We all did shit we can't get away with now. Fishing with my buddy in the early 80s, late summer. Nothing biting, anchored at Capilano river, mooching with live herring. It's getting late, and they aren't biting, a cruise ship comes out from the harbour, under the first narrows bridge. I proclaim, up anchor, we do, as the cruise ship comes athwart I launch a bear scare and BOOM, the whole fleet ducks! We motor alongside the cruise ship and launch a few more. Get back to the planitarum boat launch, I leave the boat to Axel to drive onto the trailer, he is milling about the harbour, I'm backing my trailer down the launch and I see the harbour patrol Chuck a grapple into our boat, and much hand waving. Exit the truck and go down the ramp, before I got there these cops fired another bear scare off, and started laughing their asses off! Nope, it's not a flare! Whereinafuck did you get these things? I got there just then, said (this place), they were rotf laughing, and then the inquiry started, how many beers you guys drank. There was an empty full size cooler in the well, full of empies, and we just said they were from the last time out too, musta been 30 empties there. At least it wasn't dark. We tortured these cops with this shit, when we got back to our apartment we fired off a few more, these fuckers are LOUD! My kiwi friend had visits from the constabulatory for as long as we were down there, he had to move. 

• Like 1

We once drove a drunk man almost insane as he tried to grill on a Weber in the courtyard of our two story U shaped apt complex in Los Gatos, CA. He was such an ass he fired the thing up smack in the middle of the 6 unit plus owners downstairs master unit. Summer in CA everyone has their apts open as there was no a/c. He is smoking everyone out on the 2nd floor especially which our apt was directly above his. Soooo, every time he went back inside to top up his highball we would use our industrial squirt bottle and put some water on his briquettes from the 2nd floor breezeway. The pavement was so hot and he was so lit he never knew what was happening and didn’t even know we were up there. We were apoplectic in hilarity and he slowly just lost his shit. He would go back out after two minutes in his apt and steam clouds would be lofting into the air above the Weber. He would take the food off, spray more fluid on his briquettes and light the thing up, put the food back on and we would slowly kill it. His wife finally told him to go inside and she finished the food in the kitchen. Weeks later she locked him out and he was begging around the back by the bedroom window at 0100 to be let in drunk as a skunk and a couple weeks after that he was gone for good. She never thanked us. 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:

Bear scare? Some kind of pyrotechnic?

Yup, it sreaks out for 20' and goes BOOM!

• Like 1

Things we did....

That we can't do today???

Holy crap! The list is endless.

Bottle rocket wars.

BB gun fights.

Riding with no helmets.

Riding with no seatbelts.

Have your party busted by the local sheriff who poured out your beer and chased you home.

Settle you differences out back and shake hands afterwards.

Break a bone and get a lecture from mom about how stupid you are while she drives you to the hospital.

The list can go on forever. We are a safer society now and I'm not convinced we are the better for it.

WL

• Like 4
1 hour ago, White Lightning2 said:

Have your party busted by the local sheriff who poured out your beer and chased you home.

As an older teen I used to kayak along the local West Vancouver shoreline in summer. At the beach parties the cops showed up (announcing their impending arrival with big cop flashlights). I'd grab all the beer and throw it in the back of the sea kayak and paddle out 20' from the shore. They would start looking for the beer to confiscate from the kids and eventually notice me floating out there after failing to find the beer.

They would ask me to come ashore and visit them and I would decline. They would shine their big cop flashlights in my face. I pulled out my big dive light which was brighter and shine it in their faces. They did not like this at all and said they'd call the coast guard. I pointed out that by the time the coast guard showed up I would be long gone in the darkness and I could float in 3" of water while the coast guard boat needed a bit more water.

They did not like me but usually would go away after 1/2 hour. I did this a few times.

--------------------------------

SloopJonB will know this area well. It was my friend's 25th birthday who was having a party right near Fishermans Cove, West Vancouver. He had bought some commercial grade fireworks in the US and smuggled them and their 3" aluminum mortar tubes, back into Canada. Each charge was about size of a 2.5 lb sack of flour!

Later in the evening, he and I "borrowed" a rowing dinghy from the shoreline and rowed out to the big rock islet that is at the entrance. We had 3 mortar tubes and 6 fireworks. We set off the first 3 at the same time. They shot up and exploded about 200' up in the air with enormous booms. Just like a real fireworks show! Lights start coming on all around us on the shore. We quickly re-loaded and fired again, again waking up the neighborhood.

