Shit happens, all the time.  Change is inevitable, so just fucking deal with it, and live your lives.

It's not the end of the world.....

FROM THE FRONT PAGE, SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO GO THERE, IF YOU PREFER NOT TO.....

Here’s something you likely didn’t see coming: as of today I have sold Sailing Anarchy. After 22 years of creating, publishing, and stirring as much shit up as I could (while maintaining SA as a business), I feel like now is a good time to hand the tiller over to someone else.

Oh don’t worry, I’ll still be driving the content as I have been retained for at least the next 12 months, so we’ll continue to have the good, informative, snarky, ridiculous and entertaining stuff we’ve always strived to produce.

But I have never cared for all of the other work that goes into running a business; you know the taxes and the payroll and the assorted other heaps of nonsense that is required to keep SA afloat. But afloat we have been, through thick and thin, good times and bad. We’re like dogshit on your shoes; it never seems to go away. And the stink lingers for what seems like forever. 22 years of forever.

I don’t know that this is an end of an era, as I’ll still be here and I’ve signed a  relatively short non-compete with the new owners, but handing over the keys is still such a strange feeling for me.

I am incredibly proud and remain as thrilled as ever by creating this place and working on it nearly every single day, 365 days a year.  It is a labor of love that has defined me in many ways, allowed me to do essentially what I want while helping to bring this huge community of sailors together.

And on that note,  truly, it is you who have made this place what it is. I never had a mission statement per se, but the one thing that I have always tried to do is to not make Sailing Anarchy about me, but to make it about you, the sailors.  Sure, I put up my occasional vanity pieces, and I spout of editorially from time to time, but that’s about it. That so many of you identify yourself as anarchists is something that deeply touches me. For real.

A lot of you have been with us from the jump, and to them,  all the way to the people who have just discovered us (where the fuck have you been anyways?) I give a heartfelt thank you. And in truth, I’m a little sad as I reflect on the last 22 years. Hell, a tear or two may have fallen, but don’t you dare tell that to anyone!

Nobody thought we’d succeed. I should print the list of e-mails from the naysayers, haters and chumps who bagged on us literally from day one, but I never listened to any of them. Not one. Had I, I’d have been curled up in the fetal position, crying for my mommy. But my response then, as it is 22 years later has always been “Fuck Off”.

And to the high-profile venture capitalist who wished me doom and unmitigated failure, you are long gone, and I am still here. Bite me, I mean if you still could…

This sport needed to be shaken up, and who would have thought that it would be us? Without boasting,  we have changed the way this sport is covered and reported.  My Senior Editor, Mr. Clean had a huge role in that, and I’ll be forever grateful to him. Every single “journo” or publication has disliked or outright hated us, never gave us any recognition and certainly no props. But really, who gives a fuck? I never did. Our traffic numbers don’t lie, and they are all painfully aware of that fact. The notable exception is of course Seahorse, with who we have been very good friends with for many years. It’s no surprise that those who know what they are doing, get us, while the fuckwits just don’t understand…

As for how SA started, I will forever be indebted to old man and bullshit artist Tom Leweck for refusing to print or even acknowledge a letter I had sent into his dumb little newsletter decades ago. His good ol’ boy club hypocrisy is truly what motivated me to start SA.  And then when he gave it to his untalented glad-handing chump of a son, well that was just gasoline on the fire for me,  which as many of you know, is exactly the way I like it! Of all the publications, Craig’s daddy’s has been the most fun to bury. Fuck both of you!

Nobody dared to do what we did, and so many of them (and you fuckers know who you are) eventually copied much of what we started. Everybody rips everything off, but we were the originators. The agitators.  The anarchists. And we’re still here.

Much love to all my people right here right now.

ed.

Feel free to kick me in the nuts if you wish!

43 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

I visited something called the front page and there it is.  Just fucking great.  There goes the anarchy and probably PA. 
Explains the recent purge of the local fuckwiits

The very fact that you are still here contradicts the underlined statement.

lol

Ed put one of his boats on  ebay, you could see his other transactions on ebay, I made note that he had bought his latest engagement ring on ebay and got flicked.  If I'm not here tomorrow, you know what happened.  Congrats on the sale!

