On Death and Dying

I just found out this morning that one of my lifelong best friends died yesterday.  I met Don 54 years ago when I went into 7th grade.  Like me, Don was a bit 'different' and as water seeks sea level, outsiders find each other.  Don and I both served in the Army, we had so many wild and crazy adventures over the years, good times and bad, we shared it all.  I have another close friend that I have known literally all of my life.  Dave and I 'met' when I was 1 year old and he was 6 months old and we had moved into the house next door to his.  Don, Dave and I were like the 3 Musketeers, one for all and all for one. 

Don went in the Army a year before I did.  He and I talked to the recruiter for some time before we enlisted.  He went to Korea, I went to Germany.

We shared many similarities but we lived different lives.  Other than his time in the Army, Don lived in the same house all of his life.  Don lived with a girlfriend for some years before they parted ways, but he never married and when his mother passed away, Don and one his brothers his brothers, also an Army vet shared their childhood home.  Don died in the house, kind of fitting.  I've had 3 wives and I went on to live all over the world and have made my home in Poland.  I have had countless jobs in my life, Don went into the Army Reserve after his 3 year enlistment was over, eventually went to licensed practical nurse school through the Reserves and retired from a career as a nurse in a state prison back home.  He had stories!  

Don had some interesting hobbies, he had a huge collection of firearms, probably more than 30 rifles and pistols of all kinds and he also had at least a couple hundred knives.  However he wasn't a violent man by any means, he just liked that sort of thing.  Whenever I was home to visit he would proudly show his latest firearm or knife acquisition.  When we were teens, we would go to some woods near the railroad tracks, and shoot beer cans with his old Ithaca single shot, lever action .22.  You could buy a plastic box of 100 .22 LR rounds for about $1.50  at the local K-Mart.  We would shoot them up one round at a time.

Back in the 1970s and '80s, before I moved out of town, we spent countless hours in his cellar, smoking, snorting, drinking and listening to music.  Don quit drinking many years ago.  His father was an alcoholic that died in his 50s of cirrhosis of the liver shortly after we finished our Army enlistments in 1976.

When I was in the US this past August, I stayed at my friend Dave's house and I visited with Don almost every day that I was there.  He wasn't in good health, I had a feeling that would be the last time I ever saw him.  Dave and I aren't in the best of health either, I had suggested we all put $100.00 in a 'death pool' and the survivor would get the cash.  I guess it's down to Dave and I now, I doubt either of us will make 70, but who knows. I might sound selfish, but I hope I go before Dave.  I've lost Don now and I don't want to lose Dave.  Dave was always the calm, steady, practical influence of the 3 of us and he can suck it up without me when the time comes.

I take comfort in the fact that Don is in peace now.  Death is part of life, I've endured my share of losses as we all do, especially when we get older.  But damn, it sucks to lose a close friend. 

My mother told me years ago that a person is lucky if they have one lifelong close friend.  I was fortunate enough to have two and we would, and have, done anything for each other, because that's what true friends do.  No questions asked, no hesitation.  

Don might be gone but I have 54 years of memories of our friendship that I will always remember. 

RIP brother. :(

• Like 19
31 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

I just found out this morning that one of my lifelong best friends died yesterday.  I met Don 54 years ago when I went into 7th grade. 

Sorry to hear it buddy.  I think you still have some tread left on your tires so make the best of it.  Erie's not that far so if there's anything I can help with, don't hesitate.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about your friend, Ed.

43 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

I might sound selfish, but I hope I go before Dave.  I've lost Don now and I don't want to lose Dave.  Dave was always the calm, steady, practical influence of the 3 of us and he can suck it up without me when the time comes.

Wanting to go sooner isn't always selfish. Every year you people have known me, on this day I would be with friends in Captiva having a blast. Not last year because of the pandemic, but every OTHER year.

Not this year. Our hostess, my best friend's oldest sis, has been diagnosed with Alzheimers. The horror of it is, she just retired a couple of years ago and is in excellent health, so stands a good chance of living with it for decades.

