1991 Catana 48r

This looks like a pretty bad-ass platform, maybe a dream boat for me tho I'm not really in a position to move a boat like this through the canal and up the coast, or undertake what would surely be a pretty extensive refit, new sails, rigging, etc.  I keep coming back to it though.  Looks like only two were built.  The wife likes all the cabins.  I like the daggerboards.  Might be able to claw up and down the Pac Coast in some modicum of comfort.  Really just tire kicking but curious what the SA brain trust thinks of this vessel...

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1991-catana-48-7829763/

That's a nice boat and very nice price. Those years Catana was still Lock Crowther designs so they were "light + moderately large rigs" instead of "huge fucking amounts of weight + freeboard with massive rigs and slower". The newer standing rigging is a bonus.

Sails do have some miles on them. At least one Atlantic crossing. 

I think they took an existing design (44/46?) and just stretched it or added stern extensions. The key is the beam which is a little low for a typical LC design of that length. But that's all good. You get the accommodation of a 44 in a 48' hull which is a recipe for good speed.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, socalrider said:

This looks like a pretty bad-ass platform, maybe a dream boat for me tho I'm not really in a position to move a boat like this through the canal and up the coast, or undertake what would surely be a pretty extensive refit, new sails, rigging, etc.  I keep coming back to it though.  Looks like only two were built.  The wife likes all the cabins.  I like the daggerboards.  Might be able to claw up and down the Pac Coast in some modicum of comfort.  Really just tire kicking but curious what the SA brain trust thinks of this vessel...

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1991-catana-48-7829763/

Yeah, there are many good design ideas in this boat.  Radically asymmetrical hulls, big windows, clever use of interior space.  Galley is on aft wall of bridge deck "house" (port side), adjacent to port hull access.  Folding dining table (facing aft) and social area is immediately forward of the galley.  There is a nav station on starboard side, adjacent to cockpit access, with a folding seat that blocks access to the starboard hull.

7829763_20210322203630780_1_XLARGE.thumb.jpg.7b95cc2b1a8dc8f710b00f0a45dca7a6.jpg

7829763_20210322203624711_1_XLARGE.thumb.jpg.226a311b94f31ddcf7487caa6f7c76c7.jpg

7829763_20210322203639745_1_XLARGE.thumb.jpg.15c10928e99baed3e0b2a0d2998b71bc.jpg

7829763_20210322204729096_1_XLARGE.jpg.c36090b6615c9158f39d8350d076a53c.jpg

7829763_20210322204427801_1024.thumb.jpg.4af96b4afdc09c9df0299d67fc2cf2da.jpg

7829763_20210322204444993_1024.thumb.jpg.79d73819a252e74b157b4ec647db31f6.jpg

7829763_20210322204437844_1024.thumb.jpg.1874770082bc2ae6e5ab18f98cfae5c8.jpg

Those very streamlined forward windows are a bit of a greenhouse issue (2nd last picture).

On my cat I tilted the front panel back 20 degrees with a big radius where it joined the roof panel. Good compromise on aero drag versus baking your brains out.

A bit of a pain to get past the cook to the port hull.

• Like 1

Lots to like.  My nit picks are the "shake and bake" athwart helms and the round corners in the seating.  Not necessarily deal breakers for me.  Some like those helms for various reasons.  Being a Salish Sea sailor I like being out of the weather; rain, mist, cold wind or hot sunshine and in a comfy, reversing, double, bench seat under a bimini.  I've mostly sailed bulkhead helm cats and I like them for that and the reasonably good visibility.  Up here with big logs and marine traffic its important to stand a pretty continuous watch.  Drop the windshield if you want wind in the hair.  Ideally I'd try real hard to rejigger the emergency tillers so I could use them to SAIL the boat from the high or low side.  

The round corner seating (a French thing I think) makes it near impossible (IMHO) to put your feet up, lean back and chill out/read/watch TV, comfortably.  The cat I was jonsing about some time back, I'd have cut out those rounds and squared em up.  Not sure its as easy or possible on this model. 

Yes. Bob Perry taught us this. Sofas with angled/curved corners suck. Great if you sit up with perfect posture. Shitty for lounging.

You're supposed to continuously watch?  Oops.  I think you turn on the autopilot and sit at the front of the cockpit on the shady side and poke your head out on a regular basis. If it is cold or rainy you watch from  inside.

Well, that comment was in regards to crossing an ocean.  As you say, you don't need to sit at one of those outside helms.  So, to some blue water sailors its not a big deal.  I do think it is fun sometimes to sit there and sail for while, thus my thought about an emergency tiller mod.   

Its surprising how fast container ships zip up and down Puget Sound, and the straits.  I suppose they go upwards of 25 knots and close pretty quick. 

Its no secret; logs, you can't seem em well when the wind is up.  Bobbing deadheads are impossible to see until they decide to surface, sometimes like a submarine missile.  Lots of stories about them shooting up out of nowhere.  I might be jaded having grown up cruising around here, where in the 1950's and 60's, there were an order of magnitude more "leaky" log booms and debris in the water.  Even these days I certainly have come across obstacles where, if I was down below or in the bridgedeck house, I'd be hard pressed to run out to the helm to change course.  I suppose a remote AP control is the answer but being a small boat owner I didn't think of that.  I do use my tiller pilot around here but, except for a quick grab of a snack or something, I'm always on deck looking around; on watch.  To each is own. 

Wife says time to peel the potatoes.   Happy Thanksgiving, (USAians)

7 hours ago, Max Rockatansky said:

I believe the boat is sold.

Oh…  I’m not surprised but it had been on the market for quite a while. maybe dodged a bullet… few more years and maybe I’ll be ready for something like that. 

Thanks for all the comments all & happy thanksgiving!

• Like 1