Quickly rowing back to shore, we carried the dinghy back to its stowage place as the cops were driving into Race Rocks parking lot. We scampered back to the party through the bushes and were greeted by lots of high 5's. Glad they didn't bring a dog to track us....

image.png.ccce375c927900cbcc36a3eb97bee9ec.png

• Like 3

In the summer of '86 during Expo friends and I would take my Dash 34 under the Cambie St. bridge to get a better view of the fireworks with lots of beer and attractive company.  The bridge's air draft was about 40', while the mast was 45' or so.  Ok, boys and girls, onto the boom.  We'd go under the bridge heeled over 30-40 degrees to clear it.  A few times we scraped the VHF antenna on the underside of the concrete bridge.  

The VPD harbour patrol boat came up behind us one night as we were departing well heeled and asked us what the hell we thought we were doing.  The response from one of my friends (in a thick Rhodesian accent) was "well, if you think you can do a better job, why don't you come over and do it".  They left us alone after that.

I met my wife that summer.

Back when the world was young and I was about 14 years old and bored during summer holidays, some friends and I agreed to go swimming.  We told various parents we were going for a bike ride, we got some sandwiches and a couple of bottles of water.  We cycled to the nearest bit of the sea, went swimming, then cycled back. 

It was 35 miles in each direction with some reasonable hills.  Our bikes were steel three speed monsters, except one lucky guy who had a 5 speed.  We got back after dark and received a lot of grief from the parents about not telling them exactly where our bike ride was going.  This venture was repeated again several times, but only with a fuller disclosure of intent.

The water in the English Channel was still bloody cold in the middle of summer.

When I was a teen, I would go to my friend's house in our suburban small town right on the border with the bigger city.  He would grab his Ithaca lever action single shot .22 rifle, and a box of 100 .22 LR rounds.  We would walk through our little town, carrying the Ithaca with the lever down and the empty breech open.  It was less than a mile out of the town to the railroad tracks with a bit of woods on either side of the 4 east-west mainline Penn Central and Norfolk and Western railroad tracks and we would plink at beer cans and bottles that littered the area.  It was fun.  Then we would walk home. 

I can only imagine what would happen today if a couple of long haired scruffy looking teens were walking down a busy street carrying a .22 rifle.  Well, nowadays maybe not so much, especially if we were wearing Proud Boys jackets and tactical gear.

"Jousting" where two guys sit in the passenger window sill of the car with windsurfing mast and a steel trash can lid.  Fortunately, we were in a state where nobody ever had the accuracy to knock the other out of the car.

• Like 1

When I was 5 I walked around the block by myself. I’m sure such activity today would cause my parents to be chastised by the neighbors.  

Met my best friend that way. He was playing in front of his house on the next street. He was 4, I was 5. Before our parents ever met his mom drove us to the local library. Scary stuff. 

7 minutes ago, chinabald said:

When I was 5 I walked around the block by myself. I’m sure such activity today would cause my parents to be chastised by the neighbors.  

Met my best friend that way. He was playing in front of his house on the next street. He was 4, I was 5. Before our parents ever met his mom drove us to the local library. Scary stuff. 

It was the same in the neighborhood where I grew up.  There were a ton of kids and dogs in the square block where we lived.  All of the mothers there would kind of watch out for all of us.

So many things as WL mentioned above….so many. When we lived in Milwaukee (pop was on recruiting duty), in the summer at age 11 I would put on my swimsuit and a tee shirt, grab a towel and a lunch mom made and ride the city bus alone (sometimes with a buddy) with two transfers for about 45 minutes to the closest public pool. I’d spend the day messing around at the pool, and then when the pool closed ride the reverse route and be home in time for dinner. 

When we lived in Quantico Va at age 13 the housing we lived in backed up against the “woods”. I have no idea how many acres….seemed like a million at our age. After breakfast my buddy and I would grab our bow and arrows, handy pocket knife and head off into the woods to kill and skin some critter. Not only did we never accomplish killing or skinning anything but we lost a fair amount of arrows. Once again as long as we were home by dinner all was good. 

Adventures……lots of adventures. 

• Like 3

honda three wheeler  towing each other on snow skis and a tow rope down the snow covered streets when we weren't in school..  probably should have been killed or really hurt several times over...

when the sun went down and street lights came on it was tome to come home anc check in.  and if you didn't.  dad would ring the large bell on a post.  if you were so far away and couldn't hear the bell.  sho-nuff the neighbors would hear the crack of the belt across my ass...

