Jobless claims. Suck on this RWNJs. Lowest levels since 1969.

CNN: Weekly claims for unemployment benefits fell below pre-pandemic levels last week, according to data from Labor Department. Last week's jobless claims totaled 199,000 when adjusted for seasonal swings, lowest level since November 15, 1969.
3 minutes ago, Remodel said:

CNN: Weekly claims for unemployment benefits fell below pre-pandemic levels last week, according to data from Labor Department. Last week's jobless claims totaled 199,000 when adjusted for seasonal swings, lowest level since November 15, 1969.

Can you quote a more reputable source before I comment about this?

You know like Fox News or even the onion?

lol 

35 minutes ago, Remodel said:
  •  
You've chosen to ignore content that might contradict your preconceived ideas

Did someone say anything that I agree with ?

If not then I don’t want to hear…

What you meant to say…

lol

**Crickets**

The fact is that facts don’t matter to either side of these arguments.

But I remind you all that There are no “my facts” or “my truths” there are only THE facts and THE truth. No My Fox or My CNN, and both sides of the divide are equally guilty of distortion.

Sea Slug seems a bit slow on the uptake.

You've chosen to ignore content by Sea warrior. Options

1 hour ago, Sea warrior said:

Like the fact that 15% of our population are responsible for over 50% of the violent crimes in this country?

Those dammed facts indeed!!!

Actually, violent crimes on an annual basis are committed by 0.336% of the population. 

Admittedly, it is almost certain most crimes are CAUSED by Right wing whackos who start the  15% most useless threads in PA. 

1 minute ago, Gouvernail said:

Like the fact that 15% of our population are responsible for over 50% of the violent crimes in this country?

Those dammed facts indeed!!!

Expand  

Expand  

Actually, violent crimes on an annual basis are committed by 0.336% of the population. 

Admittedly, it is almost certain most crimes are CAUSED by Right wing whackos who start the  15% most useless threads in PA. 

I didn't think the Proud Boys and their elk comprised 15% of the population. Learn something every day.

2 hours ago, Sea warrior said:

What the actual fuck.

15% of 329.5 million (2020 google stat) = 49.4 million

You're saying that nearly 50 million people in USA are violent criminals.

Your law enforcement is extremely outnumbered and doing a shit job. There's only 2.3 million in prison (2016 google stat).

Jesus Christ, get out man, no-one is safe. Why are you even on here, you should be packing your bags and organising a refugee boat to anywhere else.

Seriously, there's a reason no-one likes you.

Just now, Ncik said:
2 hours ago, Sea warrior said:

What the actual fuck.

Your law enforcement is extremely outnumbered and doing a shit job. There's only 2.3 million in prison (2016 google stat).

Jesus Christ, get out man, no-one is safe. Why are you even on here, you should be packing your bags and organising a refugee boat to anywhere else.

What he's doing is conflating the Black population at large with violent crime. He's a simple (very simple) racist to the core.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Remodel said:

That’s Political puff from a failing Biden administration

Joe  is going down .. resignation or impeachment 

“The labor force participation rate, a measure of how many people work or are actively looking for jobs, has been holding steady for months at 61.6 percent, down 1.7 percentage points from its February 2020 level.

Participation of people in their prime working years is ticking up gradually, rising to 81.7 percent in October from 81.6 percent in September, but that too remains depressed compared with the rate before the pandemic. In February 2020, 82.9 percent of those 25 to 54 years old were in the labor force.”

On 7/2/2021 at 11:21 AM, Sol Rosenberg said:

That terrible jobs report 850K added is going to be a big drag on the market.  What's the play gonna be, bullshitters?  Gonna go for the Labor Force Participation Rate again? 

3 hours ago, slug zitski said:

That’s Political puff from a failing Biden administration

Joe  is going down .. resignation or impeachment 

“The labor force participation rate, a measure of how many people work or are actively looking for jobs, has been holding steady for months at 61.6 percent, down 1.7 percentage points from its February 2020 level.

Participation of people in their prime working years is ticking up gradually, rising to 81.7 percent in October from 81.6 percent in September, but that too remains depressed compared with the rate before the pandemic. In February 2020, 82.9 percent of those 25 to 54 years old were in the labor force.”

It took a while but there it is. Bullshitters always go back to the same trough. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Ishmael said:

What he's doing is conflating the Black population at large with violent crime. He's a simple (very simple) racist to the core.

Young Black men make up 4 percent of the population and commit 50 percent of violent crime 

7 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I’ve got one of those too!

You've chosen to ignore content by Sea warrior. Options 

9 hours ago, Sea warrior said:

and both sides of the divide are equally guilty of distortion.

