1974 One Ton Cup

52 minutes ago, Whinging Pom said:

A time when enormous genoas were all mitre cut and the only colour for your oliskins was yuck yellow or 'orible orange.

Apologies if already posted.

I’ve got a picture of a spinnaker takedown ,SORC 1980 or so 

no crew uniforms…we were all wearing street clothing 

Dammit, we were all so young and healthy.  And had hair, quite a lot of it.  And fit into 30" waist trousers.  And wore those revolting smelly leaky orange HH oilskins.  But we had proper food to eat offshore, and plenty of pints afterwards, and had a load of fun!

• Like 6
On 11/23/2021 at 3:53 PM, Whinging Pom said:

A time when enormous genoas were all mitre cut and the only colour for your oliskins was yuck yellow or 'orible orange.

Apologies if already posted.

Already posted in the IOR landfills thread. Where the people with an unhealthy IOR obsession hang out.

Lovely bit of history, and good to see the phlegmatic Syd Fischer win, in an S&S no less.
Syd still going "strong" I believe, now in his nineties.

Good old Olin not so much, but it was a real honour to talk to the great man when he was 97 or so, in a pub (Fiddlers/San Diego).

I had the chance to sail on deck with Olin on Marilee back in ‘01 in New York Harbor. He was an unassuming gentleman and a nice guy. Didn’t know who he was until someone in the crew mentioned it to me a little later. Some of those on board were too “rich” to interact with the shipwrights that built the boat and spars for the shakedown cruise. Not Olin!

4 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

Malcolm McKeag, another voice of the time

Author of the second best [0] "Yachts and Yachting" headline ever. After the various 1982 rating upsets and official inquiry "Dubois gets Absolution, Everitt gets Victory".

[0] The best being their 197* something report on the "Sidney Hobart Race" ; resulting in many mocking letters to the editor, along the lines of "dear Sidney Hobart, I knew him well". 

4 hours ago, 12 metre said:

I believe they are referring to the I-Punkt scandal where up to 250 litres of illegal water ballast was being used on the upwind legs: http://rbsailing.blogspot.com/2013/08/i-punkt-admirals-cup-1985-and-1987.html 

yep, flexible water containers filled with a reversible bilge pump, placed high side upwind then dumped in the bilge before coming ashore. Navigator blew the whistle

• Like 2

People who blatantly cheat like that in yacht racing should be banned for life, not just a period in the penalty box.

They are fundamentally dishonest and that never changes - it's not "learned" behaviour.

• Like 2

Would love to see the film of the Sydney-Hobart when Passage and Kialoa were dueling down the coast, everything flying and then ran into a huge shift that had them running off until they could get the kites down.  Great footage.  Maybe 1977?

Never mind.  found it.  Crappy quality, but the shift comes in at about 16:50 in this video.

1977 Sydney to Hobart - YouTube

Fun stuff.  First saw it when Chris Bouzaid showed the movie (remember movie projectors?) at the North Loft in Huntington Beach....

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, sledracr said:

Fun stuff.  First saw it when Chris Bouzaid showed the movie (remember movie projectors?) at the North Loft in Huntington Beach....

Fun movie indeed, but Chris Bouzaid at a North loft, are you sure?

6 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

yep, flexible water containers filled with a reversible bilge pump, placed high side upwind then dumped in the bilge before coming ashore. Navigator blew the whistle

That is a great story on the rbssailing site, quite a thriller.

Here is the 1986 One Ton Cup, that is 'Andelsbanken' at the beginning.

1 hour ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Fun movie indeed, but Chris Bouzaid at a North loft, are you sure?

Heh.  Fair point, more likely the Hood loft.  one of the two ran a monthly movie-and-speaker series on the loft floor during the summers.   But not enough braincells still connected from back then...

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 11/28/2021 at 1:21 PM, SloopJonB said:

People who blatantly cheat like that in yacht racing should be banned for life, not just a period in the penalty box.

They are fundamentally dishonest and that never changes - it's not "learned" behaviour.

I believe for all his disgust at the behaviour and  shenanigans going on and reporting it that Aussie nav whistle blower also copped a pretty lengthy ban as well, didn't seem right somehow

On 11/23/2021 at 3:22 PM, Wetabehindtheears said:

Flash backs to the 170% headsails and the giant winches required to haul them in.

And reach-to-reach jibes on the triangle leg...those were fun (really)!

Yep,  I miss the old triangles.

Shy to shy in 20+ and a Sydney slop was interesting on an old war horse,  and bloody exciting by the time they grew into Maxi boats.

Or worse yet on a 12m off Freo!