Vigilante Justice

Vigilante justice and the end of America

Two recent vigilante killing trials, one in Georgia, the other in Wisconsin, have exposed a terrifying trend of armed citizens who, in the name of justice, only make America less safe and portend a future of fear, intimidation and increasing violence.

They also raise a question that haunts me: How the hell did we get here? When did we start permitting Americans to take the law into their own hands?

In the first trial, teen shooter Kyle Rittenhouse was found not guilty of murdering two men he shot to death during a racial-justice protest in Kenosha, Wis. in August 2020. Rittenhouse shot a third man as well, but he survived. Now 18, Rittenhouse had left his home in Illinois and gone to the protest with an AR-15-style semiautomatic rifle and a medical kit — allegedly to help keep the peace.

Defense lawyers made a convincing-enough case that jurors found that Rittenhouse met the legal definition of self-defense. Though reactions to the verdict have varied, almost everyone would agree that Rittenhouse had no business wielding a weapon of such deadly force. Who would think to do such a thing?

Oh, lots of people, especially the Young Guns in our country who’ve marinated in tough talk and rough politics for most of their lives.

In Georgia, jury deliberations began Tuesday in the trial of three men accused of murdering 25-year-old Ahmaud Arbery, for basically Jogging While Black. Somewhat like Rittenhouse, the three men were armed, they said, because of recent burglaries in their community and they thought Arbery looked like he could be the culprit. In a word, they hunted Arbery — and they killed him.

It seems unlikely that any jury would let the three defendants off given the evidence and a superbly -delivered prosecution by attorney Linda Dunikoski. But even setting aside the presumed verdict, we’re again faced with armed goons who killed an innocent man for no reason or cause. Even the shooter, Travis McMichael, admitted during his testimony that Arbery posed no threat.

More trials for similar behavior are, unfortunately, inevitable in our hyped-up, trigger-happy, madder-than-hell country. It’s getting harder to pinpoint what everyone is so angry about — an extended pandemic, inflation, supply-chain problems, our politics — but a certain percentage of disgruntled people seem ready to go to war.

This is not normal — or, for a people, sustainable. If once we fought a Civil War to end slavery, today we’ll fight over just about any little provocation. Cut off in traffic? Shoot the bastard. I am not joking: Between June 2020 and May 2021, an average of 42 people per month were killed or wounded in road-rage shootings, according to Everytown for Gun Safety, a gun violence prevention organization. Other local officials report that disagreements that were once routinely settled with words or at worst police intervention, now often end in violence.

How did we come unglued?

The commonplace nature of firearms is a factor. Whereas it was once rare to see people walking around with a gun, except in hunting or rural settings, the United States now boasts 44 states that allow people to openly carry a weapon in public, though states vary on restrictions. Thus, last year during the Portland, Ore. riots, we saw would-be combatants stalking around with their long guns. In Brunswick, Ga., during the trial of Travis McMichael, his father, Gregory, and neighbor William Bryan, the new Black Panthers walked along downtown sidewalks carrying rifles. I don’t necessarily worry such displays of firepower mean someone is going to start shooting, but what else are we to infer?

In common law, going back centuries, there has been a long tradition against carrying weapons in a manner that bred fears among the public. What has happened to that way of thinking?

Something. What we see today has been a long time coming, perhaps beneath our notice. I compare the phenomenon to being so mesmerized by the sight of a far-off tidal wave that it paralyzes nearly until the wall of water is upon us.

People who were once political rivals now talk about each other as if they are enemies. We see ever-growing numbers of extremists on the right, where white supremacists have been validated by a former president of the United States. They also feel vindicated by Rittenhouse’s verdict and see him as a hero, just as those men down in Georgia likely see themselves.

With each stance of an armed vigilante, with each bullet he loads and locks into some gun’s chamber, we lose a bit more of our security and, therefore, our freedom. The truth is, a vigilante who attempts to take justice into his own hands is usually a coward with an inflated ego used as a beard to conceal his deficiencies.

