“COVID Is over” thread deleted

6 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Cite or opinion? I ask not in argument but curiosity.

Try being civil for a while and I will be glad to respond in kind. 

As it is, you get zero co-op from me. 

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Much of the problem with RWNJ is the sustained effort to delegitimize the US Government as a source of reliable information. It has borne fruit with "Stop the Steal" fundraising and vaccine disinforma

Relying on an honour system with Trump is delusional.

BB got flicked looks like.

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

It was just reported on MSNBC that over 60 peeps returning to Norway, IIRC, from South Africa, have the new virus???

Its going to be a mess for at least a few days.

At the root is the question:  How do you know that you have Omicron and not Delta?

The way they can tell (without exhaustive testing)  is that one of the three markers (the 'S' marker) in the current PCR test comes back negative while the other two are still positive.  That's a feature of Omicron.

Up until a few days ago, a positive PCR was a positive and a negative was a negative.  There wasn't necessarily that much resolution for 'partial' success - if you had two positives and a negative, you were positive.  That means people are now frantically going back into earlier data sets to see if they can find that fingerprint.  Compression always loses data somewhere.

There are also symptomatic differences (fatigue and headache, instead of smell loss) and there seems to be a more susceptible cohort as well (men under 40), but those observations are based on literally a hand full of cases so more to come.

This guy does a nice job of breaking down the particulars (and posts frequent updates) with references to the particular papers if you want the more pointy-headed explanation.

4 hours ago, quod umbra said:

Not sure anyone should limit access to additional information. That said, best to review a few sources and figure out what is spin and what is factual.

While I do as you do JB, go to source info..... I also lean heavily on BBC. Now to be fair, the BBC has a leftist slant that reflects the UK as a whole politically, but  one can filter a bit of that out and match it up to statistical sources for better perspective.
At the same time, in the not so near past, I would tune into OAN. For a time there was little bias, just factual presentation and some good in depth stuff. That has changed and as such so has my viewing habits. Anyone here who tells you it is only the Right that skews the news is wearing leftist blinders.....and anyone who tells you the left lies is wearing rightie blinders. The scary part is both sides firmly believe they are correct.

Back to the CDC for a moment. One thing I noticed after the recent presidential election. The way CDC presented information changed a good bit. More technical information was replaced by more preachie information. That is one strong reason I seek other sources. One would like to think government statistical sources would present the facts and only the facts. Fact is they reflect the party in power, which is beyond sad.

Can you please give me an example of a CDC "preachie" information?

1 hour ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Kinda depends on the issue, for me, and practical application. I favor fiscal responsibility. We should pay our bills as we go, not borrow and redistribute. That has been seen as a conservative position, but in application, Republicans never follow it when they are in power. In practice, democRATS are far more fiscally responsible. So when I advocate for fiscal responsibility I come off as more aligned with democrats because republicans offer nothing but authoritatively bloviated bullshit on the topic. 

Other issues are different. I don’t think that I am inherently better or worse than anyone else by virtue of being born white and male. I realize that it gives me certain advantages in many contexts, for which I neither apologize nor feel guilty. That said, I would like to leave behind a more perfect union when I check out, and I advocate for that. Categorize that!

Categorizing by left and right only serves to divide the masses and obscures the real divide in this country, between the few with nearly everything and the masses scrambling for crumbs. Unite the masses and build the more perfect union that the elites and their bullshitters are working so hard to prevent. 

Well said.  I am the same and my "positions" fall all over the map between left and right.  For this specific reasons, it drives the left elk crazy because they ALWAYS incorrectly paint me as far right.  And the far right elk here think I'm a traitor to the cause.  I have leanings across the spectrum including some libertarian bents as well.  It particularly drives @Steam Flyer (aka Steam Liar) batshit crazy and he just makes up a position for you to fit his narrative.  Others do it as well, but he's the king rat when it comes to that particular gift.  

