3 to 6 inches of Snow my Arse!!!

Fucking Weather men!!  Only job where you can be totally wrong, half the time, and still get a raise every year!!

Missus BB said this was gonna be a nothing burger, and would all melt by Saturday!

There is easily 8 inches outside, and it's still coming down fast and furious! 

So glad I don't have to get up at 6 AM anymore and drive 18 miles to work!  I guarantee half the people there will call out sick today, because they don't have All Wheel Drive, and any clue of driving safely in a snowstorm!!

It is pretty though, for a moment or two! 

Only 2-3" here in Narragansett Bay.  Still coming down though.  It is pretty until it isn't.

7 minutes ago, mathystuff said:

Well, most of the time getting 8 inches while expecting 3 to 6 is a pleasant surprise.

I like to ski, but only in 70 degrees or more weather, and on water skis!!

10 minutes ago, mathystuff said:

Well, most of the time getting 8 inches while expecting 3 to 6 is a pleasant surprise.

So far just a fine dusting that started at 5 AM. Weather guy says 4-6" on the coast with more the further south you go.

We live on the northern end of a 15 mile long north/south running peninsula. There have been times in the past that we were getting dumped on at home, ran down to ski on the beach and got rained on by the time we were halfway there.

This one should be just the opposite. Snow removal today, snowshoeing or skiing manana.

7 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

maybe after 10 minutes of shoveling?

Do you know how many of we older folks die of heart attacks every year, while shoveling snow?

I will call "my guy" to come and plow. And will be very careful while shoveling the walkway to the driveway and garage......

Our moron Tenant tried to get out of the driveway in his 2WD Cadillac his Mommy gave him!  Nearly slid into our truck in the driveway!!  Last year he slid into the X3, and his insurance paid to put a new drivers door on it!!  Thank God he's moving out soon!!! 

Works both ways: 

The TV had been full of Death and Taxes reports on the coming snowstorm.  There'd be six inches of wet frozen death on the ground in the morning! Wolves at the door and Republicans in the hills! It was The End of the World as We Know It (TEOTWAWKI).

I got up at o'Dark 30 on my day off to shovel the driveway for The Princess. She had one of those jobs in Aerospace where Armageddon wasn't an acceptable excuse for being late. And.... I could have used a tissue to blot up the snowfall.  

4 minutes ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Works both ways: 

The TV had been full of Death and Taxes reports on the coming snowstorm.  There'd be six inches of wet frozen death on the ground in the morning! Wolves at the door and Republicans in the hills! It was The End of the World as We Know It (TEOTWAWKI).

I got up at o'Dark 30 on my day off to shovel the driveway for The Princess. She had one of those jobs in Aerospace where Armageddon wasn't an acceptable excuse for being late. And.... I could have used a tissue to blot up the snowfall.  

You got snow in Florida???

• Like 1

An old story, possibly apocryphal, about a local (woman) news anchor asking her weatherman "What happened to those 8" you promised me last night"

....they had to cut to commercial...

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

You got snow in Florida???

:D

Nawp, that story stems from our time in St Loo.  

But did you hear that the Floriduh Panhandle got measurable snow?  This Global Warming is getting serious!

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

:D

Nawp, that story stems from our time in St Loo.  

But did you hear that the Floriduh Panhandle got measurable snow?  This Global Warming is getting serious!

It is indeed!  In 3 of the last 5 days, we had 50-degree weather!!  Not complaining, but I worry about what our Grandchildren will be facing when we are long gone......

• Like 1
1 minute ago, billy backstay said:

It is indeed!  In 3 of the last 5 days, we had 50-degree weather!!  Not complaining, but I worry about what our Grandchildren will be facing when we are long gone......

OMG, it'll be 74 here today!  With a 5 knot Tropical breeze and white, fluffy clouds.  Sometimes, it doesn't suck.  

Ever think what the weather guessers who can't get tomorrow's forecast remotely correct are doing forecasting the next millennium's?    

• Like 1

just 4" here in northwest VA.  I almost felt guilty getting out the snowblower to clear the driveway, almost.

3 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Fucking Weather men!!  Only job where you can be totally wrong, half the time, and still get a raise every year!!

Missus BB said this was gonna be a nothing burger, and would all melt by Saturday!

