The only hull actually built to the missing 2010 Etchells Mould 11 build-to CAD solid !

• Like 4
52 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

Some boat out of Denmark like 45 years ago had a bulbous bow. I think Elvstrøm was attached to the project in some manner.

Yes, the Coronet Elvstrom 38.  But it had a large pilothouse.  I suspect Jan Kjaerulff had a hand in the design since I believe he was instrumental in the design of Prince Alfred, the Aussie 6mR with a similar bulbous bow;

Elvstrom 3.jpg

PA 1.jpg

Didn't work - that's why you don't see them.

Apparently those bulbs have to be "tuned" for a quite specific speed - that's why they only get used on freighters and the like that run at steady speed.

• Like 4
53 minutes ago, Not for nothing said:

if it last longer then 4 hours call a doctor or hooker

mate.... if it lasted more than four hours, I would call every one I knew.

• Like 6

The public is so easily deceived.  This is the Navy’s new submarine hunter.  The bulb is obviously the Sonar Dome.  In these days of ever increasing military expenses, the Navy decided to raid the boatyards and seize and convert likely looking vessels.   

14 hours ago, basketcase said:

mate.... if it lasted more than four hours, I would call every one I knew.

I always thought that warning should have been worded;

"If an erection lasts more than 4 hours, seek assistance".

On 1/5/2022 at 12:13 PM, 12 metre said:

Yes, the Coronet Elvstrom 38.  But it had a large pilothouse.  I suspect Jan Kjaerulff had a hand in the design since I believe he was instrumental in the design of Prince Alfred, the Aussie 6mR with a similar bulbous bow;

Elvstrom 3.jpg

Yes! That's the boat I was thinking of.

I remember seeing this boat or one very like it moored next to us in the harbor at St. Maarten, but that was probably in 1984...

With whale strikes on the rise Scientists are trying to offset losses with this “The Inseminator”

The owner observed this bulb on the bigger cargo vessels and got this idea to rebuild it on his sailboat to make it faster. It’s always about speed!

1 week with epoxy later… tataaa. Next planned modifications:

- a bridge at the aft with steering wheels outside the vessel for improved  perspective in regatta tactics and docking 

- square sails for more sail area 

This owner… an unknown genius ;-)

On 1/6/2022 at 6:04 AM, Tacoma Mud Flats said:

Clearly its a spar torpedo, of the "Damn the torpedoes, full speed a head" type fame.

735761148_CSS_David_drawing(1).jpg.050c3bd7b2b3b5aaa6ad859a1ab6241c.jpg

Its for ramming the official's boat if you don't like their line crossing judgement.

Reminds me about the book: „Ship Killer“. A very good read. Just that the „Sidewinder“ is not located in the bow bulb but hides away in a bulb, underwater, on the side of the Swan. To be launched with block and tackle from the boom through the hatch.

• 2 weeks later...