I have repeatedly said here, if you're not sure of my position on a particular topic, policy, or whatever - just ask me.  I'll tell you straight up what I believe.  Unlike most of the snivelling anonymous folks here who are not much better than warm jello when it comes to pinning them down on what they actually believe.  

29 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

Maybe. I'm still struggling with your metamorphosis from dumbshit to immunologist and college football analyst. I'll get there, it's just new.  

Gaytor was always a CFB "analyst".   Or at least thought he was, because he was almost always wrong.  Given that history of getting most things wrong that he pontificated on, i.e. CFB, world class beaches, his popularity at the Playboy mansion, politics, the cool factor of Vespas, and such - I'm inclined to go with the opposite of anything he says.  The odds are definitely in my favor.  

3 minutes ago, quod umbra said:

Well to do that I would have to have access to information on the CDC website that was removed/replace post election.
What I noticed and thus commented on was the removal of graphs being replaced by more public service message content. More narratives rather than pure statistical information.

Can you give me a current example of a narrative you find "preachie"?  I just want to know what we're talking about here.  TIA.

2 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

How do you get "Omni" out of Omicron?

Speed thinking.

I had Omicron, twice. I had a 50mm and a 75mm. They were decent lenses, but not on the same level as Schneider, Rodenstock, or Nikkor.

pi_16850.jpeg.fb2bd1db0f9db0b9e3d88e6227c6f839.jpeg

3 hours ago, Nice! said:
3 hours ago, quod umbra said:

The problem with leftists is they always think they are centrists.
Not sure if that is an attempt to "normalize" progressive policy or just plain delusion.

:lol:

"Normalize progressive policy"

And you really don't grasp the absurdity of that statement?

And you truly regard yourself as a moderate or centrist?

:lol:

3 hours ago, Burning Man said:

I have leanings across the spectrum including some libertarian bents as well.  It particularly drives @Steam Flyer (aka Steam Liar) batshit crazy and he just makes up a position for you to fit his narrative.  Others do it as well, but he's the king rat when it comes to that particular gift.  

Yep. One narrative fits all. And several different posters have singled out "DSK" for that recently.

7 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Two confirmed cases in Ottawa 

Let's move Ontario to Southern Africa, just to be safe.....

2 hours ago, Nice! said:
2 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

EAD3E993-C71D-4CFC-8D12-58586C2BC839.jpeg

Expand  Expand  

Did they ban returning Americans this time, or no?

It's not just the US.  SWMBO is traveling to London this week for business and the UK, in it's panic over the O-variant, instituted new COVID rules where you have to have a PCR test on arrival and self-quarantine until you get the results in 48 hours.  What I don't get is what is a test on arrival going to do????  From the time you get on an aircraft in the US and land at Heathrow, walk through the airport, go through customs and immigration - you've probably had close contact with well over a hundred people.  

At least in the US, they require a negative covid test BEFORE you are allowed to board the plane to come back into the country.  SWMBO has to have a negative antigen test within 2 days of coming back to the US.  Not sure if that is just for dirty furiners or if US citizens have to test to get back or not.  

On 11/26/2021 at 11:00 AM, chum said:

I don’t have any “deniers” in my “pesonal orbit around”, whatever that means, thanks for your concern. 

Thanks to all who have made meaningful contributions, instead of just personal attacks. This kind of information is useful for the roughly 1/3 of eligible adults left to reach. The rest of the BS doesn’t help at all, and just turns more people off than It sways, espcially coming from people who really have no idea what they’re taking about, but tend to just follow the herd like frightened stupid cows.

The useful info @phillysailorgave you has been around since the various vaxxes were approved by vaccination approval bodies all over the world. Scientific literature has been written and peer-reviewed, news articles published, health authorities giving this exact same info. Ongoing scientific studies have proven time and again that the approved vaxxes are the biggest part of resolving this pandemic. What took you so long to listen? Tell us again how frightened and stupid we were to listen to the experts like PS et al from the beginning?

