Jump to content

Michael Masi.....the worst PRO of all time?


Recommended Posts

He might be looking for a new job.  Dont let him come near the sport of sailing as a Principal Race Officer or Race Committee chair.

I know, I know, its a sailing site. But damn it, there is no equivalent to SA in the motor racing world and I just have to vent somewhere.

I beg forgiveness from @Editor

Verstappen is a prodigious talent. But his first world championship will forever be tainted .

As a long time fan of F1 and auto racing, going into the grand finale at Abu Dhabi, I could not lose. I was either going to witness the best of a new generation of racers win his first world championship or I was going to watch as a GOAT secured a record setting 8th world championship. How could I possible be disappointed. It was going to be a thrilling duel . I was rooting for Verstappen but with the utmost respect and admiration for Hamilton. Mr. Eye was routing for Hamilton, but in awe of the verve of Verstappen. It should have been an amazing Sunday. We invited friends over, served Brunch and had chilled champagne ready to serve for the finish.

I got my thrilling duel for 48 laps, but got neither of my outcomes . Verstappen did not win his first world championship, Lewis did not set a record and the champagne remained unopened.

Instead Michael Masi polluted the outcome and the history books by arbitrarily selecting a winner . "Its motor racing" he said! It was until he artificially created a situation where with one lap to go he had allowed Max to change to a fresh set of soft tires , leaving Lewis stranded on a set of old hard tires, closed the pre-existing gap between Lewis and Max of 13 seconds down to 0,4 second, cleared out 5 cars between them , and then said "go race for one lap". No driver in the world stood a chance in the position that Masi set up for Hamilton. It was over before the last lap started. Yet nether Hamilton nor Team Mercedes had put a foot wrong. Their strategy was based upon the rules.

The Race Director (and I hope Masi never gets that job again) had 3 options, all of which would have complied with the rules:

Option #1 : Red Flag the race when it was clear that there was not time to clear Latifi's car and restart the race under a safety car. Then the race would restart from the grid, with everyone on equal tires with 3 laps to go.....or a rolling restart on equal tires. = Thrilling finish with the world champion decided in 3 last laps of heroic racing.  Hamilton has his lead pared down to the gap on the grid. Great Opportunity for Verstappen. But a level playing field. Kudos to the winner.

Option # 2. Restart from safety car for one last lap without letting any lapped cars unlap = Hamilton was previously winning the race , but Verstappen is handed a long shot last chance because the gap had been reduced to less than 2 seconds. Verstappen had a 3 second speed advantage with the new tires but 5 cars to pass .

Option # 3 Follow standard Safety Car procedure , and allow all lapped cars to unlap = No more racing and Hamilton is World Champion. No last chance for Verstappen, but Hamilton had driven a compelling race up till that point.

Mercedes obviously preferred #3 but they took the correct strategic steps for all 3 options.

Instead Masi threw the rule book and precedent out of the window and used the power of Race Director to create a fourth option which made the whole race a complete mockery of racing.

Dumb and Disappointing. Masi Must GO......MMG.

Can you imagine Peter Craig or Hank Stuart allowing a World Championship to be decided by abandoning and restarting the last race with just one upwind leg to decide it all, but allowing the boat that was second to add crew and change to new heavy air sails while the previously leading boat is stuck with a light air set up?  

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

F1 and other top level racing has been full of that sort of political bullshit ever since they whored themselves to the corporate money tree. Anybody remember Balestre?

It doesn't happen at Bonneville - the last bastion of true amateurism.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

In 2020, there was a safety-car period during the Eifel Grand Prix at the Nurburgring. Both Hamilton and Verstappen complained it had been unnecessarily long.

Masi was asked about this after the race. He said: "There's a requirement in the sporting regulations to wave all the lapped cars past."

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Because the actions of Masi (which were not according to the written rule) picked the race winner. Not the cars/drivers. Yes, one can argue that the director has considerable latitude - but the outcome was set by a decision off the track

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

45 minutes ago, CovBoy said:

In 2020, there was a safety-car period during the Eifel Grand Prix at the Nurburgring. Both Hamilton and Verstappen complained it had been unnecessarily long.

Masi was asked about this after the race. He said: "There's a requirement in the sporting regulations to wave all the lapped cars past."

Jesus Christ......You are right!   

Good spot. Its here

"The delay in ending the Safety Car period happened because of the length of time it took to wave the lapped cars through," said Masi.

There’s a requirement in the sporting regulations to wave all the lapped cars passed. So from that point it was position six onwards that were still running. Between 10, 11 cars had to unlap themselves. And therefore the Safety Car period was a bit longer than what we would have normally expected.”

Do you have a link to the video of the innerview?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t. I just happened to have read that before flipping over here.  I was mad as hell yesterday. That and the safety car straight off. What an ambush. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

That would have been better but I still don’t understand why it was so unfair

Because Max was enabled to change to an all new set of fresh soft tires , which are substantially faster over one lap than 45 lap old hard tires.  The new tires gave Max much better braking and acceleration over one lap. I have seen estimates of the advantage range from 3 seconds a lap to as much as 4.5 seconds.  Then Masi starts them 0.5 seconds apart. Masi either knew he had just swapped the results of the world championship or he does not know enough about auto racing to hold the position of Race Director. Either way, he will not have his job next year. The teams will all publicly say the right things to preserve the franchise but privately they will push for his dismissal.