I'll see her later today, and it may well be the last time she remembers who I am.

• Like 2

As we close in on 70, our peers seem to leave, and it can be depressing.   Then I look at Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, still rocking in their late 70's and say "FUCK- there is a chance...." 

Feel for you.  

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Snore said:

As we close in on 70, our peers seem to leave, and it can be depressing.   Then I look at Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, still rocking in their late 70's and say "FUCK- there is a chance...." 

Feel for you.  

I have a slip neighbor who is 89 years young and he and his wife cruise their 38 foot sailboat.     It gives me hope that I have 20+ years of sailing left....

• Like 2

So sorry for your loss Ed.  I have had a number of long-time friends die recently and it is never easy. You expect your friends to be close and available to you forever and it is very difficult when they are gone.  I always try to remember the fun times with these people when things get me down.  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

My mother told me years ago that a person is lucky if they have one lifelong close friend.  I was fortunate enough to have two, and we would, and have, done anything for each other because that's what true friends do.  No questions asked, no hesitation.  

No more valid words were spoken.  There is always the joke - " a good friend will be in the jail cell with you saying, that was awesome, let's do it again.." But, there is a lot of truth to this, as you said, no questions, no hesitation.

Sorry for your loss - chin up, mate, and a toast to Don; he'll be keeping an eye on you in the years to come.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Seriatim Tom said:

Sorry to hear about your friend, Ed.

Wanting to go sooner isn't always selfish. Every year you people have known me, on this day I would be with friends in Captiva having a blast. Not last year because of the pandemic, but every OTHER year.

Not this year. Our hostess, my best friend's oldest sis, has been diagnosed with Alzheimers. The horror of it is, she just retired a couple of years ago and is in excellent health, so stands a good chance of living with it for decades.

I'll see her later today, and it may well be the last time she remembers who I am.

I'm sorry to hear that Tom.

My physical condition is rapidly deteriorating, but I would rather be an invalid than to have some kind of dementia or Alzheimer's.  That's just horrible. 

Thanks for the post, Ed. This week especially it is an important reminder to cherish my friends that I'm still fortunate enough to have, and my family.

I hope your physical stuff gets better, but I know some stuff is hard to reverse. 

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, On The Hard said:

Thanks for the post, Ed. This week especially it is an important reminder to cherish my friends that I'm still fortunate enough to have, and my family.

I hope your physical stuff gets better, but I know some stuff is hard to reverse. 

Thanks buddy.  Unfortunately I won't get any better but that's life.  

2 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Hang in there, Ed. A buddy of mine who turned himself into a human candle penned some haunting but true words just before striking the match and checking out:

“Time is a cruel taskmaster.”

It is indeed. Make the most of it. 

Sorry to hear about your friend, but that's one helluva a way to go. 

I have a very good friend here that's a doctor who has offered to supply me with the means when I decide it's time.  Thankfully it doesn't involve anything flammable. 

9 minutes ago, Gangbusters said:

Ed, it seems that many of us on this board are getting up there in years. SA better start attracting some new blood before we are all gone.

So true.  A lot of us geezers here.  

But remember, as old as we get, we'll all still be younger than @Blue CrabRumor has it that he did bow on Noah's Ark!

Sorry for your loss, Ed. I've lost two great friends this year to cancer, one was IB, the other I was holding his hand when he crossed. I won't lie that it hasn't affected me.

Then there is my mom, going strong at 92, taking daily walks, cleans her own large home. Does the NYT crossword in ink.

No one is promised tomorrow. Live today. 

• Like 8
2 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Does the NYT crossword in ink.

Probably the ultimate expression of self confidence. :D

The last time I saw one of those crosswords I couldn't even understand the clues.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Sorry to hear it buddy.  I think you still have some tread left on your tires so make the best of it.  Erie's not that far so if there's anything I can help with, don't hesitate.

Thanks bud.  I appreciate the support.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Upthread someone mentioned self-editing. When I signed papers here Ed would write a full fucking page or more without paragraph breaks. Unreadable for most.

