Joe Biden Saves Christmas, and Santa's job

10 minutes ago, chum said:

I was mistaken to call it the Port of LA. I was referring to the Terminal of LA, thanks for the correction. I think we all knew what we were talking about. The Terminal of LA has 40% of the West Coasts market share, without it, it's difficult to conclude that "The Port" is open 24/7.

Why did it take all the rest of you geniuses 180 post to figure that one out?

I know about a Port of Los Angeles. I've been there. If you want to know more about it, this is a handy link:

https://www.portoflosangeles.org/

But I've never heard of a Terminal of Los Angeles. Can you point me to where I can learn more about this 'Terminal' ? Is it at LAX? You can use the Google if you want.

8 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

In some regards, yes. Truckers coming into the port area for loading.

The real problem is that the port is undersized and underequipped for the traffic load. They need more land in a very expensive place, and better/bigger/faster cranes. And of course, training. They've needed it for years.

This is what happens when people with a slum lord attitude control investment in infrastructure.

- DSK

If the truckers are not employed by the port, you can't blame the port....

Yeah, that's a terminal, one of seven at the Port of LA. And then there's Port of LB. And then there's all the rail yards, on dock and near dock. Now are you saying something about the APM terminal or the Port of Los Angeles?

BTW, when you get around to it, are container ships coming and going, unloading and loading from the Ports of LA and LB 24 hours a day and 7 days a week?

2 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:
2 hours ago, chum said:

Only 1 of the 13 tenants is open 24/7, thats hardly the Port of LA being in 24/7 operation . RIF. Give it up.

Fuck you're dense.

The port doesn't contoll the working hours of its tenants.

The port has indeed been open, allowing access to anyone who wants to use it.

Not only that, if ONE tenant is open, then clearly it's not closed.

Seems a pretty simple exercise in logic and sentence construction. What was the highest grade Chum flunked out of?

- DSK

2 minutes ago, chum said:

We've already established that Port of LA was a misnomer, I was talking about the largest tenant. Though it does appear the problems are more widespread. Try to keep up, or I won't be able to answer any more of your questions.

So the port is open 24/7 and the tenants have the ability to increase their working hours?

5 hours ago, chum said:

So my passing on the vax mandate observation was a criticism of Biden?

You guys shure contort yourselves into funny shapes in an effort not to be wrong about anything.

It was bullshit.  Vax mandates have nothing to do with supply chain issues.  You know that but you’re a troll and can’t help yourself.

SAD!

So Dumb thinks that Biden shouldn't solve problems but should be held responsible for problems. It's kind of the Clint Eastwood school of acting, Don't just do something, stand there, meets The Buck Stops Here. Sounds pretty Dumb if you ask me.

I'm really skeptical that these fines would work at all. The shippers won't pay the fines. They'll just pass them along. It essentially just becomes inflation of a sort.

In fact, the shippers are assessing their own fines. Demurrage: you've got the shipper's container full of your stuff still sitting on their dock. You have no ability to move the container and you're still responsible for demurrage. Detention: you still have the shipper's empty container. They may not even accept the empty because it has to be returned during a shipper determined time slot. But they'll still charge detention for them.

It's an insane situation (think Cool Hand Luke and Boss Kean's ditch) but the shipping companies are making bank off it.