On 11/26/2021 at 11:41 PM, Steam Flyer said:

It seems to be driven by their political views and it seems like they have not seriously examined the scientific data available

It doesn't necessarily need to be political. I believe there's a lot of wealthy Drs that are heavily invested in share markets and personal businesses. A pandemic can derail those things. Denial is one of the stages of grief, after shock, both of which can obviously affect logical thought adversely. There was an article written for a GP mag, by a GP, who was trying to link pedestrian car deaths to covid death numbers in the very early days, clearly that was debunked. I think most of the early denial Drs have probably woken up and moved onto acceptance.

1 hour ago, Ncik said:

The useful info @phillysailorgave you has been around since the various vaxxes were approved by vaccination approval bodies all over the world. Scientific literature has been written and peer-reviewed, news articles published, health authorities giving this exact same info. Ongoing scientific studies have proven time and again that the approved vaxxes are the biggest part of resolving this pandemic. What took you so long to listen? Tell us again how frightened and stupid we were to listen to the experts like PS et al from the beginning?

Might have something to do with how the President of the United States was helping disseminate disinformation, pushing Hydroxychloroquine, bleach, UV in the body. Supported by FOXy News, Alex Jones and the rest of their ilk, a pretty big and important megaphone has been indoctrinating sheep to take ivermectin rather than vaccines designed to protect humans. 

Taking your frustration out on listeners and viewers is inefficient. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Kinda depends on the issue, for me, and practical application. I favor fiscal responsibility. We should pay our bills as we go, not borrow and redistribute. That has been seen as a conservative position, but in application, Republicans never follow it when they are in power. In practice, democRATS are far more fiscally responsible. So when I advocate for fiscal responsibility I come off as more aligned with democrats because republicans offer nothing but authoritatively bloviated bullshit on the topic. 

Other issues are different. I don’t think that I am inherently better or worse than anyone else by virtue of being born white and male. I realize that it gives me certain advantages in many contexts, for which I neither apologize nor feel guilty. That said, I would like to leave behind a more perfect union when I check out, and I advocate for that. Categorize that!

Categorizing by left and right only serves to divide the masses and obscures the real divide in this country, between the few with nearly everything and the masses scrambling for crumbs. Unite the masses and build the more perfect union that the elites and their bullshitters are working so hard to prevent. 

Careful what you wish for. There are 27 states including yours which have already requested a balanced budget amendment. Those requests don't time out. That hits 34 and that would require an Article V constitutional convention. Philadelphia had no rules but what it adopted. Mar A Lago would similarly have no rules.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balanced_Budget_Amendment_Task_Force

2 hours ago, Ncik said:

Your self-awareness didn't extend to questioning non-experts spruiking nonsense?

Is that a rude word in a foreign language or merely a typo?

3 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

So it's what carnival barkers do?

Ron Popeil was the ultimate spruiker?

Any "marketing personality" is definitely a spruiker. The shittier or dodgier the product they're selling the more of a spruiker they are. TFG is a spruiker.

27 minutes ago, Seriatim Tom said:

Heh.

What happens when an actual libertarian comments on OAN.

I've enjoyed both the NY Times and MSNBC lawsuits only because it's funny to see the Times and MSNBC argue that they aren't really claiming facts and that they're just giving opinion, therefore they're not libel.  Its been an effective defense against the suits but it is ironic.  "We report facts, except when we're sued, then THAT part is really only opinion."  Topknot isn't the only signature pretzel maker :)

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Olsonist said:

Careful what you wish for. There are 27 states including yours which have already requested a balanced budget amendment. Those requests don't time out. That hits 34 and that would require an Article V constitutional convention. Philadelphia had no rules but what it adopted. Mar A Lago would similarly have no rules.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balanced_Budget_Amendment_Task_Force

It works pretty well for us, which is to say that without the requirement for balanced budgets we would have already borrowed untold gobs of money in all of our names and given it to the people who were already the richest in the state. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

It works pretty well for us, which is to say that without the requirement for balanced budgets we would have already borrowed untold gobs of money in all of our names and given it to the people who were already the richest in the state. 