So glad I don't have to get up at 6 AM anymore and drive 18 miles to work!  I guarantee half the people there will call out sick today, because they don't have All Wheel Drive, and any clue of driving safely in a snowstorm!!

I always check noaa forecasts for my area.  They tend to be the closest. (Mass and NH).  The best part is the noaa forecasts wne t from 1-2 inches to 3-5 for me in the span of hours 

We were over on Arrowsic Island yesterday for a dogwalk and passed a black ice pond. Used to love skating that stuff as a kid but it doesn't happen around here much anymore. Snow fucks up everything.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, peragrin said:

I always check noaa forecasts for my area.  They tend to be the closest. (Mass and NH).  The best part is the noaa forecasts wne t from 1-2 inches to 3-5 for me in the span of hours 

The hourly NOAA chart is the one I constantly check, but as far as wind prediction for Frostbite races, it's only correct about 60%  of the time. 

• Like 1

Walking on the deck of the boat in the snow can be treacherous.  

Buried jib sheet.

Dropped hatch key.

Etc.

At least I don't have to do that whole sledging ice removal thing that the Alaska folks need to do at sea.   No fun.

There is easily 8 inches outside,

Don't worry Billy.

You leave that 8 inches (probably more like 6") outside in the cold for a bit and I guarantee it will disappear quickly!  :lol:

get better weather here...  

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCek5H-g5yR0NbI5EHShi9Ug

I discovered that Accuweather does Europe too, and they are usually quite accurate.  Often up to 5 or 6 days out.

Of course it's always possible that there are less variables where I live, making predictions easier.  We are about 200 miles from the nearest major body of water.  Big water can make forecasting difficult because things can change so fast over water.

3 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

I discovered that Accuweather does Europe too, and they are usually quite accurate.  Often up to 5 or 6 days out.

Of course it's always possible that there are less variables where I live, making predictions easier.  We are about 200 miles from the nearest major body of water.  Big water can make forecasting difficult because things can change so fast over water.

The European forecast has always been better than ours, why is that??

So far a couple of feet the past couple of days in SW Michigan, still hammering down if a lake effect snow band is hovering over your neighborhood (like it is here). The 42” two-stage on the front of the garden tractor laughs at it, fortunately lake-effect snow is generally very powdery but there’s lots of it.

It's gonna be a long day by the fire. WX says the storm ends by 3 so that's when the snowblowing begins.

Time for some snow music...

34 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

The European forecast has always been better than ours, why is that??

Hell if I know!

One possibility is that although Europe is essentially a large peninsula, there aren't too many major land features other than the Alps to fuck with the weather.  And the Alps are pretty far south and along with the Pyrenees mountains, keeps most of the warm, moist Mediterranean air from going north.  Most of the other water that borders Europe is pretty cold with the exception of the Gulf Stream which keeps the British Isles far warmer than they should be.  

But that's just a guess, I am no meteoriteologist!  

5 hours ago, billy backstay said:

I couldn't disagree more - modern weather forecasting has become like a fucking bus schedule.

The best local system - The Weather Network - is consistently accurate to damn near minutes.

3 minutes ago, Mike in Seattle said:

May be an image of outdoors

HO-LEE-FUCK!!  I will never, ever set foot in Seattle between September and May!!!

I just got my last spar into the loft at 3:00 pm yesterday, from a customer was the sole sailor in the harbor (other than the crazy frostbiters) for the last 6 weeks.  He was sailing a lot too.   Grateful that I got the rig out before the halyards froze up, that kinda takes a little of the fun out of it.

Started here around 0345, and we had almost 6 inches by 0630.  I'm guessing about 5" more by noon, and it is still drifting down.  The driving around town blows goats. 

I'm  going to go play with the Bobcat.

Thankfully, Roger, our neighbor across the street loves playing with his Quad!   He plowed our entire driveway, except where the truck was parked.  Other 2 cars in the garage.  I have to ask his wife what Wine or Spirits he prefers, to say Thank you!  I don't recall but I think it was at least 50 bucks, probably more, when we had to call our plow guy.   Missus BB wants a Quad but not sure she really needs one?   She plants lots of stuff, but no serious landscaping that would justify it.  OTOH, it may happen, happy wife, happy life!! :D

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

, happy wife, happy life!! :D

That's what I keep hearing..........from ,my wife!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Thankfully, Roger, our neighbor across the street loves playing with his Quad!   He plowed our entire driveway, except where the truck was parked.  Other 2 cars in the garage.  I have to ask his wife what Wine or Spirits he prefers, to say Thank you!  I don't recall but I think it was at least 50 bucks, probably more, when we had to call our plow guy.   Missus BB wants a Quad but not sure she really needs one?   She plants lots of stuff, but no serious landscaping that would justify it.  OTOH, it may happen, happy wife, happy life!! :D

Don't do it Billy! 

