Automotive LED Bulbs - Now More for 2 then it was for 10 a year ago

Just wait.   The recently passed bill in DC has approved use of smart/adaptive LED headlights for the USA, pending DOT/NHTSA or whoever rule writing. Probably a year or two before they hit the market, assuming manufacturers can source the chips/controls.    

Bad enough now trying to replace headlamp bulbs when you have to reach into a space about a half inch too small for your hand to fit into.  Blindly.  New ones will probably require whole assembly to be replaced.  At the dealer.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, BayRacer said:

Just wait.   The recently passed bill in DC has approved use of smart/adaptive LED headlights for the USA, pending DOT/NHTSA or whoever rule writing. Probably a year or two before they hit the market, assuming manufacturers can source the chips/controls.    

Bad enough now trying to replace headlamp bulbs when you have to reach into a space about a half inch too small for your hand to fit into.  Blindly.  New ones will probably require whole assembly to be replaced.  At the dealer.

Big thing with the VW camper gang a few years back.  Required rigging up a new relay on the buss panel.  Huge improvement over the stock 80's lighting.

As a guy many think Hates Jeeps b/c of what I have learned

I just got rid of my Firetruck

2006 Jeep Commander

About a year ago I bought New Headlight assemblys for $115 for the pair

Sold that POS on Friday and bought a 1988 Dodge Ram Van B250

Swapped out the headlights right away

I'm replacing brake/tail lights with an aray of  LED lights to fill a 7" x11" opening

At least I can see/reach every part around engine / Trans

Already sounds better than the Jeep that would have CEL on  once a week

My Bitch is Price Jump with  80% reduction of lights per package 

14 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

Just heard of a Subaru model where much of the front end needs removal to access headlights.

Several Audi's have this problem, I believe at least one model no longer has bonnet hinges, you have to unbolt that as well.. there's just a flap for oil, water , washer topping up.

it's illegal to swap headlight bulbs for LED in the UK unless, you change the whole assembly for one that was built for LEDs, this includes I believe a headlight wiper.. expensive...

As for the rest you can change them, so I've changed the entire set for LEDs on the Landrover 110 , no more side light full of water...

11 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Do you change both sides or just the one that's burned out? ;-)

Both sides. I can change the high beams no problem, but the low beams, turn signals, city lights, and side markers all require the headlight assembly come out of the car. It isn't all that hard, but it is annoying that a 5 minute job ends being at least an hour or two :angry:

Hint for Volvo/BMW/Etc. - Do NOT buy American turn, brake, and other small bulbs. Sure they fit, but the OEM bulbs from Europe are made of different metal and you will have endless problems with the USA versions. For my Volvo at least the real bulbs are pretty cheap, you just have to order them in advance to have them on hand. For the longest time with my old BMW I could not understand why turn signal bulbs lasted a few months instead of years.

32 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

Just heard of a Subaru model where much of the front end needs removal to access headlights.

Wife's Forrester was a little bit of a challenge, turn signals are the worse of it. 

15 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Hint for Volvo/BMW/Etc. - Do NOT buy American turn, brake, and other small bulbs. Sure they fit, but the OEM bulbs from Europe are made of different metal and you will have endless problems with the USA versions. For my Volvo at least the real bulbs are pretty cheap, you just have to order them in advance to have them on hand. For the longest time with my old BMW I could not understand why turn signal bulbs lasted a few months instead of years.

Osram, or Phillips should do the trick.

Diversion Alert!

Couple days ago I was in the think tank and we all got to talking about cars and things, and I mentioned how cool another bud's Beemer, especially the upholstery and removeable top, was to the wrong guy. I've mentioned these two 7, maybe 8 figure high rollers a few times in the past. So anyhoo, the Col took much exception to my opine, and launched into a 20 min riff about how much nicer his wife's Audi was than the Beemer. He rattled off model #s, pricing, and all that stuff -- absolutely none of which am I familiar with.

Recall, I'm the lo-tech guy still thrilled with my like "new" 2012 Ford Escape with the non-turbo engine. No brag ... jes fact.

Anyway, I found it all kinda unpleasant and walked away smh and thinking it isn't just boys in big trucks with small dicks.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ventucky Red said:

Wife's Forrester was a little bit of a challenge, turn signals are the worse of it. 

Osram, or Phillips should do the trick.

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/9812/Tail-lamp-Bulb-Kit-P2-V70-XC70-for-Volvo-Flosser-121186

These are Flosser bulbs from Germany. Part of the deal is the bases are not brass, or not uncoated brass at least.

1 hour ago, kent_island_sailor said:

For the longest time with my old BMW I could not understand why turn signal bulbs lasted a few months instead of years.

I just can’t leave that hanging there without taking a swing…. BMW? Burnt out turn signal bulbs?  Must be the rarest bimmer on the planet!:ph34r:

• Like 3
1 hour ago, NaClH20 said:

I just can’t leave that hanging there without taking a swing…. BMW? Burnt out turn signal bulbs?  Must be the rarest bimmer on the planet!:ph34r:

How would you even know?

Jeep Commander All (4) years

Bulbs are Simple - Grab, Twist, replace, insert, twist done

Leadlight ASSembly a little more complicate

20210831_103356.jpg

3.jpg

21 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

21 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

I have to take the front bumper and grill off my Volvo to change the headlight bulbs.

