Cawthorn Divorcing Wife After 8 Months Of Marriage

On 12/23/2021 at 8:59 AM, jerseyguy said:

The party of family values

:lol:

What about Anthony Weiner? or Bill cigar Clinton and so many other dipshits. You are an ahole

On 12/23/2021 at 10:22 AM, SloopJonB said:

The guy's in a chair and he thinks he's going to do better than that.

What a maroon.

Oh... wait... he's a Republican.

Never mind.

Having been in a wheelchair for 24 years this December and being married for 12 prior to that. It has been a real struggle to keep it together. I try to be normal but sometimes it just don't work.

I'm sure as a newlywed it must be tough. No doubt, she married him to try and get citizenship. Where would you rather live, the USA or Russia?
I've known 2 paraplegics that have commit suicide. One who got married and a year later........Any king of spinal injury is not a life I would wish on my worst enemy.

You guys are all ASSHOLES of an IMMENSE MAGNITUDE.

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Of corset will. 

I honestly wouldn't give a shit if some politician wants to run around in a dress and make goofy gay-looking drunk videos with his drunk buddies *as long as he wasn't actively trying to do everything

I think people are just ovary acting.

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

Yes, we are ASSHOLES of an IMMENSE MAGNITUDE. This is PA. Perhaps you were looking for GA where you will find assholes of normal diameter. With that said, we didn't sell out the country and Cawthorn is Putin's mouthpiece on Fox.

BTW, where would you rather live, the US of Fucking A or Russia? If you're gonna defend Cawthorn, don't bother answering.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

So you think we should give Cawthorn a pass for threatening our herd ?? 

Why, are we supposed to cut him slack because of his disability ?? 

35 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

What about Anthony Weiner? or Bill cigar Clinton and so many other dipshits. You are an ahole

Having been in a wheelchair for 24 years this December and being married for 12 prior to that. It has been a real struggle to keep it together. I try to be normal but sometimes it just don't work.

I'm sure as a newlywed it must be tough. No doubt, she married him to try and get citizenship. 

So much to unpack…

dems don’t run on “family values” platforms so their kinks aren’t a hypocrisy.

she’s a spy, married to a self described “patriot”

he’s an asshole that wants to end the US of A. His accident and subsequent disability don’t give him a free pass to be an asshole.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

Your whataboutism literally included the words "what about". Congratulations!

• Like 3
34 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

His accident and subsequent disability don’t give him a free pass to be an asshole.

It worked for The Wad.

7 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:
43 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

His accident and subsequent disability don’t give him a free pass to be an asshole.

It worked for The Wad.

I think he's jealous. It's almost impossible to feel the slightest bit of sympathy or empathy for either MW or Cawthorn, due their constant hateful yowling. Maybe MW should run for office, that kind of "message" seems to resonate with trumpalos

- DSK

1 hour ago, Meat Wad said:

I'm sure as a newlywed it must be tough. No doubt, she married him to try and get citizenship. Where would you rather live, the USA or Russia?
I've known 2 paraplegics that have commit suicide. One who got married and a year later........Any king of spinal injury is not a life I would wish on my worst enemy.

She is a citizen.  Was born in the US.  She’s a traitor like her ex hubby.

On 12/28/2021 at 3:36 AM, Olsonist said:

Butina was a mutt. But then I do remember our resident kablamists were vewy, vewy qwiet about her and the NRA in an I hope this will all go away soon so we can start talking about pizza parlor basements again kind of way.

image.png.01b0fc953413a897f24d9a1d2b52a952.png

Speaking of the Russian NRA Princess…

I don't know the guy and this thread is the first I have heard of him so he must be a bit player. I watch many news channels and never heard of him

It is amazing the shit you guys fuss over.

A bunch of old guys worrying about your stupid shit.

19 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

I don't know the guy and this thread is the first I have heard of him so he must be a bit player. I watch many news channels and never heard of him

Gossipy old women...