The challenge for the rest of us is to resist these posers and demand real justice lest we become victims of our own inertia.

• Like 7

Yes, vigilantism is bad..... sometimes.

image.thumb.png.0e50ad7b8db90569ac9a2b17199507e9.png

We even have a poster @SloopJonB said just a bit ago that they would have been "within their rights" to start shooting if they didn't get the Amaud Arbery trial verdict they hoped for.  

1 minute ago, d'ranger said:

Question for BM - if it was self defense why wasn't the guy who pointed his gun at widdle Kyle charged?

Take your time.

You mean the guy who was illegally carrying the gun?  You will have to ask little binger.

2 hours ago, Burning Man said:

We even have a poster @SloopJonB said just a bit ago that they would have been "within their rights" to start shooting if they didn't get the Amaud Arbery trial verdict they hoped for.  

Are black's not allowed to be vigilantes like everyone else?

This is the issue with vigilantism, who's right? It is a paradox and ONLY anti-vigilante laws can stop it.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, d'ranger said:

Question for BM - if it was self defense why wasn't the guy who pointed his gun at widdle Kyle charged?

Take your time.

Don't need to take any time..... I'm sure they aren't filing charges because the DA's office already lost one case miserably badly and likely doesn't want to get embarrassed again.  And also since he was a witness for the prosecution, I'm also sure there was an immunity deal that he wouldn't be charged with any wrong doing.  

Any other stupid questions, since this apparently is stupid question hour?

27 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

Don't need to take any time..... I'm sure they aren't filing charges because the DA's office already lost one case miserably badly and likely doesn't want to get embarrassed again.  And also since he was a witness for the prosecution, I'm also sure there was an immunity deal that he wouldn't be charged with any wrong doing.  

Wait wait, you're saying Biceps Boy pointed his gun at Kyle? And that's what he testified in court? I said that exact same thing and you spent most of yesterday screaming at me what f**** liar I am. What's up with that?

- DSK

3 hours ago, Burning Man said:

White guys can shoot if afraid. Why not black guys?

43 minutes ago, Ncik said:

Are black's not allowed to be vigilantes like everyone else?

This is the issue with vigilantism, who's right? It is a paradox and ONLY anti-vigilante laws can stop it.

What is the issue?  Did someone here say they shoulnd't be allowed to carry?

2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Wait wait, you're saying Biceps Boy pointed his gun at Kyle? And that's what he testified in court? I said that exact same thing and you spent most of yesterday screaming at me what f**** liar I am. What's up with that?

- DSK

No as usual you lie again.  You just can't help yourself, can you?  This is what you said:

On 11/22/2021 at 3:48 PM, Steam Flyer said:

It wasn't a quick draw duel, biceps-boy lowered his gun apparently deciding not to kill poor little Kyle

- DSK

No bicep-less didn't decide to not kill poot little kyle.....  he decided to have another try at killing him when he made the "I give up" gesture and kyle lower his rifle and then bicep then drew down on him again, which is when he was shot after pointing his gun at KR the second time.    

6 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

No as usual you lie again.  You just can't help yourself, can you?  This is what you said:

No bicep-less didn't decide to not kill poot little kyle.....  he decided to have another try at killing him when he made the "I give up" gesture and kyle lower his rifle and then bicep then drew down on him again, which is when he was shot after pointing his gun at KR the second time.    

So, if no-one had a gun, no-one would have been shot?

2 hours ago, Burning Man said:

Well, what do ya know, its just like the Americano cowboy movies, except, which one should be wearing the white cowboy hat ?

enquiring minds want to know.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Raz'r said:

White guys can shoot if afraid. Why not black guys?

The black guys were smarter.  They came out in greater numbers, and I suspect that they didn't allow one of their group to get separated.  But I suspect that had one of their group got separated, nothing would happen to them.

8 hours ago, Burning Man said:
On 11/22/2021 at 6:48 PM, Steam Flyer said:

It wasn't a quick draw duel, biceps-boy lowered his gun apparently deciding not to kill poor little Kyle

Ah yes, there's the old partial quote you've accused me of.

