On 12/13/2021 at 10:39 AM, Steam Flyer said:

The more politically active doctors that I know of tend to lean right. Many go way-far right, some deep into RWNJ cuckoo land.

The medical association(s) in my state have been titled rightwards by increasing lobbying efforts. Couple of reasons for this but IMHO it's bad for all concerned, especially patients.

- DSK

If you look who actually plans and executes terrorist attacks, engineering and medical graduates are over represented. 

On 12/11/2021 at 10:45 AM, roundthebuoys said:

The forum title for one.  But these are guys who have no need for the Federal Government every other day of the year.  

A lot of us would like the Feds and States to stop being nannies and quite wasting our money on so many dipshit programs. Just provide for safety and infrastructure.

But if I lived in tornado alley. I would have a cement house (with pretty facade) anchored by a basement that was bigger than the house. this is basic tech that goes way way back

1 hour ago, Meat Wad said:

A lot of us would like the Feds and States to stop being nannies and quite wasting our money on so many dipshit programs.

You're right.  Like the military, aid to Israel and other unnecessary welfare countries, regressive tax credits for corporations and the ultra wealthy?  Name one "nanny dipshit program" that doesn't help someone domestically.

12 minutes ago, roundthebuoys said:

You're right.  Like the military, aid to Israel and other unnecessary welfare countries, regressive tax credits for corporations and the ultra wealthy?  Name one "nanny dipshit program" that doesn't help someone domestically.

They are all "nanny dipshit programs" until someone gets sick, there's a storm, an airplane crashes, crops go bad, a corporation steals too much, a bridge fails, veterans can't get help, babies eat lead paint, drugs have side effects...shit, yeah.  dipshit stuff.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Meat Wad said:

A lot of us would like the Feds and States to stop being nannies and quite wasting our money on so many dipshit programs. Just provide for safety and infrastructure.

But if I lived in tornado alley. I would have a cement house (with pretty facade) anchored by a basement that was bigger than the house. this is basic tech that goes way way back

But where is "tornado alley" anymore?  Wasn't it in Oklahoma and Kansas?  What's it doing in Kentucky and Tennessee?  

1 hour ago, Go Left said:

They are all "nanny dipshit programs" until someone gets sick, there's a storm, an airplane crashes, crops go bad, a corporation steals too much, a bridge fails, veterans can't get help, babies eat lead paint, drugs have side effects...shit, yeah.  dipshit stuff.

10 hours ago, Go Left said:

But where is "tornado alley" anymore?  Wasn't it in Oklahoma and Kansas?  What's it doing in Kentucky and Tennessee?  

We decided to share.

More seriously, I've noticed over the years a shifting of our weather patterns north and east of us. About 20 years ago we started getting east winds more regularly then about 10 a lot of our storms moved north to Kansas then east.  The last couple of seasons we saw winds out of a new direction so I'm expecting more change.  The largest problem with the changes is that areas that have not needed the weather awareness of Oklahoma are now getting our instability.  The Kentucky candle factory is a prime example. 

But climate change is a myth.

21 hours ago, Go Left said:

In December...

21 hours ago, Go Left said:

As that great Jewish comedian Myron Cohen once said: “Everybody has got to be someplace.”

3 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Maybe we should stop selling modular and mobile homes or price in total replacement costs in insurance.

Stick-built, masonry, steel framed, modular, manufactured,... they all blew apart.  Just about everything except concrete bunkers.  

1 hour ago, jerseyguy said:

As that great Jewish comedian Myron Cohen once said: “Everybody has got to be someplace.”

Except when it turns into "no place".  

6 hours ago, Go Left said:

Stick-built, masonry, steel framed, modular, manufactured,... they all blew apart.  Just about everything except concrete bunkers. 

I'd have something like this if I lived in a tornado prone area.

Sunken house.jpg

9 hours ago, Go Left said:
13 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Maybe we should stop selling modular and mobile homes or price in total replacement costs in insurance.

Not all. Look carefully at photos of Windmill Village after Charlie. We lost hundreds of homes. I think 3 or 4 survived. Every one of them built by Palm Harbor. They're not all the same.

I sold a sailboat for an owner there shortly after the storm. She was really happy her home had survived and I was exploring the idea of buying one. My building permit was approved two days before the hurricane, but then all new building approvals stopped. The only way to build a home on my property was to install a modular. That lady really saved me by pointing out the one thing wrong. The windows were all very similar to those on old school buses. She said that if she had it to do over again, she would have bought the upgraded windows. We did and they're very nice.

We took a factory tour before buying. They had pics from after hurricane Andrew, showing scenes similar to Windmill Village. Really great promo shots because the hurricane peeled the siding. The sheathing underneath stayed, and said PALM HARBOR HOMES in YUGE letters. Great stuff when you're the only thing left standing.

Meanwhile, my 1931-built cracker shack was one of only a couple of buildings in this county that had no water inside and essentially no exterior damage after Charlie.

11 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I'd have something like this if I lived in a tornado prone area.

Sunken house.jpg

At least they owners don't have to be worried about being hit by a tree.

But they should be sure to open some windows on the lee side or that aluminum tube storefront system may decide to go walkabout.