Trucker boycott

https://www.thetrucker.com/trucking-news/the-nation/calls-for-colorado-boycott-grow-after-110-year-verdict-against-latino-trucker

As far as I can tell, it is real and growing.  I can see highway traffic from my shitter so I look often.  Trucker traffic down dramatically, at least 90% to my eye.  A few hours on I-25 and I-70 nearly as much, noticeably fewer truckers. I have filled all of my vehicles' tanks and bought a lot of non-perishables for the kids in case this thing develops further. I will try to keep enough fuel to get to Cheyenne if necessary. 

Aside from the politics of a 110 year prison sentence for a sober driver, the reality of the long-haul trucking industry seems to be that the drivers are organized and in such high demand right now that they can make a boycott like this work without screwing themselves in the process.  At minimum, 3 million signatures and growing along with even a 20% hit in statewide trucking could push a governor to a clemency decision;   https://kdvr.com/news/local/thousands-sign-petition-asking-for-reduced-sentence-for-truck-driver-in-i-70-crash/

The bigger story to me is that right when the boffins declared the unions dead, the worker shortage and Mexico's raging double-digit growth seems to have union power inching back.  Bad news for corporate billionaires and Amazon, potentially good news for average U.S. workers who built economic wealth in the USA over the last hundred years. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nobody is being forced.  I've been in situations with 6 healthcare workers holding someone down so I can stick the pt with an IM dose of Haldol. That is what being forced looks like.  Are any people b

No, but sounds like a rabid anti-vaxxer.  He probably resigned before he was fired for being unvaxxed around the PM.  The stats on unvaxxed hospitalization and deaths tell you who is on the wrong side

You’ve got my politics all wrong. I support the overwhelming majority of the folks you’ve listed, and certainly don’t see them as just pros at their occupation. I support them because they are do

Posted Images

Isn't Denver a Sanctuary City?  I would have thought them libbyrull jurors there would have loved them some latino defendant and set him free and gave him a parting gift...

But yeah, the sentence is ridiculous.  Sure it made some mistakes, but that doesn't warrant a life sentence for criminal manslaughter.  

1 hour ago, Fakenews said:

The notion that trucker traffic is down 90% is outlandish BS.  Tip for bullshitters tamp down the crazy when slinging BS if you don’t want to be laughed at out of hand.  Of course that advice s too late for the Joke, Chum and Mikey.

Gator, how would you even know?  Everyone knows Vespas aren’t allowed on the highway. 

The 110 was mandatory under current Colorado sentencing laws... 

https://www.denverpost.com/2021/12/16/rogel-aguilera-mederos-sentence-mandatory-minimum/

Probably only had a public defender, but whoever his lawyer was they were unable to get his client to cop to a plea deal. The result was the DA charged like a logging truck coming down a mountain without brakes. 27 counts. Probably could've gotten littering too, had he wanted it.   

A jury in October found Aguilera-Mederos guilty of four counts of vehicular homicide, six counts of first-degree assault, 10 counts of attempted first-degree assault, four counts of careless driving causing death, two counts of vehicular assault and one count of reckless driving.

No, he had a dedicated attorney. Ironically, the trial was delayed because his attorney got rear ended.

https://www.9news.com/article/news/local/fiery-crash-trial-delay/73-2dbdb8ee-7f14-4151-b75f-d49ccef74565

The DA (Kayla Wildeman) is most at fault here. She can convict a ham sandwich in this case; the outcome was not in doubt. So she had to choose what was reasonable to prosecute for rather than lard up her resume. The prosecution even admitted the brakes failed. Hopefully the governor does the right thing.

https://www.davisvanguard.org/2021/12/commentary-dont-erase-the-da-from-the-colorado-truck-crash-story/

23 hours ago, Fakenews said:

The notion that trucker traffic is down 90% is outlandish BS.  Tip for bullshitters tamp down the crazy when slinging BS if you don’t want to be laughed at out of hand.  Of course that advice s too late for the Joke, Chum and Mikey.

Just an observation. Could be coincidence. Kinda like UF football being unable to chew gum and tie cleats at same time. 

