Jump to content

RORC Transatlantic Race.. 8 Jan


Recommended Posts

Looks like this might be interesting to watch...  several multihulls, including a new one:  American Gunboat 68 Tosca, which includes Alex Thomson and Neal McDonald on the crew list.

Comanche leading the monohulls (can they beat the race record?).

Nice to see two handed too- can Jangada repeat 2019 success?

http://rorctransatlantic.rorc.org/race-updates/battle-lines-drawn-for-rorc-transatlantic-race.html

 

Full entry list http://rorctransatlantic.rorc.org/entries/entries-2022.html

Tracker http://rorctransatlantic.rorc.org/tracking/2022-fleet-tracking.html

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, jhc said:

A mid latitude low will wreak havoc on this event.

I feel like I just read a fortune cookie.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jhc said:

A mid latitude low will wreak havoc on this event.

What routing software are you using, or is it just your huge geography?

I do see a bit of a low with no wind that might wreak havoc with their minds though.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Screenshot_20220107-202333.thumb.png.7f86be0f79d97a005c8f5a2b7377f789.png

You see what I mean!

This is only a snapshot, but anyway not gonebe easy to sail around this trough, not even by the fast multis or Comanche. Maybe best to try and punch right through it. Interesting...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Was a rather cool Instagram story from Comanche looking at Tosca sailing in close company, was impressed with the speed of Tosca considering they had a dingy out back still. 

Whats the story with Ultim' Emotion 2? Did they not make the start? They seem a fair way behind everyone. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, vokstar said:

 

Whats the story with Ultim' Emotion 2? Did they not make the start? They seem a fair way behind everyone. 

They had a "technical problem". Had to send a crew member up the mast, so had to take shelter behind one of the islands  for this procedure.  They said it was all sorted now.

 

Some good speeds from the MOCRAs (at times). I'll be interested to hear how Giles Scott gets on on Powerplay- a big leap from sailing AC75s and dinghys...

 Looks a very unstable weather pattern- every time I look the forecast looks different. Good look to the navigators!

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Can't find a multi start vid...?

The YC for the start had a FB Live vid.  Commentary was decent but footage seemed to be flipping between a couple random amateurs with iphones or something...  They missed the multi start entirely.  Commentator mentioned that they had started, but footage was showing something else.  The video is 30-40 minutes long if you find it.  I had it on over breakfast and it entertained my 2-year-old, so I didn't mind how awful the footage was...  But the highlights of it (if you want to skip through it) were the mono start and a handful of brief shots of big boats going fast.  The rest was mostly jumbled shots of boats appearing aimless pre-start, etc.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, yl75 said:

If the gunboat 68 doesn't make it ahead of the ORC50s (TS52s) , will be a bit of a shame ..

It is quite fun that the GB68 still is taking it's tender along for the ride...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vokstar said:

It is quite fun that the GB68 still is taking it's tender along for the ride...

With the tender onboard still this would suggest they haven't done much in terms of stripping the weight out of the interior - maybe they're just treating it as a 'racing' delivery? When I did the C600 on a 66 we had everything down to toilet roll holders unscrewed and in the container.....

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NZK said:

With the tender onboard still this would suggest they haven't done much in terms of stripping the weight out of the interior - maybe they're just treating it as a 'racing' delivery? When I did the C600 on a 66 we had everything down to toilet roll holders unscrewed and in the container.....

 

I'm sure the freeze dried on the boat is for emergencies only too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, bushsailor said:

Powerplay seems to be in another league compared to the other tris, faster and deeper. Anyone know what they have done to achieve that?

 

Yeah, they didn’t change a proven foil configuration. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, OPAL said:

RORC Transat Start Lanzarote-Granada.Comanche, Power Play. 30 Yachts

 

Ha! People keep complaining about the Sydney-Hobart coverage, but wtf is THIS?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope the tracker is wrong otherwise the Gunboat looks like it ran into a bit of trouble.  

Snapshot of 21:00 UTC.   Jan 10.

Just went and played the tracker back.  Tosca been heading that way since 18:05 UTC.

86145396_ScreenShot2022-01-10at4_57_42PM.thumb.png.920be03fabf9857b12021980c1ff7c56.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

In the light they will be lucky if they gybe or tack through 180°, and that wide bodied luxury tank must then be excruciating slow. Who cares, apart from no freeze dried food, they will not waste alcohol in their stove either.

Hopefully they will still get to Grenada in time to hide any female stowaways before the wives arrive.

Just glancing at the weather, it would seem that going more North and picking up that nice northerly is still a good option, for some at least.