29 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

It’s all good folks.  Meat Vlad has never heard of him and the other treasonists of Jan 6th.  Nothing to see here.  

23 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

The difference between being in a wheelchair, or even dead, and me is a series of lucky breaks. Every once in a while I sit and enumerate the various times I have “almost” met with great physical tragedy. 
I swear I have been blessed with the luck to escape from a dozen 50/50 situations unscathed. 
     Among those is the night I got out of the car because I wasn’t old enough to get into the bar   when  my six friends who went were terminated on the way home. 
      @Meat Wad’s posts grabbed me today. 
I have jogged under way more trees than Gov. Abbott and have yet to be hit by one. 

On the other hand, I have heard all the same sales pitches for becoming a selfish Greedy heartless dishonest sell out Republican politician as Abbott and have never stooped to his level. . 

As for the politician who is seeking to break his “until death” contract, I believe he should be required to resign from his office as well. 

I do not want anyone serving in a position of trust who has demonstrated he breaks contracts with other people, the government, and his church. Filing for divorce simply proves a person has limited integrity. 

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

Odd thread to be in and say stupid shit if you don't know about the guy.

8 minutes ago, Olsonist said:

Odd thread to be in and say stupid shit if you don't know about the guy.

That is a perfect description of how Republicans operate ….…

…. And it works!!!! 

2 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

I don't know the guy and this thread is the first I have heard of him so he must be a bit player.

It's O/K, we're used to you not knowing shit.

10 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

I don't know the guy

typical prideful ignorance of the local Riech . .  

he could study up on the Mad Man, but nooooooooo

6 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

typical prideful ignorance of the local Riech . .  

he could study up on the Mad Man, but nooooooooo

Who are we to judge those who choose to remain uninformed?

1 hour ago, Bus Driver said:

Who are we to judge those who choose to remain uninformed?

People who are judging those who choose to remain uninformed. What did I win?

• Like 1

North Carolina voters dispute Cawthorn candidacy over Jan. 6

A group of North Carolina voters urged state officials Monday to disqualify U.S. Rep. Madison Cawthorn as a congressional candidate, citing his participation in a rally last January in Washington that questioned the presidential election outcome and preceded the Capitol riot.

Cawthorn's office quickly condemned the candidacy challenge, filed on behalf of 11 voters before the State Board of Elections, which oversees the scrutiny of candidates’ qualifications. The voters contend that Cawthorn, a Republican who formally filed as a candidate for the 13th District seat last month, can’t run because he fails to comply with an amendment in the U.S. Constitution ratified shortly after the Civil War.

The 14th Amendment says no one can serve in Congress “who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress . . . to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same.”

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Nice! said:

Makes me wonder if they are going after Cawthorn to get a ruling/judgement before going after the bigger fish.

Maddy would be a good start, then line up the rest of the certifiable whackjobs pretty soon you wouldn't have too many left.

The case against Cawthorn has to surmount some obstacles, especially since he didn’t go and he didn’t obviously plan.

But there’s enough statements I show intent, and the election boards that will pick committee  reps to decide if a trial is needed to judge whether cawthorn’s candidacy is unconstitutional are dominated by Democrats.

There’s  probably discovery & testimony coming. 

• 2 weeks later...

Will Madison Cawthorn Be Brought Down by ‘Insurrection’?

Representative Madison Cawthorn has breezily dismissed a candidacy challenge filed by voters in his home state, North Carolina, seeking to bar him from re-election to the House of Representatives based on his role in the events of Jan. 6.

The plaintiffs, a spokesman from the pro-Trump Republican’s office said, are “comically misinterpreting and twisting the 14th Amendment for political gain.”

Mr. Cawthorn is being too quick to scoff. The 14th Amendment provision in question, while little known and not employed since 1919, is a close fit for his conduct around Jan. 6 — as well as that of at least a half-dozen Republican colleagues who the organization spearheading the challenge, Free Speech For People, suggests will be next.