CA has a balanced budget requirement as well. We're on track for a $31B surplus. That wasn't what I'm talking about. I was talking about the can of worms a constitutional convention would open.

12 hours ago, Nice! said:

The early-denial former preznit needs a dose of acceptance.

I've been thinking a wooden stake thru the heart.

On prime time Fox News. Murdoch swings the hammer while Suzanne Scott holds the stake.

Murdoch then turns to the camera and apologizes to the American people noting that it only took one tv station 25 years to bring the country to the brink of financial ruin and civil war. 

He then opens his jacket to reveal the explosive package linked to others placed throughout the building ... presses the button ...

and scene.  

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Olsonist said:

CA has a balanced budget requirement as well. We're on track for a $31B surplus. That wasn't what I'm talking about. I was talking about the can of worms a constitutional convention would open.

I agree with that. One party is committed to dispensing with the Constitution, to the point that they attacked our nation’s Capitol to subvert it. 

4 hours ago, BeSafe said:

I've enjoyed both the NY Times and MSNBC lawsuits only because it's funny to see the Times and MSNBC argue that they aren't really claiming facts and that they're just giving opinion, therefore they're not libel.  Its been an effective defense against the suits but it is ironic.  "We report facts, except when we're sued, then THAT part is really only opinion."  Topknot isn't the only signature pretzel maker :)

Cite?

5 hours ago, BeSafe said:

I can't remember the Times lawsuit but OAN lost the MSNBC lawsuit, lost at Appeals Court, lost attorneys fees for filing a frivolous claim and lost with prejudice. They lost bad.

https://lawandcrime.com/first-amendment/judge-orders-oan-to-pay-rachel-maddow-and-msnbc-250000-in-attorney-fees-for-filing-frivolous-defamation-lawsuit/

https://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/opinions/2021/08/17/20-55579.pdf

The motion to strike, which OAN lost, has a standard of review for a SLAPP suit. First, the defendant claims they are covered by free speech. That's a very low bar but if the defendant passes it, Maddow passed it, the burden shifted to whether OAN was likely to win. They weren't. They got tossed.

Done. Outta here. Hasta la vista, baby. And pay the bitch on the way out.

The truth of the matter was that OAN did employ someone who was employed by the Russians; and truth is the first defense to libel. But the case didn't even get that far. It was just a bullshit SLAPP suit and it got tossed.

Lastly, concluding anything about Maddow from OAN losing their bullshit case against her is stupid.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Rain Man said:

We'd love to keep the province, but you can have Ottawa and do anything you want with it.  

I would take Ottawa in a heartbeat - it is a great world capital 

and they even have sailing there 

2 hours ago, Olsonist said:
4 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

BBA's at the state level are an entirely different animal than at the federal level.

State finances more closely mirror personal finances while federal finances do not.

The difference?

The ability to create money (and gradually inflate your way out of debt.)

57 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

I would take Ottawa in a heartbeat - it is a great world capital 

and they even have sailing there 

Is Ottawa a boring city?

Last year, the website SmarterTravel ranked Canada's “quiet and dull” national capital one of the nine most boring cities in the world.

Is Ottawa depressing?
... according to Bill Wilkerson, co-founder of the Global Business and Economic Roundtable on Addiction and Mental Health, Ottawa is the depression capital of Canada, and has been for the past ten years.Sep 22, 2010

Is Ottawa colder than Moscow?
No. But the temperature in Ottawa — ranked the seventh coldest capital based on annual average temperature — dipped to –24 C, compared to –23 C in Ulan Bator. ... 

How is the Ottawa rental market?
... one-bedroom rents are an average of $1,439, that's a 6.6 per cent year-over-year increase.