The main point of what I said, that you'd like to deny, is that Biceps-Boy (as your elk like to call him) HAD HIS GUN OUT, AND MORE OR LESS AIMED AT KYLE which made him a deadly threat. Self-defense with deadly force justified when Kyle shot him.

This is what was given in court, like you said.

Big caveat: Biceps Boy would have been equally justified in shooting Kyle. But he didn't.

- DSK

4 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Big caveat: Biceps Boy would have been equally justified in shooting Kyle. But he didn't.

- DSK

Kyle was running away from Bye Cep.  It is not self defense to chase someone down, point a gun at their head and shoot them.  Kyle just spoke to that guy and told him that he was going to the police, and then left the situation.  He was zero threat to byce cep until the glock was pointed at his head.

3 minutes ago, jzk said:

Kyle was running away from Bye Cep.  It is not self defense to chase someone down, point a gun at their head and shoot them.  Kyle just spoke to that guy and told him that he was going to the police, and then left the situation.  He was zero threat to byce cep until the glock was pointed at his head.

Oh yeah, except for the fact that he'd just shot and killed two guys

No threat at all

Go with that

- DSK

Just now, Steam Flyer said:

Oh yeah, except for the fact that he'd just shot and killed two guys

No threat at all

Go with that

- DSK

At the time he spoke to Byecep and told him he was going to the police, he was not threatening anyone.  After he started to run toward the police, but before getting hit with the skateboard, Byecep guy pulled out his gun and began chasing after him.  

Try to get your facts straight.

25 minutes ago, jzk said:

At the time he spoke to Byecep and told him he was going to the police, he was not threatening anyone.  After he started to run toward the police, but before getting hit with the skateboard, Byecep guy pulled out his gun and began chasing after him.  

Try to get your facts straight.

He can’t.  To quote Pink Floyd 

But it was only fantasy
The wall was too high
As you can see
No matter how he tried
He could not break free
And the worms ate into his brain

14 hours ago, Burning Man said:

Yes. The sound of Kyle racking his gun, while Gaige's hands were raised, was caught on audio. 

Kyle must have pulled the trigger...and this little Rambo bit got a handgun pointed at him.

Don't take your time, with your ultra-violent response, to this AW action figure, Kyle Rittenhouse. :rolleyes:

Kyle did not rack-cycle the gun's action. (Fuck off and do your own homework to find what actually did happen there.)

That action had no bearing in the legal aspect of the encounter which has been dissected numerous times here.

55 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

Kyle did not rack-cycle the gun's action. (Fuck off and do your own homework to find what actually did happen there.)

That action had no bearing in the legal aspect of the encounter which has been dissected numerous times here.

back up your position. source your position, pal.

16 hours ago, Burning Man said:

Why would bicep boy approach so close if killing had been his focus? Do you think that every time someone points a firearm is absolutely only to start firing or something? What happens if that logic is applied to Kyle and his buds?  

6 minutes ago, Mark K said:

Why would bicep boy approach so close if killing had been his focus? Do you think that every time someone points a firearm is absolutely only to start firing or something? What happens if that logic is applied to Kyle and his buds?  

Bye cep boy pulled the gun out and pointed it at Kyle's head.  Apply the logic.

21 minutes ago, Mark K said:

I was taught in the military that you only point a gun at someone if you intend to use it.

Conversely, I was taught to assume that anyone pointing a gun at me is going to use it.

When biceps boy pointed his gun (which is against the law in Wisconsin) he should have used it but he didn’t and suffered the consequences.

2 hours ago, jocal505 said:

back up your position. source your position, pal.

No, I already told you to fuck off and do your own homework.

Here's the thing, if your sources haven't explained what transpired at that moment you need better sources.

Big hint, leave your echo chamber and go to Kyle's interview.

2 hours ago, jzk said:

Bye cep boy pulled the gun out and pointed it at Kyle's head.  Apply the logic.

