Perhaps I should call this 'no masking tape' rant. Couple of years ago we bought quite a nice house except that the entire interior had been painted in the most unattractive shades of shitty brown. Plus, a PO thought he was a great pro painter and did not use any masking tape. What made it worse is that he worked at a Home Depot store and likely had a discount on the stuff. After weeks of work the house was repainted in much brighter, and apparently fashionable, light gray tones. Now on to the boat recently purchased, the very first Nonsuch. Some PO also thought that masking tape was for pussies so there are lots of swatches of various teak finishes where there should not be. Currently redoing the interior with a complete deck repaint to come.

Now if I can digress from my own thread, when various things, winches and what not, were taken off the deck smaller holes were filled with what appears to be silicone seal. Holes too big for silicone were just covered up with duct tape. Now, to be fair it appears to be very good quality duct tape. Did I mention core repairs I am doing ...

I feel (somewhat) better now. Thank you ... and yes I am using masking tape for all work, including some of the fancy 3M vinyl tape for sharp lines on deck.

43 minutes ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

Now if I can digress from my own thread, when various things, winches and what not, were taken off the deck smaller holes were filled with what appears to be silicone seal. Holes too big for silicone were just covered up with duct tape. Now, to be fair it appears to be very good quality duct tape. Did I mention core repairs I am doing ...

I feel (somewhat) better now. Thank you ... and yes I am using masking tape for all work, including some of the fancy 3M vinyl tape for sharp lines on deck.

I feel your pain.

150 holes on the Irwin 30 so far - but I am about done. Was going to deck paint in this coming spring, but likely delayed for another year. We have decided to kick back the first 9 months of the year, spots and all!  Recovery year from last year.  But at least silicone does wrap around a drill bit quite nicely.

Masking tape is so 20th century!  All the cool kids use that blue painters tape nowadays.  

But of course duct tape is the go to for almost any permanent repair as you noticed.  Or as we used to call it in the Army, 'Hunnert mile an hour tape'.  'Cause you can even go 100 mph and that shit still won't come off.  As long as you use the good shit, not the made in China shit.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, dfw_sailor said:

I feel your pain.

150 holes on the Irwin 30 so far - but I am about done. Was going to deck paint in this coming spring, but likely delayed for another year. We have decided to kick back the first 9 months of the year, spots and all!  Recovery year from last year.  But at least silicone does wrap around a drill bit quite nicely.

I am having that problem now.  Stuff put down with silicone apparently on the original 1988 build.  How do you get that stuff off to paint over it?

Just now, bridhb said:

I am having that problem now.  Stuff put down with silicone apparently on the original 1988 build.  How do you get that stuff off to paint over it?

If it's in the hole, we drill out bigger for fresh material, then widen out the top with a countersink, then fill with micro fibre filler / poly mix. Larger holes - glass etc.

Stuff on the surface though... super sharp new blade horizontally to get the worst, then crud cutter, then 120 grit, 200 grit etc.

Our boat is a '73 polyester, so we stay with that, plus we dont have to worry about protective primer on top of epoxy.  

Reminds me of a long-ago instance!!  Missus BB was helping me paint one of our rental condos.  She carefully masked the wood floors next to the shoe molding.  Then she slapped the paint on so sloppily that after the masking tape was removed, she spent 3 times fixing it, than it took her to apply the masking tape, in the first place!!  

She has not been allowed near a paintbrush since, and this was 20 years ago!!

1 hour ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

Perhaps I should call this 'no masking tape' rant. Couple of years ago we bought quite a nice house except that the entire interior had been painted in the most unattractive shades of shitty brown. Plus, a PO thought he was a great pro painter and did not use any masking tape. What made it worse is that he worked at a Home Depot store and likely had a discount on the stuff. After weeks of work the house was repainted in much brighter, and apparently fashionable, light gray tones. Now on to the boat recently purchased, the very first Nonsuch. Some PO also thought that masking tape was for pussies so there are lots of swatches of various teak finishes where there should not be. Currently redoing the interior with a complete deck repaint to come.

