22 minutes ago, Ventucky Red said:

Do you think for a second that UA, AA, Delta, SW, Et al., are going to allow for a plane that is not currently equipped and certified to handle the 5G problem to be dispatched on a flight where the forecast may be calling for a potential Cat IIIC situation?

No. Do you think there is no potential for trouble in this? 

1 hour ago, Mark K said:

No. Do you think there is no potential for trouble in this? 

I think there is more potential for trouble with the idiots driving on the 580, 880, 680, 101, and 280 doing video calls, watching shows and/or playing games on their phones while they drive with the new 5G network.

6 hours ago, Throatwarbler-Mangrove said:

The author used to be CTO at Motorola

Meaning very, very good but also an interested party at least in the sense that he's on the phone side of the culture.

I dunno, but the few remaining memories I have from my introduction to radio filters suggest to me that this quote minimizes the potential complexity of fixing the issue: "the addition of a very low-cost component, historically a small piece of ceramic, called a filter at the antenna input to the altimeter receiver eliminates the issue of looking outside the altimeters assigned band." I have a vague recollection that filters with sharper cut-offs can introduce more artifacts into the signal which might be problematic in other parts of the device and more solid recollection that radio is a black art with many unexpected pitfalls.

2 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

This thread has way less Woody and Meat Wad than I thought it would. 

Sssshhh!  Don't tempt fate!  Leave well enough alone.....  I suppose you want Mike Wofsey to join as well???  Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over??

On 1/24/2022 at 5:08 PM, weightless said:

Meaning very, very good but also an interested party at least in the sense that he's on the phone side of the culture.

I dunno, but the few remaining memories I have from my introduction to radio filters suggest to me that this quote minimizes the potential complexity of fixing the issue: "the addition of a very low-cost component, historically a small piece of ceramic, called a filter at the antenna input to the altimeter receiver eliminates the issue of looking outside the altimeters assigned band." I have a vague recollection that filters with sharper cut-offs can introduce more artifacts into the signal which might be problematic in other parts of the device and more solid recollection that radio is a black art with many unexpected pitfalls.

Yes, this type of radar uses a swept-frequency signal and compares the difference in transmitted and received frequency, caused by propagation delay, to determine the distance (much like the newer generation of low-power, high-detail marine radars).  All filters cause a delay, and the delay of a narrow filter is often nonuniform (group delay variation).  I suppose it's possible that an added filter would require recalibration at best, and redesign at worst.  I'm sure it's do-able, but a retrofit might be problematic.

6 hours ago, valis said:

Yes, this type of radar uses a swept-frequency signal and compares the difference in transmitted and received frequency, caused by propagation delay, to determine the distance (much like the newer generation of low-power, high-detail marine radars).  All filters cause a delay, and the delay of a narrow filter is often nonuniform (group delay variation).  I suppose it's possible that an added filter would require recalibration at best, and redesign at worst.  I'm sure it's do-able, but a retrofit might be problematic.

Radar altimeters exist with adequate filters. Randomly sticking them on old ones and expecting it to work....not gonna happen.

On 1/24/2022 at 5:26 PM, Ventucky Red said:

Do you think for a second that UA, AA, Delta, SW, Et al., are going to allow for a plane that is not currently equipped and certified to handle the 5G problem to be dispatched on a flight where the forecast may be calling for a potential Cat IIIC situation?

Do you think the bureaucrats in charge of these things are actually smart enough to think that far ahead, in that level of detail?

- DSK

23 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Do you think the bureaucrats in charge of these things are actually smart enough to think that far ahead, in that level of detail?

- DSK

In the business world, there are these things called insurance companies that think to that level of detail and more. The FAA regs may say you can do X; however, the insurer that is underwriting you may say, "ya legally, you can do X, but we're going to restrict you to U."

Additionally, the airline itself, like many other industries, may have a "risk and compliance" division specifically for constant evaluation of policies and procedures to eliminate the risks of their day-to-day operations.

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

- DSK

There are plenty of people that smart in government cubicles that routinely get told to STFU when they find problems that their political-appointee bosses don't want to hear about.

12 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:
13 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

There are plenty of people that smart in government cubicles that routinely get told to STFU when they find problems that their political-appointee bosses don't want to hear about.

You're right, and it's very unfortunate for us all when they get overridden because these are the people that keep the wheels turning as well as they do (or don't).

- DSK

• 5 weeks later...

here we are not really understanding how we to implement 5G, and the vendor's plans to shut down 3G are going to crash all kinds of systems designed to us them.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/02/22/from-tesla-to-jeep-the-end-of-3g-networks-is-a-problem-for-millions-of-car-owners.html

Ain't technology great?

On 2/26/2022 at 7:08 AM, Foreverslow said:

here we are not really understanding how we to implement 5G, and the vendor's plans to shut down 3G are going to crash all kinds of systems designed to us them.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/02/22/from-tesla-to-jeep-the-end-of-3g-networks-is-a-problem-for-millions-of-car-owners.html

Ain't technology great?

I don't need my car to talk to anybody.  It was made before smart phones were a thing.  I'm doing just fine with all of that other useless shit in the car.  I'll tell you how old it is.  It has an actual key that doesn't have a battery on it!  The horror!

20 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

I don't need my car to talk to anybody.  It was made before smart phones were a thing.  I'm doing just fine with all of that other useless shit in the car.  I'll tell you how old it is.  It has an actual key that doesn't have a battery on it!  The horror!

Heh, heh, I still have a 1990 Chevy PU I use in the summer time. Same thing. When it was new it was very high tech with a built in graphic equalizer, power windows and power doorlocks. Now it's Fred Flinstone's vehicle. I love it. The best thing is the after market locking gas cap from when syphoning gas was a thing when the price got up over about $.60/ gal.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Willin' said:

Heh, heh, I still have a 1990 Chevy PU I use in the summer time. Same thing. When it was new it was very high tech with a built in graphic equalizer, power windows and power doorlocks. Now it's Fred Flinstone's vehicle. I love it. The best thing is the after market locking gas cap from when syphoning gas was a thing when the price got up over about $.60/ gal.

I have a similar situation with our 2002 Nissan XE 4x4 pickup.   It's got the extra cab with tiny jump seats which we have never used, but I keep stuff like an extra windbreaker and hat, shopping bags, and ratchet straps.  6-foot bed with plastic bed liner.  Driving around with a ton of driveway stone in the bed feels like almost nothing is back there.  Towing the boat OTOH, is noticeable.  I love the old-fashioned analog climate control knobs and the ease of slipping into 4WD when the driveway is a downhill luge track like it is now!  I did have to add aftermarket electric windows, cruise control, and ICE with a backup camera and Bluetooth. I think we have only 7,000 miles on it since purchased in Spring of 2019, right after we bought the house and realized that we NEED to have a truck on hand.    The only complaint is 16 MPG, but we don't use it enough for that to be a big deal.  My mechanic asked me how long we intended to keep this truck, and I said forever.  So, he had me get a 6-pack of Fluid Film undercoating so he could coat the shit out of everywhere that might be in danger of getting rusty down the road.  No need for a locking gas cap yet, but will keep it in mind if things get crazy.....