Italian Flat earthers sell car and attempt to sail to the edge of the world during COVID.

I have never been more disappointed in someone NOT having a YouTube channel I could find.  A good laugh after a tiring day though!

https://www.iflscience.com/editors-blog/flat-earthers-attempt-to-get-to-the-edge-of-the-world-ends-in-massive-disappointment/

So far, not a single flat-Earther has been able to find any proof, which should tell you something about whether the theory has merit, even if you discount all the evidence that Earth is indeed round as a global conspiracy that only YouTuber "GlobeEarthCuck1848174" has seen through.  

Despite Italy's lockdown, a couple from Venice recently set out to prove Earth's flatness once and for all by sailing to the edge of the world, which they believed to be somewhere near Sicily. It's amazing how people who live locally never visit famous tourist attractions, like the leaning tower of Piza or the edge of the Earth where the sea meets the infinite void.

"The two left the Veneto during the lockdown for Lampedusa, violating all restrictions," Salvatore Zichichi of the Maritime Health Office of the Ministry of Health told Italian newspaper La Stampa. "In Termini Imerese they sold their car and bought a boat."

"For them, Lampedusa [an island of the Italian Pelagie Islands in the Mediterranean Sea] was the end of the Earth."

https://www.newsweek.com/flat-earthers-quarantined-wrong-route-trying-find-end-world-1528943

Salvatore Zichichi, a doctor of the maritime health office of the Ministry of Health who helped the pair after they got lost, pointed out that they were using a compass to help them navigate and said: "The funny thing is that they orient themselves with the compass, an instrument that works on the basis of terrestrial magnetism, a principle that they, as flat-earthers, should reject."

The explorers were taken to quarantine. They tried to escape and return to the sea but were again stopped and taken back to quarantine. A few days later, they tried to escape again but were unsuccessful.

• Startracker changed the title to Italian Flat earthers sell car and attempt to sail to the edge of the world during COVID.

This story is obviously false because this forum has clearly established that this level of stupidity is reserved exclusively for Americans and no one else. 

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, Voiled said:
3 hours ago, Ajax said:

This story is obviously false because this forum has clearly established that this level of stupidity is reserved exclusively for Americans and no one else.

I wonder if false feelings of victimhood correlate with absurd defense budgets.

I guess that spending some of your formative years circling the world equipped to blow up the world is likely to lead to some odd perspectives, since just doing it requires some intense mental contortions to avoid the onset of painful cognitive dissonance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voiled said:

I wonder if false feelings of victimhood correlate with absurd defense budgets.

Or maybe it provides others with a sense of superiority to hide behind, being a country that still holds on to its colonies, fought colonial wars after WWII without irony and placed limpet mines on the Rainbow Warrior so it could set off a nuclear test and keep hanging with the big boys.  

At least Tom Lehrer is funny. 

20 minutes ago, Elegua said:

Or maybe it provides others with a sense of superiority to hide behind, being a country that still holds on to its colonies, fought colonial wars after WWII without irony and placed limpet mines on the Rainbow Warrior so it could set off a nuclear test and keep hanging with the big boys. 

6 minutes ago, Voiled said:

I'm Dutch, that bomb killed a fellow Portuguese/Dutch photographer.

Ouch. 

Here you go, Elegua: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_burn_centers_in_the_United_States

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Voiled said:

I'm Dutch, that bomb on the Rainbow Warrior killed a fellow Portuguese/Dutch photographer.

Oh, ok. Sorry for that. That said, the Dutch did a similar thing right after the war in Indonesia during the revolution as as a member of NATO, those bombs were your bombs. 

To avoid any more politicization, since we're on a Tom Lehrer kick...I suggest..

28 minutes ago, Elegua said:

France's nuclear bomb programme is ugly, like any such programme.  La Force de Frappe's most outrageous episode was probably not the Rainbow Warrior murders, but the Hades missile saga in the late 80s, which was basically targeted at West Germany and used as leverage in some EU negotiation.  On joue le hardball.

But to be fair to France, it never actually dropped a nuke on people.  Only one country has ever done that.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Zonker said:

Should have let them go and try to find the edge. Just point out to sea and say "Oh, it's that way...."

The best part was their opinion was that the edge was close by, @dylan winter sails beyond it.  I would have chuckled if they made it as far as where he sails. Then what?  What do you do when you're over the edge of the world?  

I wonder if someone closer with a boat could take them for a trip.  If was I closer I might offer.  Lol. 

From what I know all flat earthers believe it is round. Why? Could be square, rectangle, trapezoidal or any number of shapes.  In any case no matter what the edge is to reach it every direction will get you there although some will take longer than others. 

Now, why does the edge(s) always seem to be water, what is wrong with a barren desert, mountain range even a nice swamp?   These things are some of what I wonder about and why I get so few invites to parties.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, AnIdiot said:

Nah, he's not French, and that is my mistake, but he hides behind the same veil of false superiority.  After being occupied, the Dutch unironically held on to Indonesia until '49 and deployed the same tactics as the French did in Algeria. 

1 minute ago, d'ranger said:

Now, why does the edge(s) always seem to be water, what is wrong with a barren desert, mountain range even a nice swamp?  

If there is an edge where there is water, and the water doesn't flow over that edge, then there must be a wall.   I want to know:

1. Is it a low wall, like an infinity pool? Or a high wall, like a fish tank?
  2. The best people at building and maintaining walls to keep water in place are the Dutch.  Did they get the contract for the edge-of-world wall?
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, TwoLegged said:

France's nuclear bomb programme is ugly, like any such programme.  La Force de Frappe's most outrageous episode was probably not the Rainbow Warrior murders, but the Hades missile saga in the late 80s, which was basically targeted at West Germany and used as leverage in some EU negotiation.  On joue le hardball.