• Like 2

after sputnik we went rocket crazy first cap and match fuel then stolen gun power from 30/30 shells finally settled on a saltpeter/ sugar mix

next fad was push cars that morphed in to home made skateboards with steel wheels then wop boards next we started surfing so built boards

somewhere around 61 also started to convert 20'' bikes into BMX RACERS on the golf course at nite WE BROKE A LOT OF BIKES then the stingray came out first factory bike like we built

ABSOLUTELY NONE OF THE ABOVE HAD ANY PARENTS INVOLVED

nor did the normal football base ball ect games or war games we had a 50 cal machine gun real barrel and frame no guts but a fun  toy WONDER HOW LONG THAT WOULD LAST TODAY

funny to see the shit we did as kids for fun become international tv sports

and or industry's like skateboards or trick BMX BIKES

• Like 1

was hanging with the big kids down at one corner of the lake...    guy goes , "watch this"..  he pulls a military grade flare out of his trunk and proceeds to shoot it off..     it goes up , I dunno, 1000ft, and lights up...   and I mean lights up..   the whole lake and adjoining neighborhoods ...      he goes, we got to boogie,   I was one of guys who managed to jump into the back of his Mustang and take off..   other kids just scattered and the dumb ones that hung around got interrogated by the police for 45 mins after 15 cop cars show up

3 minutes ago, dacapo said:

fuck all ya'll  ...I shot my eye with a BB gun  ;-) 

BEAT THAT mother fuckers   

Shot my littlest brother with the Daisy right up mainstreet as he was sledding away down the driveway.

Left handed.  :)

Quite the reaction on his part.

14 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:

Shot my littlest brother with the Daisy right up mainstreet as he was sledding away down the driveway.

Left handed.  :)

Quite the reaction on his part.

My brother shot me from about 3 feet away with a BB pistol.  Good thing it was a pistol with a short spring and I was wearing jeans or I might still have a BB in my thigh muscle!  It stung a bit.  But I think my fist hurt him more.  :lol:

13 minutes ago, dacapo said:

BEAT THAT mother fuckers   

Not quite that dramatic but my younger brother and I were playing darts in our basement (me 11 or so and him 8 or so) and trying to be a smart ass he withheld a dart from the throwing, waiting till I went up and pulled the darts from the board intending to throw it into the board and scare me. Well.............he missed the board but scored a bullseye on the back of my head where the dart lodged for a few seconds and then upon my investigating the "thud" I felt on impact dropped but leaving a small amount of bleeding. The look of horror on his face coupled with the blood on my hand sent me running upstairs to have mom assess the damage. As usual for her....she was not thrilled.......

1 minute ago, Point Break said:

Not quite that dramatic but my younger brother and I were playing darts in our basement (me 11 or so and him 8 or so) and trying to be a smart ass he withheld a dart from the throwing, waiting till I went up and pulled the darts from the board intending to throw it into the board and scare me. Well.............he missed the board but scored a bullseye on the back of my head where the dart lodged for a few seconds and then upon my investigating the "thud" I felt on impact dropped but leaving a small amount of bleeding. The look of horror on his face coupled with the blood on my hand sent me running upstairs to have mom assess the damage. As usual for her....she was not thrilled.......

And that ladies and gents was when PB decided to become a paramedic.

Because he realized he would never be out of work.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Ed Lada said:

wearing jeans

Coulda caused a very bad infection!

That's why I felt his reaction was a bit over the top. Underwear, long underwear, pants.

Well, the Daisy was new.

Another time a friend and I were shooting a bow and arrow. We only had one arrow, target-tipped.

We stood about maybe 75-100 feet apart and shot towards the targets we each stood next to, then would throw the bow as far as possible to the other shooter. Don't know why other than to save a little effort.

But one time, the arrow arced towards me and I caught it in the groin. No blood.

Lucky, lucky, lucky!

3 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Mom's back then were real Mom's. Not the "Karens" of today. Able to deal with an incredible amount of shenanigans with a heavy sigh and slow, knowing smile. They didn't need social media or apps for parenting. They just went out and did it as best they could. That was all that was expected of anybody back then. Just do the best you could (and their best was pretty damn good)

WL

• Like 4
40 minutes ago, dacapo said:

BEAT THAT mother fuckers   

So you were the one our mothers warned us about.

• Like 2
Just now, White Lightning2 said:

Mom's back then were real Mom's. Not the "Karens" of today. Able to deal with an incredible amount of shenanigans with a heavy sigh and slow, knowing smile. They didn't need social media or apps for parenting. They just went out and did it as best they could. That was all that was expected of anybody back then. Just do the best you could (and their best was pretty damn good)

WL

and boy oh boy did I put her through the wringer with lacerations and ortho injuries. She told me once when I was an "adult".....or at least as close as I got....that she was sometimes surprised I survived my childhood because of my................lack of judgement. :lol:

and yes Ed......that might have led to my career choices............maybe the dart went deeper than we thought............:lol:

• Like 1
12 hours ago, White Lightning2 said:

Things we did....

That we can't do today???

Practically everything.

I wonder if children's life expectancy is any different today?

