly." 

......SNIP"

https://secondnexus.com/doug-mcmillon-biden-supply-chain 

Well, I hope this is true. If this was Biden's doing, good on him. Sun shines on a dog's ass sometimes...

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, chum said:

RIF. I said clearly Covid was real and killing people. I can back it up. Can you show me where I denied Covid was real? Your circling the bowl of the bullshitter category now too, be careful!

Join the club, Jeffie and Joker and most of the RWNJs all jump up and down yelling how full of shit I am. Jeffie in particular is fond of saying I have modified his quotes to make him look stupid, which is something I have never done.

Meanwhile, perhaps you should clarfiy what you were saying about covid. Seemed to me like parroting the same harmful disinformation that's been going around from you Trumpalos for the last year+

- DSK

19 minutes ago, chum said:

LOL Mærsk is “just one company” at the port, of course. That’s like saying Wallmart is just one retailer lol.

Allright then, post up another that’s working 24/7. 

Bullshitter.

Yes, Maersk is the largest at the port, but you were speaking for the entire port. After you get schedules for all the shipping companies at the port, we'll discuss it further.

Maybe not, but you should care what everybody else, myself included, thinks. To us you just look like a bullshitter when you bullshit.

"Us"?

You got a mouse in your pocket? I almost hope you're stupid enough to believe your fellow PA Trumpalos are friends, much less reliable allies.

- DSK

1 minute ago, chum said:

The onus is on you, the op author , to back it up. I already posted where the largest shipper and port tenant was not 24/7, plus other solid evidence.
Give it up, you’re looking silly to the rest of us. 

Oh fuck off, posting the schedule of one terminal is not representative of the entire port, stop being a jackass.

Truckers Steer Clear of 24-Hour Operations at Southern California Ports

Nov. 17, 2021 1:31 pm ET

LINKY

The Biden administration pressed ports in Southern California to open 24 hours a day to help ease supply-chain bottlenecks. The move has barely made a ripple.

One terminal at the Port of Long Beach flung open its gates around the clock for truckers in mid-September, from Monday to Thursday. But no trucks showed up, prompting the terminal to tighten the rules. In late September, it said it would open during overnight hours only if 25 trucks made appointments. Since then, those criteria were met only one night, and only five big rigs showed up.

Giles Broom, a spokesman for the terminal operated by Total Terminals International LLC, said it cost on average almost $10,000 to remain open during overnight hours. Trucking companies that make appointments but don’t show up face no penalties.

The slow adoption of 24-hour services at the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach, the nation’s busiest port complex, highlights the challenge facing the Biden administration as supply-chain problems persist despite months of government and industry measures to ease congestion. This week, the complex set a record of 86 container ships waiting offshore for a berth, according to the Marine Exchange of Southern California.

Mr. Biden said last month that the neighboring ports would move toward 24-hour operations in an effort to double the hours that cargo moves off terminals.

Today, TTI is the only one of the port complex’s 13 terminals offering 24-hour operations. The ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach are public agencies that act as landlords to private terminal operators.

Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg said Tuesday during a press conference at the Port of Los Angeles that moving to 24/7 operations isn’t like “flipping a switch.”

The inertia has prompted finger-pointing by various participants in supply chains built to move goods from the ports to inland distribution centers and then on to retailers and manufacturers across the U.S.

One trucking company that would like to use the 24-hour pickups said TTI’s appointment restrictions are so onerous it struggled to qualify for an appointment. To pick up loaded boxes, TTI requires firms to drop off certain types of empty containers as well as certain types of truck trailers, known as chassis, so the terminal can maintain a balance of equipment.

“I can have 100 or 200 containers” to return, said Paul Brashier, vice president of drayage and intermodal at Reno, Nev.-based ITS Logistics. “But if they aren’t the specific steamship line box on the specific chassis they need at the specific minimum, you’re out of luck.“

10 minutes ago, Danceswithoctopus said:

Truckers Steer Clear of 24-Hour Operations at Southern California Ports

Nov. 17, 2021 1:31 pm ET

LINKY

The Biden administration pressed ports in Southern California to open 24 hours a day to help ease supply-chain bottlenecks. The move has barely made a ripple.

One terminal at the Port of Long Beach flung open its gates around the clock for truckers in mid-September, from Monday to Thursday. But no trucks showed up, prompting the terminal to tighten the rules. In late September, it said it would open during overnight hours only if 25 trucks made appointments. Since then, those criteria were met only one night, and only five big rigs showed up.

Giles Broom, a spokesman for the terminal operated by Total Terminals International LLC, said it cost on average almost $10,000 to remain open during overnight hours. Trucking companies that make appointments but don’t show up face no penalties.

The slow adoption of 24-hour services at the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach, the nation’s busiest port complex, highlights the challenge facing the Biden administration as supply-chain problems persist despite months of government and industry measures to ease congestion. This week, the complex set a record of 86 container ships waiting offshore for a berth, according to the Marine Exchange of Southern California.

Mr. Biden said last month that the neighboring ports would move toward 24-hour operations in an effort to double the hours that cargo moves off terminals.

Today, TTI is the only one of the port complex’s 13 terminals offering 24-hour operations. The ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach are public agencies that act as landlords to private terminal operators.

Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg said Tuesday during a press conference at the Port of Los Angeles that moving to 24/7 operations isn’t like “flipping a switch.”

The inertia has prompted finger-pointing by various participants in supply chains built to move goods from the ports to inland distribution centers and then on to retailers and manufacturers across the U.S.

One trucking company that would like to use the 24-hour pickups said TTI’s appointment restrictions are so onerous it struggled to qualify for an appointment. To pick up loaded boxes, TTI requires firms to drop off certain types of empty containers as well as certain types of truck trailers, known as chassis, so the terminal can maintain a balance of equipment.

“I can have 100 or 200 containers” to return, said Paul Brashier, vice president of drayage and intermodal at Reno, Nev.-based ITS Logistics. “But if they aren’t the specific steamship line box on the specific chassis they need at the specific minimum, you’re out of luck.“

It is a very tough problem that I posit is being handled responsibly. As i pointed out in an earlier thread, we currently have a 25% reduction in the number of import containers, and a reduction in sitting containers down by 29%. That's very good news with a month to go before Christmas. It is impossible to think this problem will be completely resolved before the holidays, but I believe that most people will be satisfied. If Walmart is happy, it's fair to consider the customer will be happy.

Just now, badlatitude said:
1 minute ago, chum said:

Only 1 of the 13 tenants are open 24/7, thats hardly the Port of LA being in 24/7 operation . RIF. Give it up.

CITE?

So now chumster wants the government to step in and force businesses to be open? That sounds a lot like...socialism.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, justsomeguy! said:
16 hours ago, Ncik said:

Sshhhh, don't tell the rightieshaters.

Too late.

Get a room. 

Hey Dumb, I got a question and you seem to be the resident expert on these things. Or maybe you can ask your trucker buddy.

Is the Union Pacific near dock rail yard at the Intermodal Container Transfer Facility open 24/7? If you know more about the two BNSF yards, that's ok too. BTW, how much container traffic goes through LA/LB via rail?