Now? Check his signature. 

Good on ya E

Thanks BC!   

2 minutes ago, Se7en said:

Congratulations on having a great friend for 54 years. Tis a rare thing, to be cherished.

Thanks.  Tis indeed.

In my opinion success and wealth isn't only measured by money.

I am a very fortunate person to have had one friend for 54 years and another for 65 years.  I like to think that I'm not so bad if I have managed to maintain those friendships over all of these years, through all of "The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune".  I can't take the credit for it, all of the credit goes to my 2 'brothers' for putting up with me, being patient with me and teaching me to be a better person.  They taught me by example and also by giving me a good dressing down when needed.  Fortunately I often took the lessons to heart, and in a large part, I wouldn't be who I am today without them.

I wouldn't trade my 'bromance' with Don and Dave for all of the money in the world.  In my current condition, I can't do much of anything anymore but I have a savings account that has paid hefty dividends for years.  My account so full of so many memories, the good, the bad and even the ugly, that I can make large withdrawals from it until the end of my life and I would barely make a dent in the balance.  I am rich beyond my wildest dreams.

If keeping those bonds with my 2 friends was the only thing I've done right in my life (and I think I might have a couple of other laudable accomplishments) I can live with that.

• Like 3
13 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Then there is my mom, going strong at 92, taking daily walks, cleans her own large home. Does the NYT crossword in ink.

Hah! Ink! Hooray for feisty biddies!

The world just lost one. In 2005, my boss' wife had a lung removed, then we got news of the cancer possibly spreading. We figured she had a year, two at the most. She died Tuesday. Just went to dinner with an old co-worker the other night and he said she was getting along pretty well.

11 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Probably the ultimate expression of self confidence. :D

The last time I saw one of those crosswords I couldn't even understand the clues.

My #1 ex got the Sunday paper for the puzzle and book reviews ... and I'm proud to say I usually got the ones she couldn't !!!!!!!!! .................................................................... if the question was about sports.

10 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

if the question was about sports.

Men! 

A good friend of mine often said his big passions in life were the 3 'Fs'.  Fucking, fishing, and football.   And not necessarily in that order.

On 11/25/2021 at 6:57 AM, Ed Lada said:

Men! 

A good friend of mine often said his big passions in life were the 3 'Fs'.  Fucking, fishing, and football.   And not necessarily in that order.

The way I heard it is slightly different...

"If it floats, flies or fucks, it's always better to lease it, than to purchase it"....

EDIT...  I have posted this before, but many years ago, I met a friend of a friend who was an attorney in LA.  He had a detailed spreadsheet showing how taking care of various girlfriends was far less costly than marriage!! :lol:  He also had the best blow I had ever experienced before! :o

43 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

The way I heard it is slightly different...

Billy, Billy, that isn't slightly different, it's completely different!  Apples and mangoes different. :lol:

• Like 1
On 11/26/2021 at 7:17 AM, billy backstay said:

EDIT...  I have posted this before, but many years ago, I met a friend of a friend who was an attorney in LA.  He had a detailed spreadsheet showing how taking care of various girlfriends was far less costly than marriage!! :lol: 

Much like the old joke about the guy who's wife had her credit card stolen.

He didn't call the police or the bank because the thief was spending less than his wife.

• Like 1

Gosh, I've seen so much death and dying - much of it up very close - for so many years its been a constant companion........people I served with in the military and fire department, many many people I took care of as a paramedic, my parents, my wife's parents and finally my wife. I just skirted it personally any number of occasions at work.....and now diagnosed with a fatal incurable illness.........death and dying has been on my mind. Funny how each of those circumstances gives you a different view.....and yet it remains the biggest mystery of all.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Much like the old joke about the guy who's wife had her credit card stolen.

He didn't call the police or the bank because the thief was spending less than his wife.

Can you ring him up and have him swipe Missus BB's cards, please??:D

Just kidding, she is very frugal, except when visiting our daughters in Charleston, SC......

Sorry for your lost.