Not sure I can contribute, unless waterskiing in a ditch behind a pickup truck, or being banned from every muni golf course in a 30 mile radius for shenanigan's and damage to golf carts during summer break, or a quick discussion with the local constables following knee boarding behind a golf cart on a flooded private course after a big rain or carrying our shotguns while on our bikes headed out for an afterschool dove hunt count. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, justsomeguy! said:

Lucky, lucky, lucky!

Well, you only need one ball anyway.  Odds are you wouldn't lose both in an unfortunate archery mishap.

We have 2 balls for redundancy, since evolution is aware through experience of the propensity for young males to do stupid things.

34 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Well, you only need one ball anyway. 

True, but you really want it to be your own one ball.

When I was young (maybe 6 or 7), we lived in a small neighborhood of late 1950's 3br, 1.5 ba brick ranches where every house it seemed had kids.  Each day the guys would roam as a pack looking for trouble.  One day we end up in the backyard of one of the guys in the group's house.  They had  a huge oak tree at the back of their yard.  The first branch was 12 feet up so it had remained unscaled for years.  On this particular day, we were determined to summit.  We get a ladder out to make it to base camp and from there,  it was every boy for himself.  I was fearless and just kept climbing, not noticing that the others had descended and put the ladder away.  It's now around dinner time and my best option was to climb out to the end of the lowest branch that I assumed would bend due to my 55#, from where the fall would be minimal.  So out I go, that fucking branch didn't move an inch.  I'm hanging from the end about the same time the father of the house arrives home and sits down for a relaxing dinner after a stressful day and bows his head to say Grace.  After Amen, he raises his head to see a 6yo neighbor kid hanging about 8' above the ground.  He nearly shit himself and grabbed the ladder.

I agree with others, the shit we did then would land parents in jail today for negligence.  God bless the moms from the 60's.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

I can only imagine what would happen today if a couple of long haired scruffy looking teens were walking down a busy street carrying a .22 rifle.  

Heh.  yeah.

Back in the day a friend and I were shooting out in an open field with a .22.  Some guy with badge and a jeep rolls up and tells us we're in trouble, transports us to my friend's house.

Takes us up to the door and tells Mom what we were doing.

"were they breaking any laws?"
.... uh, no.
"were they being unsafe?"
..... uh, no
" did anyone complain?"
.... uh, no

"well, then, take them back where you found them and leave them the hell alone!"

• Like 4
20 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

True, but you really want it to be your own one ball.

One of my college professors became a good friend of mine.  I didn't attend college until I had worked in a factory for a couple of years and spent a couple of years in the Army, so I was older than the average student back then.

Well, Bob was diagnosed with testicular cancer on one side and he had the offending testicle removed and follow up radiation therapy.  They offered him a prosthesis so he wouldn't feel so bad about losing the ball, but he declined.  He did fine with no other problems or recurrence of the cancer.

We both had a shall we say 'interesting' sense of humor.  So that Christmas, I bought 5 little hard rubber 'super balls' in different colors, and a little treasure chest.  I put the balls in the chest and wrapped it up and put a bow on it.  I gave it to him and told one he had one for each day of the work week, he could go mono on the weekends. 

Oh, this was around the time the 2nd or 3rd Star Wars movie had been released.  So we called him Only One Knobi.  :lol:

12 hours ago, Rain Man said:

In the summer of '86 during Expo...

I probably saw you that summer doing that. I met my wife January 11, 1986. We were both taking a sailing instructor course at the Jib Set. For the summer we had summer passes to Expo 86. As starving students we spent a lot of time there. Ate a lot of McDonalds because it was cheapest food there.

We managed to behave very inappropriately in just about every Pavilion with a darkened theatre. I took particular delight in um, christening the Pavilion of Promise.

"The most obvious religious presence at the Vancouver, British Columbia, world’s fair was the $6 million Pavilion of Promise, sponsored by Crossroads Christian Communications, producer of the Canadian television program “100 Huntley Street. The pavilion offered a 40-minute presentation called “The Scroll,” which covered Creation; the life, death, and resurrection of Christ; and Christ’s final encounter with Satan. It utilized ballet dancers, multimedia wide-screen technology, lasers, and narration by Malcolm Muggeridge”

• Like 1
3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Practically everything.

I wonder if children's life expectancy is any different today?

Obesity is far more common in today's kids.   So instead of dying from accidents they will die from health related problems.

1 hour ago, Ed Lada said:

We both had a shall we say 'interesting' sense of humor.  So that Christmas, I bought 5 little hard rubber 'super balls' in different colors, and a little treasure chest.  

Ed, I remember when the original big Superball came out there was a commercial showing how you could bounce one over a house. I finally bought one and tried it. I threw it down really hard and It bounced up hard alright- right up into my balls. They were black and blue for a long time, Thanks for reminding me!

