Revolution 24: kinda weird

Yachting World has a new video up about the Revolution 24, and it's kind of weird, but in charming ways, I think.  Who doesn't want a big aluminum bathtub to cruise around in?  And I think the price is right, for this sort of market.

Very interesting boat but not that big of a revolution only new thing is the scow hull and the more space that results by that.

Kinda reminds me of the idea that the Bente 24 and Seascape 24 had, just with less racing in mind and more cruising. Still would like to see these 3 boats compete each other.

Bootsbau: Bente ist zurück
Bente 24

Can someone tell me whats up with the 24ft boat size?

Bente 24, Melges 24, Seascape 24, Revolution 24, heared a lot about 24ft boats lately.

Neat boat. but for cruising, why stuff 27-28ft boat amenities in the 24 ft length when youre not concerned with a box rule? Wouldn't it be better (faster upwind, more versatile in sea conditions, and possibly even straight up cheaper, at least for a more production boat like a bene first 27) to just get a 27-28 ft boat? Save the extra 3 ft of slip fees at the marina, I guess?

Put another way, a scow-ish hull's advantages reaching and off wind are relative to a fixed LOA, right? How much longer does a boat with a sharper bow have to get before it's the same speed reaching and off wind as the shorter scow, while doing better upwind in a chop?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, EbbAndFlow said:

Very interesting boat but not that big of a revolution only new thing is the scow hull and the more space that results by that.

Kinda reminds me of the idea that the Bente 24 and Seascape 24 had, just with less racing in mind and more cruising. Still would like to see these 3 boats compete each other.

Bootsbau: Bente ist zurück
Bente 24

Can someone tell me whats up with the 24ft boat size?

Bente 24, Melges 24, Seascape 24, Revolution 24, heared a lot about 24ft boats lately.

trailering limits?  longer boats are wider and heavier to pull, though this isn't quite lightweight..  smaller boats, smaller loads, less expensive parts..  

Damn, almost 10 feet wide. I'm a big fan of boats in the 24 foot range as this is usually about as big as you can make em while still keeping the beam under 8 feet for trailering (Hobie 33 notwithstanding). What's the point of limiting the length to only 24 feet if you're still going to make the beam too wide to practically trailer?

2.2 tons is heavy for a sailboat this size but lots of 24 foot powerboats are about this weight with fuel and a motor. It's about as big as you'd want to tow with a regular fullsize half-ton pickup truck, going off listed truck specs and what I see guys at the boat ramp doing.

A very odd duck of a boat. Too wide to trailer, too heavy to plane, and with the same hullspeed of any other displacement-only 24 footer. What do you think it's like upwind in a chop?

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, robtoujours said:

It’s 2.2t, with 2.9m beam, seems a bit heavy and wide for a trailer. 

loads of room for a 24 footer inside. 

Offset companionway makes it totally unseaworthy though !

That makes it substantially heavier than my very beamy 31 footer. I fail to see any trailer advantage. It’s just a silly boat trying capitalize on the latest mini trend. 

52 minutes ago, Santanasailor said:

I’m gonna get in a lot of trouble here but

This is a scow

FB7DBE3C-1C7F-4432-A760-EA4FCA5F582A.jpeg

This is a floating bathtub that by some miracle can actually move forward through water under sail power

F5FA348B-D5B8-4C80-93D5-7F63C555D220.jpeg

There is only one real scow. And thats the A Scow. Would be a pleasure to Ride one once.

https://melges.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/2021-ANationals-MadCap-EMK-13.jpg

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Monkey said:

That makes it substantially heavier than my very beamy 31 footer. I fail to see any trailer advantage. It’s just a silly boat trying capitalize on the latest mini trend. 

I'll bet that your boat doesn't have aluminium construction with spray on cork insulation...

I love and hate (at the same time) how the french builders ignore any conventional styling in these modern boats.

Some details (aft end of cabin for example) look like they made them ugly by choice.

But in the end i love their courage. And their humour.

Holger

6 hours ago, catahoula said:

Neat boat. but for cruising, why stuff 27-28ft boat amenities in the 24 ft length when youre not concerned with a box rule? Wouldn't it be better (faster upwind, more versatile in sea conditions, and possibly even straight up cheaper, at least for a more production boat like a bene first 27) to just get a 27-28 ft boat? Save the extra 3 ft of slip fees at the marina, I guess?

Put another way, a scow-ish hull's advantages reaching and off wind are relative to a fixed LOA, right? How much longer does a boat with a sharper bow have to get before it's the same speed reaching and off wind as the shorter scow, while doing better upwind in a chop?

Apparently the scow bow makes the boat drier and easier to sail...

• Like 1

Well, if you wanted to go around alone in a real small boat you could do worse I suppose. Back edge of that coach roof don't look teeth friendly though. :huh:

Way too heavy for around here.

But one thing this boat isn’t going to do is attract hot females. 

Might attract one with a TIG welder. Or a ball peen hammer!

• Like 1
16 hours ago, EbbAndFlow said:

The thing that is the strangest to me is that the boat goes for 75k. Get yourself a good used boat for that money. You can get alot for this money even a 60ft racer (without a scow bow)

You can make this argument with almost every new boat. Fortunately there are people who buy the used boats of tomorrow.

I am a fan of many boats from the 80s but I can understand people who want to buy a new boat.

Holger

20 hours ago, robtoujours said:

On 11/26/2021 at 12:39 PM, robtoujours said:

not with your rinky dink cars,  my 2002 pickup truck can tow  7500 libs not including the trailer..