Air B&B Vs. VRBO?

I freely admit, I have not yet surfed either one to see what else is available in our area, I will look into that in the morning.

We used VRBO for a flat above a restaurant in Venice 3 years ago, and Air BNB for a small house in Jamestown RI, for friends wedding there a year later, IIRC??

Our garage loft apartment, "Tree Tops" will become a vacation rental, come June next year.  Some of our friends have had good results renting their small home or apartments out to visitors seeking to be here.  It's 700 sq. ft open floor plan with a half wall separating the living-dining areas from the bed and bath is in that corner.  The Riverview is much better than our Ranch house next to it, as it's 10 feet higher in elevation.  

If we can get 250, or 300 a night with a 3 night minimum we will cover what our tenant has been paying in 2 or 3 weekends, and our utilities will go way down.  Will have to pay our cleaning gals in between, of course.

They're both shit but there is no need to choose.  Look into a channel manager / accounts system.  We use little hotelier, between a cheap website, social media etc you should be able to get about 60-70% of your bookings directly which saves you the 15-20% commissions from the OTAs.   Airbnb, Trivago etc will synchronize into the system and calendars etc will automatically block out on each if you get a booking on one. 

Looking for weddings at the Griz, Copper Beech, and other wedding reception rentals? I guess the Goodspeed would also be a draw, but other than scenic trips up and down the river what is there (Don't forget I spent 50+ years there and never saw what charm people saw....)

10 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Looking for weddings at the Griz, Copper Beech, and other wedding reception rentals? I guess the Goodspeed would also be a draw, but other than scenic trips up and down the river what is there (Don't forget I spent 50+ years there and never saw what charm people saw....)

There's Frostbite racing on the river, March through May, and October through  December and bigger boat racing all summer on Long Island Sound.

12 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

We have often stayed in the Essex area when visiting New Haven, and I suspect we are not the only ones...  

2 hours ago, jewingiv said:

We have often stayed in the Essex area when visiting New Haven, and I suspect we are not the only ones...  

Friend of ours has a small older house on Pratt Street, across the street for the Town Park and Tennis Courts behind the Town Hall, half mile or so walk to the Village.   She  doesn't even advertise it any more, just gets the same repeat guests year after year.  In the summer she lives on her boat on a mooring in the Harbor, and winters at her BF's house to crash, when she has guests..... 

Former business partner from Real Estate days has a guest house next door to their summer house on Hog Island in Narragansett Bay.  There is no electric utility on the island, and some very wealthy folks bring their kids there to get them away from TV's and screens, and make the kids fish and dig clams to feed themselves.  Kind of like "tough love" real life experiences.  Her guests told her that 250 a day was too cheap, so they raised it to 300.

EDIT..  I reckon I will have to offer an SA member discount? :lol:  Best thing is, we will make sure it's available when our kids and/or their mates want to stay here.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, billy backstay said:

There's Frostbite racing on the river, March through May, and October through  December and bigger boat racing all summer on Long Island Sound.

Ah yes.... Having always lived close enough.... But now that you remind me of the seasonal invasion, I can see the allure.

34 minutes ago, tizak said:

For longer term situations check out Sabbatical Homes. Not well known (at least where I am) and not necessarily marketed to the huddled masses:

https://www.sabbaticalhomes.com/

We rented one for a year and had a very good experience.

Thanks for that, will check it out.  But I don't think we want longer term, so it will be available for family to use.