1 hour ago, warbird said:

Need a T shirt...

"Kid, what did you get?" I said, "I didn't get nothing, I had to pay $50 and pick up the garbage." He said, "What were you arrested for, kid?" and I said, "Littering." And they all moved away from me on the bench there, and the hairy eyeball and all kinds of mean nasty things, till I said, "And creating a nuisance." And they all came back, shook my hand, and we had a great time on the bench"

• Like 2

Next morning, when we got a phone call from officer Obie. He said, "Kid,
We found your name on an envelope at the bottom of a half a ton of
Garbage, and just wanted to know if you had any information about it." And
I said, "Yes, sir, Officer Obie, I cannot tell a lie, I put that envelope
Under that garbage."

• Like 3

At the mouth of the Kennebec River is a small village of tourist cottages named Popham. It's as pretty a place as you're likely to find anywhere in Maine what with the offshore islands, sandy beaches and moody seascapes. The beach here is littered with all kinds of flotsam coming down the river and stranded by the tides, most of which is tree trunks.

Every spring, like an scheduled event, tourists arrive and commence to build shacks, structures, fairy houses, cad pads and teepees. Most eventually become bonfires or are just left to fall or drift away with another king tide.

Also each spring, every year, someone finds a tree trunk, cuts it into 2 matching lengths, buries those 2 pieces deep in the sand and a piece of 2X10" driftwood is secured across them, inscribed upon which in chiseled relief is

"Group W Bench"

It's the perfect place to stop and watch the river run after a long dog walk.

I wonder how many folks sit there and don't get the significance?

Sadly, no pic of the bench, but here's the neighborhood...

00-s1RU9z0YAKuOn_Dn1CghLIVEgD7x87jwL56ub

You know summer is officially over when the bench disappears each fall.

• Like 2
On 11/25/2021 at 7:25 PM, Point Break said:

Y’all realize….this is the group W bench…..just saying. :P

whenever I reference Sailing Anarchy in polite company, I get these quizzical looks .... all I need  say is it's the Group W bench of the sailing world and they get it completely 

• Like 6
45 minutes ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

whenever I reference Sailing Anarchy in polite company, I get these quizzical looks .... all I need  say is it's the Group W bench of the sailing world and they get it completely 

I have forgotten what the W stood for???  Wise Guys?

Thanks for that PB!

EDIT,,,  Had I been just a couple of years older, you probably would have found on that bench, or living in Canada; definitely thought that Vietnam was truly against my Morals...

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Point Break said:

The W stood for the waiver from military service during the Vietnam era draft on moral grounds. “Moral Waiver”. 

"And I, I walked over to the, to the bench there, and there is, Group W's
Where they put you if you may not be moral enough to join the army after
Committing your special crime, and there was all kinds of mean nasty ..."

""I went over to the sergeant, said, "Sargeant, you got a lot a damn gall to
Ask me if I've rehabilitated myself, I mean, I mean, I mean that just, I'm
Sittin' here on the bench, I mean I'm sittin here on the Group W bench
'Cause you want to know if I'm moral enough join the army, burn women,
Kids, houses and villages after bein' a litterbug."

For 30 years radio station WBCN in Boston would play that cut in its entirely commercial free starting at noon on Thanksgiving Day with ads running for days beforehand.

https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2021/11/19/wbcn-american-revolution-boston

Must listening for the college kids in the area who thought that station was the end all...

And immortalizing Arlo to all us teenagers in central and western Massachusetts.  Most of us who never knew who his dad was until much later in life.

Locals....err townies can recite the lines off that album at the drop of a hat like golfers orate Caddy Shack dialogue or hockey players doing Slapshot lines.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Foreverslow said:

Locals....err townies can recite the lines off that album at the drop of a hat like golfers orate Caddy Shack dialogue or hockey players doing Slapshot lines.

Funny how so many of those movies become iconic!! The guys at my Battalion HQ station had an obsession with "Blazing Saddles". For quite some time they would watch it at least once month as a group - all 13 of them - would popcorn up after dinner, settle and watch it all the while reciting the lines as the movie went along (with a few ad libs here and there). It was hilarious.....

2 hours ago, Point Break said:

Funny how so many of those movies become iconic!! The guys at my Battalion HQ station had an obsession with "Blazing Saddles". For quite some time they would watch it at least once month as a group - all 13 of them - would popcorn up after dinner, settle and watch it all the while reciting the lines as the movie went along (with a few ad libs here and there). It was hilarious.....

I second P.B.Johnson's motion.

17 hours ago, ropetrick said:

The good stuff bears repeating.

Caddyshack

Animal House

Dr Strangelove

49 minutes ago, 167149 said:

That's just like your opinion man (quote  "The dude")

Actually, his real name was Raymond O’Keefe, had to change it ‘cause that name was taken in the SAG membership roles. More useless trivia. 

2 minutes ago, Sean said:

Actually, his real name was Raymond O’Keefe, had to change it ‘cause that name was taken in the SAG membership roles. More useless trivia. 

and here i was so convinced he was the other Jeffery Lebowski

28 minutes ago, Sean said:
1 hour ago, 167149 said:

That's just like your opinion man (quote  "The dude")

Pearsonalley, I thick 'Bukkake O'Keefe' woude of garnerded moire attenttione............               :)

3 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Pearsonalley, I thick 'Bukkake O'Keefe' woude of garnerded moire attenttione............               :)

Especially if you want people to beat their way to go see your movie....

2 minutes ago, Go Left said:
8 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Especially if you want people to beat their way to go see your movie....

In the moovie houses, manney pretende they our JWB, thast what Pee Wee wase donig.......                :)