How bad is Ottawa winter?
Winters in Ottawa are severe. Much greater depths of snow are also found in Ottawa than Toronto.

Where should I not live in Ottawa?
Most Dangerous Neighborhoods In Ottawa, ON
  • Heron Gate. Population 5,324. 54 % ...
  • Russell Heights. Population 500. 52 % ...
  • Ledbury. Population 6,682. 51 % ...
  • Canadian National Resource Council. Population 183. ...
  • Rideau View. Population 1,773. ...
  • Quarries. Population 3,367. ...
  • Manor Park South. Population 3,831. ...
  • Cyrville Industrial Area. Population 905.
Is there a housing shortage in Ottawa?
Data from the City of Ottawa Rental Market Analysis published in March 2019 shows that in 20 out of 29 Ottawa neighborhoods, more than 40 per cent of renters are living in unaffordable housing, which is defined as a dwelling where the household spends more than 30 per cent of their income on shelter.

Are house prices going up in Ottawa?
Ottawa's average price increased by 18.5 per cent and now sits at just over $653,000. At least 17 of the real estate boards who report their results to CREA saw their benchmark sale prices rise by 30 per cent or more. In Bancroft, the benchmark was 55.6 per cent higher than it was last August.

Is Ottawa poor?
Although Ottawa is a relatively wealthy city, large segments of the population live on low income. Immigrants, indigenous people and those living with disabilities are all disproportionately represented in the low-income population.

Why is Ottawa so boring?
Ottawa is not known as a party city. In fact it is known as being quite the opposite. Many say it's boring because it doesn't have the exciting night life that one can find in Toronto or Montreal. It doesn't have the same number of restaurants, bars, cafes, discos, and shopping centers that the bigger cities have.Apr 20, 2021

But hey! There's the sailing.
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

The 2020 Election Fuckery thread disappeared too. Bummer. 

So BB's been disappeared. No loss there, but too bad about the thread. 

2 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Wasn't that a @Dog thread?

Nope, BB. Be interesting to see which socks have vanished.

Analysis-How fast does it spread?: Scientists ask whether Omicron can outrun Delta

Despite the Vespa cowboy's assertions, this is not to be downplayed.  Only time will tell.

Several disease experts interviewed by Reuters said there are strong grounds already for believing that Omicron will render vaccines less effective. Omicron shares several key mutations with two previous variants, Beta and Gamma, that made them less vulnerable to vaccines. In addition, Omicron has 26 unique mutations, many of them in regions targeted by vaccine antibodies. 

6 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

So BB's been disappeared. No loss there, but too bad about the thread. 

The threads that end up backfiring are the only things of value those guys leave here. None will ever surpass the Yoo Hoo thread but they come close. The problem is that when they go bad, we get a rash of stupid bullshit threads until JZK has time to move the goalposts.  

4 minutes ago, Ishmael said:
11 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Juste licke the soldiere in white, poore Billey Backstaye............ wearre gonig misse hime.........

Wait, what? @billy backstay is still with us, near as I can tell.

In this case, the "BB" refers to BravoBravo.

Good riddance.  He was a pimple on the ass of this forum.

• Like 1
Just now, Bus Driver said:
5 minutes ago, Ishmael said:
12 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Juste licke the soldiere in white, poore Billey Backstaye............ wearre gonig misse hime.........

Wait, what? @billy backstay is still with us, near as I can tell.

Yeah, I knew that and I thought his flicking was long overdue. I was mystified by Snaggy's reference to Billy Backstay.

11 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Yeah, I knew that and I thought his flicking was long overdue. I was mystified by Snaggy's reference to Billy Backstay.

Snaggy mystifies me with most of his posts! I am still alive and kicking, and trying to figure out this new "retirement" thing, bit of a challenge so far......

20 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

So has Bravo Bravo been flicked?   What about the new RWNJ sock we are assuming his he?