3 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

I doubt it.  The way things are going I bet PA has more posts that SA before the end of 2022.

The purge in "the Bilge" of WBF was pretty ruthless when the owner sold the forums bit.

It became very po faced and dull. (I got a time out for calling another Australian a Bastard, or maybe it was Bugger? Buggered if i can remember. 

I wonder who scot's sold it to?

8 hours ago, billy backstay said:

And to the high-profile venture capitalist who wished me doom and unmitigated failure, you are long gone, and I am still here. Bite me, I mean if you still could…

I just wonder if we'll be allowed to say the name, or if I'll continue to have to refer to a city to the South of me as Fort FatGrifter?

2 hours ago, Lochnerian Tom said:
11 hours ago, billy backstay said:

I just wonder if we'll be allowed to say the name, or if I'll continue to have to refer to a city to the South of me as Fort FatGrifter?

What if he fronted these other folks to buy it for him?

2 hours ago, Lochnerian Tom said:

Was it ***********?  Or Craig Lewick?

EDIT:  That answers than! Dan-My-Yours is still not allowed...

4 minutes ago, quod umbra said:

Who cares?
We all know it was Dawg who made this place.

Best of luck Scooter, glad to see you moving forward.

Merry Christmas to all.

I got a dollar that says BJPIII's wife bought the place so he could ban everybody he hates!!!

You sure waste a lot energy hating on BJ!  I doubt he gives you a second thought....

• Like 5

I really hate to say nice things, but I caught covid early on, and Clean, maybe 30-40 mins away, volunteered to pick up and bring me food.  Actions speak louder than words.  He's aces and I hope he gets a nice xmas bonus for his contributions over the years.

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

I really hate to say nice things, but I caught covid early on, and Clean, maybe 30-40 mins away, volunteered to pick up and bring me food.  Actions speak louder than words.  He's aces and I hope he gets a nice xmas bonus for his contributions over the years.

Clean took a lot of crap, from his snarky, argumentative, online persona.  I am not at all surprised that he is in fact a decent, giving bloke...

14 hours ago, random. said:

It's a familiar pattern now.  Been happening to many other forums including a bike related one I used to frequent, just a few weeks ago.  It's a corporate grab for the advertising $.  Canadians are they Scot?

Here is their fairwell message, same same ....

"After 21 amazing years piloting ThumperTalk.com, Brian Wilson and I have carefully and thoughtfully transferred our interests in ThumperTalk.com into the highly capable hands of the folks at VerticalScope.

This was a tough decision for @Brian and I, but after countless hours of discussion and a few sleepless nights, we agreed that this is the right decision for us personally, but also a solid opportunity to turn the throttle over to a highly talented group of professionals with a lot more resources and a fresh perspective that will take ThumperTalk to the next level (and beyond).

Other than new admins doing the behind-the-scenes work and in the future, necessary software updates, little else is expected to change. VerticalScope isn’t looking to reinvent ThumperTalk, but to build upon its success, enhancing the user experience where possible.

It’s been an awesome experience and privilege to host the resource that ThumperTalk.com is to riders around the world, but we recognize that without such a great community of riders, none of this would be possible. For that, THANK YOU!

All the best!

Bryan Bosch & Brian Wilson"

Interesting. VerticalScope already owns sailnet.

3 hours ago, billy backstay said:

You sure waste a lot energy hating on BJ!  I doubt he gives you a second thought....

BJ probably has him on ignore - like most thinking people.

15 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Shit happens, all the time.  Change is inevitable, so just fucking deal with it, and live your lives.

It's not the end of the world.....

FROM THE FRONT PAGE, SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO GO THERE, IF YOU PREFER NOT TO.....

Here’s something you likely didn’t see coming: as of today I have sold Sailing Anarchy. After 22 years of creating, publishing, and stirring as much shit up as I could (while maintaining SA as a business), I feel like now is a good time to hand the tiller over to someone else.

Oh don’t worry, I’ll still be driving the content as I have been retained for at least the next 12 months, so we’ll continue to have the good, informative, snarky, ridiculous and entertaining stuff we’ve always strived to produce.

But I have never cared for all of the other work that goes into running a business; you know the taxes and the payroll and the assorted other heaps of nonsense that is required to keep SA afloat. But afloat we have been, through thick and thin, good times and bad. We’re like dogshit on your shoes; it never seems to go away. And the stink lingers for what seems like forever. 22 years of forever.

I don’t know that this is an end of an era, as I’ll still be here and I’ve signed a  relatively short non-compete with the new owners, but handing over the keys is still such a strange feeling for me.

I am incredibly proud and remain as thrilled as ever by creating this place and working on it nearly every single day, 365 days a year.  It is a labor of love that has defined me in many ways, allowed me to do essentially what I want while helping to bring this huge community of sailors together.

And on that note,  truly, it is you who have made this place what it is. I never had a mission statement per se, but the one thing that I have always tried to do is to not make Sailing Anarchy about me, but to make it about you, the sailors.  Sure, I put up my occasional vanity pieces, and I spout of editorially from time to time, but that’s about it. That so many of you identify yourself as anarchists is something that deeply touches me. For real.

A lot of you have been with us from the jump, and to them,  all the way to the people who have just discovered us (where the fuck have you been anyways?) I give a heartfelt thank you. And in truth, I’m a little sad as I reflect on the last 22 years. Hell, a tear or two may have fallen, but don’t you dare tell that to anyone!

Nobody thought we’d succeed. I should print the list of e-mails from the naysayers, haters and chumps who bagged on us literally from day one, but I never listened to any of them. Not one. Had I, I’d have been curled up in the fetal position, crying for my mommy. But my response then, as it is 22 years later has always been “Fuck Off”.

This sport needed to be shaken up, and who would have thought that it would be us? Without boasting,  we have changed the way this sport is covered and reported.  My Senior Editor, Mr. Clean had a huge role in that, and I’ll be forever grateful to him. Every single “journo” or publication has disliked or outright hated us, never gave us any recognition and certainly no props. But really, who gives a fuck? I never did. Our traffic numbers don’t lie, and they are all painfully aware of that fact. The notable exception is of course Seahorse, with who we have been very good friends with for many years. It’s no surprise that those who know what they are doing, get us, while the fuckwits just don’t understand…

As for how SA started, I will forever be indebted to old man and bullshit artist Tom Leweck for refusing to print or even acknowledge a letter I had sent into his dumb little newsletter decades ago. His good ol’ boy club hypocrisy is truly what motivated me to start SA.  And then when he gave it to his untalented glad-handing chump of a son, well that was just gasoline on the fire for me,  which as many of you know, is exactly the way I like it! Of all the publications, Craig’s daddy’s has been the most fun to bury. Fuck both of you!

Nobody dared to do what we did, and so many of them (and you fuckers know who you are) eventually copied much of what we started. Everybody rips everything off, but we were the originators. The agitators.  The anarchists. And we’re still here.

Much love to all my people right here right now.

ed.

Feel free to kick me in the nuts if you wish!

Frankly, My forum tastes have changed and I really only go to GA and PA.  Used to do the unread content thing, but well, Redit is basically that so there you go...  We can always start a SA Redit page if this place actually goes into the shitter...    LOL. Thanks for the good times mr Tempstra....  I will post a more thorough thank you in the new year, but you seriously changed lives...  

25 minutes ago, shaggy said:

Frankly, My forum tastes have changed and I really only go to GA and PA.  Used to do the unread content thing, but well, Redit is basically that so there you go...  We can always start a SA Redit page if this place actually goes into the shitter...    LOL. Thanks for the good times mr Tempstra....  I will post a more thorough thank you in the new year, but you seriously changed lives...  

Same here, I rarely go on SA or the home page, just GA-PA.  Still haven't tried to figure out  Reddit, Instagram, or Twitter, Tik-Tok, or any of the other new fangled things, and probably never will!  Pretty content with things, without more sources of BS, and drama!  We watch NBC News most nights, and sometimes BBC, but Missus BB makes me change channels when impoverished children or other horrors of much of the rest of the world are being reported.  I think everyone should watch that at least once a week.   You will thank your lucky starts as to how good you/we have it here, compared to millions of humans around the world, caught in the middle of endless wars, with no homes, no clean water, no food, no sanitation.....

50 minutes ago, Ventucky Red said:

So what are you going to do now that Scott doesn't need you to dive click rates-traffic with your bombastic dive by cunt and paste postings? 

BTW.... Merry Christmas MoFo, have a good one. 

As you know, I'm richer than God, I mean I was. Now that Scot has sold SA, he has the title.

Happy Christmas to you and yours, or is it Happy Kwanzaa? Have the best, regardless.

31 minutes ago, dacapo said:

I thought that fat whale ate himself to death years ago 

This is the most recent google entry I found on **********...  Sorry for the pay wall, 2016 was he most recent hit below...

https://www.bizjournals.com/boston/news/2016/06/08/as-company-nears-sale-boston-ceo-ordered-to-pay.html

30 minutes ago, dacapo said:

I thought that fat whale ate himself to death years ago 

Meirs has nothing to do with the sale or wishing doom, he did win the lawsuit years ago so SA had to put up a banner apology on the mythical home page.

Now back to our regularly scheduled confusion.

On 12/23/2021 at 6:37 PM, Fakenews said:

I visited something called the front page and there it is.  Just fucking great.  There goes the anarchy and probably PA. 
Explains the recent purge of the local fuckwiits…

Be careful Gaytor. If there’s a Purge of fuckwits here in PA, you’re not too far down the list.  

Just saying.

1 hour ago, Burning Man said:

Be careful Gaytor. If there’s a Purge of fuckwits here in PA, you’re not too far down the list.  

Just saying.

Pot/ kettle?? 
and I fully realize we each move up the list  with the  purging of Grumpy, Multiple Malarkeys, El Mariachi, Happy Jack, Cleveland Steamer, Killery Man Again, Chum, Punslinger, Folding Prop, Hillary, RBooth, Bull Gator, Dabnis etc

notice how the sale was announced way back in 2004 

57F11FFB-AFFF-4085-9C55-B13B80F437B6.jpeg

3 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

Pot/ kettle?? 
and I fully realize we each move up the list  with the  purging of Grumpy, Multiple Malarkeys, El Mariachi, Happy Jack, Cleveland Steamer, Killery Man Again, Chum, Punslinger, Folding Prop, Hillary, RBooth, Bull Gator, Dabnis etc

notice how the sale was announced way back in 2004 

57F11FFB-AFFF-4085-9C55-B13B80F437B6.jpeg

You and all your socks will be on thin ice too old mate.

2 minutes ago, 00seven said:

You and all your socks will be on thin ice too old mate.

I have socks?? Other than  as. When I have posted as 00seven,  when did you last see a post from one of my socks?? Couid you be so kind as to provide a sock name, copy of the post, and the thread title?? I
and… our lake will NEVER freeze sufficiently to have thin ice. 

On 12/23/2021 at 5:57 PM, random. said:

It's a familiar pattern now.  Been happening to many other forums including a bike related one I used to frequent, just a few weeks ago.  It's a corporate grab for the advertising $.  Canadians are they Scot?

Here is their fairwell message, same same ....

"After 21 amazing years piloting ThumperTalk.com, Brian Wilson and I have carefully and thoughtfully transferred our interests in ThumperTalk.com into the highly capable hands of the folks at VerticalScope.

This was a tough decision for @Brian and I, but after countless hours of discussion and a few sleepless nights, we agreed that this is the right decision for us personally, but also a solid opportunity to turn the throttle over to a highly talented group of professionals with a lot more resources and a fresh perspective that will take ThumperTalk to the next level (and beyond).

Other than new admins doing the behind-the-scenes work and in the future, necessary software updates, little else is expected to change. VerticalScope isn’t looking to reinvent ThumperTalk, but to build upon its success, enhancing the user experience where possible.

It’s been an awesome experience and privilege to host the resource that ThumperTalk.com is to riders around the world, but we recognize that without such a great community of riders, none of this would be possible. For that, THANK YOU!

All the best!

Bryan Bosch & Brian Wilson"

Berg Donk is gone.

Yeah, ThumperTalk had a change of ownership, and a valuable local contributor was flicked, right away. The flicked guy was keen and helpful, to the core... but was also irreverent. This bit was a senseless, counter-productive development.

Scot being Scot, I will miss Scot.