Hamilton's team based their decision on the rules, which meant they could not change tires.  They would have had to give up track position. Under all scenarios, it was better to keep track position.....except Masi invented a new scenario which obviously Mercedes could not have anticipated, where they would obviously have changed tires.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

That would have been better but I still don’t understand why it was so unfair

It's unfair because the way it unfolded gave a significant advantage to the car that was in second place prior to the safety car.

Like playing rock paper scissors, except unexpectedly making the final round count for the whole game, and making the player in the lead up to that point show their hand 1 second early.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, mathystuff said:

Verstappen was better over the season. Yes, the last race was a bit farcical, but Hamilton did not get less lucky over the course of the season.

Get over it.

369.5 - better over the whole season?  Looked tied to me. MV started strong and then faded. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Editor said:

Shoulda red flagged it, which would have allowed both Max and Lewis to change tires. They then move the lapped cars out the way, and you have a 5 lap shoot out for the whole fucking cake!

Bingo!

If Verstappen had won that, I would have celebrated his victory.

If Hamilton had held on to that lead, I would have admired his hard earned eighth.

My maiden name is Dutch (Pennsylvania) . My husband is English. We both lost on Sunday. 

I vote Editor for Masi's job.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, mathystuff said:

Verstappen was better over the season. Yes, the last race was a bit farcical, but Hamilton did not get less lucky over the course of the season.

 

How so?

The turning point of the season for me was undoubtedly Brazil, where Lewis overtook 24 cars to overcome engineering penalties and win the grand prix . It was the most outstanding drive of the season by any driver. He even had to cope with Max's discovery that Masi allowed off track overtaking.

At the beginning of the season Lewis was beating Max after the first four races, despite having a slower car on the track.

From Monaco to Mexico, the Red Bull had the pace but Lewis stuck close (and even won a couple) to remain in the hunt and never gave up. Then Brazil demonstrated what Hamilton could do with a competitive car and beat Verstappen in Brazil and every subsequent grand prix.   

It was a terrific season with the lead ebbing and flowing between 2 great drivers. Masi had no business interfering with the battle.  Masi is a dwarf among giants and he succumbed to the player who had their radio volume turned up the highest.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, IPLore said:

It was a terrific season with the lead ebbing and flowing between 2 great drivers. Masi had no business interfering with the battle.  Masi is a dwarf among giants and he succumbed to the player who had their radio volume turned up the highest.

What you are neglecting was that stewardship was shit over the whole season and some of the decisions benefited Hamilton.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Matters not.  The politics of Formula one have gotten so bad, the cars and all the silliness which contributes nothing to the racing have caused this to be a long lost series.  

NASCAR, racing in the rain at Austin.  Far more entertaining despite the best efforts of the rules makers to destroy the cars.  

Last Point, do not take anything of what I said about the rules/regulations/progress in making the cars, both F1 and NASCAR, safer.  In my younger days, it wasn’t if a driver might die in a racing incident, it was almost, how many will survive the race.  Proud to see drivers walking away, virtually unharmed from nasty accidents that formerly would have guaranteed a fatality 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, mathystuff said:

What you are neglecting was that stewardship was shit over the whole season and some of the decisions benefited Hamilton.

Okay, I understand your point.  Masi was looking fragile all season , but the last lap of the last reason, I think he plumbed new depths.

Perhaps he was at risk for his job next year, but at Abu Dhabi he turned a risk into a certainty.

I may be wrong but I think Hamilton was awarded more "unlucky" penalty positions than Max over the season.  

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair to Max, I think that Christian Horner has been a terrible "enabler" of some of Max's antics.  Horner has a driver of incredible talent and potential, but instead of management and mentoring Max to acquire those precision skills and judgement that can create a long career at the top , Horner has gone for short term gains.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, IPLore said:

I may be wrong but I think Hamilton was awarded more "unlucky" penalty positions than Max over the season.

Maybe.

Might be a cultural thing. We europeans are very used to refrees being shite and deciding a football game in a single horrible decision. It belongs to the sport and improves the viewing experience for being able to shout insults at the refree.

In the end it comes down to this: if Hamilton had been way better he would have won. He didn't. Verstappen did, so Verstappen was better.

Yes, it's illogical, but it's the only logical way to watch the sport.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

F1 and other top level racing has been full of that sort of political bullshit ever since they whored themselves to the corporate money tree. Anybody remember Balestre?

It doesn't happen at Bonneville - the last bastion of true amateurism.

Agreed, been to Bonneville as a spectator a few times. Every team has a story and a different approach.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Santanasailor said:

Matters not.  The politics of Formula one have gotten so bad, the cars and all the silliness which contributes nothing to the racing have caused this to be a long lost series.  

NASCAR, racing in the rain at Austin.  Far more entertaining despite the best efforts of the rules makers to destroy the cars.  