It's exceedingly rare to have lifelong friends in today's world, I like you, have them. In my case there are four of us that have been fast friends since grade school, we are in our 70's now. We lost one a little over a year ago to a viral infection, the others have beaten cancer. We went through marriages, divorces, kids, grandkids and great grandchildren together. We attended each others parent's funerals as they were all like extended family. We still manage to all get together at least once a year dispite the long distances. One of them is my main sailing partner and we have been crewing on each other's boats since about 1964.

• Like 2
On 11/24/2021 at 4:43 PM, Blue Crab said:

Upthread someone mentioned self-editing. When I signed papers here Ed would write a full fucking page or more without paragraph breaks. Unreadable for most.

Good on ya E

There's hope for everyone!

- DSK

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Steam Flyer said:
On 11/24/2021 at 4:43 PM, Blue Crab said:

Good on ya E

There's hope for everyone!

"God blesse us everey oune!"          - TT - 

• Like 2
On 11/24/2021 at 5:36 AM, Ed Lada said:

I just found out this morning that one of my lifelong best friends died yesterday.  I met Don 54 years ago when I went into 7th grade.  Like me, Don was a bit 'different' and as water seeks sea level, outsiders find each other.  Don and I both served in the Army, we had so many wild and crazy adventures over the years, good times and bad, we shared it all.  I have another close friend that I have known literally all of my life.  Dave and I 'met' when I was 1 year old and he was 6 months old and we had moved into the house next door to his.  Don, Dave and I were like the 3 Musketeers, one for all and all for one. 

Don went in the Army a year before I did.  He and I talked to the recruiter for some time before we enlisted.  He went to Korea, I went to Germany.

We shared many similarities but we lived different lives.  Other than his time in the Army, Don lived in the same house all of his life.  Don lived with a girlfriend for some years before they parted ways, but he never married and when his mother passed away, Don and one his brothers his brothers, also an Army vet shared their childhood home.  Don died in the house, kind of fitting.  I've had 3 wives and I went on to live all over the world and have made my home in Poland.  I have had countless jobs in my life, Don went into the Army Reserve after his 3 year enlistment was over, eventually went to licensed practical nurse school through the Reserves and retired from a career as a nurse in a state prison back home.  He had stories!  

Don had some interesting hobbies, he had a huge collection of firearms, probably more than 30 rifles and pistols of all kinds and he also had at least a couple hundred knives.  However he wasn't a violent man by any means, he just liked that sort of thing.  Whenever I was home to visit he would proudly show his latest firearm or knife acquisition.  When we were teens, we would go to some woods near the railroad tracks, and shoot beer cans with his old Ithaca single shot, lever action .22.  You could buy a plastic box of 100 .22 LR rounds for about $1.50  at the local K-Mart.  We would shoot them up one round at a time.

Back in the 1970s and '80s, before I moved out of town, we spent countless hours in his cellar, smoking, snorting, drinking and listening to music.  Don quit drinking many years ago.  His father was an alcoholic that died in his 50s of cirrhosis of the liver shortly after we finished our Army enlistments in 1976.

When I was in the US this past August, I stayed at my friend Dave's house and I visited with Don almost every day that I was there.  He wasn't in good health, I had a feeling that would be the last time I ever saw him.  Dave and I aren't in the best of health either, I had suggested we all put $100.00 in a 'death pool' and the survivor would get the cash.  I guess it's down to Dave and I now, I doubt either of us will make 70, but who knows. I might sound selfish, but I hope I go before Dave.  I've lost Don now and I don't want to lose Dave.  Dave was always the calm, steady, practical influence of the 3 of us and he can suck it up without me when the time comes.

I take comfort in the fact that Don is in peace now.  Death is part of life, I've endured my share of losses as we all do, especially when we get older.  But damn, it sucks to lose a close friend. 

My mother told me years ago that a person is lucky if they have one lifelong close friend.  I was fortunate enough to have two and we would, and have, done anything for each other, because that's what true friends do.  No questions asked, no hesitation.  