She owes you big time for the 20 years she's gotten out of painting!  

4 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Get her a garden tractor - quads are a backyard version of Jet Skis.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, On The Hard said:

, happy wife, happy life!! :D

That's what I keep hearing..........from ,my wife!

Every man in a happy and successful marriage knows that SWMBO is not just a saying.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Get her a garden tractor - quads are a backyard version of Jet Skis.

No, I am talking about a work Quad, which has a dump body, and attachment points for mowers, plows, etc.  Not the kind that kids ride like a dirt bike...

• Like 1

Wife wants one too, for putting around our subdivision and visiting friends. However, she's backed off, seeing how vigorously I was nodding my head.  ;)

• Like 1
11 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Do you know how many of we older folks die of heart attacks every year, while shoveling snow?

I will call "my guy" to come and plow. And will be very careful while shoveling the walkway to the driveway and garage......

Which is why I sit my ass inside a skid loader, backhoe or some other mechanized enclosed climate controlled piece of equipment at work when dealing with  snow....

management has some privileges.  

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Wife wants one too, for putting around our subdivision and visiting friends. However, she's backed off, seeing how vigorously I was nodding my head.  ;)

I just bought an E-Bike for $900.00, so had to stroke her a check for the same amount!  Now she may have to part with some of that for a $700.00 Vet bill!

I had a SNOW day !!! 1st one in 2 years (without virtual BS learning)   spent the day lounging around and then shopping for gin and then the late afternoon and evening tasting gin with some of my crew...........SPECTACULAR day... 3 inches. was perfect. not enough to be a huge PIA but enough to make things look all white and wintery

1 hour ago, billy backstay said:

I just bought an E-Bike for $900.00, so had to stroke her a check for the same amount!  Now she may have to part with some of that for a $700.00 Vet bill!

14 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Didn't help that our friends up the street got a Quad because she want to drive around in our large subdivision in a stately fashion and see all her buddies.  He however, immediately started bolting on knobby tires, lights, winches, waterproof air cleaners, etc. and brought it back thick with mud after spending an afternoon bogging in our swales. My Department of Fun Prevention was no longer as interested.

Sorry about your pet.  I'm having some issues with my 14 YO Gersky.  But, I'd rather have less money and more dog.  

• Like 1

Charlie,  you need to convince her that ,,

10 minutes ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

,,, knobby tires, lights, winches, waterproof air cleaners, etc ,,,

Are VITAL accessories, needed for HER comfort, safety, utility,, 

and, MOST importantly,  STATUS as the "coolest quad in the 'hood" ,,

B) ,, , as she cruises in stately fashion and see all her buddies

2 minutes ago, Mike in Seattle said:

Charlie,  you need to convince her that ,,

Are VITAL accessories, needed for HER comfort, safety, utility,, 

and, MOST importantly,  STATUS as the "coolest quad in the 'hood" ,,

B) ,, , as she cruises in stately fashion and see all her buddies

As SWMBO would say; "After all these years, you think I haven't heard that line of bullshit before???"  ;)

29 minutes ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Sorry about your pet.  I'm having some issues with my 14 YO Gersky.  But, I'd rather have less money and more dog.  

Thanks CF!  Sunny is a 16yo spayed female orange Tiger cat.  She is a love bug!!  Purrs constantly and very friendly to us, unlike her slightly younger, from a different litter, of the same Mom is a grey tiger, and she hides under beds, and wants nothing to do with petting or cuddling.  When I give her a treat and reach down to pet her, she immediately takes off.