But to be fair to France, it never actually dropped a nuke on people.  Only one country has ever done that.

True, but there was a war on, whereas the French only had colonials or NATO to drop bombs on afterwards. 

I know, WWII is a bit far way for the Irish...

1 minute ago, Elegua said:
7 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

True, but there was a war on, whereas the French only had colonials or NATO to drop bombs on afterwards. 

Hmmm.  The idea that WMD are OK when there is a war on was not so popular in Murica 19 years ago, when somebody else allegedly held that idea.

I didn't expect to see Elegua agreeing with Saddam, but life is full of surprises.

1 minute ago, TwoLegged said:

Hmmm.  The idea that WMD are OK when there is a war on was not so popular in Murica 19 years ago, when somebody else allegedly held that idea.

I didn't expect to see Elegua agreeing with Saddam, but life is full of surprises.

Similar to you agreeing that Ireland rightfully belongs to the UK.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

If there is an edge where there is water, and the water doesn't flow over that edge, then there must be a wall.   I want to know:

2. The best people at building and maintaining walls to keep water in place are the Dutch.  Did they get the contract for the edge-of-world wall?

They get my vote although they seem to specialize in keeping water out whereas this requires keeping it in? 

This thread inspired me to write a script for a movie:  Escape From PA.   There is no escape as all threads seem to wind up there without actually getting there, its like the ends of the earth in virtual reality. I think Kurt Russel will be interested as he hasn't done much lately.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Elegua said:
10 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

Similar to you agreeing that Ireland rightfully belongs to the UK.

False analogy.

You defended use of WMD 'cos there was a war on.  That was also Saddam's stance, tho he backed down even before he was attacked.

• Like 1

The Earth it flat, surrounded by a wall to keep the water out - of the ring outside it where the intelligent life lives. The dike keeps the water and the cesspool pond life (humans) contained so the can do little damage other that to themselves. I have proof of this but none of you would understand.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Voiled said:

I'm puzzled about what that has to do with a false sense of victimhood. Also,the vast majority of my countrymen is totally appalled by those actions.

On  those current western colonies in the pacific you seem so bothered about:

US.EEZ_Pacific_centered_NOAA_map.png

Well, being appalled is a nice thought and all....

Some of those listed are states, some are uninhabited, most are self-governing.  

Here's a primer. 

51 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

False analogy.

You defended use of WMD 'cos there was a war on.  That was also Saddam's stance, tho he backed down even before he was attacked.

Chalk and cheese. I did, as an alternative to invasion to compel Japan to surrender after engaging in four years of total war and the rejection of conditional surrender.  In war, like other things, there is proportionality.  It's harder to argue that Saddam met that threshold. That's why France has not used its nuclear weapons in it's colonial wars or on NATO. Nothing since WW2 has met that threshold. 

1 hour ago, TwoLegged said:

In fact there is a net.  Built by Krullian salvagers.  Don't you study geography?

51O5NgVFtLL._SL350_.jpg

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Voiled said:

Shsss, it's a plot by the global elite with it's main office in the The Hague. The arctic wall let's us control global sea water levels. So not only we got the contract for the Ice Wall but also we vary sea levels as to get contracts around the rest of the world to combat the effects of these changes.

So we are, in fact, a One-World Polder? That's strangely reassuring.

Really, the physics of a flat earth have been long sorted out. Hub at the middle where the gods live. Compasses point there. Ocean falls over the edge & is recycled as rain by ... magic of some kind. Then four elephants, then a giant turtle. If anyone asks what the turtle stands on, the withering reply is "It's turtles all the way down!"

https://www.abc.net.au/news/image/6312226-3x2-940x627.jpg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, DDW said:

The Earth it flat, surrounded by a wall to keep the water out - of the ring outside it where the intelligent life lives. The dike keeps the water and the cesspool pond life (humans) contained so the can do little damage other that to themselves. I have proof of this but none of you would understand.

So basically, we live in a hog farm sewage lagoon.

*looks around*

Do you have a brochure I could take home and study?

All these people that keep the lie alive about the earth being round.  Well if it was round, how could a level work.  It would have too curve but no, its level.  Now, these are the same people that tell us that everything is made of little bitty tiny bits they call atoms.  If the world was really made of little itty bitty teeny bits called atoms, I could stick my hand right though steel just like I can stick my hand through sand

Don’t believe them, next thing they will tell you is that we can fly to Mars and live there.  Since the earth is the middle of the universe, why would we want to go elsewhere.

OBTW, I still have this bridge for sale in London, England.  Good price on the bridge; call me.

• Like 1
On 1/4/2022 at 12:02 PM, Diarmuid said:

So we are, in fact, a One-World Polder? That's strangely reassuring.

Really, the physics of a flat earth have been long sorted out. Hub at the middle where the gods live. Compasses point there. Ocean falls over the edge & is recycled as rain by ... magic of some kind. Then four elephants, then a giant turtle. If anyone asks what the turtle stands on, the withering reply is "It's turtles all the way down!"

https://www.abc.net.au/news/image/6312226-3x2-940x627.jpg

Those are some pretty tough looking Tuskers holding us up. Don’t make them mad. Elephants have a serious reputation of converting humans into grease spots.  Can’t imagine how good a job those four fellows could do.

There's an educational/amusing vid about this dude, he has so many Klein Bottles he has to store them under his floor. The space under his floor is very low so he build a little robot to retrieve them when he sells one.

• Like 1