Yep, dueling self-defense claims which is why Bi-CEP wasn’t charged.

20 hours ago, Ease the sheet. said:

So, if no-one had a gun, no-one would have been shot?

There are a lot of what ifs.

What if Jacob Blake hadn't resisted arrest? 

What if the media hadn't started the big lie "COPS SHOOT UNARMED BLACK MAN"?

What if the pedo had not been released from the mental institution that day?

What if Kyle had not put out  the pedo's dumpster fire?

What if the pedo hadn't threatened Kyle that if he saw him alone he would kill him?

What if pedo hadn't chased, cornered Kyle, then try to take his rifle?

What is skateboard guy wisely decided not to take a skateboard to a gunfight?

What if Lefty was not unlawfully carrying a concealed weapon?

I don't think Kyle should have been there. But he doesn't lose his right to self defense.

• Like 2

Yawn.

The OP waxed philosophic about vigilantes, then admitted Kyle's trial turned out to be about self defense, and the Ahmaud's killers were convicted and the fuckup prosecutor who tried to cover things up got indicted and booked for failure to prosecute.

Chill out, dear lefties. The waters are just as muddy as before. Justice may well be blind but she ain't stupid and the rules are getting interpreted and applied fairly effectively by juries across the nation.

That's all we can hope for, until we concentrate on the actual problem. The availability of guns and those who are bound and determined to see them strapped across every back & holstered on every hip in every school and workplace in every zip code.

The gun manufacturers are counting the bucks, but even they will be the victims of their own success as printable guns become cheaper, more available and delivered by Amazon Prime later today if you order now.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, phillysailor said:

That's all we can hope for, until we concentrate on the actual problem. The availability of guns and those who are bound and determined to see them strapped across every back & holstered on every hip in every school and workplace in every zip code.

The gun manufacturers are counting the bucks, but even they will be the victims of their own success as printable guns become cheaper, more available and delivered by Amazon Prime later today if you order now.

Well said.  Now how to get the toothpaste back in the tube?

6 hours ago, F_L said:

There are a lot of what ifs.

What if Jacob Blake hadn't resisted arrest? 

What if the media hadn't started the big lie "COPS SHOOT UNARMED BLACK MAN"?

What if the pedo had not been released from the mental institution that day?

What if Kyle had not put out  the pedo's dumpster fire?

What if the pedo hadn't threatened Kyle that if he saw him alone he would kill him?

What if pedo hadn't chased, cornered Kyle, then try to take his rifle?

What is skateboard guy wisely decided not to take a skateboard to a gunfight?

What if Lefty was not unlawfully carrying a concealed weapon?

What if the entire fuckin' country wasn't insane about guns and deteriorating?

• Like 1
10 hours ago, phillysailor said:

There are ongoing confiscation programs in a number of states, more proposed in others, and always efforts to ban battlefield .22's and other such weapons of war.

Are you concerned that we don't have more confiscation programs, or concerned that the existing ones are failing so badly?

17 hours ago, Mark K said:
On 11/24/2021 at 10:54 PM, Burning Man said:

:lol:   :lol: he said "logic"

Many of my posts just make Jeffbo/BM angry. Very angry indeed. When that happens, he just can't help himself, starts screeching & whining that I've altered his post or am lying or both. Even when his statement is the same thing I just said.

Sensible people hope the Rittenhouse case will not be a precedent.

- DSK

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Well said.  Now how to get the toothpaste back in the tube?

400+M guns that we know of and who knows how many more? And counting, altho guessing about imports because ... imports.

Whining Talking politely about a gun free America without a germ of an idea how to get there ... not even an offer to start a petition ... (citizens only please) ... just doesn't cut it IRL.

In almost 10 years chained to the mast, I can recall only one "realistic" suggestion and that to amend the 2A (no small thing), then grandfather in existing weapons (guessing registered only and only the ones that haven't had a boating accident), and then submitting them for "destruction" (in some legislator's dreams) at the death of the registered owner. This could take a century or more from the jump if we started today which is unlikely.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

Talking politely about a gun free America

Who’s talking about a “gun free America”?