Passed in the wake of the Civil War to prevent former rebels from serving in Congress, Section 3 of the 14th Amendment states: “No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress … who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress … to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof.”

The critical point to understand is that Section 3 added a qualification to hold office, one of the very few in the Constitution. The others are that members of the House must be at least 25, a U.S. citizen for seven years and live in the state the individual represents. It is no different in this respect from the qualification that the president be at least 35 and a natural-born citizen.

So, if the voter challenge succeeds in establishing that Mr. Cawthorn engaged in “insurrection or rebellion,” he would be as ineligible to serve in Congress as if it were revealed that he is 24 years old. Under North Carolina law, once challengers advance enough evidence to show reasonable suspicion that a candidate is not qualified, the burden shifts to the would-be candidate to demonstrate the contrary.

The North Carolina State Board of Elections will create a five-member panel composed of people from counties in the new district in which Mr. Cawthorn intends to run (which is more Republican leaning than his current one). The panel’s decision could be appealed to the entire State Board of Elections, and after that to the state’s court system. The board’s decision will be delayed until after a state court rules on a separate redistricting challenge in North Carolina. But the issue will have to be resolved in time for the state’s primary election, currently set for May, so the normal Trump playbook of stalling until the issue becomes moot is not an option.

The key question in the challenge will be whether Mr. Cawthorn’s acts of support for the Jan. 6 uprising rise to the level of engaging in an insurrection against the government.

Here is what the first-term congressman did, based on public reports and allegations in the challenge: In advance of the riot at the Capitol, he met with planners of the demonstrations and tweeted that “the future of this Republic hinges on the actions of a solitary few … It’s time to fight.” He spoke at the pre-attack rally at the Ellipse, near the White House, where he helped work the crowd into frenzy, saying the crowd had “some fight in it” and that the Democrats were trying to silence them. And in the aftermath of the mob violence, he extolled the rioters as “political hostages” and “political prisoners,” and suggested that if he knew where they were incarcerated, he would like to “bust them out.”

The constitutional term “insurrection” is less cut-and-dried than, say, whether a candidate is 25 years old. In other contexts, courts have defined it as a usually violent uprising by a group or movement acting for the purpose of overthrowing the legitimately constituted government and seizing its powers. That accurately describes the collective pro-Trump effort to undermine the certification of the November 2020 election.

In the hours after the riot, Mitch McConnell, then the Senate majority leader, described the attack as a “failed insurrection”; one of President Trump’s own lawyers in the impeachment trial stated that “everyone agrees” there was a “violent insurrection”; and Mr. Cawthorn himself voted for a resolution that described the attackers as “insurrectionists.” He’ll be hard pressed to run from that label now.

As for whether Mr. Cawthorn “engaged” in the insurrection, in an 1869 case, the North Carolina Supreme Court interpreted that term in Section 3 to signify “voluntarily aiding the rebellion, by personal service, or by contributions … of anything that was useful or necessary” to it. Even before more facts are developed in the case — including a possible deposition of Mr. Cawthorn — the tweet exhorting demonstrators to fight because the future of the Republic hinges on it seems plainly designed to aid the enterprise.

The indictment of Stewart Rhodes, the leader of the far-right Oath Keepers, and 10 other Jan. 6 participants on seditious conspiracy charges reinforces the notion that the crimes of Jan. 6 were not simply offenses of property or disorder but were attacks against the government itself, the same core idea as with insurrection.

If the North Carolina courts rule against him, expect Mr. Cawthorn to make a quick dash to the U.S. Supreme Court, arguing that it has final authority to interpret the federal constitutional term “insurrection.” At that point, a conservative majority that includes three justices appointed by Donald Trump might well sympathize with Mr. Cawthorn.

But while it may be rare, the North Carolina voter challenge is no joke. The challengers have a strong case, and Mr. Cawthorn would be foolish to take it lightly.