Wake Forest ranked 17 at 10-3. And Gators rank? Uh, 6-6, where is that? 

On 12/19/2021 at 10:44 AM, mikewof said:

https://www.thetrucker.com/trucking-news/the-nation/calls-for-colorado-boycott-grow-after-110-year-verdict-against-latino-trucker

As far as I can tell, it is real and growing.  I can see highway traffic from my shitter so I look often.  Trucker traffic down dramatically, at least 90% to my eye.  A few hours on I-25 and I-70 nearly as much, noticeably fewer truckers. I have filled all of my vehicles' tanks and bought a lot of non-perishables for the kids in case this thing develops further. I will try to keep enough fuel to get to Cheyenne if necessary. 

Aside from the politics of a 110 year prison sentence for a sober driver, the reality of the long-haul trucking industry seems to be that the drivers are organized and in such high demand right now that they can make a boycott like this work without screwing themselves in the process.  At minimum, 3 million signatures and growing along with even a 20% hit in statewide trucking could push a governor to a clemency decision;   https://kdvr.com/news/local/thousands-sign-petition-asking-for-reduced-sentence-for-truck-driver-in-i-70-crash/

The bigger story to me is that right when the boffins declared the unions dead, the worker shortage and Mexico's raging double-digit growth seems to have union power inching back.  Bad news for corporate billionaires and Amazon, potentially good news for average U.S. workers who built economic wealth in the USA over the last hundred years. 

When did you get out of purgatory?  And does anyone want to take bets on how long it takes for you to go back in?

I recall two or three decades ago when a customer in the loft was bragging about how the Teamsters had locked in a contract that any freight the moved under 500 mile had to move by truck, taking revenues from the railroads that could have moved it more cheaply.  It seems we're reaping the results of that event.

1 hour ago, Grrr... said:

When did you get out of purgatory?

And the Mikey starts off his new iteration with a big fat lie 

On 12/19/2021 at 10:44 AM, mikewof said:

Trucker traffic down dramatically, at least 90% to my eye.

13 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

Mikey's eye is a finely calibrated PHD instrument of misinformation.  Don't question what it sees.  Just acknowledge it and move on.

6 minutes ago, Voyageur said:

What would happen if Democrats mounted a major labor strike in west verginya?

Are there enough Dems in the state to do that. It is a pretty red place.

1 minute ago, AJ Oliver said:

Sadly, he has some good leftie values . . 

but in general he makes us look bad. 

Funny thing.  I'm not a lefty.  I'm just so disgusted with the republican party that I don't have a choice but to vote blue right now. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

I'm just so disgusted with the republican party that I don't have a choice but to vote blue right now. 

Folks like us used to be able to work together to craft sensible public policy . . 

The Riech does not do that anymore. 

In fact, they do not do policy at all,    right  @The Joker  ??? 

In my dreams, I hope that left-right cooperation can be reborn. 

If not, we're sorta screwed 

2 minutes ago, Ventucky Red said:

You do a pretty good job of that on your own.

By correctly pointing out that the Right does not do policy ?? 

And if you don't like gummint, try Somalia sometime. 

3 minutes ago, Ventucky Red said:

And things would start working again?

Just now, AJ Oliver said:

So you write writs ?? 

and you just love trillions in welfare for the oligarchists 

Why do you have a problem with the P word?

Remind me how your former employer maintains its endowment?  How do they pay your pension? How are they keeping the doors open?

1 minute ago, Ventucky Red said:

Remind me how your former employer maintains its endowment?  From donations, some from me. 

How do they pay your pension? They don't. I'm with TIAA - zero cost to the school 

How are they keeping the doors open?   Students and alums and supporters pay the freight 

What are you on about  ?? 

3 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

What are you on about  ?? 

Remind me how your former employer maintains its endowment?  From donations, some from me. 

How do they pay your pension? They don't. I'm with TIAA - zero cost to the school 

How are they keeping the doors open?   Students and alums and supporters pay the freight 

Outside of you, where do you think those donations come from?  Hint - profits.

Regarding your 403(b), where do you think your investment growth came from?  Hint - earnings.  Oh! who pays the administrative cost of the plan?