Anybody with a lick of sense knows that ain’t happening. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Thanks for proving my point. I listed several contributing factors of the shit show that night. But many want to blame just the gun.

32 minutes ago, F_L said:
9 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Thanks for proving my point. I listed several contributing factors of the shit show that night. But many want to blame just the gun.

If the gun hadn't been there, nobody would have been shot

QED

IMHO it's big problem that so gun violence is glorified in the USA. And I think it makes the problem worse... related issue?... that many people want to make a folk hero out of Kyle

- DSK

29 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

QED

IMHO it's big problem that so gun violence is glorified in the USA. And I think it makes the problem worse... related issue?... that many people want to make a folk hero out of Kyle

- DSK

1353462731.jpg

People are always looking for heroes. 

2 minutes ago, F_L said:

1353462731.jpg

People are always looking for heroes. 

I agree but whoever made that poster is... umm... let's just say not very smart

There is the narrative that people nearby thought Kyle was an active shooter. Maybe that's what they were focusing on.

- DSK

35 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

QED

- DSK

I think if these guys were there at the lot where Pedo attacked Rittenhouse, it wouldn't have happened.  I also bet that if these guys were patrolling the streets of Chicago, there would have been a whole lot less murders.   Some people aren't going to stop doing bad things unless confronted with well armed people.  

image.png.ee747ca961d55ed47a2f36ddcaf1d5be.png

2 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

There is the narrative that people nearby thought Kyle was an active shooter. Maybe that's what they were focusing on.

- DSK

yeah all kinds of false narratives going on.  "Active" shooter means a shooter that is "actively" shooting.  It doesn't mean someone that shot their weapon and is running to the police.  

6 minutes ago, jzk said:

yeah all kinds of false narratives going on.  "Active" shooter means a shooter that is "actively" shooting.  It doesn't mean someone that shot their weapon and is running to the police.  

the little fucker left the scenes of two significant crimes. he left a trail of mayhem, in doing so. wtf?

gun mayhem is what you got here.

predictable shit, emanating from the predictable terror, the INTENTIONAL terror, of introducing arms in public.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, jzk said:

I think if these guys were there at the lot where Pedo attacked Rittenhouse, it wouldn't have happened.  I also bet that if these guys were patrolling the streets of Chicago, there would have been a whole lot less murders.   Some people aren't going to stop doing bad things unless confronted with well armed people.  

image.png.ee747ca961d55ed47a2f36ddcaf1d5be.png

Why did KR leave the safety of his posse and go looking for trouble?

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

- DSK

I don't think Kyle is any kind of hero. Just a dumb kid put in a very bad spot by the pedo. I think after the first shooting mob, mentality kicked in directly effecting Skateboard guy and Lefty's decisions.

4 hours ago, jocal505 said:

the little fucker left the scenes of two significant crimes. he left a trail of mayhem, in doing so. wtf?

gun mayhem is what you got here.

predictable shit, emanating from the predictable terror, the INTENTIONAL terror, of introducing arms in public.

Yeah, pedos should be able to attack unarmed children.

6 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Tell it to the Aussies and the nice Canadians. 

We aren't gun free by any means.

Hell, I've owned guns and my kid has one for his work.

We are simply rational about them.

Just now, SloopJonB said:

We aren't gun free by any means.

Hell, I've owned guns and my kid has one for his work.

We are simply rational about them.

Yeah, the piece of shit that wishes Ivermectin would be made toxic to harm people is "rational" about his guns.

6 hours ago, F_L said:

No, I blame the attitudes towards them that are so prevalent in the USA.

6 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Why did KR leave the safety of his posse and go looking for trouble?

I've wondered when this would come up.

Why did he he leave the parking lot he claims he went to protect? Not enough action going on there?

I think it's called going on a "frolic of his own"

2 minutes ago, ShortForBob said:

I've wondered when this would come up.

Why did he he leave the parking lot he claims he went to protect? Not enough action going on there?