Sunny had a tiny wound on the large pad of her left front paw, 6 months ago, only the size of a pencil eraser.  Over the intervening time, she constantly licked and chewed on it, until it became a larger bleeding wound, tracking blood all over the furniture and Orientals, etc.  I finally wrapped it carefully with gauze, and paper tape, carefully so as not too tight to cut off blood flow.   A DVM on here PM'd me and warned about that.  He also said it can be a precursor to Cancer.  So the Vet patched her up with stitches and put a cone on her head, so she can't chew it anymore.  An X-ray found no cancer in the lungs, and tissue biopsy results will arrive in a week.  She has to wear the cone for 10 days when we go to get the stitches out.  We were supposed to to leave on the 20th for 7 days in Charleston, with our daughters, and stay at the Beach house on Sullivan's Island.  I think we are gonna bail on the trip now.  Daughter is  6 months pregnant and I am so paranoid of her being around people, including us.  I would like nothing more than to get away from this cold for a week, but concerned about Britt, and leaving the cat.......

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

As SWMBO would say; "After all these years, you think I haven't heard that line of bullshit before???"  ;)

, yeah,  doesn't usually work for me either,, 

Good luck with your kitty, Backstay. 

Jack is 11, and slowing down,, doesn't leap up to snatch squirrels off the fence like he used to.

On 1/7/2022 at 9:46 AM, Willin' said:

We were over on Arrowsic Island yesterday for a dogwalk and passed a black ice pond. Used to love skating that stuff as a kid but it doesn't happen around here much anymore. Snow fucks up everything.

That was fucking amazing.

At 1:40, you can see the ice flex under the weight of the skater; it's like a slow shallow wave propagating throughout the ice sheet. Wow...

1 hour ago, Laurent said:

That was fucking amazing.

At 1:40, you can see the ice flex under the weight of the skater; it's like a slow shallow wave propagating throughout the ice sheet. Wow...

I was wondering if anyone else would notice that. That guy knows his shit. Also, I've never seen DIN standard step in skates before. That was pretty awesome too.

24 minutes ago, Willin' said:

I was wondering if anyone else would notice that. That guy knows his shit. Also, I've never seen DIN standard step in skates before. That was pretty awesome too.

That was very cool!!  And it's going to be 46 degrees Fahrenheit tomorrow night, Yipee skippy!!

2 hours ago, Willin' said:

Do the ice sounds send creepies up the spine of anyone else?  

46 minutes ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

I wase runneng three an haffe miles overe a frozzen baye at nite, the rolleng cracks sounded licke undewatere thunder.  Thhat wase creepey.                       :)

1 hour ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

It is very creepy, but it is magical and beautiful noise coming from all directions! ! 

It was great at the moment when the ice slightly buckled, just a little bit towards the shoreline.

And the scientific factoids in the lower left screen corner were very interesting!!  I always love to learn about arcane stuff like that!

Black ice only 2 inches think, safe to skate on because of water pressure below, and sideways pressure on the shores!

There was another comment regarding the weather conditions above the ice, but I don't recall...   I love that science stuff!! 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Snaggletooth said:

I wase runneng three an haffe miles overe a frozzen baye at nite, the rolleng cracks sounded licke undewatere thunder.  Thhat wase creepey.                       :)

Never ran, walked or skated on an ice covered lake. Something unsettling about that to someone born in a desert.  

We were up in Banff one winter and took a day off from skiing to drive around. There are lakes here and there in the Bow Valley and this one north of Norquay was stunning with the mountains all around it. We're out walking around on the ice and slowly notice these scritch, scritch noises coming from a mile or more across the lake and then we could pick up voices and laughter. When they finally came into view these 3 chicks looked to be having the time of their lives on that while not perfectly clear still nearly flawless ice.

I've always wanted to try big ice skating.

Sometimes at night I can hear the ice crack
It sounds like thunder and it rips through my back
Sometimes in the morning I still hear the sound
Ice meets metal
"Can't you drive me down to the big league?"

Tom Cochrane

• Like 2

Listening to break up on the Connecticut river in Brattleboro. is an awesome experience.

I used to love to wake up in the middle of the night when the little river next to our house in CT would break up in the old days. Ice 12-16" thick just piling up on each other like cards being shuffled. The road, and the guard rails were mere play things....

thumbnail?appid=YMailNorrin

A little before my time, but the same house, carriage house, river, and road.

SON OF A BITCH! WHY CAN'T I POST PICTURES ALL OF A SUDDEN?

14 hours ago, billy backstay said:

It is very creepy, but it is magical and beautiful noise coming from all directions! ! 

It was great at the moment when the ice slightly buckled, just a little bit towards the shoreline.