Last Point, do not take anything of what I said about the rules/regulations/progress in making the cars, both F1 and NASCAR, safer.  In my younger days, it wasn’t if a driver might die in a racing incident, it was almost, how many will survive the race.  Proud to see drivers walking away, virtually unharmed from nasty accidents that formerly would have guaranteed a fatality 

I dont think F1 should be judged on the missteps of one man. Overall I think F1 has got steadily better over the last 5 seasons. I think Liberty Media and Stefano (especially) have done a good job. This was a brilliant season. F1 is better, safer and more interesting than when it was the private empire of  Bernie Ecclestone. But they will not get every decision right the first time. My money is that the promotion of Masi to Race Director was a mistake that will be corrected next year. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, IPLore said:

To be fair to Max, I think that Christian Horner has been a terrible "enabler" of some of Max's antics.  Horner has a driver of incredible talent and potential, but instead of management and mentoring Max to acquire those precision skills and judgement that can create a long career at the top , Horner has gone for short term gains.

Jesus, what a stupid thing to say.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Santanasailor said:

Last Point, do not take anything of what I said about the rules/regulations/progress in making the cars, both F1 and NASCAR, safer.  In my younger days, it wasn’t if a driver might die in a racing incident, it was almost, how many will survive the race.  Proud to see drivers walking away, virtually unharmed from nasty accidents that formerly would have guaranteed a fatality 

+1

We lost many great drivers. RIP to:

Jim Clark

Jochen Rindt

Francios Cevert

Ronnie Peterson

Patrick Depallier

Giles Villeneuve

Elio de Angelis

Ayrton Senna

and many others that I have missed out. It was too dangerous for too long and I'm with Santana thankful of the technology that has made the sport safer but not safe

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Editor said:

Jesus, what a stupid thing to say.

Hi Scott,

Its been a discussion point in F1. Some of Christian's friends have told him as much.  I enjoy Christian, he knows how to set off Toto and he is force in the sport.  We could go off on a whole thread about Red Bull's history with its drivers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mathystuff said:

What you are neglecting was that stewardship was shit over the whole season and some of the decisions benefited Hamilton.

Personally I think Hamilton lost the Championship when he accidentally hit the magic button in Azerbaijan, but there are plenty of points in the season where ting could have gone the other way.

If this had not been the last race of the season it would have been less of an issue. I would have liked Lewis to win, but I think Max deserved the championship. It just would have been nice if the last lap of the last race had not been such a cluster.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Santanasailor said:

Last Point, do not take anything of what I said about the rules/regulations/progress in making the cars, both F1 and NASCAR, safer.  In my younger days, it wasn’t if a driver might die in a racing incident, it was almost, how many will survive the race.  Proud to see drivers walking away, virtually unharmed from nasty accidents that formerly would have guaranteed a fatality 

The last paragraph (seen above) was part of an entire post.  I was quoted out of context though not in a way to be disrespectful, or in a negative way, Still I think I should clarify the last paragraph.  

Last Point, do not take anything of what I said about the rules/regulation/progress in making the cars, both F1 and NASCAR, safer, These rule and regulation changes have gone a Long Way to Save Lives and make the sport much safer for the drivers, crews, course workers and spectators.  This is a Very, Good Thing!  In my younger days, it wasn’t if a driver might die in a racing incident, it was almost……

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Editor said:
2 hours ago, IPLore said:

To be fair to Max, I think that Christian Horner has been a terrible "enabler" of some of Max's antics.  Horner has a driver of incredible talent and potential, but instead of management and mentoring Max to acquire those precision skills and judgement that can create a long career at the top , Horner has gone for short term gains.

Jesus, what a stupid thing to say.

Adgreede, definiteley selleng youre teame shortte...................             :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IPLore said:

Hi Scott,

Its been a discussion point in F1. Some of Christian's friends have told him as much.  I enjoy Christian, he knows how to set off Toto and he is force in the sport.  We could go off on a whole thread about Red Bull's history with its drivers.

You mean like 4-time World Champion Sebastian Vettel? Or Danny Ric, who took the Renault money and ran and hid from Max? In my mind, You either have what it takes it or you don't, and I don't buy the "Christian is why I sucked" lament.

Christian knew exactly what he was doing with Max, and I'd say the results have in part proven that. I know who I'd want to drive for.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IPLore said:

+1

We lost many great drivers. RIP to:

Jim Clark

Jochen Rindt

Francios Cevert

Ronnie Peterson

Patrick Depallier

Giles Villeneuve

Elio de Angelis

Ayrton Senna

and many others that I have missed out. It was too dangerous for too long and I'm with Santana thankful of the technology that has made the sport safer but not safe

 

And when Jackie Stewart led the driver's 'revolt' for safer F1 racing he was vilified by many but that started the move to a safer sport with the 'Halo' just being the latest development. Certainly saved a couple of near beheadings in the past couple of years.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to chime in but it may not be popular here. I've watched every race this season, including all of the F2 races and have been a F1 fans since I was a little kid. My first time in paddock (@Spa in 1989) when a sailing sponsor that also sponsored F1 invited me (it was amazing, Senna in the rain!).