• Like 1

In my younger years I collected quite a few scalp injuries requiring stitches. The last one came about whilst clearing our BMX track out of the jungle across the street. I walked down to the emergency room (about 1.5 m) and got another 8 stitches to close the wound. Head nurse just said "we know your address, we'll send the bill" as I was released. Sat down for dinner, took Mom a few minutes to focus in on the new bandage. 

Let's just say my mother taught me how to clean, irrigate, debride, and suture a wound early on..  There was one summer it seemed just about every other week I was off to the ER for one thing or another. Got a few scars that have some fond memories to them, but damn, getting out of bed some days is tough.

39 minutes ago, dyslexic dog said:

Lots of things I have forgotten. I do remember hitching rides in the winter by grabbing onto bumpers and having a car pull you for blocks up the street. 

Been there done that.. did it to an unmarked police car once...  sure glad he didn't ask for us to empty our pockets.. :D

3 hours ago, White Lightning2 said:

Mrs. Ventucly Red Sr. was awesome and did a lot on her own as the old man was off playing fly-boy much of the time until I reached the age of three.  I am the youngest in my family and I am a few years past the half-century mark.  Some of the shit she put up with raising us and did it with a smile, a sense of honor, and a great sense of humor.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, nota said:

after sputnik we went rocket crazy first cap and match fuel then stolen gun power from 30/30 shells finally settled on a saltpeter/ sugar mix

Handy stuff that stump remover (KNO3) & powdered sugar mix, made one of the more remarkable displays once with a little pint milk carton & on old tire, lit the fuse & after it got going rolled it down the steep hill I still live on, between the smoke & orange disk of flame was quite impressive. Played this one fairly responsible since the rest of the crew I ran with were at the bottom of the hill doing traffic watch & tire retrieval duty.

On the other hand in 1980 the crew & I did what was far & away the most potentially dangerous thing we ever did, set off a ten pound fire extinguisher 2 thirds filled with FF grade black powder inside an old console TV with an intact picture tube. Easily the loudest explosion I have ever heard, the terrible part was that this was not out in the boonies, but right on a North Queen Anne street, in front of a house (not the one we were laying low in).

Bleeding miracle we didn't kill anyone. 

7 hours ago, nota said:

Winter of 1977.  The Chesapeake froze.  We walked from Annapolis to Kent Island and back. 

Never even considered what would happen if the ice gave way.:blink:

At some point, they dynamited some areas of thick ice and used icebreakers to clear the channel to Baltimore.

bal-the-big-freeze-on-1977-pictures-20140131.jpeg

One year we were terrorizing this one house on my block around halloween. We could buy screetchers back then! If you pounded the middle of them they would explode quite nicely. They would blow a garbage can lid 20 foot plus into the air. We installed the device into this poor guys front door mailbox and lit the fuse, hiding in the nearby bushes to observe. Blew the lid clear across the street. We were bastards.

We had another house we would roll his front yard rock garden around in the cover of darkness. Another yard we cut a slit in a net fence, over and over, and only that. The guy ended up sitting at his kitchen window, watching for us, but was too dim to turn off his interior light, we would be snipping his fence while he was watching, and trying not to laugh.

We used to have these parties where we would go to a kids house and maybe 30 of us would be at the house and wrestle and play and generally mess around and then the mother of the kid would  bring out a cake and one kid would blow ( and spit ) all over the top of it and then we would all share the cake …no masks!!  nothing like that!! 

12 hours ago, nota said:

next fad was push cars that morphed in to home made skateboards with steel wheels then wop boards next we started surfing so built boards

somewhere around 61 also started to convert 20'' bikes into BMX RACERS on the golf course at nite WE BROKE A LOT OF BIKES then the stingray came out first factory bike like we built

ABSOLUTELY NONE OF THE ABOVE HAD ANY PARENTS INVOLVED

nor did the normal football base ball ect games or war games we had a 50 cal machine gun real barrel and frame no guts but a fun  toy WONDER HOW LONG THAT WOULD LAST TODAY

funny to see the shit we did as kids for fun become international tv sports

and or industry's like skateboards or trick BMX BIKES

There are people out there who would stop, smile, congratulate you and give you a real one.

