J22 mainsail - slugs vs. bolt rope

I just pulled Doyle main and jib out of the bags from a new to me J22. Lots of "fun" unearthing what the previous owner had done to the boat with respect to gear and setup. 

When I unrolled the main, I was surprised to see slugs in grommets all the way up the luff. There is still a bolt rope too. At first I thought about getting the knife out and cutting the slugs off and having some grommets in my luff but now I think I'll leave the slugs to make hoisting the sail easier. It's not a regatta boat...yet, though I do have 100% new Harken equipment for the entire deck, but more like a season long club racer here in the mountains of Utah.  Am I crazy to go with the slugs?

3 hours ago, WCB said:

I just pulled Doyle main and jib out of the bags from a new to me J22. Lots of "fun" unearthing what the previous owner had done to the boat with respect to gear and setup. 

When I unrolled the main, I was surprised to see slugs in grommets all the way up the luff. There is still a bolt rope too. At first I thought about getting the knife out and cutting the slugs off and having some grommets in my luff but now I think I'll leave the slugs to make hoisting the sail easier. It's not a regatta boat...yet, though I do have 100% new Harken equipment for the entire deck, but more like a season long club racer here in the mountains of Utah.  Am I crazy to go with the slugs?

Nope. If you were all in on one design, it’d seem crazy, but for casual club racing, slugs make the boat infinitely more easy going. At the very least, keep the current slugged main for casual sailing and get a new “regatta” main when the time comes. 

• Like 1