Just opened my 2022 WoodenBoat calendar and January is an ice boat. So, I went to YouTube and searched on Ice Yachting. It was mesmerizing. Here's one to start with. It is amazing!

1 hour ago, Bull City said:

Just opened my 2022 WoodenBoat calendar and January is an ice boat. So, I went to YouTube and searched on Ice Yachting. It was mesmerizing. Here's one to start with. It is amazing!

I think it would be awesome.  Our problem here is that we rarely get the "black ice"  that iceboating lusts after, the water freezes and then it snows, the window where the lakes are frozen deep enough to support the sailing but no snow is pretty small.  

• Like 1

It is great fun, but not unusual for us to get only a couple good days a year. You have to be willing to travel alot to find good clear ice, or live in Montana.

A friend taking my daughter out for a spin last February on our little local lake. IMG_2047.thumb.jpg.2092fb5e41709f70fb37ad0bc71d8d73.jpg

My house is now on a lake, so I can see day to day if there is good ice or not. If there is… I go ice boating.  Roaming around to find good ice, good wind and no snow is painful.   

Many years ago I tried a DN on the frozen St. Lawrence River near Montreal. Probably the most fun sailing I ever did. I have looked longingly at ads for ice boats on Craigslist, Kijiji, etc.  But where I live in Nova Scotia the ice conditions are seldom ever right for ice boating, so you have to be prepared to do a lot of driving. Cold is not a problem if you dress for it. I'd rather deal with -30 C than +30 C.

• Like 2

I've been much tempted to build one, probably using a windsurfing rig. But I do wonder - Minnesota peeps clue me in, here -- how you see ice fishing holes and the frozen pile of shavings therefrom at 50mph, and what happens when you hit one.:ph34r:

A kitewing and skates or skis would give more terrain options and be less dependent on conditions.

ETA: Better vid showing range of use.

1 hour ago, Diarmuid said:

I've been much tempted to build one, probably using a windsurfing rig. But I do wonder - Minnesota peeps clue me in, here -- how you see ice fishing holes and the frozen pile of shavings therefrom at 50mph, and what happens when you hit one.:ph34r:

From second hand experience you'll crawl to shore and get nice carbon fiber knee brace.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Diarmuid said:

But I do wonder - Minnesota peeps clue me in, here -- how you see ice fishing holes and the frozen pile of shavings therefrom at 50mph, and what happens when you hit one.

I wondered the same thing. I imagine they must do some scouting at lower speeds.

7 hours ago, Voiled said:

Iceboats were the fastest mode of human transport for more than a century.

i remember an article in wooden boat (?) years ago about ice boats and their history...they talked about HUUUUUGE ice boats on the Hudson River and speeds in excess of 100mph, if i recall correctly.

6 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

A kitewing and skates or skis would give more terrain options and be less dependent on conditions.

ETA: Better vid showing range of use.

https://www.wissa.org/  the world ice and snow sailing championships were in saskatchewan in 2001.  the site says at cedar lake...it was on blackstrap lake 20 minutes south of the city.  it was a modest affair with maybe 20 people their but there were Finns and Quebecers and a couple of guys from Poland!  the rigs were a wild collection of mostly home engineered and adapted gear.  My buddy had his windsurfer on skates, there was a couple of DN's and a few guys on skis strapped to kites...i think the whole kite thing has evolved since then.  There was a local with a 3 corner "boat" with snowboards as skis, he claimed to be able to sail across stubble fields and pastures if the wind got up!

23 hours ago, chester said:

i remember an article in wooden boat (?) years ago about ice boats and their history...they talked about HUUUUUGE ice boats on the Hudson River and speeds in excess of 100mph, if i recall correctly.

Iceboating was big on the Finger Lakes (NY) where I grew up. Classic Skeeters were the ticket, for the rich kids. Those things could fly. Buddy Melges raced one in the Midwest.

Not sure the lake even freezes solid these days.

On 1/2/2022 at 6:52 PM, chester said:

I got a ride on one of those big Hudson River beasts some years ago. I guess these days it’s pretty rare to have the appropriate conditions. 

What I would really like to do is get a ride on a Scooter iceboat, native to Long Island’s Great South Bay. I’ve never seen one in the flesh.

15B12825-13B9-44AE-B6CE-BEA486A29166.jpeg

B1B0FBD8-EDB3-4FBD-870A-D299F33503E6.jpeg

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Voiled said:

The bottom picture is from 1611 by Adam van Breen weirdly i can't find anything about the location of this scene. It's in The Netherlands most important national art museum and things like these are pretty well documented most of the time.

He worked mostly in Amsterdam and the Hague. Oslo, too, but this scene is clearly the Netherlands. I went looking for a civic building like the one shown on the right, but there's every chance the occupying Spanish burned it down.<_< (Just finished H. Rider Haggard's Lysbeth.)

Looks like fun but like mountain biking, finding the right conditions would seemingly be a pain. (Around here, I never read about the fellows riding on their mountain biking trail but it seems that every week they are asking for volunteers to come work on it.)  

33 minutes ago, Santanasailor said:

Looks like fun but like mountain biking, finding the right conditions would seemingly be a pain. (Around here, I never read about the fellows riding on their mountain biking trail but it seems that every week they are asking for volunteers to come work on it.)  

I think they are making a desperate plea for new blood to show up with beer.

• Like 1
On 1/7/2022 at 10:39 AM, Grizz said:

I got a ride on one of those big Hudson River beasts some years ago. I guess these days it’s pretty rare to have the appropriate conditions. 

What I would really like to do is get a ride on a Scooter iceboat, native to Long Island’s Great South Bay. I’ve never seen one in the flesh.

15B12825-13B9-44AE-B6CE-BEA486A29166.jpeg

B1B0FBD8-EDB3-4FBD-870A-D299F33503E6.jpeg

sweet!!

On 1/7/2022 at 11:26 AM, Voiled said:

The bottom picture is from 1611 by Adam van Breen weirdly i can't find anything about the location of this scene. It's in The Netherlands most important national art museum and things like these are pretty well documented most of the time.

Some "IJsschuiten" are preserved in museums and only a few are preserved and still actively sailed

Although none of these resemble the schuit in the painting, here's picture of the complete collection of the single most prominent association still sailing historical ice yachts:

Vlootdef-892x560.jpg

Edit, as this is an ice yachting on youtube thread:

hmmmm, build cradle for any old dingy and a 3 point frame on skates...why not?

1 hour ago, chester said:

hmmmm, build cradle for any old dingy and a 3 point frame on skates...why not?

I have often thought of pushing the boat, on its cradle put onto the winter ice, ready for "auto launch" in yhe spring

There is a great discussion about the mast bend on the DNA at the beginning of this thread.  Not sure where the thread drifted to after that.

• 2 weeks later...

Everybody knows REAL ice boats are steered from the STERN!

Classic.  Iron men with icey hearts.

qzdqoim4jhf81.jpg

Modern.  A gentleman never steers from the bow.

Taku-2007-Northwest1.jpg

One of those typical winter wonderland moments, where everybody is convinced somebody is doing it wrong.

dwane-mckinney-iceboat-freighter3.jpg

Who needs bikini's & beaches to have fun.