Not the brightest porch light on the block... 

https://www.newsweek.com/madison-cawthorn-seen-cleaning-gun-during-virtual-hearing-veterans-affairs-1671453

Madison Cawthorn Seen Cleaning Gun During Virtual Hearing on Veterans Affairs

Republican Representative Madison Cawthorn of North Carolina was seen cleaning a gun during a three-hour virtual House Veterans Affairs Committee meeting that took place on Wednesday. The hearing was about military members being exposed to potentially dangerous toxic chemicals.

The 26-year-old Congress member was seen handling a black pistol for several minutes during the testimony of Jen Burch, an Air Force veteran who experienced breathing problems after exposure to a "burn pit" in Afghanistan. At the hearing, she discussed how medical professionals could help assess other veterans who have been affected by the pits.

On 12/23/2021 at 8:38 AM, hobie1616 said:

Like any good GOOPER, he was probably expecting her to give up her career, become a hausfrau, and start popping out little GOOPERS.  After looking at her picture she probably told him NFW and kicked his wheelchair out from under him.

Rep. Madison Cawthorn Divorcing Wife After Less Than 8 Months Of Marriage

40201650_ScreenShot2021-12-23at8_32_17AM.thumb.jpg.20a15165b28708b5ab78e299865e7754.jpg

If that's his wife, he's an idiot!  He also likely was afraid that if he did anything to piss her off, she would squash him like a bug.  

I loves me some muscled wimmenz!  Rawwwwr!  :lol:  Send her my way, I'll give her a good transitional home to chill out at.  

On 12/23/2021 at 1:11 PM, Mike G said:

Dude...leave some pussy for the rest of the world!

I agree about the poor shooting form.  He needs to keep his legs straighter........  

11 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

If that's his wife, he's an idiot!  He also likely was afraid that if he did anything to piss her off, she would squash him like a bug.  

I loves me some muscled wimmenz!  Rawwwwr!  :lol:  Send her my way, I'll give her a good transitional home to chill out at.  

Like someone upthread said she’s gay….

1 minute ago, Fakenews said:

Like someone upthread said she’s gay….

So, I got no problem with that.  In fact, if she wants to bring her GF's around - I'd be fine with that as well.  Just saying.....

50 minutes ago, Mark K said:

Not the brightest porch light on the block... 

https://www.newsweek.com/madison-cawthorn-seen-cleaning-gun-during-virtual-hearing-veterans-affairs-1671453

Madison Cawthorn Seen Cleaning Gun During Virtual Hearing on Veterans Affairs

Republican Representative Madison Cawthorn of North Carolina was seen cleaning a gun during a three-hour virtual House Veterans Affairs Committee meeting that took place on Wednesday. The hearing was about military members being exposed to potentially dangerous toxic chemicals.

The 26-year-old Congress member was seen handling a black pistol for several minutes during the testimony of Jen Burch, an Air Force veteran who experienced breathing problems after exposure to a "burn pit" in Afghanistan. At the hearing, she discussed how medical professionals could help assess other veterans who have been affected by the pits.

Vlad  wants us divided, and he has his not so top people working on it. 

Cawthorn’s new district is even redder than the one he currently represents. The gun polishing stunt, and it is just that, a stunt; will just get him more votes from the red hat RWNJ demographic. A carefully calculated stunt. Either than or he is dumber and more clueless than several boxes of rocks.

16 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Can we only pick one?

All of the above can be in play

3 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

Cawthorn’s new district is even redder than the one he currently represents. The gun polishing stunt, and it is just that, a stunt; will just get him more votes from the red hat RWNJ demographic. A carefully calculated stunt. Either than or he is dumber and more clueless than several boxes of rocks.

It doesn't take much to entertain elk. I'll bet anyone some used spinnaker bands that Cawthorn and Gaetz get re-elected easily, well anyone except for Tom who doesn't have Paypal.