Just saying it doesn't make it so. I've seen Cuomo and Lemon get fiesty but nothing like the three Faux Folk I've listed. Why hang in with an opinion that can't be supported ... like ... at all?

FWIW,

https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/OPA/newsreleases/ui-claims/20212071.pdf

That's the actual report.  The number of jobless claims ticked up slightly week to week but governments do everything by referencing the magic baseline projection "for clairity", so the 'seasonally adjusted' number dropped to 50 year lows. 

Its the same math that says a 1% reduction in the rate of growth against a projected rate of growth of 5% is actually a 'cut', even though you're spending more this year than last year for the same service.  Clearly, that's more straight forward.... :blink:

Its pretty undeniable that claims are continuing to drift down over time but it looks pretty bottomed out personally.  It looks like the 250K number / week is pretty "normal."

I am kind of curious why there's a seasonally adjusted UPTICK expectation in unemployment claims around Thanksgiving.  I guess it's company layoffs at the end of the fiscal year but before the end of the calendar year?  I know there's always an INCREASE in actual jobs due to Christmas holiday hiring but that's a different category.

2 minutes ago, BeSafe said:

FWIW,

https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/OPA/newsreleases/ui-claims/20212071.pdf

That's the actual report.  The number of jobless claims ticked up slightly week to week but governments do everything by referencing the magic baseline projection "for clairity", so the 'seasonally adjusted' number dropped to 50 year lows. 

Its the same math that says a 1% reduction in the rate of growth against a projected rate of growth of 5% is actually a 'cut', even though you're spending more this year than last year for the same service.  Clearly, that's more straight forward.... :blink:

Its pretty undeniable that claims are continuing to drift down over time but it looks pretty bottomed out personally.  It looks like the 250K number / week is pretty "normal."

I am kind of curious why there's an expected UPTICK in unemployment claims around Thanksgiving.  I guess it's company layoffs at the end of the fiscal year but before the end of the calendar year?  I know there's always an INCREASE in actual jobs due to Christmas holiday hiring but that's a different category.

Labour force participation rate is the only number that counts 

8 hours ago, Ncik said:

What the actual fuck.

Apparently Denial is not just a river in Egypt .

lol

12 minutes ago, slug zitski said:

Labour force participation rate is the only number that counts 

Sure - I'm a big fan of demographics are economics.

That's why I'm personally in favor of increased immigration and why liberals tend to favor family-friendly policies like the earned income Child Credit and pre-k programs.

But that doesn't answer my question :)  Why is there an increased expectation of unemployment claims right before Thanksgiving?

3 minutes ago, Olsonist said:

Your boy Shitstain didn't count so goodly.

image.thumb.png.613f5f304442580f129b3cdc0963be0c.png

It only counts when democRATS are in the WH. It didn’t count when people were dropping out during Comrade Trump’s time in the White Dacha. BTW, you cited the wrong thing. You cited Labor Force. Very American Sluggy was talking about Labour Force. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, BeSafe said:

Sure - I'm a big fan of demographics are economics.

That's why I'm personally in favor of increased immigration and why liberals tend to favor family-friendly policies like the earned income Child Credit and pre-k programs.

But that doesn't answer my question :)  Why is there an increased expectation of unemployment claims right before Thanksgiving?

I don’t know , I’ve never had a job Probably holiday influenced 

as for immigration its critical to understand the difference between legal immigration and illegal immigration 

50 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

Just saying it doesn't make it so. I've seen Cuomo and Lemon get fiesty but nothing like the three Faux Folk I've listed. Why hang in with an opinion that can't be supported ... like ... at all?

There is only one difference between Carlson, Cumo, Lemon, stelter and Maddow and that is that Carlson doesn’t pretend to be anything other than what he is.

10 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

2 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

I’ve got one of those too!

Typical leftists behavior, Head in the sand and ignore the truth.

I love it when the idiots out themselves.

lol

3 minutes ago, slug zitski said:

as for immigration its critical to understand the difference between legal immigration and illegal immigration 

Illegal immigration is far more lucrative than legal immigration. That is why administrations either party never actually do anything about it.

( @Sea warrior seems to be having a BB-like mental catastrophe.)

1 minute ago, El Borracho said:

Illegal immigration is far more lucrative than legal immigration. That is why administrations either party never actually do anything about it.

( @Sea warrior seems to be having a BB-like mental catastrophe.)

Lol

I'm enjoying the fuck out of watching you idiots lie, ignore and deceive yourselves .

Ps. Do you know any illegal immigrants in this country?

17 minutes ago, Sea warrior said:

There is no difference buttercup.