About the students (tuition) and supporters, how do you think they write these checks?  Hint - revenue.

Where do you think profits, earnings, and revenue come from?

6 hours ago, Ventucky Red said:

And things would start working again?

I enjoy you fools pretending that the people who elect the democrats don't exist.  It's entertaining.  Almost as entertaining as all the lying you tried to do yesterday about california laws.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

I enjoy you fools pretending that the people who elect the democrats don't exist.  It's entertaining.  Almost as entertaining as all the lying you tried to do yesterday about california laws.

You read about the theory and pontificate for a position of ignorance, I live the reality.  Come on out some time and I'll get you out on a few watches and let you talk to those that deal with it every day. 

Otherwise do me a favor, but more important yourself a favor and just STFU.

2 hours ago, Ventucky Red said:

Outside of you, where do you think those donations come from?  Hint - profits.

Regarding your 403(b), where do you think your investment growth came from?  Hint - earnings.  Oh! who pays the administrative cost of the plan?

About the students (tuition) and supporters, how do you think they write these checks?  Hint - revenue.

Where do you think profits, earnings, and revenue come from?

Not dumbasses

- DSK

3 hours ago, Ventucky Red said:

You read about the theory and pontificate for a position of ignorance, I live the reality.  Come on out some time and I'll get you out on a few watches and let you talk to those that deal with it every day. 

Otherwise do me a favor, but more important yourself a favor and just STFU.

Has anyone ever defined "anecdotal" to you?   And "take a few watches"? *snicker*

On 12/20/2021 at 12:11 PM, Grrr... said:

When did you get out of purgatory?  And does anyone want to take bets on how long it takes for you to go back in?

It seems that as long as I don't respond to one or two highly vocal complainers here that I am good-to-go like a dirty 'ho.

On 12/20/2021 at 1:41 PM, learningJ24 said:

I recall two or three decades ago when a customer in the loft was bragging about how the Teamsters had locked in a contract that any freight the moved under 500 mile had to move by truck, taking revenues from the railroads that could have moved it more cheaply.  It seems we're reaping the results of that event.

It is true that there is a lot of abandoned rail out East (though not so much out West here).

The reality though of our current economy is that truckers have an incredible amount of power should they choose to organize.

They operate complex and difficult-to-master machines, and between long-haul, regional and local deliveries, nothing goes anywhere that isn't delivered at some point by a truck ... not the toilet paper and double-stuffed Oreos in the supermarket, not the gasoline at the pump, not the Amazon box filled with the piece of shit du jour.

The railroads have had to make their peace with the truckers and ocean shipping long ago.  It isn't clear though when the rest of our economy will do the same. That we have yet to even segregate roadways for goods transport and personal transport suggests that we have a generational task in front of us. 

On 12/20/2021 at 1:52 PM, AJ Oliver said:

I was clear to write that it is the truck traffic on the highway outside of my shitter, as were my rough counts.

But that you think this boycott is a "lie", suggests that your lefty values are as fabricated as the academic wealth that you have extracted from gullible students who now deal with unmanageable student debt for degrees that do little for their personal revenue.

As it stands, some 4,650,000 U.S. truckers and supporters have signed on to the demand for clemency. But as someone who doesn't get his hands dirty, greasy, cut and broken with his work, you choose to deny it as effectively as Fox News calls it a "rumor."

This is no rumor, Professor ...

https://www.change.org/p/jared-polis-grant-clemency-or-give-commutation-with-time-served-to-rogel-lazaro-aguilera-mederos

On 12/20/2021 at 9:56 PM, AJ Oliver said:

The Riech 

In my dreams, I hope that left-right cooperation can be reborn. 

As long as you continue to compare those with whom you disagree to Nazis, the best you can contribute here is your "dream" and nothing else. 

You are mostly ineffectual as a progressive due to your grudges and ignorance of the real world. But you are in good company as you and your kind gradually go the way of Dodo.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, mikewof said:

It seems that as long as I don't respond to one or two highly vocal complainers here that I am good-to-go like a dirty 'ho.