 

Edited by Fiji Bitter
Going more North
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, NZK said:

With the tender onboard still this would suggest they haven't done much in terms of stripping the weight out of the interior - maybe they're just treating it as a 'racing' delivery? When I did the C600 on a 66 we had everything down to toilet roll holders unscrewed and in the container.....

 

Considering the crew they have onboard it is a little surprising they didn't take the weight out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Snowden said:

Gybed to go "Great Circle" over the top of the ridge? Don't look to be reaching back to land so hopefully no issue on board.

Seems right but right now they look like they are sailing almost 180 degrees from where they want to go!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, robalex117 said:

Hope the tracker is wrong otherwise the Gunboat looks like it ran into a bit of trouble.  

Snapshot of 21:00 UTC.   Jan 10.

Just went and played the tracker back.  Tosca been heading that way since 18:05 UTC.

86145396_ScreenShot2022-01-10at4_57_42PM.thumb.png.920be03fabf9857b12021980c1ff7c56.png

I'm guessing they are going home with a heading like 28 deg

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vokstar said:

Tosca's track seems like they are being sailed by a Tossa. (unless they are having issues and that jape doesn't age well...) 

2022-01-11_184348.jpg

Headed for the Azores I guess. Alex Thompson is known for flyers, but that track is odd even for him! 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, yl75 said:

No info at all on what has happened ?

Wondering the same, not much word from the RORC or Alex on Instagram where updates, to this point, were frequent. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

there has probably been lots of discussion on this matter...especially from doug lord, but, should maserati go back to more of a traditional mod 70?maybe its just me, but it seems to never be as capable of winning these sorts of events against the other mod's. event after event, they seem to not be able to get line honors against them. sure, there may be the occasional nut, but man, they are never leading with the "foiling" capabilities.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, yl75 said:

No info at all on what has happened ?

Charging issues I believe

2 hours ago, full circle said:

there has probably been lots of discussion on this matter...especially from doug lord, but, should maserati go back to more of a traditional mod 70?maybe its just me, but it seems to never be as capable of winning these sorts of events against the other mod's. event after event, they seem to not be able to get line honors against them. sure, there may be the occasional nut, but man, they are never leading with the "foiling" capabilities.

I have to agree.... Gio sails more miles than anyone but he has not got speed it seems

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Another reminder that flat out ballistic inshore on flat water does not necessarily translate to all round offshore performance where a simple but slippery solution will still be competitive.

We've seen it recently in the Mini Transat where simple but powerful overcame full foiling capability. Only the Imocas (with their big budgets) and even the Ultimes with their stratospheric budgets are only now cracking the problem of how to do it.

It will come but not at the pace (or budgets) that the fan boys want. 

Gio has given it fair shake of the sauce bottle for not much return to Maserati in terms of actual meaningful results.

Also highlights how fundamentally good the MOD70's are as a standard platform.......

Shame that the class never got to critical mass and sustainability.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well,

Who's in the Azores, that can run down and see whats broken on the big cat ?

Bring your phone take some pics... ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like whenever there's news about a Gunboat, it's because something went wrong.  So I'm wondering...  Are they prone to problems, or is it just that there isn't much newsworthy until something goes wrong?

I like Eugenia's move, southing to the trades.  It'll be interesting to see how that plays out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The 68 is still a relatively new design and due to all the shenanigans of the last couple years they probably haven't done as much sailing with them as they would like to iron out the kinks. It will be interesting to see what the problem was though. 

But back to racing... Comanche has lost the lead.. but weirdly they are 4th on line honours and L4 that now looks like leading is in 5th

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Seems like whenever there's news about a Gunboat, it's because something went wrong.  So I'm wondering...  Are they prone to problems, or is it just that there isn't much newsworthy until something goes wrong?

GB seems to attract most interest when there are issues - I think the chequered history has a big part to play in this, people are always waiting for the next instalment in the soap opera. Once launched, most of the Gunboats go about their business as family orientated cruisers, exactly as they were intended, and as such don't attract much attention. There are a couple that are more active in the racing circuit but they're never going to be challenging for line honours or records so don't get the big press noise. 

Tosca (68 no.4) hasn't, afaik, done a huge amount of sailing since it was launched last year so pushing out into the Atlantic with a couple of IMOCA sailors onboard has likely it's biggest test to date. 

Trifork are looking like they've called a blinder at the moment, big downwind ride back onto the rumb line with all foils engaged...

Pretty tough 24 hours coming up for Black Pearl and that pack, headwinds on a East-West transat! Looks like some are going to try and follow Trifork's lead and skirt round the top of that low pressure. 

Anyone know what's up with Ultime Emotion 2?? They never seemed to actually get going...