A person who enters this country illegally is an illegal immigrant to this country.

My freedoms give me the right to use my language as I choose. I and other elites (heh) determined that only objects can be illegal, not people. Their entry or overstay may have been illegal. Their person is not. We would not write "Trump is an illegal", we would write "Trump is a criminal". You are welcome.

Oh, and they are earning from $25 to $60 per hour depending on their skills. I don't know their tax withholding status. I do know that they are far more desirable people than the entirety of the MAGA crowd. Not rapists or drug dealers or anything that scares you.

3 minutes ago, El Borracho said:

My freedoms give me the right to use my language as I choose. I and other elites (heh) determined that only objects can be illegal, not people. 

Your freedom affords you the right to lie on an obscure Internet forum.

It is incumbent upon those of us who wish to preserve those freedoms to call out your lies.

You're welcome.

3 minutes ago, Sea warrior said:

Your freedom affords you the right to lie on an obscure Internet forum. It is incumbent upon those of us who wish to preserve those freedoms to call out your lies. You're welcome.

That is all you have got? I understand your anger at the advances the working class is making in benefits, conditions, employment, and wages.

3 minutes ago, chum said:

Anyone?

You "wonder why"? Really? Could it be, in part, that the employers are clueless? Or is it that the employers are not job-creators and entrepreneurial heroes? The regressive rooster has come home to roost on that block.

44 minutes ago, chum said:

Posted before, worth repeating. 

A sign I saw: "EVERY BUSINESS ON THIS BLOCK IS HIRING, STIMULATE YOUR ASS BACK TO WORK!"

A huge number of positions are going unfilled, I wonder why?

What do you think?

I think people are wising up to the foolhardiness of working for a $7.25 minimum wage or anything close to it. You can work three of those jobs and still not be able to afford your own one bedroom apartment. Forget about child care for your child, healthy eating, medical insurance, even a movie once in a while. It's easier to stay with your folks in their basement than subject yourself to a boss who demands you meet any schedule, slave for what you earn, and get zero respect for doing anything at all.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, El Borracho said:

That is all you have got? I understand your anger at the advances the working class is making in benefits, conditions, employment, and wages.

Firstly, freedom is all any of us have got because at the end of the day if we don’t have freedom then we might as well be dead. Unfortunately,  idiots like you are a clear and present danger to our freedom with your persistence in demanding that black is white and that up is down etc.
That should have been abundantly clear in my above post, even to the most intellectually challenged amongst us including yourself.

Secondly, I started out in this country doing manual labor and still to this day get my hands dirty when necessary.

So, please don’t make anymore dumb assumptions.

Lol

I'm enjoying the fuck out of watching you idiots lie, ignore and deceive yourselves .

Ps. Do you know any illegal immigrants in this country?

I know 2 and only 1 works , so if you do the math , 50% of illegals don't work

11 minutes ago, Sea warrior said:

Firstly, freedom is all any of us have got because at the end of the day if we don’t have freedom then we might as well be dead.

Is that a fact? Sad if true in your life. Why does this back-and-forth read like you are a RW bot programmed with stale talking points? Not even entertaining much less thought-provoking. 

31 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

What do you think?

I think people are wising up to the foolhardiness of working for a $7.25 minimum wage or anything close to it. You can work three of those jobs and still not be able to afford your own one bedroom apartment. Forget about child care for your child, healthy eating, medical insurance, even a movie once in a while. It's easier to stay with your folks in their basement than subject yourself to a boss who demands you meet any schedule, slave for what you earn, and get zero respect for doing anything at all.

Goes to show you have never applied for a job - there is a thing called negotiation.  If you have the desired skills in a tight job market, you control the conversation.

If you decided to jack off and play video games in place of doing something that will take you out of the commoditized minimum wage job market, well, you get what you asked for.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, chum said:

I think its because people are paid to stay home, it's a lot easier than working.

Who's paying them to stay at home? LWA ended on Dec 27, 2020. State unemployment has run out by now, it looks to me like we are back to a one worker family, no needs or wants minimum wage work.

1 minute ago, badlatitude said:

Who's paying them to stay at home? LWA ended on Dec 27, 2020. State unemployment has run out by now, it looks to me like we are back to a one worker family, no needs or wants minimum wage work.

Free market Capitalism is amazing. Offer the right compensation and people will work. Try to steal their time, expertise or labor and they will go to work for someone else. Free Markets, Free People. Sometimes. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Ventucky Red said:

Goes to show you have never applied for a job - there is a thing called negotiation.  If you have the desired skills in a tight job market, you control the conversation.

If you decided to jack off and play video games in place of doing something that will take you out of the commoditized minimum wage job market, well, get what you asked for.