Jebus. 

And to think I felt bad because I have to remove the battery on my 20 year old Mitsubishi Pajero Pinin 4x4 to replace the headlight bulb on that side.

"I cried because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet."

On 11/24/2021 at 8:23 AM, Blue Crab said:

Had to change the bulb in my former 2017 WRX.  Left side required loosening battery clamp and moving battery aside to get hands on the bulb to replace.  Not that hard, after watching a YouTube video or two.

45 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

Chevy hhr.  Remove front wheel remove inner fender liner in wheel well to access the back of the lights.

Anybody remember the V8 Chevy Monza?

Had to lift the engine off its mounts to access the number 6 spark plug behind the steering column.

Back then it was a national news scandal - now that sort of thing is routine.

As Eva Dent.

55 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

Chevy hhr.  Remove front wheel remove inner fender liner in wheel well to access the back of the lights.

Sound like a Ferrari or Maserati, requiring engine out, for basic maintenance services.....

5 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Sound like a Ferrari or Maserati, requiring engine out, for basic maintenance services.....

I had a Pontiac gran prix. Take off the front motor mount tilt the engine forward just to get a peak at the rear spark plugs on the 3.8L v6

don't even get me started on the 2.8L v6 and access in the fiero gt.

My guy told me years ago that changing the plugs on a 90's Camaro/Firebird small block was a 7 hour flat rate due to the impossible access.

Lots & lots of service jobs now require a lot more time removing stuff for access than the time spent actually repairing the broken bit.

Serviceability has not been a design factor for decades - everything assumes assembly line robots.

Kinda like boats that have the engine installed before the deck goes on.

I have mentioned my no complexity creds previously. 90% of the cars I looked at during my recent purchase had V6 engines crammed into small spaces. BTDT as we all have. 

The car I bought, blissfully non turbo, is a proven Ford 4 banger mounted sideways!!! in the smallish space. Battery close and accessible, plugs all lined up in the open, and --I shit you not-- the road is visible between the engine and firewall. This tickles my old butt. It's a tool, not a toy.

But you hotshot turbo dudes be kind as you pass me: I'm the graybeard just ahead of you on the two-lane going 59 in a 55 with the cruise control on. Likely a cold MERIICAN beer between me knees. 

Island life in NC.

And genuine world class beaches.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Ed Lada said:
5 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

I shit you not-- the road is visible between the engine and firewall.

On a modern car???  Inconceivable!  

I can remember sitting on the fender of a '65 Impala with my feet on the frame to change plugs.

It was too far to lean over the fender. :D

On 11/24/2021 at 8:23 AM, Blue Crab said:

My Outback requires removing the front wheel well liner to access the bulbs. 100k miles and have not replaced one yet, but I’ve probably just jinxed it. 

FWIW, my old ‘88 Ford Ranger pickup required removing the whole grill assembly and both turn signals to get change the DOT sealed beam headlights. It went through at least two every year, too.  

5 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

And wash our hands with Acetone, goddammit!

When I worked in a factory years ago, we would wash our hands with MEK.  On a boring night we would stick our heads over a can full of it and huff away.  Apparently that shit is dangerous.  Who knew!

That might explain a lot about my current state.

10 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

When I worked in a factory years ago, we would wash our hands with MEK.  On a boring night we would stick our heads over a can full of it and huff away.  Apparently that shit is dangerous.  Who knew!

MEK causes nerve & brain damage. It's nasty shit. How did you manage to huff it? I find that catching even a whiff of it practically closes my throat, like ammonia.

Acetone is quite benign despite being so volatile. Our bodies actually produce small quantities of it. I wouldn't want to bathe in it but I have no concerns about wiping resin off my hands with it.

Of course it's the principal ingredient of nail polish remover so that may explain something about women. :ph34r:

23 hours ago, slap said:

I had an old beetle that had the floor rusted out.   So I had a shop weld in some angle irons and I cut some wood planks to fit.

Fiat 850 sport, Cherry red...  Jammed a 2x4 under front seat and glassed it in.  Thing was a submarine one time, Hole let h20 in and kept tires on ground while I powered past floating 80's era autos.  Good times, and damn I looked good.....  LOL

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

MEK causes nerve & brain damage. It's nasty shit. How did you manage to huff it? I find that catching even a whiff of it practically closes my throat, like ammonia.

It never bothered my throat but maybe tha tsplitting headache that happened about 3 minutes after getting a good hit shoud have told me something!  Ah youth!

12 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Used to wash our hands with Acetone, to clean off fiberglass resin, but always stayed far away from that MEK shit!!

6 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

It never bothered my throat but maybe tha tsplitting headache that happened about 3 minutes after getting a good hit shoud have told me something!  Ah youth!

WTF dude? You are lucky you still know your name and can read. Sniffing glue is probably healthier. A number of what were the Old Hands from back then that I knew didn't last too long, that kind shit had them dead by 60.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Acetone is quite benign despite being so volatile.

It hurts like a mofo in your eyes though. I opened a new barrel of it and it had somehow built up pressure. I got a nice blast in the face and both eyes :o Everyone starting yelling at me DON'T BLINK HOLD YOUR EYES OPEN DON'T BLINK!!!!

Seems it evaporates very fast, blinking/rubbing/etc. just makes it last longer.