On 1/6/2022 at 4:33 AM, woodtick said:

We all did shit we can't get away with now. Fishing with my buddy in the early 80s, late summer. Nothing biting, anchored at Capilano river, mooching with live herring. It's getting late, and they aren't biting, a cruise ship comes out from the harbour, under the first narrows bridge. I proclaim, up anchor, we do, as the cruise ship comes athwart I launch a bear scare and BOOM, the whole fleet ducks! We motor alongside the cruise ship and launch a few more. Get back to the planitarum boat launch, I leave the boat to Axel to drive onto the trailer, he is milling about the harbour, I'm backing my trailer down the launch and I see the harbour patrol Chuck a grapple into our boat, and much hand waving. Exit the truck and go down the ramp, before I got there these cops fired another bear scare off, and started laughing their asses off! Nope, it's not a flare! Whereinafuck did you get these things? I got there just then, said (this place), they were rotf laughing, and then the inquiry started, how many beers you guys drank. There was an empty full size cooler in the well, full of empies, and we just said they were from the last time out too, musta been 30 empties there. At least it wasn't dark. We tortured these cops with this shit, when we got back to our apartment we fired off a few more, these fuckers are LOUD! My kiwi friend had visits from the constabulatory for as long as we were down there, he had to move. 

Forgive my (lack of) English vocabulary but I have no idea what you are saying here...

6 minutes ago, chuso007 said:

Forgive my (lack of) English vocabulary but I have no idea what you are saying here...

Don't feel bad.  I'm a little confused too.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, chuso007 said:
On 1/5/2022 at 10:33 PM, woodtick said:

Expand  

OK, thissis gonig tacke some effortte, so woude appreciatte helpe;

BearScare.jpg

The storrey openes on the watere, to boyes fisheng in smalle boate, a largere shippe approachess.  The boyes shoote offe fireworkes to scarre bigge boate criewe and passengeres...........                                                    :)

• Like 4
23 minutes ago, dyslexic dog said:

he's on a roll

Kaiser, Parker House, cloverleaf, Italian, whole grain...?  

So many possibilities, help me out here!

12 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:
36 minutes ago, dyslexic dog said:

he's on a roll

Kaiser, Parker House, cloverleaf, Italian, whole grain...?  

So many possibilities, help me out here!

Bostonians woude include Bulkie, wiche NY's caulle Hard.

We used to take shotgun shells, empty the pellets and using a BB gun, stand back about 10-15 ft and try to shoot the primer and make them go Boom!

One thing we noticed after they went off the primer was always missing.   Didn't think much about it until one day one of the kids fell down screaming and holding his knee.

Damn primer had flown back and struck him in the knee cap.  It ricocheted off the cap under the skin and traveled an inch or so up his leg, still under the skin.

We took him home, poured alcohol on it and prepared to slit the skin and pull it out with tweezers.  He changed his mind and was having none of that, so we left him and his brother until his mom came home.

She took him to the local doctors office and he did just what we had planned with a little local anesthetic.

All of us got a good lecture, but our story was that it was his bb that hit the primer and caused the injury...

2 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Bostonians woude include Bulkie, wiche NY's caulle Hard.

We call them bułki or bułeczki here in Poland.  That ł in Polish is pronounced like a 'w'.  Polish also uses the 'normal' L and it's pronounced the same as ours.

My actual last name is spelled Łada in Poland and is pronounced Wada, but the immigration official at Ellis Island was having none of that Slavic crap, so my grandfather became a Lada instead, back in 1907.

35 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

My actual last name is spelled Łada in Poland and is pronounced Wada, but the immigration official at Ellis Island was having none of that Slavic crap, so my grandfather became a Lada instead, back in 1907.

Boy was I wrong.  I assumed the name was a tribute to the make of car you were conceived in.  :D

19 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Boy was I wrong.  I assumed the name was a tribute to the make of car you were conceived in.  :D

Not a bad theory.  :lol:

I'm not sure they were making them in 1955!  If they were, I doubt you could buy them in the US given that the Soviet Union where they make them was communist at the time.

On 1/5/2022 at 11:50 PM, woodtick said:

Yup, it sreaks out for 20' and goes BOOM!

Never heard of a "Bear Scare"??  Time to look at google; me wants a couple for July 4th!! :D

1 hour ago, Ed Lada said:

We call them bułki or bułeczki here in Poland.  That ł in Polish is pronounced like a 'w'.  Polish also uses the 'normal' L and it's pronounced the same as ours.

Our tenants last name is "Serian".  His Grandfathers name was Nahudyan (sp)?   But when he got to Ellis Island they asked where he was from and he said "Syria", and that's the last name they wrote in their record book, although spelled differently....

4 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Our tenants last name is "Serian".  His Grandfathers name was Nahudyan (sp)?   But when he got to Ellis Island they asked where he was from and he said "Syria", and that's the last name they wrote in their record book, although spelled differently....

:lol:  Government bureaucrats, go figure!  

I think many immigrants got their names changed back in the day.

1 minute ago, Ed Lada said:

Not just back in the day. All the Vietnamese around here have “English” names they use but retain their Vietnamese names in their community and at home. Nancy is a very popular name……. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Not just back in the day. All the Vietnamese around here have “English” names they use but retain their Vietnamese names in their community and at home. Nancy is a very popular name……. 