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, vokstar said:

Comanche has lost the lead.. but weirdly they are 4th on line honours and L4 that now looks like leading is in 5th

Comanche is 1st monohull still but the tracker is showing line honours with all boats in the one category.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Charging issues I believe

I have to agree.... Gio sails more miles than anyone but he has not got speed it seems

Electrical issues confirmed in Ken Howrey’s update on Instagram. Sounds like they were taking on “some water” which affected their electrical system. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Wemedge said:

Electrical issues confirmed in Ken Howrey’s update on Instagram. Sounds like they were taking on “some water” which affected their electrical system. 

Not being able to "fix"(at least the basic stuff) that on the way is really strange, but is it  really a race ..

Is he the owner of the boat ?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Very curious to watch Eugenia V's route.  I think they may need to go as far south as 11N before going West of the Cape Verde islands for it to work.  If they do that, with their rating, they could have a very pleasant sail while maybe doing quite well (jury is out on whether or not the extra distance will be worth it).  If they chicken out and turn West too soon, they'll bobble around for days.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Boink said:

Another reminder that flat out ballistic inshore on flat water does not necessarily translate to all round offshore performance where a simple but slippery solution will still be competitive.

We've seen it recently in the Mini Transat where simple but powerful overcame full foiling capability. Only the Imocas (with their big budgets) and even the Ultimes with their stratospheric budgets are only now cracking the problem of how to do it.

It will come but not at the pace (or budgets) that the fan boys want. 

Gio has given it fair shake of the sauce bottle for not much return to Maserati in terms of actual meaningful results.

Also highlights how fundamentally good the MOD70's are as a standard platform.......

Shame that the class never got to critical mass and sustainability.

And just like that Gio sails the best 24h of the mods by sailing further south... and now in 2nd.... go Gio

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, yl75 said:

Not being able to "fix"(at least the basic stuff) that on the way is really strange, but is it  really a race ..

Is he the owner of the boat ?

 

I guess you don't sea-trial a new boat anymore,  before you head offshore... :mellow:

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, full circle said:

black pearl - broken mast!

 

ugh - long way to go without a full mast. and, didn't seem to be anything unusual around them...weather wise. bummer. glad they are all okay.

Fuck - that's gutting for the BP boys. That boat hasn't exactly had the best record since it launched. That's going to be a long drag back home. 

32 minutes ago, Keith said:

 

I guess you don't sea-trial a new boat anymore,  before you head offshore... :mellow:

To be fair I think there's a difference between sea-trialling and having a bunch of IMOCA sailors jump on send it full noise across an ocean That boat did a full commissioning programme out of the GB base and then spent the summer sailing the French and Italian coasts. Still a disappointing result for them. 

 

12 hours ago, yl75 said:

Not being able to "fix"(at least the basic stuff) that on the way is really strange, but is it  really a race ..

Is he the owner of the boat ?

From what I've heard it was a bit more than just a few wet contacts to try and fix. And I'm not 100% certain but I think Ken Howery, who I had to Google to learn is one of the co-founders of Paypal, is the new owner of Tosca - I don't think he built it. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think she's fixed now. They're heading over to the Caribbean at the end of this month. Both her and Comanche are signed up for the C600.

5 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

What's broken.?

 

They had keel ram issues. Pretty sure it's fixed now. They're heading over to the Caribbean at the end of this month. Both her and Comanche are signed up for the C600.

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, full circle said:

eugenia is not looking good, and the next couple of days looks grim for them.

Yeah...  My optimism about their plan fell apart today.  They tried to cut the corner too much, got into some light stuff, and in the meantime the forecast for the entire rest of the fleet on rhumb solidified.  At least they'll have a pleasant sail on a nice boat.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought Powerplay may have had an issue as well.

They have been sailing 4 knots slower than the other 2 for 2 days.

Interesting to see if the volvo 70 can get down into the trades and consolidate there position.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Every time I have checked Comanche's speed on the Tracker (Last 2 days checked a few times) it says they are doing 14.5 knots.? How often is the tracker updated?

I've found it doesn't update very often at all, maybe every hour or two, they have a time up the top when it was updated. 

2022-01-14_141133.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Always amazing how the MOD 70s are so closely matched... WFD.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, bushsailor said:

I thought Powerplay may have had an issue as well.

They have been sailing 4 knots slower than the other 2 for 2 days.

Interesting to see if the volvo 70 can get down into the trades and consolidate there position.

It seems like Powerplay are sailing shorter distances so managing to stay in touch with the two foiling boats which look to be taking advantage of the more stable trade conditions to maximise their speed advantage. Will be interesting how the last day or so play out...