4 minutes ago, Olsonist said:

It doesn't take much to entertain elk. I'll bet anyone some used spinnaker bands that Cawthorn and Gaetz get re-elected easily, well anyone except for Tom who doesn't have Paypal.

And Boebert and probably Greene along with a bunch of others From safely gerrymandered districts.

8 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

And Boebert and probably Greene along with a bunch of others From safely gerrymandered districts.

Shaggy explained that Boebert is getting re-districted out. Greene is getting primaried by a serious candidate, Strahan. Whether the elk want that or entertainment is another matter. I'm betting on entertainment. However, she has not filed for re-election yet.

https://www.postindependent.com/news/new-congressional-redistricting-map-puts-lauren-boebert-in-redrawn-cd2-with-joe-neguse/

https://ballotpedia.org/Georgia's_14th_Congressional_District_election,_2022

4 minutes ago, Olsonist said:

Shaggy explained that Boebert is getting re-districted out. Greene is getting primaried by a serious candidate, Strahan. Whether the elk want that or entertainment is another matter. I'm betting on entertainment. However, she has not filed for re-election yet.

https://www.postindependent.com/news/new-congressional-redistricting-map-puts-lauren-boebert-in-redrawn-cd2-with-joe-neguse/

https://ballotpedia.org/Georgia's_14th_Congressional_District_election,_2022

Thanks

9 minutes ago, Pertinacious Tom said:
14 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Not going to read it. What’s your opinion?

That being proud of your non-reader status is among your dumber behaviors, which is really going some.

Don't despair, young Thomas.  @Raz'ris a diehard TL;DR advocate when the narrative doesn't suit him.  Par for the course, pretty much.  

2 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

Don't despair, young Thomas.  @Raz'ris a diehard TL;DR advocate when the narrative doesn't suit him.  Par for the course, pretty much.  

Skipper, I think you missed a mark rounding there. But I'm certain that you'll double back and go around again.

3 minutes ago, Olsonist said:

Skipper, I think you missed a mark rounding there. But I'm certain that you'll double back and go around again.

As long as the string, when pulled taut, rounds all the marks in the correct order........  ;)

Just now, Burning Man said:

As long as the string, when pulled taut, rounds all the marks in the correct order........  ;)

How many 720's do you have to pull before you get dizzy?

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Pertinacious Tom said:

That being proud of your non-reader status is among your dumber behaviors, which is really going some.

Would love your opinion. If I find it interesting, I might read it. Blind link? Nah, not so much.

1 minute ago, Burning Man said:

I think you missed the T Mark. That's not the T Mark in the Plastic Classic because no one misses the T Mark in the Plastic Classic. In fact, some people probably round it more times than strictly necessary.

Just now, Olsonist said:

I think you missed the T Mark. That's not the T Mark in the Plastic Classic because no one misses the T Mark in the Plastic Classic. In fact, some people probably round it more times than strictly necessary.

Hell, most people are still looking for the little man in the canoe.

22 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

How many 720's do you have to pull before you get dizzy?

Actually, I rewrote my OD class's Si's such that a Rule 2 violation was only a 360.  Everyone loved it and the racing was better for it.  

On 1/29/2022 at 12:37 AM, Raz'r said:

Would love your opinion. If I find it interesting, I might read it. Blind link? Nah, not so much.

Live by your own gossip.

On 1/28/2022 at 11:57 AM, Raz'r said:

He's a Elkbertarian, he thinks whatever Reason tells him to think. 

So my opinion can be found at this link and if you'd really love it, you can go read it.

1 minute ago, Raz'r said:
4 hours ago, Pertinacious Tom said:

Live by your own gossip.

So my opinion can be found at this link and if you'd really love it, you can go read it.

If nothing else, you’re a lazy fucker.

Think about what Tom just admitted.  His "opinion" is really that of Jacob Sullum, the author of the Reason piece he cited.

Not his own opinion.  He simply adopts the opinions of others as his own.

Un$urpri$ing.

11 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Think about what Tom just admitted.  His "opinion" is really that of Jacob Sullum, the author of the Reason piece he cited.