I'm sorry, I have to step away.  You just used the word silicone and I through up a little in my mouth.  Seriously.  Silicone should never come near a boat of any type.  Never.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Did you really think she messed up the job out of carelessness?  

She hasn't had to paint for 20 years now! 

Think Billy, think!

Well played Mrs. Backstay, well played indeed.  :lol: 

• Like 3
59 minutes ago, bridhb said:

Razor blade to start.  Remove every last bit.  If it's in a hole, you overdrill.  Then overdrill again.  Then fill the hole.  Then redrill it to the correct size.  Then degrease the outer surface.  Then sand that.

And when you're all done and try to lay some paint down, it's still going to fisheye away from the microscopic bits of silicone that you didn't get.

1 hour ago, Ed Lada said:

Masking tape is so 20th century!  All the cool kids use that blue painters tape nowadays. 

Maybe the kids from your side of the tracks, the cooler kids (my side) are using.....  :P

showimg.php__69605.1475112484.600.600.pn

2 minutes ago, Ventucky Red said:

Maybe the kids from your side of the tracks, the cooler kids (my side) are using.....  :P

It's all that lefty PC shit nowadays.  I'm seeing it in all of the colors of the rainbow lately.

1 minute ago, Ventucky Red said:

Gotta be careful.  For instance, Frog brand masking tape and Awlgrip don't get along very well.  Something about the solvent in the Awlgrip that will eat into the edge of the Frog and not end well for your nice straight line.

20 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

I know there are some awesome puns available but think it might be too soon so will just taper off.

It is too soon for the un-masked.

• Like 4
19 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Did you really think she messed up the job out of carelessness?  

She hasn't had to paint for 20 years now! 

Think Billy, think!

Well played Mrs. Backstay, well played indeed.  :lol: 

One of my personal rules:  "Never get good at something you don't like to do".  It's a bit passive-aggressive, but so what?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Ed Lada said:

Masking tape is so 20th century!  All the cool kids use that blue green painters tape nowadays.  

But of course duct tape is the go to for almost any permanent repair as you noticed.  Or as we used to call it in the Army, 'Hunnert mile an hour tape'.  'Cause you can even go 100 mph and that shit still won't come off.  As long as you use the good shit, not the made in China shit.

45 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

I'm sorry, I have to step away.  You just used the word silicone and I through up a little in my mouth.  Seriously.  Silicone should never come near a boat of any type.  Never.

Dow 795 is silicone.

Be specific about it - no bathroom/household silicone should go near a boat.

1 hour ago, billy backstay said:

Reminds me of a long-ago instance!!  Missus BB was helping me paint one of our rental condos.  She carefully masked the wood floors next to the shoe molding.  Then she slapped the paint on so sloppily that after the masking tape was removed, she spent 3 times fixing it, than it took her to apply the masking tape, in the first place!!  

Ever think it was a carefully conceived plan on her part? OOPS, Ed beat me to it.

49 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

Vwap for the counter point

Saline, Is Fine/Best Beneath and OnDeck most any Boat

unless passing the Captain's Wife, then it's hide Down Below fursure

thought that was disgust here awhile back ??

59 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

Gotta be careful.  For instance, Frog brand masking tape and Awlgrip don't get along very well.  Something about the solvent in the Awlgrip that will eat into the edge of the Frog and not end well for your nice straight line.

My question is if we put it on your mouth, will it keep it shut?  :lol::D:P:)

She understood the assignment. 

I’m going to disagree about using tape when you are cutting by brush. I was a professional painter for too long, I tried all the latest new fangeled masking tape, but I still got paint creep. I am just one of those folks that can cut a straight line with a good quality brush better then most folks can by using tape.

Now if I am spraying masking tape is the way to go.

• Like 5

SWMBO is a terrible painter. I'm pretty blind. But I can paint quite well as long as she points out where I missed. So it works out. 