Names or it didn't happen ... I think we'd all like to know more about that. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

Not necessary.  It is about as interesting as a warm puddle of spit at the edge of the playground. 

Here, this is a better ...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRGrL8YeL45efg8InKuNnC

22 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

Why bother? It's just typical wofsey bloviating.  I think everyone here knows you can go pretty far without getting in trouble.  There are only a few things that really push the mods buttons.  Seems like consistently pushing covid misinformation is one of them. 

1 hour ago, mikewof said:

I was clear to write that it is the truck traffic on the highway outside of my shitter, as were my rough counts.

But that you think this boycott is a "lie", suggests that your lefty values are as fabricated as the academic wealth that you have extracted from gullible students who now deal with unmanageable student debt for degrees that do little for their personal revenue.

This is what you wrote. It is a lie. 

"Trucker traffic down dramatically, at least 90% to my eye." 

2 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

This is what you wrote. It is a lie. 

"Trucker traffic down dramatically, at least 90% to my eye." 

How are you going to tell me what I saw on the highway outside of my window? I have looked at the traffic on that highway every day for seven years. 

Let me guess, you learned your "science" in a class about politics?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Grrr... said:

Why bother? It's just typical wofsey bloviating.  I think everyone here knows you can go pretty far without getting in trouble.  There are only a few things that really push the mods buttons.  Seems like consistently pushing covid misinformation is one of them. 

It was responding to a certain fellow SAer about something unrelated to covid.

But feel free to keep your own narrative uncomplicated if it is easier for you to digest. Regardless your third-grade worldview, there is no "getting in trouble" on this site ... it is a for-profit enterprise and management obviously reserves the right to serve or not. 

2 minutes ago, mikewof said:

How are you going to tell me what I saw

Call it an educated inference . . such as the following . . 

If your insane statement was even half true Colorado would be grinding to a screeching halt by now. ('Scuse the expression) 

And it would be all over the news.  It's not. 

Why do you keep digging holes for yourself ??? 

That being said, the trucker got a very raw deal. 

7 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

If your insane statement was even half true Colorado would be grinding to a screeching halt by now. ('Scuse the expression) 

And it would be all over the news.  It's not. 

Why do you keep digging holes for yourself ??? 

That being said, the trucker got a very raw deal. 

Your inability to understand actual science is telling.  In what corner of political "science" does one isolated data set represent any other data set?

At some point you should admit that you have no training in science. Even Gator was smart enough to recognize that ... but you? 

24 minutes ago, mikewof said:

Your inability to understand actual science is telling.  In what corner of political "science" does one isolated data set represent any other data set?

At some point you should admit that you have no training in science. Even Gator was smart enough to recognize that ... but you? 

Ollie was a legacy admission.

4 hours ago, mikewof said:

As long as you continue to compare those with whom you disagree to Nazis,

Still another lie.

Riech and its derivatives such as Riechista (misspelled on purpose to get past PA censors) 

are not the same thing as Nazis, or even fascists. 

And you know it. 

I'll grant that the terms are akin to quasi-fascist, or Dude-on-the-road-to-fascism. 

Since I mostly coined those terms, especially Riechista, I get to define them. 

If you don't like it, go invent your own terms. 

57 minutes ago, mikewof said:

I'm not sure counting trucks on the road during your daily constitutional is "science" but, ok. I guess. 

37 minutes ago, Raz'r said:
1 hour ago, mikewof said:

Your inability to understand actual science is telling.....

I'm not sure counting trucks on the road during your daily constitutional is "science" but, ok. I guess. 

It's the closest Mikey is going to get. And I would not bet that he can actually count trucks correctly, past about 6 anyway.

- DSK

14 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

It's the closest Mikey is going to get. And I would not bet that he can actually count trucks correctly, past about 6 anyway.

- DSK

Old joke about whale observers counting whales....

"One, two, three..... err, many".

We didn't have a high regard for their abilities. OTOH a lot were young, cute and sooo excited to be at sea that they'd forget they had partners back in the land world. What happened south of 60S stayed there.

Well, until always-on internet and digital cameras anyway.