It'd be awesome if Trifork can hang on and challenge for the overall win - they're a decent bunch and running a relatively modest programme by big boat standards. It does look like the smaller boats further back are going to be getting more stable trade winds from now on so they'll likely be back on the rumb-line and looking for a strong second half. Plenty of them looking set to ruin Triforks parade

Also the two 52s are still doing a solid job of hanging with the other V65s and 70s. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just read this update from Maserati/Giovanni;

We just crossed paths with Argo again, they gybed on our bow. We’re now sailing on starboard tack, on the side with no rudder: it was knocked out a few miles after the start. We learned that Argo has a broken rudder as well for the same reason, the fact that two out of three MOD 70s hit unidentified floating objects is worrying.

We’re not less than 850 miles from the finish line and the distance between us keeps shrinking: PowerPlay is still in the lead, with just 10 miles of advantage over Argo, back in second place, and we’re stalking them 5 miles behind.

 

So both of the foiling 70s are missing a rudder. That's gonna be stressful.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, only just noted the MOCRA ratings;

Powerplay: 2.229 

Argo: 2.206

Maserati: 2.198

So what has Powerplay done to rate quicker than both the foilers? Have they turbo'd the rig?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazing how Argo and Maserati can keep racing competitively even with damage to one of their rudders.

If they were a mono hull, well, they would probably be out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NZK said:

Also, only just noted the MOCRA ratings;

Powerplay: 2.229 

Argo: 2.206

Maserati: 2.198

So what has Powerplay done to rate quicker than both the foilers? Have they turbo'd the rig?

I also find  it interesting that Powerplay rates faster but the other boats are foiling.   You would think it would be the other way around.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Keith said:

Amazing how Argo and Maserati can keep racing competitively even with damage to one of their rudders.

If they were a mono hull, well, they would probably be out. 

Pip Hare would like a word ;-)

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Broken rudders on Argo and Maserati would explain why Powerplay was pulling away easily on the first day.

Now that the boats are running into the finish on Starboard tack it is all pretty even.

Although Maserati have set themselves up for a straight run to the finish in plenty of pressure they have to sail through the lee of Barbados which is a pretty high island.

It will be an interesting finish, Powerplay or Maserati for line honours??

You would think that the rudder system on the floats would have some sort of emergency kick up system.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, bushsailor said:

Broken rudders on Argo and Maserati would explain why Powerplay was pulling away easily on the first day...

...You would think that the rudder system on the floats would have some sort of emergency kick up system.

They do, see the photo below. But Giovani said on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/p/CYr0Epxte-8/) that it was a 'big accident' and although the 'safety fuse' let go "it wasn't enough and the object continued to drag on the rudder foil wing so much that the bushings broke".

It was also then quite risky and intense sailing on starboard tack with only the centre rudder in the water. If/when the centre hull flies too much that would leave them with no rudder in the water and at risk of a capsize.

 

But now they are on the port tack layline all the way to the finish so they can use both the centre and starboard rudders to maximum effect.

In any case it seems likes it's going to be an awesome finish, especially if Maserati's lead is reduced as the boats pass different sides of Barbados.

Maserati will have a hotter angle coming in though as well as be the leeward boat if they end up being that close.

 

Current photo from their Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/giovannisoldini) showing the damaged port rudder retracted and tilted clear.

271900529_463559008470161_18661668788222

 

Old photo to indicate the centre hull flying and the centre rudder alomost out of the water:

MASERATI-%C2%AEJamesMitchell-MIT28496-98

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

After the latest update to the tracker it seems that Maserati haven't suffered too much in the lee (yet).

Power Play is sailing very close to the windward side of Barbados, aiming for the absolute shortest course/distance to the finish by the looks of it.

Argo is still going even more south of the rhumbline, looking like they are trying to stay on the edge of just a bit more pressure, which according to Windy will fill in and carry them to Grenada. But they may need to put in another gybe, which would put them onto starboard tack vs the other two boats on port tack, unless this extra pressure will allow them to bear off enough again.

Maserati may have a couple of slightly lighter patches to negotiate half way between Barbados and Grenada, so some of their lead may be eaten up.

What a finish this is going to be! Pity that it will be in the middle of the night in Grenada though.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The next latest update to the tracker has pretty much played out as I thought it might.

Maserati's lead has been not quite halved, but they still have a hotter angle to the finish which may advantage them.

Argo has already gybed back, but is now in third place and I guess hoping that the extra pressure that they were chasing will resolve that.

Power Play is in the middle and almost on the Rhumbline.

 

Currently the tracker is predicting that Maserati will win by 5 minutes, so it seems like it will indeed be very close with around 5 hours to go still.