Surely there is merit when saying Charlie Whiting (RIP) is sorely missed. I think we would have had all watched a very different '21 season/championship if he was still around but he's not and instead we had Masi as the PRO. I think it was pretty messed up by race officials with the mixed radio communication giving out info during the safety car/while cars pitting, saying cars will stay as they are and no passing the safety car (really pissing off some drivers/teams off that assumed the typical standard scenario). That then set off new tactical decisions for the teams and drivers informed on what to do with that directive (including Ham), then all of a sudden that directive gets dramatically changed at the last minute and drivers told that cars can pass safely car with no cars between Ham & Max. That was pretty messed up and teams were left confused, scratching their heads just as the race was getting ready to start. (this is the very last lap of the Championships!) But it wasn't too surprising either based on the way this whole season has been governed.

Having said all that, Ham owned that last lap, had a great start and looked solid, until he didn't, he left the door very wide open in the exact same place where Max passed him earlier (controversially) when he had first left that door open. I would say that's where the Championship race was lost in that one corner on the last lap. Of course there were lots of times where mistakes, incidents and mess up's....etc on both sides that brought the two tied going into this last race but I think if Ham didn't leave the door open like that, then Max would of had much less opportunity to pass for the win. I think it was a fail on Ham's part not protecting what he owned on the track and invited Max to do it. Of course his tires could have been totally cooked (max had fresh ones) and couldn't go in tight and hold the turn but I think he should have done a better job protecting a spot that Max had just utilized just a few laps earlier, Ham didn't stick his arms out wide enough and closing opportunities; it was like he thought Max was going to give up and not do anything. To me it was a WTF moment, among all the other wtf moments.

Sadly, I have to say I'm glad this season is over. What a mess of a season, with all the controversies, polarization of fans screaming out ugly & ludicrous rants at each other, lack of good PRO direction that happened well before this race, the team management of the two top teams playing games, ugly politics, manipulation and finger pointing at each other really lowered the level of what could have been an amazing season of pure F1 racing (as a sport) between two greats, for us fans to watch; instead it was a traveling circus show act; both teams are guilty of that. Someone really needs to get FIA & F1's house in order before the next season starts.

Bad PRO's can really effect the sporting quality of a competition.

 

PS: I feel bad for Latifi, he must be feeling gutted, sadly his name will be infamously remembered and mentioned for the years to come whenever the Max-Ham finale discussion comes up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

That would have been better but I still don’t understand why it was so unfair

Because the sporting regulations say that after lapped cars are waved past the safety car, it will come into the pits on the *next* lap.

On Sunday, only some of the lapped cars (the ones between 1st and 2nd place) were waved past, which has never happened in the history of F1. The safety car came in on the same lap. Had they waved all the cars past, they would have been into the final lap under safety car. Had the safety car been directed to follow the rule noted above, they would have had the final lap under safety car.

It was a controversial shit show, but F1 has been that way since I can remember.

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Nice! said:

It was a controversial shit show, but F1 has been that way since I can remember.

It is the motor racing equivalent of PHRF.  Lately the rules have been very inconsistently applied.  Like PHRF.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, IPLore said:

+1

We lost many great drivers. RIP to:

Jim Clark

Jochen Rindt

Francios Cevert

Ronnie Peterson

Patrick Depallier

Giles Villeneuve

Elio de Angelis

Ayrton Senna

and many others that I have missed out. It was too dangerous for too long and I'm with Santana thankful of the technology that has made the sport safer but not safe

 

Don't forget that the drivers contributed mightily to those insanely dangerous conditions.

Many of them were Jackie Stewart's biggest critics when he worked to get safety improved.

Like the toothless hockey players fighting against face shields - being concerned about safety was unmanly.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

5 hours ago, JohnMB said:

Personally I think Hamilton lost the Championship when he accidentally hit the magic button in Azerbaijan, but there are plenty of points in the season where ting could have gone the other way.

If this had not been the last race of the season it would have been less of an issue. I would have liked Lewis to win, but I think Max deserved the championship. It just would have been nice if the last lap of the last race had not been such a cluster.

 

Yes, Hamilton would have won if he had not hit the wrong button at the restart at Azerbajan.  He would have gone into Sunday with an 18 point cushion. It is one thing to lose a championship due to misfortune or an error but it is quite another to be winning the championship after a hard earned surge in the last 4 races, only to have a capricious  PRO inexplicably decide to award the championship to Max in the last lap.

Even Christian Horner congratulated Max "You are the World champion", not "You have won the World Championship".....and the most oft used phrase I have heard in the last 2 days is "Max deserved to win".   Which feels like even Max fans know in their subconscious that something was not right.

Anyway, my lasting memory from last Sunday was that of Lewis's grace .

Max (post Saudi) : "I didnt agree with the decisions of the stewards...but it is what it is"

Lewis (Post Abu Dhabi)  "First of all, I want to congratulate Max on his championship. Then I want to thank all of my team. We gave it our all. I realize we are still in a pandemic, so to everyone stay safe and have a happy Christmas"

A champion on the track and a gentleman off the track. The father was a role model. Did you see him go over and congratulate Max and then hug Max's father?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mambo Kings said:

 

...Hamilton would have won if he had ...

if, if, if...

Max would've won the title earlier if Ham hadn't punted him off in Silverstone... if Max's tire hadn't blown 3 laps from the end in Azerbeidjan... if Ham's engine change couldn't have taken place during a meeting with a sprint race (Brazil) ...

Lots of IFs in sport...

Luck plays a considerable role in most sports, and in F1 more than a lot. Yes it was extremely unlucky for Hamilton that the Latifi crash necessitated a safety car intervention. If it had happened just a few laps earlier, we would have had the same outcome (ie Max winning and claiming the title) without all the so called controversy.

As it was, the race direction did everything they could to clear the track as quickly as possible and end the race as it should, while racing.

The fact that the actions they needed to take could benefit one or the other driver must not be allowed to have any bearing on their decision making process.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Over the season, in my opinion Max lost more points without being to blame. And safety car phases saved more than one point to Hamilton this year.

What was more critical to me; we have again and again the situation, in Monza, Jeddah, Abu Dhabi and similar in Silverstone and Austria (2020) with the two cars entering one corner side by side, and no consistant rules/penalties. In the end these are the most spectacular situation in races, but if they don't know what the consequences will be, the drivers will think more than twice if they want to attack.

And they have to install rules for the radio conversation. What is going on there is ridiculous, they should get advice from Rugby referees...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Some suggestions for next season.

- Get rid of Masi.

- Replace all run-off area's with gravel.

- Forbid any form of communication between the teams and the race-comitee during the race.

  Make it one-way, so the comitee can inform the teams about their decissions.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All,

I agree this is not the spot to discuss F1 racing, but since u started.... I agree that it is unfair that all the cars behind Hamilton could change their tires and Hamilton couldn't but these things are in the rules. On top of that Hamilton should have given his position back to Max while he left the track gaining an advantage earlier in the race.

Penalty was not given and Hamilton benefited from that. So the only thing Max could do at that point was to put his head down and push it.

As a fan you might remember that Hamilton pushed Max of the track at a speed over 320KpH on Silverstone and only had a 10 sec. penalty for it. Also Hamilton was 1 warning away from being set back 10 places because of all kinds of stupid stunts he pulled this season.

I think it's more than fair that things went as they did... on top of that Hamilton fucked up be letting the door open on the inside because he could expect Max to jump  into the hole he left. So he can only blame himself. It was just racing and it could have been the other way around . Max has won more races this season then Hamilton so looking back a bit further I do think he deserved it.

I honestly feel embarrassed for driving Mercedes and think they should just admit that Max played it smarter this time and move on.

And now back to sailing....

 

 

  

  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I cannot understand why Mercedes did not box Hamilton for new tires when the safety car came out.  That would have forced RB to keep Max out on the hard tires with a bunch of laps on them.  The Merc with new softs would have been easily able to pass ANYTHING out there...  I guess Merc thought the race and therefore the season would end under yellow?

Going forward F1 needs to have clearer idea when to deploy the virtual safety car, the actual safety car and the red flag.  Almost seems like too many options.  I get that Masi wanted the race to end under racing conditions (and I think that sentiment is what most viewers would have wanted). The execution of that process needs a review and more structure applied.  Maybe in the last 10 or so laps the only type of race stoppage/neutralization should be a red flag to ensure that races are concluded under racing conditions....

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

In my humble opinion...

I agree with all that has been said already, but with the understanding that because F1 has seen a resurgence and is a definite money maker for the owners of the "league?", the outcome of this season was made "fair" by giving Verstappen the drivers championship (and bragging rights for Red Bull), and the constructors to Mercedes. If I understand the prize money dole out this give Mercedes a step up for next years budget while F1 champion goes all to the driver.

NetFlix is another group that will benefit from this season, cant wait to see season 4 next year.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Masi and race control have been a bit of a mess all season.  Look no further than the prior race where they told Red Bull to slow down and let Ham pass before passing the word to Mercedes!  Only Ham prevented a serious accident.

In this race, by FAR the best option would have been to red flag and restart from the grid.  However, I think there is a better than 50% chance there would have been a mash up at the first corner.  The grid was laid out such that the #2 spot had the inside to the first corner.  Max would have gone for it like a pit bull on a pork chop.  Normally, Ham is the less aggressive, but in this case there's no way he'd back out, leading to yet another Ham/Max crash.  In that case, they'd be tied on points but Max wins the tie breaker with more outright wins.

Either way, F1 is supposed to be the pinnacle of motor sports.  The race management has not reflected that level at all this year. 

Still, no better way to start a Sunday in the states!

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Mark said:

I cannot understand why Mercedes did not box Hamilton for new tires when the safety car came out.  That would have forced RB to keep Max out on the hard tires with a bunch of laps on them.  The Merc with new softs would have been easily able to pass ANYTHING out there...  I guess Merc thought the race and therefore the season would end under yellow?

 

Mercedes did not box Lewis when the Safety Car came out (for Latife) because he would have come out behind Max and Mercedes calculated (rightly it turns out) that there was at least a 50% chance that there was not enough time for a restart. That would have just handed the Championship to Max on a silver platter.

They knew Max would box for softs. Max would not lose track position, so why not.

But by leaving Lewis out, Mercedes figured that there were only two ways the race could restart. Either the Race Directors would pull out the red flag, in which case Lewis would have new soft tires and pole position for the restart, or the Race Director would leave the lapped cars in place and Max would have to pass the same 5 lapped cars that Lewis had passed , which would not leave Max enough time to use the Softs to pass Lewis.

They calculated (correctly) that there was not enough time for the track to be cleared, the lapped cars to be unlapped, and the safety car do the final lap required by the regulations for the race to restart.  Their calculation was confirmed when Masi announced that lapped cars would not be allowed to unlap, prior to Lewis passing the pit the 2nd time...so Lewis stayed out.

Mercedes made the right call. Lewis had won the race on the race track with an incredible drive.  Never in their wildest dreams did any F1 professional imagine that Masi would ignore the rule book and 28 years of established safety car procedures and at the last second cancel his prior decision and allow some but not all of the lapped cars to unlap themselves , and then pull the safety car before the clearing lap.

Prior to Abu Dhabi . # of times the safety car has been deployed = 286      # of times selective cars allowed to unlap = 0    # of times, safety car ends without the regulation lap= 0.  

Prior to the next season, Masi will leave F1 to pursue other opportunities.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

want to stop the shit? take away the ability of the toto and christian and the rest to lobby masi throughout the race... just like politics, there's too much influencing of decisions. "stewards and directors decisions are final. post race protesting is acceptable" seems pretty simple no? max's charge to the championship lost my enthusiasm when he pulled his antics (on and off track) last weekend and this weekend's finish was 'sporting entertainment' more than racing. 

 

that said, i'm jazzed for the new regulations and next year. hope they get their collective stewarding shit together

 

 

signed,

mclaren fan

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thisbe_8Can9 said:

 

, the outcome of this season was made "fair" by giving Verstappen the drivers championship

 

Drivers should not be given the Championship, they should have to win it.  Masi will be gone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, dave-j said:

 

In this race, by FAR the best option would have been to red flag and restart from the grid.  However, I think there is a better than 50% chance there would have been a mash up at the first corner.  The grid was laid out such that the #2 spot had the inside to the first corner.  Max would have gone for it like a pit bull on a pork chop.  Normally, Ham is the less aggressive, but in this case there's no way he'd back out, leading to yet another Ham/Max crash.  In that case, they'd be tied on points but Max wins the tie breaker with more outright wins.

 

I agree that Red Flag would probably have been the best call. I dont think that Max could have got to Lewis in the first corner. But we will never find out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bill E Goat said:

When I heard the teams saying what penalty the were prepared to take a few races ago I knew it was fucked, private equity want drama 

Bernie was the villain forever, now the villain is private equity, both ruthless seekers of viewers and advertising dollars. Everything they did during this crazy fucked up season worked to accomplish their bottom line goals, and Masi’s call was one of those things. Sets up a much more exciting storyline for 2022 too. 
 

you folks pratting on about sporting this and fair that are sort of glossing over that the whole things is owned by financiers. If you are surprised you have not been a fan for long

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

 

you folks pratting on about sporting this and fair that are sort of glossing over that the whole things is owned by financiers. If you are surprised you have not been a fan for long

"And the legendary curtains are drawn 'round Baby Bankrupt
Who sucks you while you're sleeping
It's the theater of financiers
Count them, fifty 'round a table
White and dressed to kill".  Bowie.

 

So essentially what you are saying, is that the whole thing was rigged by the money and all it took was one call, apparently made right at the end of the last race, to allow five and only five lapped cars through, to end the season in a one lap sprint to decide the world championship. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Bernie was the villain forever, now the villain is private equity, both ruthless seekers of viewers and advertising dollars. Everything they did during this crazy fucked up season worked to accomplish their bottom line goals, and Masi’s call was one of those things. Sets up a much more exciting storyline for 2022 too. 
 

you folks pratting on about sporting this and fair that are sort of glossing over that the whole things is owned by financiers. If you are surprised you have not been a fan for long

I have been a fan for a very long time...and thanks to the good fortune of my grandfather and father being members of BRDC (British Racing Drivers Club) , I have been lucky enough to be in the paddock of 27 Grand Prix. 

- Formula One is not owned by Private Equity. It was purchased by Liberty Media (public company), who spun a minority interest out as  a separately quoted tracking stock.  I own stock .  I also part own my grandfathers 1928 four and a half litre and I have camped in my pup tent at the Tetre Rouge more times than I can remember.....so yes I'm a longstanding fan.

- I was surprised by the Masi decision. I texted to a longstanding friend "Did Masi just get a call from John Malone?" But I was kidding. I think it was just a terrible call by Masi.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, lewis hamilton said:

blah blah blah  

its much more simple - the best man won 

I assume you are referring to Max Verstappen. He is world champion.  There are many who say he is the best driver and deserved to win. I think its a stretch to say that he won it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

He might be looking for a new job.  Dont let him come near the sport of sailing as a Principal Race Officer or Race Committee chair.

I know, I know, its a sailing site. But damn it, there is no equivalent to SA in the motor racing world and I just have to vent somewhere.

I beg forgiveness from @Editor

Verstappen is a prodigious talent. But his first world championship will forever be tainted .

As a long time fan of F1 and auto racing, going into the grand finale at Abu Dhabi, I could not lose. I was either going to witness the best of a new generation of racers win his first world championship or I was going to watch as a GOAT secured a record setting 8th world championship. How could I possible be disappointed. It was going to be a thrilling duel . I was rooting for Verstappen but with the utmost respect and admiration for Hamilton. Mr. Eye was routing for Hamilton, but in awe of the verve of Verstappen. It should have been an amazing Sunday. We invited friends over, served Brunch and had chilled champagne ready to serve for the finish.

I got my thrilling duel for 48 laps, but got neither of my outcomes . Verstappen did not win his first world championship, Lewis did not set a record and the champagne remained unopened.

Instead Michael Masi polluted the outcome and the history books by arbitrarily selecting a winner . "Its motor racing" he said! It was until he artificially created a situation where with one lap to go he had allowed Max to change to a fresh set of soft tires , leaving Lewis stranded on a set of old hard tires, closed the pre-existing gap between Lewis and Max of 13 seconds down to 0,4 second, cleared out 5 cars between them , and then said "go race for one lap". No driver in the world stood a chance in the position that Masi set up for Hamilton. It was over before the last lap started. Yet nether Hamilton nor Team Mercedes had put a foot wrong. Their strategy was based upon the rules.

The Race Director (and I hope Masi never gets that job again) had 3 options, all of which would have complied with the rules:

Option #1 : Red Flag the race when it was clear that there was not time to clear Latifi's car and restart the race under a safety car. Then the race would restart from the grid, with everyone on equal tires with 3 laps to go.....or a rolling restart on equal tires. = Thrilling finish with the world champion decided in 3 last laps of heroic racing.  Hamilton has his lead pared down to the gap on the grid. Great Opportunity for Verstappen. But a level playing field. Kudos to the winner.

Option # 2. Restart from safety car for one last lap without letting any lapped cars unlap = Hamilton was previously winning the race , but Verstappen is handed a long shot last chance because the gap had been reduced to less than 2 seconds. Verstappen had a 3 second speed advantage with the new tires but 5 cars to pass .

Option # 3 Follow standard Safety Car procedure , and allow all lapped cars to unlap = No more racing and Hamilton is World Champion. No last chance for Verstappen, but Hamilton had driven a compelling race up till that point.

Mercedes obviously preferred #3 but they took the correct strategic steps for all 3 options.

Instead Masi threw the rule book and precedent out of the window and used the power of Race Director to create a fourth option which made the whole race a complete mockery of racing.

Dumb and Disappointing. Masi Must GO......MMG.

Can you imagine Peter Craig or Hank Stuart allowing a World Championship to be decided by abandoning and restarting the last race with just one upwind leg to decide it all, but allowing the boat that was second to add crew and change to new heavy air sails while the previously leading boat is stuck with a light air set up?  

 

Who actually gives a shit?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

In the eyes of the West Sussex constabulary, Lewis Hamilton is not yet the Greatest British racing Driver of all time. When I was stopped for speeding in October, I was greeted by   'ello Stirling Moss!"

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Winge winge winge

It was 'kin brilliant.

Couldn't have written those plot twists if you wanted to.

LH caught with his pants down in the last lap.

First wheel over the line wins it, end off !!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, schafseckel said:

the two cars entering one corner side by side, and no consistant rules/penalties.

Hopefully, Max will work on some other passing moves for next year. This season looked like Max had one passing move:

Turn inside, straighten the wheel, then finish the turn at the very last moment... oh, was there a car outside that had to avoid me?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Liquid said:

Hopefully, Max will work on some other passing moves for next year. This season looked like Max had one passing move:

Turn inside, straighten the wheel, then finish the turn at the very last moment... oh, was there a car outside that had to avoid me?

Why would he change? He is World Champ

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Mambo Kings said:

- Formula One is not owned by Private Equity. It was purchased by Liberty Media (public company), who spun a minority interest out as  a separately quoted tracking stock.  I own stock .  I also part own my grandfathers 1928 four and a half litre and I have camped in my pup tent at the Tetre Rouge more times than I can remember.....so yes I'm a longstanding fan.

Actually, it could be said that the true owner of Formula One and who mostly has the most voting control of it is John C. Malone, despite what it looks like when first looking at it. He's the equivalent of the man behind the curtain, which he prefers. Mr. Malone has the incredible talent of creating very convoluted corp. structures. You see'll many companies owning a percentage of shares of Liberty One. You'll then notice if you dig deep is that Mr. Malone owns many shares (voting rights) in those other companies as well and then he owns the most shares in the companies that are owned by those companies. He also owns many shares in the companies that are owned by Liberty Liberty. He has the voting rights in almost all the companies surrounding Liberty Media.

He has also invested more money in British media than Rubert Murdoch and is the largest land owner in the United States but he himself stays out the media limelight.

https://www.thegentlemansjournal.com/article/john-malone-everything-need-know-americas-single-largest-land-owner/

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, mathystuff said:

Verstappen was better over the season. Yes, the last race was a bit farcical, but Hamilton did not get less lucky over the course of the season.

Get over it.

No that is not quite true, Max is no doubt the next gen and as they say a talent but he's also a bully. Lewis played the long game and was in my view far more of a sportsman as evidenced by his dignity in defeat. Max on the other hand has been outstandingly petulant and immature in a world of pampered egos.

I have no favourite, but Lewis was the better driver the whole race, there  is no way he would have lost if the race had continued. Luck not skill got Max the trophy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hitchhiker said:

 

 

So essentially what you are saying, is that the whole thing was rigged by the money and all it took was one call, apparently made right at the end of the last race, to allow five and only five lapped cars through, to end the season in a one lap sprint to decide the world championship. 

Maybe.  What is certain is that, anytime they are given the choice to create a dramatic moment at the expense of a sporting ethos, they will take the opportunity.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spectator said:

Actually, it could be said that the true owner of Formula One and who mostly has the most voting control of it is John C. Malone, despite what it looks like when first looking at it. He's the equivalent of the man behind the curtain, which he prefers. Mr. Malone has the incredible talent of creating very convoluted corp. structures. You see'll many companies owning a percentage of shares of Liberty One. You'll then notice if you dig deep is that Mr. Malone owns many shares (voting rights) in those other companies as well and then he owns the most shares in the companies that are owned by those companies. He also owns many shares in the companies that are owned by Liberty Liberty. He has the voting rights in almost all the companies surrounding Liberty Media.

He has also invested more money in British media than Rubert Murdoch and is the largest land owner in the United States but he himself stays out the media limelight.

https://www.thegentlemansjournal.com/article/john-malone-everything-need-know-americas-single-largest-land-owner/

I think viper didn’t read their filings

Malone has a declared beneficial ownership of 48% of the parent company due to his ownership of 96% of the series B shares of Braves, F1, and XM. He controls the company due to that share and the 20 odd percent owned by groups who do what he says. 

At least according to the 2020 10-k

 

 

 

  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Kudos to Masi. My heart was beating out of my chest from the moment Latifi crashed to the checkered flag. They went motor racing for, the sole sake of my entertainment, and we the entertainees were the victors as a result. I can only imagine Liberty Media is very pleased with Masi. He gave us the best lap of the season to cap off the best season of the sport. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MR.CLEAN said:

I think viper didn’t read their filings

Malone has a declared beneficial ownership of 48% of the parent company due to his ownership of 96% of the series B shares of Braves, F1, and XM. He controls the company due to that share and the 20 odd percent owned by groups who do what he says. 

At least according to the 2020 10-k

 

 

 

Ahem.  Clean, you know who I am.  So you will doubtless recall that I probably understand corporate structures better than most.

Many public companies are controlled by their founders or long term anchor shareholders. It does not make them Private Equity. Facebook, Google, Oracle, Nestle , Liberty Media, Bollores, Universal Music etc are not Private Equity.  

John Malone (and Greg Maffei) have retained control of Liberty Media through a series of waterfall structures ( a structure common in Europe) and tracking stocks (which is a unique feature of the Liberty group, allowing investors to invest in divisions of the group without the cost of separate stand alone public companies).  If you have invested alongside JM, you would have comfortably outperformed the market over most longer term time frames. Unlike other celebrity investors he does not crave the limelight or attribute his skill to drinking cherry coke or some supernatural ability to identify new technologies or new markets.  His holding in each of the publicly quoted vehicles is publicly available, and he has significant exposure to FWONK, so he obviously believes in it. In 2020, when F1 looked like it was going to be at risk from the pandemic, FWONK reduced its debt through an asset swap with the Braves and another Liberty company.  I was opposed to the swap because I thought F1 might be more pandemic resistant than other content, but Malone is  cautious and he put his money where his mouth was and increased his interest in FWONK. You could have too. Its worked.

But the bottom line is that Family controlled public companies behave very differently to Private Equity and different to Public companies managed by CEOs with stock options and 5-10 year tenures. PE is driven by the "carry" with funds that have wind up dates and the typical time horizon is 5-8 years. Evan Malone is 50 and their time horizon is based on grandchildren, so they are not running franchises for the short term. 

F1 is in better hands with Liberty Media than KKR, Carlyle, Disney or Altice. They picked the right guy to run it as well IMHO.  Neither Maffei or Stefano tolerate serial mistakes or a perceived character flaw. Masi will be gone. 

Whether you think Max or Lewis is the better driver ( I am just thrilled to be able to witness a golden age of talent), the flaw to this season was Masi and he wont be here next year. 

  • Like 2