What skills do you need for a minimum wage job? Those are the majority of people not going back to work. Goes to show the only job you've ever had is looting Nordstrom's.

6 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

Ever heard of link cards and section 8?

3 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Free market Capitalism is amazing. Offer the right compensation and people will work. Try to steal their time, expertise or labor and they will go to work for someone else. Free Markets, Free People. Sometimes. 

I think this problem exists because the small business owner can't comprehend the idea of paying a person what they are worth. You are absolutely correct.

3 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

Welfare works for some people, other people want a decent wage.

Welfare should be a temporary solution for those capable of working.

Currently, there is a critical shortage of skilled tradesmen and women, but those skills take investment in one’s self.

6 minutes ago, Sea warrior said:

Welfare should be a temporary solution for those capable of working.

Currently, there is a critical shortage of skilled tradesmen and women, but those skills take investment in one’s self.

Oh well, Republicans killed free Junior College.

4 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

Why should junior college be free?

Why not all education?

Why am I paying the price of a three bedroom house to educate my child?

Why are my tax dollars given to Israel when we could use it for healthcare here?

Why am I spending too much time posting here?

Why, why, why?

• Like 1
Just now, Sea warrior said:

Why should junior college be free?

Why not all education?

Why am I paying the price of a three bedroom house to educate my child?

Why are my tax dollars given to Israel when we could use it for healthcare here?

Why, why, why?

I agree with you, unfortunately there is an unspoken rule in Congress about baby steps, it has slowed progress for a very long time.

1 hour ago, badlatitude said:

What skills do you need for a minimum wage job? Those are the majority of people not going back to work. Goes to show the only job you've ever had is looting Nordstrom's.

Yeauuupppp - got to love California's Proposition 47...  commit the crime, you sure as shit not doing any time

1 hour ago, badlatitude said:

Still free if you're willing to get off your ass and explore the ways to get grants, and other financial education assistance programs. 

Niece just did Santa Barbara City College didn't cost her a dime as she worked the system to get the free education money... she is now an RN, and is transferring to UCSF to work on her BSN.

5 minutes ago, Ventucky Red said:

Still free if you're willing to get off your ass and explore the ways to get grants, and other financial education assistance programs. 

Niece just did Santa Barbara City College didn't cost her a dime as she worked the system to get the free education money... she is now an RN, and is transferring to UCSF to work on her BSN.

That's nice, too bad it doesn't work everywhere.

34 minutes ago, Ventucky Red said:

Hate to break it to you but UCSF doesn't offer a BSN degree. They don't offer any undergraduate degrees. You can read more about that here:

https://www.ucsf.edu/education/admissions

https://nursing.ucsf.edu/academics/programs

She will have to get a bachelors elsewhere but UCSF is the shit for nursing and everything else they offer, although it is a tough school to get into.

I lived on Carl Street and had roommates who were UCSF students. I had one roommate who was a psychiatric resident at UCSF/SF General. I even played in their poker game. Imagine playing poker with a bunch of psychiatrists. Imagine not bluffing much.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, chum said:

A sign I saw: "EVERY BUSINESS ON THIS BLOCK IS HIRING, STIMULATE YOUR ASS BACK TO WORK!"

You ask questions but don’t care about answers.  That’s because your a republicunt who only goal is to waste peoples time.

SAD!

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

You ask questions but don’t care about answers.  That’s because your a republicunt who only goal is to waste peoples time.

SAD!

What’s sad is your inability to distinguish between “your and you’re” and your obvious inability to understand the possessive case.

You're an idiot. 

lol

39 minutes ago, Not for nothing said:

wanted to keep the math simple so there wouldn't be any decimals or fractions

Totally understandable given the fact that the overwhelming number of participants in this thread are lefties.

We wouldn’t want to confuse them.

lol

25 minutes ago, Olsonist said:

Hate to break it to you but UCSF doesn't offer a BSN degree. They don't offer any undergraduate degrees. You can read more about that here:

https://www.ucsf.edu/education/admissions

https://nursing.ucsf.edu/academics/programs

She will have to get a bachelors elsewhere but UCSF is the shit for nursing and everything else they offer, although it is a tough school to get into.

I lived on Carl Street and had roommates who were UCSF students. I had one roommate who was a psychiatric resident at UCSF/SF General. I even played in their poker game. Imagine playing poker with a bunch of psychiatrists. Imagine not bluffing much.

I meant the University of San Francisco...  thanks for the correction.

20 minutes ago, chum said:

Still waiting for FN or El B to tell me what “answers”” I don’t care about, whatever that means.