Don might be gone but I have 54 years of memories of our friendship that I will always remember. 

RIP brother. :(

I guess healthy life decisions will be a little late.  I am now a COPD  statistic waiting to happen.  Best of luck passing 70 full speed to 85 or so.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Dorado said:

Well, I ain't gonna pry, but if there's we could do to help, don't hesitate to ask. 

I spent am afternoon with Ed in September, great guy and is fully competent to choose his demise.  Fair trails buddy, you made me re-think my life  for the better.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Point Break said:

Gosh, I've seen so much death and dying - much of it up very close - for so many years its been a constant companion........people I served with in the military and fire department, many many people I took care of as a paramedic, my parents, my wife's parents and finally my wife. I just skirted it personally any number of occasions at work.....and now diagnosed with a fatal incurable illness.........death and dying has been on my mind. Funny how each of those circumstances gives you a different view.....and yet it remains the biggest mystery of all.

Better get started on that book then...life is partly about what you leave behind.  We are all thinking about you PB.

• Like 4
10 hours ago, Point Break said:

I just turned 66 and I doubt I will get to 70.

I have always been an experiential kind of person and structured my life of doing as many things as I could, many jobs, many girlfriends a and wives, world travel etc.  Comfort, stability, and security were never priorities in my life.  it's a big world, so many things to see and do.

Now I regard death as the ultimate experience.  I hope I am aware when the moment arrives.  I imagine those last few seconds will be like when you reach the top of the first hill on that monster roller coaster and the first car goes over the summit and you know, hear thumping, that you are about to go screaming down that steep hill.  

If it happens while I am naked and looking into the bore of a large caliber pistol in the grip of an angry, jealous husband that caught me in bed with his 28 year old wife, well that would just be icing on the cake!   :lol:

By the way PB, I'm on to you.  You keep putting off writing that book and one day you'll be gone, and no book!  We'll all be pissed of with you, and you won't care because your dead and will just flip us off from the afterlife somewhere!  Your SA epitaph will be; "You still owe that book PB."  I have to admire your genius, well played. :D 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Cal20sailor said:

I spent am afternoon with Ed in September, great guy and is fully competent to choose his demise.  Fair trails buddy, you made me re-think my life  for the better.

That was a great afternoon on the bay front.  The food was OK, but the Margaritas, the view and the conversation and company were wonderful.   I think of it often and that was very cool for you to drive all that way so we could meet up, thanks for that.  Even if I had to wake you up several times you sleepy bastard!  :lol:

My only regret is we won't get a chance to do it again.  Unless you come to Poland, you're welcome anytime.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Mid said:

youth , it's wasted on the young .

Maybe not.  

I developed some terrible habits in my youth and I've happily managed to keep them well into my adulthood.  Age and experience have allowed me to fully exploit them!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ed Lada said:

Maybe not.  

I developed some terrible habits in my youth and I've happily managed to keep them well into my adulthood.  Age and experience have allowed me to fully exploit them!

Please quit acting like you're the only guy that licked a pussy...well.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Please quit acting like you're the only guy that licked a pussy...well.

Sorry Cal. From the rather extensive feedback I've gotten, I might be!  :lol:

You guys better up your game.  

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Sorry Cal. From the rather extensive feedback I've gotten, I might be!  :lol:

You guys better up your game.  

I was hop[ng for a laugh and got one.  I'm glad we met and I'm in your corner buddy.  Anything you need...

• Like 1
Just now, Cal20sailor said:

I was hop[ng for a laugh and got one.  I'm glad we met and I'm in your corner buddy.  Anything you need...

Thanks bud.  You're one of the good ones.

9 hours ago, Rain Man said:

Better get started on that book then...life is partly about what you leave behind.  We are all thinking about you PB.

I didn't want to say it but...

At least keep a tape recorder around to dictate the stories.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

I just turned 66 and I doubt I will get to 70.

Never put a pull date on yourself.

Just plan for tomorrow.