And the scientific factoids in the lower left screen corner were very interesting!!  I always love to learn about arcane stuff like that!

Black ice only 2 inches think, safe to skate on because of water pressure below, and sideways pressure on the shores!

There was another comment regarding the weather conditions above the ice, but I don't recall...   I love that science stuff!! 

I spent a lot of time along Lake Erie growing up, all year round.  

When the lake wasn't frozen there was always some kind sound.  Even if the lake was very calm, you could hear the little waves gently lapping the shore line.

When the lake was frozen, it was eerie (No pun intended!).  Usually no sound, no movement, so unlike any other season.  Except sometimes you would hear this loud cracking and groaning sound as the ice would fracture from hidden forces.  That was very cool.

On 1/8/2022 at 10:50 AM, billy backstay said:

No, I am talking about a work Quad, which has a dump body, and attachment points for mowers, plows, etc.  Not the kind that kids ride like a dirt bike...

Still a toy.

Get a baby tractor like my 18HP Kubota. 4WD, hydraulics, can take a small front end loader, mid and rear PTO, 3 point linkage.

I could drag pretty much any quad whimpering & screaming its tyres backwards.

FKT

1 hour ago, Snaggletooth said:

Billey,

Getta classic, a workhourse, and fun thinge to bringe to Chelsea Tractore Parrade...........

Ford-Model-8N-Tractor.jpg

just sayeng.......               :)

The only tractors I ever drove were Fords.  I liked them just fine except the one with the oil clutch and a rear mounted fork lift.  That was a little dicey!  If there's a smooth way to shift an oil clutch, I never figured it out and I can drive with a normal clutch so it feels like an automatic.  Well over half of the cars I've owned in my life were standard shift including my current one which I've had for 10 years now.

There is a HUGE Tractor Parade, in the neighboring town of Chester, CT.  I don't remember when it is, maybe in February or March?

But it is HUGE Event, for such a small town. 

I think a lot of local guys in our Rural area are just "into tractors",  like I am into Beamers and older Classic resto-mod mini coopers.....

8 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

So, you our adgreeng Ed?

Yeah.  When it comes to a tractor, go big or go home.  

Just avoid the oil clutch!

We lived in a small but beautiful apartment above 1 Main Street in Chester, for three years, before we moved to Deep River in February 2019.  Wonderful location!!  Liquor store across the street, and Coffee shop 40 steps from our front door.  Missus BB named it the "16 Step Cafe", for the steps needed to get up to the apartment.  There were like 13 part Ogee moldings along and around the top of the walls, and a beautiful proscenium above the sink across from the cooktop in a marble countertop, and maple cutting board area.  The previous owner had a cooking school there, and the long dining "Farm table" was pushed over to the cooking counter, then moved back to the dining area five feet away.  TV is hidden behind a hinged painting above the gas log fireplace.   Tiny room that became my office, and no bedroom, just a tiny bunk room, like on a boat.  Deck overlooking the Pattaconk Brook which ran along the stone foundation below.  Front row seating for the annual winter parade with the tractor parade.  Sunday farmers market every Sunday through summer, shut the street town from car traffic.  We would still be there but the landlady was crazy, wouldn't fix anything, and kept jacking up the rent.  When the ice maker in the fridge broke, she told me to go to Walmart and buy some plastic ice trays, WTF?   So we found our present home a wonderful 1400 SF Ranch with a full walkout basement and 700 SF Garage Loft Apartment.  Missus BB named our new place, "The Final Cafe", which our daughter thought was kind of maudlin!!!   I wake up to a beautiful view of the CT River and all the woodlands around the southern end of Selden's Island.  210 elevation above sea level, so if the Glaciers melt before our time, we will be just fine.   Life is good!!   

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Billey,

Getta classic, a workhourse, and fun thinge to bringe to Chelsea Tractore Parrade...........

Ford-Model-8N-Tractor.jpg

just sayeng.......               :)

378341743_download(1).jpg.e6bcf724e5ff33ec179cfe04e45a15a0.jpg

14 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

If it's worth doing...

Hemmings Auctions | 1963 Porsche JuniorLamborghini Runner 250 Jet Spare Parts Catalog download | Tractors,  Lamborghini, Tractor parts

download.jpg.105aa26a3788af24d73e40cede444ee6.jpg