Harken Rachet Blocks; 2626 (auto) vs 2136 (manual)

The ratchamatic has an adjustment screw so you can change when the ratchet engages. But I like the easy ability to just turn it off if it’s not needed. 

price and personal preference I guess

• Like 1

I have used both and like manual ratchets that you can turn off.  The problem with the auto ratchet is that they will engage if there is much pressure on the tail of the sheet.  At 8 or 10 to 1 this means that a minor butt cleat or a line draped over something that causes a minor snag is pretty hard to dislodge from the front of the boat.  Anything that slows the guy makes for slower take downs.  We used to turn off the ratchet going into a downwind mark.

8 hours ago, European Bloke said:

My experience is that autos are really nice while they're working, but fail much sooner.

Same here. All of my Autos have failed. Tired of buying replacements. Go Manual. I put the 75's on my 32 and they seem about right for the big Aso's. You may be able to get by with the 57's for Symmetrical. With the larger block, the sheets ease quicker. They still grab a 5/16 sheet too.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/27/2021 at 11:07 PM, Pokey uh da LBC said:

Any opinions on which block would work better?

If you want to find out more about the difference between Switchable and AutoRatchet's then take a look at our handy guide - https://www.allenbrothers.co.uk/2021/12/02/ratchet-blocks-switchable-vs-autoratchet/

• Like 2

57mm ratchet or ratchamatic for a spinnaker on a 30 footer is pretty borderline. With that being said, look at the specs of the two blocks. The ratchamatic has a smaller working load.

On my boat an S2 9.1 we run the heavy air/reaching sheets on a 75mm ratchet. The light air/all purpose sheets run on 57mm ratchamatics.

If your "pole on the forestay reaching" or reaching with a big A3, you'll blow the 57s up!

• Like 1