FKT

Seems as though Santa arrived a bit early this year:

You've chosen to ignore content by Ventucky Red. Options 

You've chosen to ignore content by AJ Oliver. Options 

You've chosen to ignore content by mikewof. Options 

You've chosen to ignore content by chum. Options 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, AJ Oliver said:

Tone-deaf much?  (Probably not, I assume it's deliberate and the "it doesn't mean *that*" defense is merely occasionally useful.)

4 minutes ago, chum said:

LOL someone is trying to read a thread who's author he is ignoring!

Please look up the definition of whose vs who's.  You're giving me a headache.

When you use who's, read it as who is and see if that's what you intended.  Otherwise, are you talking about something that belongs to something/someone named who.  File this under shit you should have learned in grade school.

9 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Please look up the definition of whose vs who's.  You're giving me a headache.

When you use who's, read it as who is and see if that's what you intended.  Otherwise, are you talking about something that belongs to something/someone named who.  File this under shit you should have learned in grade school.

Like Horton hears a who's.

18 minutes ago, Ventucky Red said:

What was the line from Two and a Half Men,

Horton hears a who, Charlie hear's a whohaaaa

Horton hears a "YOOHOO!!!"?

1 hour ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Old joke about whale observers counting whales....

"One, two, three..... err, many".

We didn't have a high regard for their abilities. OTOH a lot were young, cute and sooo excited to be at sea that they'd forget they had partners back in the land world. What happened south of 60S stayed there.

Well, until always-on internet and digital cameras anyway.

FKT

"Hey baby, I got a whale you can count, right here."

Not sure that this would change my opinion about steel boats but it would certainly be far better than going to sea on big gray floating monastery.

- DSK

15 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

It annoys me that you'd make such a big deal of Mike's WAG on truck traffic here in this post while having your ass handed to you in the Equal Rights thread when your claim of 5M students in the Ivy League was shown to be <150,000. I thoughtfully enhanced the text so you couldn't miss it. Might have called you a bloviating liar too, I don't recall. I meant to.

AJ: YESTERDAY: And it is also wrong and dumb to say that legacy admits at private Unis don't amount to much.  In fact, there are five million students at those schools,  Right @Blue Crab NOPE UTTER BULLSHIT: "For the academic year 2019-2020, total 146,851 students have enrolled in Ivy League colleges including both undergraduate and graduate schools - 63,012 undergraduate and 83,839 graduate students. By gender, there are 69,852 male students and 76,999 female students." Wiki.  At the estimated LA admits of 14% in the IL, that comes to almost 21K LAs in an overall US college enrollment of ~20M. Peanuts.

20,000,000 >21,000

20 hours ago, mikewof said:

It was responding to a certain fellow SAer about something unrelated to covid.

...there is no "getting in trouble" on this site ... it is a for-profit enterprise and management obviously reserves the right to serve or not. 

Makes more sense than something covid-related considering the crapola on here everyday about it..

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

AJ: YESTERDAY: And it is also wrong and dumb to say that legacy admits at private Unis don't amount to much.  In fact, there are five million students at those schools,  Right @Blue Crab

Face palm repeated . . .   one more time . . .  very . . . .  sloooooowly  

Ivies are private, but not all private unis are Ivies . . 

except sorta Cornell which is an Ivy that does get some NY state money. 

You are waaaaay out of your league here dude. 

1 hour ago, Blue Crab said:

Your constant assumption that you are schooling us on anything is ridiculous.

Stop writing stupidity, and I'll be glad to stop schoolin' ya. 

Do you now grasp that not all private unis are Ivies ?? 

Finally ?? 

8 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

It annoys me that you'd make such a big deal of Mike's WAG on truck traffic here in this post while having your ass handed to you in the Equal Rights thread when your claim of 5M students in the Ivy League was shown to be <150,000. I thoughtfully enhanced the text so you couldn't miss it. Might have called you a bloviating liar too, I don't recall. I meant to.

Come on, you have to make allowances. He's a self-confessed poly-sci professor.

What's ~3X an order of magnitude error for someone like him? It's in the ballpark, right?