All the Latino gals at the Pedicure shop Missus BB goes to have chosen American names....

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Snaggletooth said:

Ed Wada                   :)

And so it came to pass that, in a once in a millenium event, @Snaggletooth inadvertently spelled something in the way the rest of the human race understood it. In that magical moment, equivalent in cosmic power to crossing ghostbuster streams, Covid-19 disappeared, climates stopped changing and... (insert your wish here).

• Like 2

Most of the things I/we did as kids  would get our parents arrested these days. Climbing down granite quarries, walking 5 miles along active train tracks to buy firecrackers, Sailing alone out to deserted islands (rocks) to camp over night, making black powder bombs (and setting them off sealed inside of peanut butter jars filled with gasoline.) Riding as fast as possible down a steep hill with a bowling ball, and letting the ball go just before the intersection. Putting a 1950s Mercury 10HP motor on the transom of a 7' pram, and pounding out 4 miles to greet the OP-SAIL boats, and losing the fasteners on the front half of the bottom, planting a whole lunch bag (I'm talking brown paper lunch bag) full of pot seeds all around the town green, the town office building, the police station, the fire depts, the banks, and churches, changing the padlock on the police dept. storage garage, rolling an 8' snow ball into the middle of a state road at midnight, dousing it with gasoline and setting it on fire, to watch what happened when the snow plow hit it....

45 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Antonio Andolini's son gotte hisse anme in similiare waye..... can you telle me who thet wase?  No googelleng.....       :)

9 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Antonio Andolini's son gotte hisse anme in similiare waye..... can you telle me who thet wase?  No googelleng.....       :)

His son got his name from the Sicilian village where Antonio came from!  

No googling, I just happened to have re read the book a few weeks ago.  :)

3 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

His son got his name from the Sicilian village where Antonio came from!  

No googling, I just happened to have re read the book a few weeks ago.  :)

I niew you woude no..........   goode clue BTW                     :)

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

I niew you woude no..........   goode clue BTW                     :)

I didn't name names, because maybe somebody else here would like a shot at it.  ;)

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

planting a whole lunch bag (I'm talking brown paper lunch bag) full of pot seeds all around the town green, the town office building, the police station, the fire depts, the banks, and churches, 

Someone in my neighborhood did that at the Town Hall/Police station.  The plants grew quite tall before someone said "Hey.  Wait a minute...."

My fraternity brothers and I pried the lower case "L" off the side of the building of our university "Department of Public Safety".

It stayed that way for more than a year.

18 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

My fraternity brothers and I pried the lower case "L" off the side of the building of our university "Department of Public Safety".

When I grew up in Erie, PA there was a dock at the end of the main north south city street, sticking into Presque Isle Bay, one of the largest natural harbors on the Great Lakes.  It used to be a ferry landing, and small part of the dock had a cover over it.  There was a large sign on the cover facing the northbound traffic that said 'Public Dock'.  needless to say, about once a year the 'L' would disappear.  

Some years ago they remodeled the dock, added a tall observation tower and renamed the dock 'Dobbin's Landing' after one of the original founding fathers of the city.

Then and now photos.  Since this is a sailing forum, that's a replica of the Brig Niagara from the Battle of Lake Erie.  Commodore Perry's fleet was built in Erie and the aforementioned Dobbins was in charge of building the fleet.  The new Niagara is home ported in Erie.  

Dock.jpg

Dock now.jpg

1 hour ago, Bus Driver said:

Back when I was in college I had a girlfriend who worked part time at a retirement home.   When I would drive there to pick her up I would pass by a funeral home whose neon sign was in need of repair.    The letters that would light up were "Fun Home".    Stayed that way for months.

3 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Then he would be Ed Trabant.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Then he would be Ed Trabant.

Good thing I finished my pizza before I read that or I would have a cheesy mess all over my keyboard right now!  :lol:

By the way, the first Trabis appeared in 1957, 2 years too late.

When my grandfatherbon moms side emmigrated here he kept his family name Storcass, everybody here pronounced it storkass. He changed it to Vickson.

On 1/6/2022 at 12:02 AM, Rain Man said:

In the summer of '86 during Expo friends and I would take my Dash 34 under the Cambie St. bridge to get a better view of the fireworks with lots of beer and attractive company.  The bridge's air draft was about 40', while the mast was 45' or so.  Ok, boys and girls, onto the boom.  We'd go under the bridge heeled over 30-40 degrees to clear it.  A few times we scraped the VHF antenna on the underside of the concrete bridge.  

