Podcast Anarchy

It is northern hemisphere winter, and winter is miserable. Today it is sunny and 35F though I am going to the boatyard shortly to do a few last things before the shrink wrap goes on, with the weather forecasting freezing rain and snow later this week.

And then: months of hell. Time for books, and riding my elliptical listening to podcasts.

What are good sailing podcasts and episodes?

I recently enjoyed Shirley Roberstons Dee Caffari interview and also Skip Novak. Not much new from Skip, but always interesting. The Dee interview though was spellbinding in parts.

The only sailing podcasts that I've stuck with are the ones from 59 degree north (On the Wind Sailing, Sailing Stories, and The Quarterdeck) and also the Mariner Podcast. I've tried a few others, but haven't kept up with them for various reasons. 

On the Wind is mostly interviews with other sailors but occasionally they will talk to someone who is just interesting to the host. 

Sailing stories is season long readings of a sailing related book. I think they have done three at this point. 

The Quarterdeck is mostly how the host thinks about his sailing, career in sailing, etc. Before this was split out as it's own podcast, this was mixed in with the interviews on the On the Wind podcast. 

The Mariner is a mixed bag of discussions of skills, updates on his various projects and events, and personal stories from sailing and racing around the world. He also has an interesting Youtube series.

2 hours ago, loneshark64 said:

It is northern hemisphere winter, and winter is miserable. Today it is sunny and 35F though I am going to the boatyard shortly to do a few last things before the shrink wrap goes on, with the weather forecasting freezing rain and snow later this week.

It's not winter here yet. It's sunny outside, so what if it's a tad windy. Don't be so weak

2 hours ago, Slick470 said:

The only sailing podcasts that I've stuck with are the ones from 59 degree north (On the Wind Sailing, Sailing Stories, and The Quarterdeck) and also the Mariner Podcast. I've tried a few others, but haven't kept up with them for various reasons. 

On the Wind is mostly interviews with other sailors but occasionally they will talk to someone who is just interesting to the host. 

Sailing stories is season long readings of a sailing related book. I think they have done three at this point. 

The Quarterdeck is mostly how the host thinks about his sailing, career in sailing, etc. Before this was split out as it's own podcast, this was mixed in with the interviews on the On the Wind podcast. 

The Mariner is a mixed bag of discussions of skills, updates on his various projects and events, and personal stories from sailing and racing around the world. He also has an interesting Youtube series.

I did not know Chris Stanmore major had a podcast, that is good news. I follow his YouTube. 

I’ve listened to On the Wind off and on. Andy Schell has a good interview style and the production quality is very good. When he has his co captains do the interviews in his stead the quality drops off sharply. Interviewing people is an art form. Andy drives me a little nuts when he focuses on himself vs the guest; he can be a bit arrogant. The one he did with Sam Holmes was real good.

45 minutes ago, loneshark64 said:

I did not know Chris Stanmore major had a podcast, that is good news. I follow his YouTube. 

I’ve listened to On the Wind off and on. Andy Schell has a good interview style and the production quality is very good. When he has his co captains do the interviews in his stead the quality drops off sharply. Interviewing people is an art form. Andy drives me a little nuts when he focuses on himself vs the guest; he can be a bit arrogant. The one he did with Sam Holmes was real good.

I'm about 90 episodes behind on most of the longer running podcasts that I listen to, so I haven't gotten to the co-captains doing them yet. Otherwise, I agree about Andy and his style. I tend to listen to the various podcasts in my feed in 5 episode blocks which lets me mix up styles and topics pretty easily and it sometimes takes a bit for me to get back to a podcast after I finish a block. 

CSM's podcast style is a bit like his youtube videos, a bit of a yard sale at times, but I enjoy them. 

• Like 1