I think it's called going on a "frolic of his own"

The business had three lots.  He went from one to the another.  How dare he.

1 minute ago, jzk said:

The business had three lots.  He went from one to the another.  How dare he.

You're probably one of the most politically blinded posters here.

You denigrate the dead for your "cause".

Your comments are not worth responding to.

1 hour ago, jzk said:

Yeah, pedos should be able to attack unarmed children.

You claimed he was not an active shooter, but he was sure acting like one. He was a shooter rapidly leaving not one, but two, crime scenes. Bystanders stepped up against the deadly, armed, escaping dork.

You might curb your boy, in this trail of death, jzk.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, jocal505 said:

You claimed he was not an active shooter, but he was sure acting like one. He was a shooter rapidly leaving not one, but two, crime scenes. Bystanders stepped up against the deadly, armed, escaping dork.

You might curb your boy, in this trail of death, jzk.

You clearly have your facts wrong.  Go back and look again.

14 minutes ago, ShortForBob said:

Yes, it is very political to point out he was going from one car lot to another.

2 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:
8 minutes ago, jzk said:

If a pedo attacks a child what does it matter whether or not the child knew it was a pedo?

Is the attacker considered a pedo if there was no sexual context to the attack?

Waitaminute here. Now KR is a "child" but a jogger is a "criminal"? Jizkid is really thrashing around in the rough looking for his balls today.

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

You obviously don't care that words have meaning.

He should be over in the "let's confuse Chum" thread, the two of them could babble bullshit at each other and the rest of us could do something worthwhile.

1 hour ago, ShortForBob said:

The ignore button is your friend - then you only see his drivel when inconsiderate people quote him.

51 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

The ignore button is your friend - then you only see his drivel when inconsiderate people quote him.

I'm big enough to simply ignore him.

He's the kind that would call a raped woman "the hooker" if she was a sex worker raped by Kyle and his elk.

2 hours ago, Ease the sheet. said:

I wonder the outcome if bicep boy had of shot and killed Rittenhouse.

Would bicep boy be a hero and Kyle a failed mass murderer?

Of course

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

Waitaminute here. Now KR is a "child" but a jogger is a "criminal"? Jizkid is really thrashing around in the rough looking for his balls today.

Cause KR is white. Duh.

On 11/25/2021 at 7:50 AM, jocal505 said:

Yes. The sound of Kyle racking his gun, while Gaige's hands were raised, was caught on audio. 

Kyle must have pulled the trigger...and this little Rambo bit got a handgun pointed at him.

Don't take your time, with your ultra-violent response, to this AW action figure, Kyle Rittenhouse. :rolleyes:

"Racking his gun"???  :lol:  

Please send me an address to send a check.  I've always said you can't pay for this kind of entertainment.  But this is some quality laugh material and I feel like I need to pay some of that back for the years of entertainment you've provided.  

4 hours ago, Burning Man said:

"Racking his gun"???  :lol:  

Please send me an address to send a check.  I've always said you can't pay for this kind of entertainment.  But this is some quality laugh material and I feel like I need to pay some of that back for the years of entertainment you've provided.  

You just said...nothing. 

On 11/24/2021 at 2:35 PM, hobie1616 said:

Two recent vigilante killing trials, one in Georgia, the other in Wisconsin, have exposed a terrifying trend of armed citizens who, in the name of justice, only make America less safe and portend a future of fear, intimidation and increasing violence.

Part of the stoking a war of the masses so as to prevent a war of the classes.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Ease the sheet. said:

I wonder the outcome if bicep boy had of shot and killed Rittenhouse.

Would bicep boy be a hero and Kyle a failed mass murderer?

Sadly, that's probably exactly the way it would have been portrayed in the media and the narrative would have become ingrained in lore. Especially if there had been no video.   With the video, Not sure how the jury would have called it, given that KR was the victim being chased.  And it's clear from the AA trial that you cannot chase and corner someone and then claim self-defense when he tries to defend himself from you as the aggressor.