The VPD harbour patrol boat came up behind us one night as we were departing well heeled and asked us what the hell we thought we were doing.  The response from one of my friends (in a thick Rhodesian accent) was "well, if you think you can do a better job, why don't you come over and do it".  They left us alone after that.

I met my wife that summer.

The harbour patrol used to be where the cops put the misfits- back in the seventies- now its a prime job. I got busted by one of these assholes on a school field trip when we lit up a joint on the waterfront, he acted like he made the bust of the century. Circa 1976.

12 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

OK, thissis gonig tacke some effortte, so woude appreciatte helpe;

BearScare.jpg

The storrey openes on the watere, to boyes fisheng in smalle boate, a largere shippe approachess.  The boyes shoote offe fireworkes to scarre bigge boate criewe and passengeres...........                                                    :)

Thanks Snaggs! Much clearer now

After a 3 month successful operation in Dug Way proving grounds our CO invited the whole AAM firing battery to the O club. A good time was being had when said CO thought a Commemorative Battery Picture arround the HQ cannon might be a good idea. It is 1000 or 1100 at this point.A corporal, another Sergeant and I took to task and delivered the Cannon with a "borrowed" military 4x4 The pictures were great, the entire Firing Battery personnel posed around the cannon infront of the O Club.  At the behest of the MPs we returned the cannon after pics. A few more rounds and the three of us did a repeat going the other way how ever.  Getting stuck in the desert we disconnected the Canon.  Our friends went searching for it later.

2 minutes ago, chuso007 said:

Thanks Snaggs! Much clearer now

It was reported we were firing off flares, so when the cops fired off the bear scare to test our denial they killed themselves laughing, nope, that aint a flare...

• Like 1

I stopped reporting about capers when I hit about 16.... If you want advanced, and college age hijinx, that'll cost you extra.

29 minutes ago, warbird said:

After a 3 month successful operation in Dug Way proving grounds our CO invited the whole AAM firing battery to the O club. A good time was being had when said CO thought a Commemorative Battery Picture arround the HQ cannon might be a good idea. It is 1000 or 1100 at this point.A corporal, another Sergeant and I took to task and delivered the Cannon with a "borrowed" military 4x4 The pictures were great, the entire Firing Battery personnel posed around the cannon infront of the O Club.  At the behest of the MPs we returned the cannon after pics. A few more rounds and the three of us did a repeat going the other way how ever.  Getting stuck in the desert we disconnected the Canon.  Our friends went searching for it later.

Didn’t know (or remember) you were a cannon cocker. What branch? 

On 1/6/2022 at 12:52 PM, Zonker said:

I probably saw you that summer doing that. I met my wife January 11, 1986. We were both taking a sailing instructor course at the Jib Set. For the summer we had summer passes to Expo 86. As starving students we spent a lot of time there. Ate a lot of McDonalds because it was cheapest food there.

We managed to behave very inappropriately in just about every Pavilion with a darkened theatre. I took particular delight in um, christening the Pavilion of Promise.

"The most obvious religious presence at the Vancouver, British Columbia, world’s fair was the $6 million Pavilion of Promise, sponsored by Crossroads Christian Communications, producer of the Canadian television program “100 Huntley Street. The pavilion offered a 40-minute presentation called “The Scroll,” which covered Creation; the life, death, and resurrection of Christ; and Christ’s final encounter with Satan. It utilized ballet dancers, multimedia wide-screen technology, lasers, and narration by Malcolm Muggeridge”

I bet we know each other.  I spent quite a bit of time drinking and carrying on at the Jibset.

BITD.

Possibly, though we were only there for Jan and Feb for our course. Everybody else in the class had at least a decade or more on us.

Didn't sail with them after that.

Dancing in the mist when the mosquito control truck cruised our neighborhood in South Jersey. Sometimes we'd chase it for blocks, with huge groups of kids from other neighborhoods screaming in and out of the dense cloud with us.

One time my Dad shouted at me to not do that ever again, that stuff is poison. 'Well why are they spraying it up and down the street then, Dad?'

No answer.

14 hours ago, Point Break said:

Didn’t know (or remember) you were a cannon cocker. What branch? 

We were anti Aircraft missiles. HAWK (Homing All the Way Killer) USMC. The ops was prototype fly-offs of the then Cruise Missle.  It was just our Radars, missiles and launchers stayed in Yuma AZ. As a show of contrition the able bodied (not still drunk) formed up and marched to HQ for revile that AM. Boots shined, uniforms pressed they rendered salute as Army color guard attached flag to halyard and another opened the Canon breach to load a ceremonial charge. ( During pictures earlier some marines slid full beer bottle down the barrel.) The bottles slid out, exploded on the pavement and wet the color guard lower trous. I was informed my fellow Marines remained remarkably straight faced while at Attention.

• Like 1