In-sticking a Weems and Plath yacht lamp

37 minutes ago, Borax Johnson said:

I’ve got one of these:

image.thumb.jpeg.3662b406d537501ef854bef43f75b943.jpeg

and I’ve been squirting that base with PB blaster on and off since June trying to unscrew the base with no joy. Any ideas?

Clockwise or counterclockwise 

you never know 

heat cold , expansion contraction is worth a try 

to get a grip , torque , you might glue the base to a scrap of ply 

According to the manual:

The Yacht Lamp is constructed of solid cast machined brass. It consists of two main parts: the upper bonnet and the lower
oil reservoir which can be detached from the bonnet by turning counter-clockwise.

http://www.weems-plath.com/core/media/media.nl/id.279564/c.449809/.f?h=drTkAEejLyeBJXdVYLyKaY1Nmu5pxweTGXJMEB_P8d3glieN

You may have been tightening it since June.

Are you looking at it from the top or bottom? If it is upside down and you are looking at the base, then turning counterclockwise is the "lefty-loosy" direction.

But if you are holding it upright then you may have tightening accidentally.

On 11/26/2021 at 4:31 PM, Zonker said:

Are you looking at it from the top or bottom? If it is upside down and you are looking at the base, then turning counterclockwise is the "lefty-loosy" direction.

But if you are holding it upright then you may have tightening accidentally.

On 11/26/2021 at 4:52 PM, SloopJonB said:

Holding an oil lamp upside down while removing the base reservoir can be extremely messy. :D

Life's conundrums.

I have two little W&P Yacht lamps with no oil in them. I'll see what works. Mat be several days though.

Care Of Lamp:
To maintain a bright finish, we recommend our Sure Shine polish (#633) for an easy and lasting shine. To clean the lamp, unscrew
the resevoir from the bottom of the lamp:
1. Insert the tips of scissors or a pair of needle-nose pliers into both notches of the glass assembly holding ring at the base of
the bonnet.
2. With pliers rotate the ring counter-clockwise until removed.
3. Remove the glass and windscreen assembly.
4. Use a degreasing product, like dishwashing liquid mixed in warm water, to wash and clean all components of the lamp.
5. Reassemble by reversing this procedure.

you may be able to get inside access to dribble in some penetrating agent via the top

dont break the glass ..  that should be the first thing to remove when having to use more than finger force on these sorts of things

and reading that again .. maybe not .. you need bottom access to the retaining ring

I've had one on my boat for 40 years.  When (if?) you do get it off only hand tighten it back on.  Not as tight as you can,  more like screwing on a mayonnaise jar lid.  And *don't* polish it; over the decades it develops a nice patina.  A simple cleaning with mild soap and water will remove the dirt and fingerprints without removing tarnish or patinas that have formed over time.

1 hour ago, axolotl said:

I've had one on my boat for 40 years.  When (if?) you do get it off only hand tighten it back on.  Not as tight as you can,  more like screwing on a mayonnaise jar lid.  And *don't* polish it; over the decades it develops a nice patina.  A simple cleaning with mild soap and water will remove the dirt and fingerprints without removing tarnish or patinas that have formed over time.

I prefer shine to "patina"

7q Compass before.jpg

7r Compass after.jpg

• Like 3