Nice spirit of tradition boat build

2 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

94820C91-11B7-478B-9612-BCC6E70D87C6.jpeg

Beautiful.

Am I the only one who thinks boats without pulpits and lifelines look unfinished?

They get a bit of that blank Wally look without them.

15 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Beautiful.

Am I the only one who thinks boats without pulpits and lifelines look unfinished?

Safety add ons..I took mine off since I don’t sail it in the Atlantic Ocean. If I go offshore I get are required. Plus, with a 10’ beam you could hardly make it down the side decks.

On 12/27/2021 at 11:02 PM, SloopJonB said:

To me, no lifelines makes a boat look truly old-fashioned.  That's how yots were back in the day when wealthy yotties hired crew for a penny a day, and just bought new crew to replace any who drowned themselves before payday.   I guess the theory was that if the crew were not skilled enough to stay on the boat, they weren't much loss anyway.

Chuck a shilling at the widow and call it Darwinism.

• Like 1

I always like to look at boats without lifelines as their absence seems to enhance the designer’s art.  Perhaps that’s why lifeline are on so many boats these days—not so much art to detract from.

However, when I look at boats like the Eagle 54 daysailer,  I seem to get an immediate urge to sit down when I think of going forward on her. (And I’m not even on it!) Even their 44 would make me a touch nervous.  Perhaps, on boats with deep cockpits and under 40’ loa, it is okay to go without, but bigger than that?  Probably not… 

https://www.leonardoyachts.com

13 hours ago, jamhass said:

Or you can go with Morris Yachts, who as I recall had retractable lifeline stanchions on some of their yachts.  Never did figure out how those worked in action, stringing the lifelines and such.

If you can pay for a brand new Morris, you can pay for someone to do the deckwork.

On 12/29/2021 at 4:03 PM, Kris Cringle said:

Lifelines are a good prop for the lens. They give dimension and depth to a shot. But I've seen great shots over the leeward deck without lifelines, too. Like many things boat, you can save a lot of $$ leaving them off the design. 

1133740167_GOBMaycover.thumb.jpg.4fec6138d28cb9cd6197e2a4c513b965.jpg

What's going on with your gate stanchions? It looks like they slide out of the bases.

Actually, a fair number of modern classics have removable stanchions for day racing that are then put back on for cruising or deliveries.