Not his own opinion.  He simply adopts the opinions of others as his own.

Un$urpri$ing.

Normal folks would say "I think we should do X" - lay out an argument, maybe throw in a cite with a "this guy states it better than I can"

Lazy folks post a nondescript cite, don't even mention "X", and send folks on goosechases.

There are more negative adjectives than "lazy" of course.

1 minute ago, Raz'r said:

Normal folks would say "I think we should do X" - lay out an argument, maybe throw in a cite with a "this guy states it better than I can"

Lazy folks post a nondescript cite, don't even mention "X", and send folks on goosechases.

There are more negative adjectives than "lazy" of course.

I prefer the term "rabbit holes".  Regardless, that is what he is after.

Madison Cawthorn sues to stop inquiry into his Jan. 6 insurrection links

According to a report from the Raleigh News & Observer, controversial Rep. Madison Cawthorn (R-NC) has filed a legal challenge in response to an attempt to get him banned from the 2022 ballot over his alleged involvement in the January 6th insurrection that is currently being investigated by a House select committee. 

At issue are moves by groups to use the language in the Constitution to bar him from holding office if he took part in seditious activities, which could lead to him being banned from being on the ballot. 

Buried within the 14th Amendment is a clause that states, “No person shall be a senator or representative in Congress … who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress … to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof.” 

As former U.S. Attorney Harry Litman argued recently in the New York Times, "... if the voter challenge succeeds in establishing that Mr. Cawthorn engaged in “insurrection or rebellion,” he would be as ineligible to serve in Congress as if it were revealed that he is 24 years old. Under North Carolina law, once challengers advance enough evidence to show reasonable suspicion that a candidate is not qualified, the burden shifts to the would-be candidate to demonstrate the contrary." 

https://www.rawstory.com/madison-cawthorn-2656525411/

Oh look that Movable Righty is getting nervous, let’s quote a post from before Xmas to distract from the fact that Maddy is a reprehensible fascist lying POS that got a wife from the Ruskies.

1 minute ago, Navig8tor said:

Oh look that Movable Righty is getting nervous, let’s quote a post from before Xmas to distract from the fact that Maddy is a reprehensible fascist lying POS that got a wife from the Ruskies.

All they have left is "look at (fill in the blank)". It's pure deflection.

Sad.

Bigly.

59 minutes ago, Movable Ballast said:

Didn't know she was Married to Hunter Biden... 

OOOOOO - there's that rapier wit again.

Don't cut yourself.

Madison Cawthorn backed the Capitol attack. Will he be barred from office?

To this day, only footsoldiers have paid a price for the riot at the Capitol last January 6th. Politicians who spurred them on, praised them afterwards, and now incite further hatred with hallucinatory talk of “political prisoners” have remained smugly immune.

This could change in one case: Republican Congressman Madison Cawthorn, who was on the mall that fateful day, implored Trumpists to “fight,” and is now seeking re-election in North Carolina. His candidacy is being challengedon the basis of the 14th Amendment. Passed after the Civil War, it disqualifies from holding office anyone who has sworn allegiance to the Constitution and then engages in insurrection.

Other democracies are comfortable not just with restricting individual rights to run for office, but with banning entire parties suspected of undermining democracy. Americans, by contrast, have been inclined to leave things to sort themselves out in the political process.

But here drastic measures are justified: citizens in a democracy have to accept being governed by politicians they disagree with; they don’t have to put up with politicians who start insurrections when things don’t go their way. Disqualification could have a salutary effect on the Republican Party as such; and it might provide a model for banning Trump from holding office again – something that was on the table during the 2021 impeachment and endorsed by seven Republican senators at the time.

In North Carolina, citizens can challenge a candidate to prove they meet qualifications for Congress. Unlike the House Committee investigating the events of January 6th, the board on elections could force a sitting member of Congress to testify about the role he played before, during, and after the insurrection. In the end, his fate could resemble that of many Confederates after the Civil War: not necessarily criminal punishment, but exclusion from exercising power.