Few years back I'm going over to Catalina for a few days and she's staying behind. She decides that she's going to paint the bedroom while I'm gone. Moves the furniture to the middle of the room (I always remove it, unless the room is huge), drapes a dropcloth over it all. Proceeds to get paint splatter everywhere. The doors. The windows. The sliding door. And, of course, all over the floor where she didn't mask. 

But wait, there's more. I come back early due to mech failure or something. I walk in, she's mid paint, and had just kicked over a gallon of paint onto the floor. She had that "caught in the act" look bigtime. 4-6 hours of cleanup later, and we had a new crappy paint job. (She can sand drywall though, so we got that going for us)

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Dow 795 is silicone.

Be specific about it - no bathroom/household silicone should go near a boat.

Agreed. And 795 should only be used for exactly what it was designed for. Other than that, no silicone on a boat. Good grief do I despise the POs of both my boats.  Stripped screw hole in fiberglass? Sure, the right fix is fill it with silicone and put the screw back in, right? dumbazzes...

2 minutes ago, gptyk said:

Stripped screw hole in fiberglass? Sure, the right fix is fill it with silicone and put the screw back in, right? dumbazzes...

That makes me cry.

8 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

That makes me cry.

Damn right Skippy.  It made me cry too!

Everybody knows you fix a stripped screw hole by supergluing the screw in the hole.  The key is to use the thick superglue because it will fill a void to a point.  Sheesh!

If you have ACE hardware, their Blue Tape is hands down better than 3M.

The excess varnish in your boat sucks, the boat Scot Tempesta bought from us the owner prior to us did not use any tape.  Varnish was on everything. Prolly spent a day and a half removing varnish overage.  I used single side straight edge razor blades, scraped at an angle going into the varnish. Stubburn spots kept the blade 90-degrees to the surface and just scrape back and forth.  Used lacquer thinner in big quantities too, I mean, who needs a liver?

2 hours ago, billy backstay said:

you're wife if smarter than you... he he..

32 minutes ago, Glenn McCarthy said:

I mean, who needs a liver?

Well, as long as your asking...

Do you have an extra one?  Asking for a friend.

Tape is for drunks. That's why I paint before noon.... (Or 9AM on weekends)

1 minute ago, Mrleft8 said:

Tape is for drunks. That's why I paint before noon.... (Or 9AM on weekends)

There is some good advice there!   Last summer we had the house and garage painted by a Tenant who was out of work and couldn't pay his rent.  The one time our Garage Loft Tenant helped him, he had to go back and repaint all of those areas, that did not have enough paint applied!!

5 hours ago, bridhb said:

Sharp blade to start with, but you'll never get it all out of the pores without some chemical help.

siliconeadhesiveremover.jpg.3c3652328b9857acdeb69c53bd35a91c.jpg

4 hours ago, Borax Johnson said:

Masking tape is so 20th century!  All the cool kids use that blue green painters tape nowadays.  

The green painter's tape is shit. One day in the sun and it is stuck forever. 3M blue is the only one I'll use now, I have had too many problems with inferior products.

4 hours ago, Grrr... said:

Frog tape is designed to work with latex paints. It doesn't work well at all with solvent-based products.

2 hours ago, gptyk said:

SWMBO is a terrible painter. I'm pretty blind. But I can paint quite well as long as she points out where I missed. So it works out. 

Few years back I'm going over to Catalina for a few days and she's staying behind. She decides that she's going to paint the bedroom while I'm gone. Moves the furniture to the middle of the room (I always remove it, unless the room is huge), drapes a dropcloth over it all. Proceeds to get paint splatter everywhere. The doors. The windows. The sliding door. And, of course, all over the floor where she didn't mask. 

But wait, there's more. I come back early due to mech failure or something. I walk in, she's mid paint, and had just kicked over a gallon of paint onto the floor. She had that "caught in the act" look bigtime. 4-6 hours of cleanup later, and we had a new crappy paint job. (She can sand drywall though, so we got that going for us

My wife is not that bad but pretty bad. She doesn't remove hardware - doorknobs, switch plates etc. before painting.

Doesn't even mask them and can't cut in worth shit so I do all the painting. I even remove doors & hinges so all hardware stays looking nice.