53 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Analysis-How fast does it spread?: Scientists ask whether Omicron can outrun Delta

Despite the Vespa cowboy's assertions, this is not to be downplayed.  Only time will tell.

Several disease experts interviewed by Reuters said there are strong grounds already for believing that Omicron will render vaccines less effective. Omicron shares several key mutations with two previous variants, Beta and Gamma, that made them less vulnerable to vaccines. In addition, Omicron has 26 unique mutations, many of them in regions targeted by vaccine antibodies. 

Vaxed and today boosted.  Not worried in the least bit.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Is Ottawa a boring city?

Last year, the website SmarterTravel ranked Canada's “quiet and dull” national capital one of the nine most boring cities in the world.

Is Ottawa depressing?
... according to Bill Wilkerson, co-founder of the Global Business and Economic Roundtable on Addiction and Mental Health, Ottawa is the depression capital of Canada, and has been for the past ten years.Sep 22, 2010

Is Ottawa colder than Moscow?
No. But the temperature in Ottawa — ranked the seventh coldest capital based on annual average temperature — dipped to –24 C, compared to –23 C in Ulan Bator. ... 

How is the Ottawa rental market?
... one-bedroom rents are an average of $1,439, that's a 6.6 per cent year-over-year increase.

How bad is Ottawa winter?
Winters in Ottawa are severe. Much greater depths of snow are also found in Ottawa than Toronto.

Where should I not live in Ottawa?
Most Dangerous Neighborhoods In Ottawa, ON
  • Heron Gate. Population 5,324. 54 % ...
  • Russell Heights. Population 500. 52 % ...
  • Ledbury. Population 6,682. 51 % ...
  • Canadian National Resource Council. Population 183. ...
  • Rideau View. Population 1,773. ...
  • Quarries. Population 3,367. ...
  • Manor Park South. Population 3,831. ...
  • Cyrville Industrial Area. Population 905.
Is there a housing shortage in Ottawa?
Data from the City of Ottawa Rental Market Analysis published in March 2019 shows that in 20 out of 29 Ottawa neighborhoods, more than 40 per cent of renters are living in unaffordable housing, which is defined as a dwelling where the household spends more than 30 per cent of their income on shelter.

Are house prices going up in Ottawa?
Ottawa's average price increased by 18.5 per cent and now sits at just over $653,000. At least 17 of the real estate boards who report their results to CREA saw their benchmark sale prices rise by 30 per cent or more. In Bancroft, the benchmark was 55.6 per cent higher than it was last August.

Is Ottawa poor?
Although Ottawa is a relatively wealthy city, large segments of the population live on low income. Immigrants, indigenous people and those living with disabilities are all disproportionately represented in the low-income population.

Why is Ottawa so boring?
Ottawa is not known as a party city. In fact it is known as being quite the opposite. Many say it's boring because it doesn't have the exciting night life that one can find in Toronto or Montreal. It doesn't have the same number of restaurants, bars, cafes, discos, and shopping centers that the bigger cities have.Apr 20, 2021

But hey! There's the sailing.

Many, maybe even most Capital cities are known for being boring - Bonn is one that comes to mind.

My parents spent two years in Ottawa right after the war - they said it was the worst two years of their lives.

And if you think about it, that was after being apart for the first 4 years of their marriage - that is one boring city.;)

Just now, Bus Driver said:

Not me.  I find that "popularity contest" aspect of this forum to be juvenile.

5722 uppers?

You sound like a rich guy saying money doesn't matter.

7 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

5722 uppers?

You sound like a rich guy saying money doesn't matter.

I pay no mind to that.  Seriously. 

It's little more than a middle-school contest to be crowned "King/Queen of the Cafeteria".

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Yeah.  But, his "Activity" has been nuked.

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 4.08.16 PM.png

I sent him an PM with words of encouragement.  I miss his repartee.  Hopefully he’ll start posting again so we can get his reputation score back to where he belongs .  Mark of the Beast!