And tomorrow

and tomorrow.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Rain Man said:

Kind of you. I'll do fine. It's just an odd journey. I kinda figured it was likely though given all my exposures. I might get that book started after all

• Like 5
3 hours ago, Point Break said:

Kind of you. I'll do fine. It's just an odd journey. I kinda figured it was likely though given all my exposures. I might get that book started after all

No "might" about it.

• Like 1

Well, shit. I have outlived all but one of my close friends, and he's got a lot of issues so that trend is likely to continue unless I do something really stupid.

Sorry to hear, PB. I'm looking forward to that book. You better write it.

For a long time - from my early teens - I was convinced I was going to check out when I was 34, I don't know why. Now that I more than doubled that estimate, I might just piss everyone off and try and triple it.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Surprised no one mentioned Sondheim. G.O.A.T?

Peters and Sondheim were made for each other: 

Tony Award 1973 

When I was a teenager, I volunteered at the local community theater, one of the oldest in the country. 

We were the first community theater in the country to stage Sondheim's Follies.  It wan incredible production.  The set designer, Phil Rodzen created a beautiful set that transformed the old decrepit theater about to be demolished, into the magnificent, opulent theater of the golden age of the  Zigfeld Follies.  The set change took less than a minute and it was the only time in my many years of tech theater that I saw a set change get applause.  Phil, went on to New York City and designed sets for some Broadway shows including the revival of Applause.  We rented the costumes from New York and some of them were originally used in the Broadway production of the show.  It was an incredible and amazing show.

I am a big fan of Sondheim and We also did Sondheim's Company at the community theater.   I saw the Broadway revival of West Side Story, one of my favorite musicals, in 2015 and I have a poster from the show autographed by the amazing young cast, and I met some of them after the show. 

Sondheim's lyrics were shear genius and it's amazing that he wrote the songs for West Side Story when he was only 27 years old.  he lived a long and creative life.

West Side Story.jpg

• Like 2

Got Covid now.  Wow, talk about life’s unpredictable jumps.

Slight cold symptons.   Was offloading a pool heater for an install when the email result came in.   Sitting by the Bay getting my head straight.

Monoclonal antibodies my first move.

2 minutes ago, blunderfull said:

2x.   Pfizer.   Last one 7 months ago.

Got an email from Univ of Minnesota.  Clinical trials with Ivermectin etc.   $400.  Sign me up.

I believe you are eligible for a 3rd booster shot, 8 months after 2nd shot.  Got our Moderna boosters in October.

38 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

I believe you are eligible for a 3rd booster shot, 8 months after 2nd shot.  Got our Moderna boosters in October.

Yea, my sis said a booster would be required now for us Pfizer guinea pigs.

Getting our Moderna boosters and flu vaccines next Monday. Getting my pneumonia vaccination a few weeks after that. I can still get all those conditions but….it’s less likely and probably a milder course if I do. When I was working, I got all my hep, tetanus, vaccinations as well. 

Most likely your course will be much easier because you are vaccinated. I’d still well clear of Invermecton just yet…..not enough good science there. Monoclonal antibodies….I suppose. It would depend on my course. What does your doc say about those? 

1 hour ago, Point Break said:

Getting our Moderna boosters and flu vaccines next Monday. Getting my pneumonia vaccination a few weeks after that. I can still get all those conditions but….it’s less likely and probably a milder course if I do. When I was working, I got all my hep, tetanus, vaccinations as well. 

Most likely your course will be much easier because you are vaccinated. I’d still well clear of Invermecton just yet…..not enough good science there. Monoclonal antibodies….I suppose. It would depend on my course. What does your doc say about those? 

Ivermectin ?   4 billion doses and counting.   Nobel prize.   Lots to gain nothing to lose here for this old Irishman!

My doc referred me to Xpress Urgent Care to get a “…Telehealth Consult” for the Monoclonal treats.   

1 hour ago, Blue Crab said:

Ya don't think you can just ride it out?

Maybe.   I want to see what current data they have fromlast 18 months.

Trump, Rogan, Aaron Rogers - the pillars of science have given their blessing!

