Laser Trailer Mod: ideas pls

Hi all, have done a search but couldn't see anything specific enough. Feel free to link me to a thread if I've missed it. 

I've just bought the pictured trailer for my laser. I was thinking I might use it as a light duty trailer from time to time and so leave it open, but now I'm thinking lid. Weight won't be an issue, trailer is light. Anyone have something similar? My questions:

> lift off lid? Or hinged with lifters? 

> If hinged, half half or whole length? (small portion at front will be fixed with dolly attachment on top).

> Gal frame with gal sheeting is my plan unless there's something else I should consider...

TIA for any help, much appreciated. 

IMG_2561.jpeg

Can't seem to embed a link, but go to Dinghy Anarchy, page 2 and there's a thread "Laser Trailer Question" from July this year.  I posted about my solution - if you have any queries, feel free to PM me.

R

2 hours ago, Recidivist said:

Can't seem to embed a link, but go to Dinghy Anarchy, page 2 and there's a thread "Laser Trailer Question" from July this year.  I posted about my solution - if you have any queries, feel free to PM me.

R

Thanks mate, will have a look. 

Edit: looks good. How did you go getting boat off single handed? I guess I often have someone around to help, but often enough not as well... 

A couple of suggestions:

- post this in dinghy anarchy

- if the hull fits in the existing sides of the trailer: take it off the dolly and build proper support for the gunwales

- a laser hull is pretty light, so as long as you have proper padding on the trailer you can slide it on and off by yourself. 

- as an alternative (especially if the hull does not fit in the exiting configuration, you can widen the trailer in the rear.

Then a question:

what is the purpose of the lid? 

If you can make this work, it will be a nice trailer and I have heard that the an aerodynamic design like that will save gas too.

Good luck!

11 hours ago, GaryE said:

Hi all, have done a search but couldn't see anything specific enough. Feel free to link me to a thread if I've missed it. 

I've just bought the pictured trailer for my laser. I was thinking I might use it as a light duty trailer from time to time and so leave it open, but now I'm thinking lid. Weight won't be an issue, trailer is light. Anyone have something similar? My questions:

> If hinged, half half or whole length? (small portion at front will be fixed with dolly attachment on top).

> Gal frame with gal sheeting is my plan unless there's something else I should consider...

IMG_2561.jpeg

just get an outboard and sum Bass Seats for the trailer

done

IMG_2561.jpeg

REAL Suggestion

Drop yer stuff in trailer box

Secure boat up-side-down on top of trailer box with removable cross-members

Simple, then it has a lid and Room for Beer, Pop-Up Can-O-Pee, Firewood, Rigging, Etc

yer welcome !!

How did you go getting boat off single handed?

Hmmm, that was never an issue.  The trailer was to transport my son's boat to regattas around the country, often with my boat or a friend's boat piggy-backing.  But when we got to the host club, the 2 of us would dismount the boat(s) and they lived on the beach dolly for the duration, then the 2 of us would re-stack them.  There was never a need for singlehanded loading and unloading, and we never tried.