Many American constitutional lawyers feel ambivalent about an approach known elsewhere as “militant democracy”: measures to restrict the rights of people posing a threat to democracy but who have – unlike terrorists, for instance – not done anything criminal. Courts in Germany, Spain, and South Korea ban entire political parties; in the US, even at the height of McCarthyism, the Communist Party was not prohibited. Why, skeptics might ask, not have faith in politics instead of democracies doing something that looks pretty undemocratic? After all, if the people themselves are not able to see dangers to democracy for what they are, democracy might be lost anyway.

That’s not where worries stop. If you go down the path of prohibitions, for example, what would prevent Republicans from McCarthy-style retaliation against figures like AOC? After all, they could argue, she’s a socialist, capitalism’s the American way, and hence she’s obviously engaged in overthrowing our political system. This is not paranoia: in Indiana, Republicans are pushing a school bill which would declare socialism incompatible with the principles on which the US was founded.

As a matter of principle, it seems inconsistent to oppose felon disenfranchisement and yet demand rights restrictions for office-seekers. People ought to be punished for actual criminal behavior, but why also deny them a role in our process of self-government? After all, no democracy should create situations where some people look like second-class citizens not enjoying full use of political freedoms.

Such worries must be taken seriously. A democracy that is trigger-happy about taking individuals or entire groups out of the political game is probably not as democratic as it sees itself to begin with. (In Europe, for example, Turkey holds the record in party bans – and these bans have often been aimed at legitimate advocates for the Kurdish minority.)

But ultimately these worries do not weaken the case for disqualifying pro-insurrectionist Republicans. Constitutional requirements are not something that can be dispensed with ad hoc: you either meet the age, residency, and citizenship requirements for Congress or you don’t. What matters is that the process ascertaining what Cawthorn said and did is fair.

True, anyone disqualified will style themselves a martyr – further proof of Democrats’ tyranny! They will wallow in the culture of victimhood which, in a typical form of projection, the far right always attributes to left-wing proponents of identity politics. Of course, the far right itself relentlessly pushes people to indulge the fantasy of being a persecuted minority: as a result, insurrectionists do not regard themselves as aggressors at all, but as merely engaged in self-defense and saving the Republic.

Since this game is being played no matter what, there are hardly prudential considerations to go easy on pro-insurrection politicians. Plus, if disqualified figures feel that a great injustice was done, they can appeal to Congress, which, with a “two-thirds majority in each House,” can decide to lift restrictions, for instance if politicians stop lying that January 6th was a tourist outing for patriots. Unlike in the case of so many felons, this not a political life sentence.

Of course, there is always a predictable chorus of pundits and politicians lamenting that all this will further “deepen our divisions.” But they should ask themselves whether such disqualifications and demarcations are not the kind of thing that a normal center-right party would not undertake itself: because the Republican Party has become a Trump personality cult, it might actually be in the interest of those too afraid to speak out against the cult to outsource the necessary boundary-drawing to what Cawthorn himself dismisses as “state bureaucrats.” After all, to paraphrase Lyndon Johnson, even strident left-wingers have an interest in a democratic rightwing party that is inside the tent pissing out rather than an anti-democratic, violence-prone one pissing in.

Those crying that disqualifications re-open political wounds and delay national “healing” – often a demand pushed by rightwingers to distract from their complicity in the assault on the Capitol – have to realize that the issue will not go away. Other figures will be challenged as well, and, of course, Trump himself, if he tries to get on state ballots in 2024.

Whether a heavily right-leaning US supreme court will uphold disqualifications is a very open question indeed – but there is every reason to try enforcing them.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:
Insurrecting is hard, isn’t it, bullshitters?

JFC, this guy doesn't have the faintest clue how ironic this is...

“[T]he public interest is served in choosing the People’s representatives by democratic processes, not by state bureaucrats, which Challengers propose here,” Cawthorn argues in a brief filed by prominent conservative attorney James Bopp Jr. “The undemocratic scheme contained in the North Carolina Challenge provisions supplants voters for state bureaucrats who will determine who can represent the People.”

I truly hope he is denied being allowed to run for elected office ever again.

Then tried and punished when found guilty.

Then stripped of his right to vote.

Madison Cawthorn wants to destroy Social Security to 'incentivize' the elderly to work

Madison Cawthorn unveils his 'Contract with America' that destroys social security to 'incentivize' elderly to work 

U.S. Rep. Madison Cawthorn (R-NC) has revealed his “New Contract with America” that’s designed to destroy Social Security, one of the most successful and life-saving programs in U.S. history, to “incentivize” the elderly to return to work. 

That’s just one aspect of what Cawthorn describes as a 10-point plan that reads like a far right-wing dream from capitalist kingpins to return America to the days of child labor, seven-day work weeks, and no retirement for senior citizens. But it does call for the federal government to “promote and celebrate the American manufacturing and agriculture industry by incentivizing domestic production,” despite the US economy being so on fire the Federal Reserve is poised to dramatically raise interest rates to cool off spending and so-called “inflation.” 

Snip 

It includes “slashing government spending by a third by 2031; enacting a balanced budget amendment; and abolishing the income tax and finding a replacement flat tax or consumption tax by 2026,” Fox News adds. 

“The contract also calls for abolishing the Department of Education, making English the official language of the United States, banning federal funding for critical race theory teachings, and enacting school choice on the federal level so federal dollars follow the students to their school of choice, including private religious schools.” 

Snip

3 hours ago, badlatitude said:

Madison Cawthorn wants to destroy Social Security to 'incentivize' the elderly to work

Madison Cawthorn unveils his 'Contract with America' that destroys social security to 'incentivize' elderly to work 

U.S. Rep. Madison Cawthorn (R-NC) has revealed his “New Contract with America” that’s designed to destroy Social Security, one of the most successful and life-saving programs in U.S. history, to “incentivize” the elderly to return to work. 

That’s just one aspect of what Cawthorn describes as a 10-point plan that reads like a far right-wing dream from capitalist kingpins to return America to the days of child labor, seven-day work weeks, and no retirement for senior citizens. But it does call for the federal government to “promote and celebrate the American manufacturing and agriculture industry by incentivizing domestic production,” despite the US economy being so on fire the Federal Reserve is poised to dramatically raise interest rates to cool off spending and so-called “inflation.” 

Snip 

It includes “slashing government spending by a third by 2031; enacting a balanced budget amendment; and abolishing the income tax and finding a replacement flat tax or consumption tax by 2026,” Fox News adds. 

“The contract also calls for abolishing the Department of Education, making English the official language of the United States, banning federal funding for critical race theory teachings, and enacting school choice on the federal level so federal dollars follow the students to their school of choice, including private religious schools.” 

Snip

The Republican Party needs more people like him if only to show how utterly debased it has become.

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

The Republican Party needs more people like him if only to show how utterly debased it has become.

Obligatory Burn This Bitch To The Ground cite incorporated herein by reference.

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

More?

They are already all like him.

5 hours ago, badlatitude said:

Snip 

Snip

Because that work em till they drop, no vacations and stratospheric medical bills has worked out so well.

One can hope that somewhere an old tired elder is incentivized enough to give Mad a bad case of rigor mortus........ 

What is it about Republicans wanting to marry eastern European ex hookers?

What is wrong with the home grown rightwing Poon tang?

8 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

See below. It is either that or a bottle blonde Kayleigh or Tomi bimbo trying to spout the right bullshit to make a buck like Ann and Laura did. 

E87156FD-319E-46F7-A7F7-3EEFA33BAD52.jpeg

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Skeletor Coulter doesn't give them a chubby, I guess.

download.jpeg

• Like 1