We've been told that mixing Phizer & Moderna gives something like an 18% boost in efficacy over all one or the other.

We get our boosters next week and we're going to ask for Moderna to top up our 2 previous Phizers.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Point Break said:

I need to check on the pneumonia shots?  Never been suggested by my PCP, or other MD's??  I know I cannot get the flu shot, as it might cause a recurrence of the GBS that I had 20 years ago.....

1 hour ago, blunderfull said:

Ivermectin ?   4 billion doses and counting.   Nobel prize.   Lots to gain nothing to lose here for this old Irishman!

My doc referred me to Xpress Urgent Care to get a “…Telehealth Consult” for the Monoclonal treats.   

It has been is use in humans since about 1980ish. It is relatively safe at certain dosages for certain indications. It has not been approved at the dosages indicated for COVID nor has it been studied with COVID outside the current controlled studies. I’d really….really….be hesitant to use it till more data is available in the dose range and for that disease. Okay at one dose and for a certain disease does not mean it’s safe at any dosage or for any disease. I don’t know when in the infection/illness cycle it is utilized in the study….perhaps you can’t wait till your course goes south to use it but……I’d not rush to it’s use in a clinical trial. 

Good overview below…….

https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/why-you-should-not-use-ivermectin-treat-or-prevent-covid-19

Your mileage may vary.

24 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

I need to check on the pneumonia shots?  Never been suggested by my PCP, or other MD's??  I know I cannot get the flu shot, as it might cause a recurrence of the GBS that I had 20 years ago.....

This is the pneumonia vaccine my Doc recommends for my age. Ive always just done the influenza seasonally but the pneumonia vaccine lasts a lifetime so I will add it this year. 

https://www.merckvaccines.com/pneumovax23/

46 minutes ago, Point Break said:

This is the pneumonia vaccine my Doc recommends for my age. Ive always just done the influenza seasonally but the pneumonia vaccine lasts a lifetime so I will add it this year. 

https://www.merckvaccines.com/pneumovax23/

Thanks for the link PB!  I will PM my PCP on their "My Chart" webpage.  Most of my Docs affiliated with this hospital are accessible through this portal..

RE: Death and Dying,,,,  60 Minutes, or CBS Sunday Morning, had a special edition last night about aging, "Forever Young, Searching for the Fountain of Youth";  which I highly recommend everyone views.  I thought I missed taping the first half on the DVR because NFL on CBS pushed everything forward from their normal time spots, but I think I just found it!!  I always add extra time on my recordings, and I believe the remaining minutes of "The Equalizer" is the first part of this, that my other recording missed.  It's available streaming online, and by tomorrow may be available on CBS on demand.  Very worthwhile info for we over 65 crowd......

• Like 2
2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

We've been told that mixing Phizer & Moderna gives something like an 18% boost in efficacy over all one or the other.

We get our boosters next week and we're going to ask for Moderna to top up our 2 previous Phizers.

My 90-year old aunt was told she was eligible for booster in January, and we're way past that. I wonder why the difference.

2 hours ago, Point Break said:

It has been is use in humans since about 1980ish. It is relatively safe at certain dosages for certain indications. It has not been approved at the dosages indicated for COVID nor has it been studied with COVID outside the current controlled studies. I’d really….really….be hesitant to use it till more data is available in the dose range and for that disease. Okay at one dose and for a certain disease does not mean it’s safe at any dosage or for any disease. I don’t know when in the infection/illness cycle it is utilized in the study….perhaps you can’t wait till your course goes south to use it but……I’d not rush to it’s use in a clinical trial. 

Good overview below…….

https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/why-you-should-not-use-ivermectin-treat-or-prevent-covid-19

Your mileage may vary.

All good info.  

Univ of Minn did not get back to me today on their Ivermectin study.   Not jumping into that one casually.   More later.

Weird how fast this Omicron variant has become the top news.   It’s as if everyone who gets a cold will now need to test for Covid.

1 minute ago, blunderfull said:

All good info.  