Did you make a boo-boo with your socks? Wasn’t me. However a thoughtful post from you in any thread would be as refreshing as it would be surprising. 

1 minute ago, chum said:

Waste your time lol! From what I can see your whole life is a waste, certainly the large majority of your self possessed posts here are.

btw, once again, it’s you’re, not your,  lol 

Remind me again of the last grade you completed in skool?

18th plus some extra certifications.

7 hours ago, chum said:
8 hours ago, chum said:

Anyone?

Because the compensation is inadequate?

That situation is purely the consequence of 30 years of employers racing to the bottom.

Like boat prices, jobs have to pay what someone is willing to work for.

1 hour ago, chum said:
1 hour ago, Fakenews said:

18th plus some extra certifications.

LOL! Complete waste of time, obviously.

It's hard to impress the smartest guy in the room.

It would be but they didn't - it's been building for decades and the years of Covid shutdowns just gelled it for a lot of people. Loyalty to employers disappeared in the 90's - about a decade after loyalty to staff disappeared.

Many people woke up to how little they need rather than how much they should buy.

Of course I'm sure you think that it was all those commie lefty bailouts that caused it.

It’s just a cornucopia of good news on the pandemic and the economy under Biden.  Jobs, GDP, consumer demand etc.  I looked up the deficit and wouldn’t you know,, It’s down $350B from last years deficit under the Trump regime.

Tip of the hat to Joe!

Just now, chum said:

Well shucks, thanks Sloop, but I hardly think I’m the smartest guy here. I actually had to stipulate to another posters superior intellect the other day who openly challenged me to an IQ test because he apparently was feeling the need to reassure himself and others.  What is it about me that causes some smart people here to think like that?

I wouldn't know - I base my estimates on the content of their posts.

17 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

It would be but they didn't - it's been building for decades and the years of Covid shutdowns just gelled it for a lot of people. Loyalty to employers disappeared in the 90's - about a decade after loyalty to staff disappeared.

Many people woke up to how little they need rather than how much they should buy.

Of course I'm sure you think that it was all those commie lefty bailouts that caused it.

One interesting factoid that came out last year was that at the beginning of the pandemic, people were buying just what they needed, instead of what they wanted. If they continued that trend, the economy would crater. Living within your means is not good for corporations, apparently.

4 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

One interesting factoid that came out last year was that at the beginning of the pandemic, people were buying just what they needed, instead of what they wanted. If they continued that trend, the economy would crater. Living within your means is not good for corporations, apparently.

The Best Americans Need their interest and late fees. 

Just now, chum said:

Interesting. I remember not long ago when it was actually necessary to compete for the same jobs and compensation that go unfilled these days. 

As far as discovering how little they need, I don’t even know what to say. We used to call it aspiring to do better, as I remember. You climbing the ladder, so to speak.

Bewildering. I remember not long ago when one could be a reliable employee at a basic job and afford to proudly raise a family in a house with a car out front. What one might have called the American Dream. Say a clerk in a hardware store, a barber, or a generic office worker. Perhaps the working class can snatch that simple humanity back from the upper classes that outmaneuvered them. Would be a great help if the regressive bougie oligarchy (and the dimwitted rubes here that fall for their ruse) would get out of the way.

Looking down your nose while instructing the masses to "do better", to "climb the ladder", is laughable propaganda designed to protect the current status quo.

Will be interesting times indeed if the downtrodden start demanding their fair share, unionize and start to vote for their personal interests. Hope I live to see that day.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, El Borracho said:

Bewildering. I remember not long ago when one could be a reliable employee at a basic job and afford to proudly raise a family in a house with a car out front. What one might have called the American Dream. Say a clerk in a hardware store, a barber, or a generic office worker. Perhaps the working class can snatch that simple humanity back from the upper classes that outmaneuvered them. Would be a great help if the regressive bougie oligarchy (and the dimwitted rubes here that fall for their ruse) would get out of the way.

Looking down your nose while instructing the masses to "do better", to "climb the ladder", is laughable propaganda designed to protect the current status quo.

Will be interesting times indeed if the downtrodden start demanding their fair share, unionize and start to vote for their personal interests. Hope I live to see that day.

People need to pick themselves up by their bootstraps and inherit better. Slackers. The Best Americans need more and the masses can get by with less so that our true entitlement class can have it. 

3 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

People need to pick themselves up by their bootstraps and inherit better. Slackers. The Best Americans need more and the masses can get by with less so that our true entitlement class can have it. 

Can the downtrodden even procure bootstraps anymore? I'm going to look into this......Seems they are indeed available on Amazon, so Bezos is apparently bending over backward to help the peons.