Link to the Kevin Dibley episode of the Excellence in Yacht Design series

A great interview with Kevin...his early boats transformed trailer sailers into fast upwind sportsboats no matter the wind speed, ..then they turned the corner...  so many small to midsized older boats in NZd have had their underwater appendages redesigned  to take on short haul to RNI ..punching well above their weight....not so many new boat builds but transformed at lower cost that area of boats at a crucial time in racing...

an aside to the interview..on drawring up designs raised in the interview

From Frank Bethwaite and his book HPS   and reprinted in an article about Frank by Sailworld

High Performance Sailing is regarded by many as the definitive work of sailing speed.

Like many of the great thinkers in the sport Frank Bethwaite trod in the dual worlds of aviation and sailing. In a brief discussion of the units of measurement in High Performance Sailing he wrote' Naval architects tend to draw bows to the right. Aeronautical engineers tend to draw noses to the left'.

Frank drew his bows mostly to the left.
2 hours ago, huey 2 said:

A great interview with Kevin...his early boats transformed trailer sailers into fast upwind sportsboats no matter the wind speed, ..then they turned the corner...  so many small to midsized older boats in NZd have had their underwater appendages redesigned  to take on short haul to RNI ..punching well above their weight....not so many new boat builds but transformed at lower cost that area of boats at a crucial time in racing...

an aside to the interview..on drawring up designs raised in the interview

From Frank Bethwaite and his book HPS   and reprinted in an article about Frank by Sailworld

High Performance Sailing is regarded by many as the definitive work of sailing speed.

Like many of the great thinkers in the sport Frank Bethwaite trod in the dual worlds of aviation and sailing. In a brief discussion of the units of measurement in High Performance Sailing he wrote' Naval architects tend to draw bows to the right. Aeronautical engineers tend to draw noses to the left'.

Frank drew his bows mostly to the left.

It's an interesting observation that. When I used to draw on Vellum with the bow to the right (the correct way) I would often turn the drawing over so bow was on the left, and finetune the lines. I trick of the eye almost but things will pop up that you won't notice right away. 

With CAD I do the same little trick by mirroring the file over. Fascinating. Thanks H2

• Like 3

Fixin:

I don't think many people are paying attention to the series outside the Facebook fan club I have. That's a shame. So far it has been very entertaining and informative in a unique way. We have Bill Lee and Bruce King coming up.

Bob P. Old Ashfield boy

• Like 1

Bob, I would love to see a similar interview of Ln Olson, George's wife. From what I've found in ancient pre-iPhone writings, she was critical in taking George's heartfelt sculptures and art and turning them into actual sailing machines. That transformation, from art to reality, is intriguing. And from what I remember of her, meeting her when I picked up my new Santa Cruz 27 from the factory nearly 50 years ago(!), she was a very fun and nice person.

Digging through old Westlawn files in a storage shed with a collapsed roof, I was surprised to find George Olson's transcripts, dated mid 1960s. 

• Like 1
On 12/20/2021 at 12:35 AM, Bob Perry said:

Fixin:

I don't think many people are paying attention to the series outside the Facebook fan club I have. That's a shame. So far it has been very entertaining and informative in a unique way. We have Bill Lee and Bruce King coming up.

Bob P. Old Ashfield boy

Ah, ok.. I’m Somewhat of a Luddite and FaceFook Just Like most things shiny and Chrome plated causes extreme allergic reaction. :-D 
I do browse Youtube basic, so i will check in and watch the series when i can.
Good onya.

G. 

• Like 1
On 12/19/2021 at 9:35 AM, Bob Perry said:

Fixin:

Bob P. Old Ashfield boy

Bob, I am watching and really enjoy it. Thank you for much for doing these!  I have a C&C and took particular pleasure in listening to Rob Ball. 

• Like 1