Univ of Minn did not get back to me today on their Ivermectin study.   Not jumping into that one casually.   More later.

Weird how fast this Omnicron variant has become the top news.   It’s as if everyone who gets a cold will now need to test for Covid.

Good luck, I fervently hope you have a mild course. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, blunderfull said:

Got Covid now.  Wow, talk about life’s unpredictable jumps.

Slight cold symptons.   Was offloading a pool heater for an install when the email result came in.   Sitting by the Bay getting my head straight.

Monoclonal antibodies my first move.

Out of curiousity, what prompted you to get tested?  The cold symptoms?  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Good Heavens Man! Ford versus Chevy. Mac vs. PC. Coke vs. Pepsi. Don't be fuckin' around with the natural Order of Things.

I'm a Pfizer AND Dapper Dan man myself. Don't want no Fop. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Rain Man said:

Out of curiousity, what prompted you to get tested?  The cold symptoms?  

Yes and the fact there’s a drive-in testing site at Walgreens nearby.   

Reading along the way on Omicron variant made me think since some were remarking on the ‘mild symptons’ associated with same, I might as well check in with a Covid test.

I just dropped a 10mg cannabis- sativa cookie for the small chest pain on left side.  Pain’s more annoying than anything and I want to sleep now.

6 minutes ago, blunderfull said:

Yes and the fact there’s a drive-in testing site at Walgreens nearby.   

Reading along the way on Omicron variant made me think since some were remarking on the ‘mild symptons’ associated with same, I might as well check in with a Covid test.

I just dropped a 10mg cannabis- sativa cookie for the small chest pain on left side.  Pain’s more annoying than anything and I want to sleep now.

There is a clotting cascade known with COVID that can lead to pulmonary embolisms. If it persists you should consult doc about the symptoms. If the pain is worse on breathing in and/or accompanied by shortness of breath you really need a consult.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Point Break said:

There is a clotting cascade known with COVID that can lead to pulmonary embolisms. If it persists you should consult doc about the symptoms. If the pain is worse on breathing in and/or accompanied by shortness of breath you really need a consult.

That reminds me of my actions when I had my first heart attack when I was 38 years old (caused by viral myocarditis it turned out).  

I was awakened at about 6 a.m. by severe chest pain and nausea.  I was sweating profusely.  I got out of bed, went in the bathroom and vomited, took 2 extra strength ibuprofen and went back to sleep.   

I woke a couple of hours later and felt normal and went about my day.  About 11 p.m., I was sitting in a chair reading a book and the chest pain returned with a vengeance.  I decided I was having a serious medical problem.  I called 911 and was taken to the hospital.  

The funny thing was that had been recently discharged from the Army where I had completed certified EMT training and worked in medical clinics and hospital ERs.  I had been an American Heart Association level C (CPR training for health care providers) instructor for several years.  I had the classic symptoms of an MI in the morning, but because of the fact that I was young, fit and had no history of cardiac problems I didn't even consider that I might be having an MI.  Lets see, crushing chest pain, nausea and vomiting, diaphoresis, and denial.  Oh yeah, denial.  Doh!

My 2nd MI occurred when I was 50 years old, while I had already been in a hospital for a week being treated for a life threatening infection in my lower left leg.  The doctors had finally managed to get the infection under control.  When my doctor came into my room in the morning and asked how I felt, I didn't hesitate to mention to her that I was experiencing mild to moderate sub sternal chest pain.  The doctor quickly did an EKG, tore the print out from the machine, looked at it, and she said, "Oh, this isn't good."  Off I went to the ICU and a couple of hours later I was in an ambulance being transported to a nearby larger hospital that was part of a university medical school.  They had an entire building dedicated to cardiac care including a transplant program.  The cardiac clinic had it's own cardiac ER and adjacent cath lab.  Again, viral myocarditis was the culprit.  The doctor that did the cardiac cath procedure was really pissed off that he couldn't put in a stent or two.  He angrily told me that my arteries were "Clean, disgustingly clean!" as he ripped of his gloves and stomped out of the room. :blink: