17 DH boats about to start Sydney Hobart for the first time...

About 20% of the fleet.

I'll be watching the two J/99's, SunFast 3600, SunFast 3300, SunFast 3200, and First 34.7 to see who's going well upwind the first day.  

Fascinating to see how this all goes down.  Definitely on our bucket list.

I am confused by S2H tracker versus standings. Two J/99's with one well ahead on the race course and the other shown well ahead by handicap. Can their handicaps be that different? The standings page shows them approximately matching the tracker in terms of distance to finish but estimates the one behind Rum Runner finishing well ahead of Dysko. 

Is it just based on current boat speed versus DTF? 

You picked a bad time to look at the tracker.  It is seriously confused.  Disko is in real contention for the overall including the fully crewed boats.  No idea why it is currently showing last.  They have been first for the last 24 hours or so.  Disko does rate a fair bit slower than Rum.  Not sure what the differences are, but sail area must be one of them.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Roleur said:

You picked a bad time to look at the tracker.  It is seriously confused.  Disko is in real contention for the overall including the fully crewed boats.  No idea why it is currently showing last.  They have been first for the last 24 hours or so.  Disko does rate a fair bit slower than Rum.  Not sure what the differences are, but sail area must be one of them.

Thanks Roleur, I have been watching and have seen Disko out front for quite a while now and it appears she is still out front despite the standings page. 

3 hours ago, Roleur said:

...  Disko is in real contention for the overall including the fully crewed boats... 

Unfortunately @Roleur because of an unfathomable ruling by the CYCA, the two handed boats are not eligible for overall honours. :(

20 minutes ago, danstanford said:

I got the impression it was because they were allowed autopilots....

Yeah exactly. The maxis can run their engines 24/7 to power winches, hydraulics and canting keels but give two people an autopilot to help out and all of a sudden the sky is falling...

• Like 3

I can only assume Disko Trooper has optimised the boat for IRC - adjusting sail area etc. Surprising that the IRC difference is echoed in PHS, which is supposed to be a reflection of actual performance.

Surprising that all the Jeanneau yachts are out. Not surprising that an Akilaria is in front!

I will be happy if on IRC any of the DH yachts beat any of the leading fully crewed yachts - in particular Chutzpah who came out very strongly last year about how unfair autopilots were, and of course Scratchy Arse.

• Like 1

Pretty cool to see DH now allowed after years of a 4 crew minimum. I feel for Alex Whitworth who would have lived to do the race DH (he race SH, double handed boat to UK, DH Fastnet then  DH back to Sydney for another Hobart)

The race is super tough and I suspect Sunfasts and J99 are far from optimal

Double handed Fastnet and Middle Sea Race would make a fun offshore year in Europe

21 hours ago, Jambalaya said:

Double handed Fastnet and Middle Sea Race would make a fun offshore year in Europe

You read my mind...  Working on that.  

So, Disko Trooper ended up 4th OA in IRC, but they are 1st OA in ORCi, including all the fully crewed boats.  That's a pretty big achievement for a little ole J/99.  Without splitting hairs, you could say a J/99 just won Sydney Hobart.

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, crashtestdummy said:

Anyone want to take a stab at why the big difference between ORC and IRC?  Sails, materials, weight?

I just bought an IRC boat from Hong Kong and curious how it will rate under ORC

One great thing about ORC is everything is completely open.  Go on their website and you can search for boats and see all the details that go into each boats  rating.  You can also use your own boat or another boat and make modifications and run test ratings for a nominal amount.  

If your boat is not a one off then you can find a like boat and see how it rates.  

AFAIK, IRC has a few secret sauce methodologies cooked into it that favors certain things (not totally transparent), while ORC is fully public VPP.  I'm not sure exactly what would case the difference in results though

43 minutes ago, robalex117 said:

One great thing about ORC is everything is completely open.  Go on their website and you can search for boats and see all the details that go into each boats  rating.  You can also use your own boat or another boat and make modifications and run test ratings for a nominal amount.  

If your boat is not a one off then you can find a like boat and see how it rates.  

I understand that part and have both ratings.  More curious as to what makes a good ORC boat vs IRC boat?  We know boats have been promised for each but if one has been optimized for IRC(or ORC) will it rate fairly under the other or get penalized?

Does cast iron keel fair better than stainless fin?   The shoe shapes keels of J boats seems to rate well

sorry for thread hijack and probably better for discussion other places but two 99’s weren’t rated close so peaked my interest 

On 12/31/2021 at 7:18 AM, crashtestdummy said:

Anyone want to take a stab at why the big difference between ORC and IRC?  Sails, materials, weight?

I just bought an IRC boat from Hong Kong and curious how it will rate under ORC

Which boat did you pickup? Done quite a few seasons there

On 12/30/2021 at 6:08 PM, Roleur said:

You read my mind...  Working on that.  

I had it mind to do it but only ever managed the Fastnet bit (profile photo 2005 race rounding rock 2h 105) ! My good friend and rival Shaun "Spud" Murphy did the pair in his 105 and enjoyed the RMS so much he left the boat in Malta for a year to do that race again.

Here is your season :D  (I've done all of these, French 2h week is great atmosphere and quality racing)

June Duo Cat Amania - 2h day passage racing week based in Southern Brittany. Training and boat familiarisation

July RORC St Malo & training qualification 

August Fastnet

Truck boat North-South of France and deliver to Malta

Middle Sea Race

6 hours ago, crashtestdummy said:

Ambush 

Nice - light air flyer - consistently fast but always loaded with a gun crew, like any good boat they always attract the talent. A lotta fun left in that boat!