However I think the next tracker update will give a better picture. Maserati should be clear of any effects from Barbados, Argo will be back up to speed, and all three boats will be converging close to the rhumbline.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done Maserati.... :)

Even with a broken rudder, they pull it off!!!!

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Keith said:

Well done Maserati.... :)

Even with a broken rudder, they pull it off!!!!

This is awesome - such close racing and a great result for Gio and Maserati.

Following their social media over the past year or so you often see Gio and his small full-time crew doing quite major work themselves under a crappy tarpaulin strung between two containers in some random gravel parking lot. Compare that to Argo who have had, just for one example, one of the highest profile Newport rigging companies change out EVERY piece of hardware and fixing, bolt etc in the rig to titanium to save weight and it makes this win even more impressive and kinda satisfying. To be clear - this is nothing against the Argo team, just an anecdote/reflection on the difference between the various campaigns with Gio's being more of the 'journeyman' approach.

 

  • Like 10
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2022 at 9:21 PM, Rushman said:

Comanche is 1st monohull still but the tracker is showing line honours with all boats in the one category.

As it should be - line honours is line honours - not line honours for a subset of boats.  

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Factor said:

As it should be - line honours is line honours - not line honours for a subset of boats.  

 

No argument from me, it was just to clarify that the tracker reporting had changed

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2022 at 3:47 AM, Keith said:

Amazing how Argo and Maserati can keep racing competitively even with damage to one of their rudders.

If they were a mono hull, well, they would probably be out. 

Most mono's only have one rudder, pretty simple reason why. With the Multi's when they gybe or tack they can lift the damaged rudder and often undergo repairs. Comanche won the Sydney to Hobart one year with one of their daggerboards broken. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Huge wraps to Comanche for breaking the Race Record thats another one under her belt. A lot of people said the boat was nothing special for a Mono and a waste of money, well I think this boat is something special and will keep breaking race records let alone beating boats like Skorpios which is 125 feet. Big wraps to Mitch Booth who has stayed with the boat and they broke the Transatlantic Race Record without Stan Honey on board.! :D

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Huge wraps to Comanche for breaking the Race Record thats another one under her belt. A lot of people said the boat was nothing special for a Mono and a waste of money, well I think this boat is something special and will keep breaking race records let alone beating boats like Skorpios which is 125 feet. Big wraps to Mitch Booth who has stayed with the boat and they broke the Transatlantic Race Record without Stan Honey on board.! :D

who had the previous mono record?

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, The Weatherman said:

My Song… sadly lost on the way back

Not quite lost, more like went over the side and into a coma, a Sad Song...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bigrpowr said:

who had the previous mono record?

Mysong?  But Comanche did it in just over 7 days and "TOOK 2 DAYS OFF THE RECORD" .!   2 days off a 7 day record is mind blowing. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Mysong?  But Comanche did it in just over 7 days and "TOOK 2 DAYS OFF THE RECORD" .!   2 days off a 7 day record is mind blowing. 

to be fair My Song and Comanche are very different beasts. My Song was a fully equipped superyacht, 'light' by equivalent superyacht standards but still a bus compared to Comanche. That record was pretty much just waiting to be broken.

1 hour ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Not quite lost, more like went over the side and into a coma, a Sad Song...

 

Not sure 'coma' best describes being put through an industrial shredder and sent to landfill. Definitely a Sad Song though....

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, vokstar said:

Tosca is back in the game, sounds like they could've continued but thought it was best to fix the problem rather than carry on, can't really diss them for that. On Alex's instagram account has some details and short vid about them being back in the race. 

https://www.instagram.com/alex_thomson_racing/

For those of us that are not on instagram .

What was the issue that they had to stop and repair ?

Thanks

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone know which boats have symmetrical kites?  I'm guessing just a handful of the IRC1 boats...  Most of the fleet will be doing DDW most of the way home.  A symmetrical could come in handy.

Eugenia might also be able to climb out of DFL.  Might be able to maintain a nice angle all the way in without any gybes or even sailchanges.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Anyone know which boats have symmetrical kites?  I'm guessing just a handful of the IRC1 boats...  Most of the fleet will be doing DDW most of the way home.  A symmetrical could come in handy.

Eugenia might also be able to climb out of DFL.  Might be able to maintain a nice angle all the way in without any gybes or even sailchanges.  

It’s a race , DDW ?
all the boats are sailing jibe angles

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, slug zitski said:

It’s a race , DDW ?
all the boats are sailing jibe angles

Sorry, I didn't mean strictly exactly DDW.  I meant the straight line to the finish will be close to DDW for most of the fleet most of the way to the finish.  So being able to sail a deep angle