Don't bother him with details like facts. If he was actually interested in facts, he never would have chosen to pollute young minds with bullshit in the first place.

FKT

31 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Come on, you have to make allowances. He's a self-confessed poly-sci professor.

What's ~3X an order of magnitude error for someone like him? It's in the ballpark, right?

Don't bother him with details like facts. If he was actually interested in facts, he never would have chosen to pollute young minds with bullshit in the first place.

FKT

I misread his stilted prose so he was less wrong than I suggested. 

On 12/22/2021 at 12:45 PM, AJ Oliver said:

Still another lie.

Riech and its derivatives such as Riechista (misspelled on purpose to get past PA censors) 

are not the same thing as Nazis, or even fascists. 

And you know it. 

I'll grant that the terms are akin to quasi-fascist, or Dude-on-the-road-to-fascism. 

If you don't like it, go invent your own terms. 

You created a loophole so that you can obtusely compare those with whom you disagree as members of an extinct political party that slaughtered millions? 

Is this the way to promote the "left-right cooperation" you seek?

One of the problems with progressive politics is clearly demonstrated here ... we have allowed our ideals to be defined by academics rather than people who get their hands dirty. But maybe this is changing? A few million union and non-union truckers have organized and defined their own terms.

On 12/22/2021 at 1:49 PM, Steam Flyer said:

- DSK

It is an odd question.  And I have thought about it a bit, this dramatic drop-off in truck traffic on the highway visible from my shitter.

One possibility ...

Highway 93 is a fairly short intrastate highway, notorious for impromptu weigh stations presumably as revenue generation. If traffic has decreased on the Interstates that move through Colorado like 25, 76 and 70 with truckers bypassing our state due to the boycott (and I have noticed less traffic on the interstates) then there would be little reason for local operators to risk the smaller highways to bypass traffic on the interstates.

I'll bet that with the decreased truck traffic that the EPA measures noticeably lower particulate matter along the Front Range. We can check in a few months.

Just now, mikewof said:

It is an odd question.  And I have thought about it a bit, this dramatic drop-off in truck traffic on the highway visible from my shitter.

One possibility ...

Highway 93 is a fairly short intrastate highway, notorious for impromptu weigh stations presumably as revenue generation. If traffic has decreased on the Interstates that move through Colorado like 25, 76 and 70 with truckers bypassing our state due to the boycott (and I have noticed less traffic on the interstates) then there would be little reason for local operators to risk the smaller highways to bypass traffic on the interstates.

I'll bet that with the decreased truck traffic that the EPA measures noticeably lower particulate matter along the Front Range. We can check in a few months.

As much as I admire the truckers and their objective, the wallet hit will start soon and the extra hours and miles of bypassing Colorado will be too much to bear. Pretty awful for the dude, but people did die. Should he have risked his own death and driven off the road? Yeah, I think so. 

12 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

As much as I admire the truckers and their objective, the wallet hit will start soon and the extra hours and miles of bypassing Colorado will be too much to bear. Pretty awful for the dude, but people did die. Should he have risked his own death and driven off the road? Yeah, I think so. 

He tried to drive into the median to slow down.  And those ramps end once 70 reaches Genessee or so.  I worked at Denver West for years, trucks with smoking, fire-engulfed brakes and tires were a regular thing to see.  It is a long downhill from Genesse with few places to get off that road as you suggest, in many spots (including where he crashed) the highway is guardrail-to-guardrail or at least guardrail-to-rockface.

Did he do it wrong? Absolutely. He was insufficiently trained and with weak equipment on a fully-loaded rig. 

The boycott is one which we stand to lose a lot more than the truckers. Their rallying point is that non-Hispanic drivers receive minimal sentences for similar death tolls even when inebriated ... Alyssa Shepherd was sentenced to four years after she plowed into four children next to their schoolbus in Indiana.  Minimum sentencing aside, 110 years is practically a declaration of war against truckers.

4 minutes ago, mikewof said:

He tried to drive into the median to slow down.  And those ramps end once 70 reaches Genessee or so.  I worked at Denver West for years, trucks with smoking, fire-engulfed brakes and tires were a regular thing to see.  It is a long downhill from Genesse with few places to get off that road as you suggest, in many spots (including where he crashed) the highway is guardrail-to-guardrail or at least guardrail-to-rockface.

Did he do it wrong? Absolutely. He was insufficiently trained and with weak equipment on a fully-loaded rig. 

The boycott is one which we stand to lose a lot more than the truckers. Their rallying point is that non-Hispanic drivers receive minimal sentences for similar death tolls even when inebriated ... Alyssa Shepherd was sentenced to four years after she plowed into four children next to their schoolbus in Indiana.  Minimum sentencing aside, 110 years is practically a declaration of war against truckers.

The 110 year sentence is more than outrageous … it vengeance 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, mikewof said:

I would expect Colorado to change the guidelines to all concurrence, rather than consequetive, and maybe the governor grants clemency to that. Sounds like the judge's hands were tied.  Nonetheless, if there's a truck careening down a mountain with no brakes, then the driver is already fucked, s/he doesn't have to fuck others, as well.

We have occasional truck emergency off ramps in our mountain roads here, but no way are they sufficient or in enough spots to help all possible runaways. 

15 minutes ago, slug zitski said:

The 110 year sentence is more than outrageous … it vengeance 

isn't that the whole reason the prison/justice/cops systems exist

they do not really have any other reason to be

except to DO SOMETHING

I've been on a mountain road in front of a log truck that flamed out it's brakes. The driver did everything he could. He blasted his horn, he weaved back and forth, side to side, flashed his lights. I was driving 60-70 on a 25-35 road with hairpins. The first pull off I got to I ditched into, slammed on my brakes, and was maybe 10' from the edge of nowhere as the guy blew past.

When I got down to the flat coming in to Ft. Bragg, there he was on the side of the road walking around his truck. The front brake radiators (Yeah, the big log trucks have water cooled brakes) were both smoking. The 6 inside tires on the triple screw were ll blown out. The mill was only a mile or two up the road, but he was going to have to get someone else to bring it in. I gave the guy a ride to the gas station so he could call. (Pre cell phone, and CB didn't work in that ditch)

When he got out he said that he was sorry for blowing me off the road, but his other choice was going right over the top of me.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Raz&#x27;r said:

I would expect Colorado to change the guidelines to all concurrence, rather than consequetive, and maybe the governor grants clemency to that. Sounds like the judge's hands were tied.  Nonetheless, if there's a truck careening down a mountain with no brakes, then the driver is already fucked, s/he doesn't have to fuck others, as well.

Well, obviously not in this case, because the driver survived to get the 110 year sentence.

I think you're pushing shit uphill expecting someone to kill themselves rather than kill strangers. The history of the human race shows that making decisions like that is rare.

Why did the truck brakes/equipment fail? That's where I'd be looking. Preventing accidents like this is a lot more useful than punishing the driver afterwards. Those people are still dead.

However upgrading brakes, steering etc costs money so - shrug.

FKT

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Well, obviously not in this case, because the driver survived to get the 110 year sentence.

I think you're pushing shit uphill expecting someone to kill themselves rather than kill strangers. The history of the human race shows that making decisions like that is rare.

Why did the truck brakes/equipment fail? That's where I'd be looking. Preventing accidents like this is a lot more useful than punishing the driver afterwards. Those people are still dead.

However upgrading brakes, steering etc costs money so - shrug.

FKT

In the US, if the company isn’t seen to be criminally liable, it certainly will be subject to significant financial liability. Assuming they didn’t immediately go bankrupt of course.

Just now, Raz&#x27;r said:

In the US, if the company isn’t seen to be criminally liable, it certainly will be subject to significant financial liability. Assuming they didn’t immediately go bankrupt of course.

We've had bad truck accidents here. First thing that happens is, the entire company fleet gets pulled off the road and the inspectors descend. God help the owners if maintenance hasn't been done and provably so, and bankruptcy won't save them. They can't duck responsibility that way, personal assets are on the line for massive OH&S fines.

Good thing too. Shit sometimes happens but neglecting maintenance to save money isn't acceptable.

FKT