She's a whiz at mudding & patching drywall though so...

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

The green painter's tape is shit. One day in the sun and it is stuck forever. 3M blue is the only one I'll use now, I have had too many problems with inferior products.

I made up a simple mnemonic years ago so I could remember which one to use = "green is good, but blue is better". Works for me.

23 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Years ago I learned that if 3M makes it, that's the one to use.

Great company.

Twenty something years ago we developed and patented machines that used 2 and 3" packing tape. 3M was the only thing reliable that worked well - premium price, premium quality. We tried products from other vendors and going cheap never worked. Years ago I read up on 3M and their focus was on research so when a product became a commodity they would innovate and move on.

5 hours ago, valis said:

One of my personal rules:  "Never get good at something you don't like to do".  It's a bit passive-aggressive, but so what?

Well fuck that. My neighborhood band just voted me bass player. After I wasted all that time learning 7th chords n'shit

- DSK

• Like 1
Just now, Steam Flyer said:

Well fuck that. My neighborhood band just voted me bass player. After I wasted all that time learning 7th chords n'shit

- DSK

Count yourself lucky they didn't vote you go-go dancer.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Grrr... said:

I don't allow it on my jobsites except for shower glass installation, nothing will stick wherever silicone is used ever again. Ever. 

Silicone looks best on pole dancers.... And that's about it....

image.png.86a9535b56be904d48a743762f6709dd.png

8 hours ago, Ishmael said:

I have had too many problems with inferior products.

Yeah, I know the feeling.

That's why I've been married 3 times.

17 hours ago, Grrr... said:

Frog Tape only properly works with waterbased paint.  The water activates the sealant on the edge of the tape.

18 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

All tape is made in China.  3M's main tape plants are in China.   How do i know?  I used to have to custom order specialty tapes from 3M and had to figure out factory lead times for 24-36 weeks out(pre pandemic) i would hate to figure it out now.

18 hours ago, Wetabehindtheears said:

I’m going to disagree about using tape when you are cutting by brush. I was a professional painter for too long, I tried all the latest new fangeled masking tape, but I still got paint creep. I am just one of those folks that can cut a straight line with a good quality brush better then most folks can by using tape.

Pro painters are a treat to watch and do wonderful work. My problem has been with POs (house and boat) who thought they were pro quality painters.

1 minute ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

Pro painters are a treat to watch and do wonderful work. My problem has been with POs (house and boat) who thought they were pro quality painters.

I understand completely. In my career I have been hired to straighten out bad painting jobs more times then I can remember. 

Just a short story about an interior designer and frog tape.

Back in the early 2000’s when burgundy accent walls where all the rage, I was remodeling a beach front condo for a know it all interior decorator. The condo was built in the 1970’s and there wasn’t a straight or true corner to be found in the whole unit. Of course Mrs Designer wanted burgundy accent walls in every room. As some may know burgundy requires at least three coats to cover well. As a professional that has done this plenty of times I would cut the first and second coat reasonably close and on the final I would make it laser straight. 
Well Mrs Know it All started to criticize my cut in, and insisted I use Frog Tape to make the line straight in the crooked corners. After some discussion back and forth, I insisted that she tape off all the right corners in the rooms with her miracle Frog Tape and meanwhile I will hand cut all the left corners. As predicted her side looked like crap with paint creep under the tape on the other walls, which of course I had to touch up. She never came back to the job as long as I was there. Needless to say that was the last time I ever worked for her.

Did I mention my disdain for interior decorators? :lol:

• Like 1
20 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Very smart woman...  :). You married up...  LOL

18 hours ago, gptyk said:

Stripped screw hole in fiberglass? Sure, the right fix is fill it with silicone and put the screw back in, right? dumbazzes...

18 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Damn right Skippy.  It made me cry too!

Everybody knows you fix a stripped screw hole by supergluing the screw in the hole.  The key is to use the thick superglue because it will fill a void to a point.  Sheesh!

PO of my center console did better then that.  Screw head broke off, so what did they do?  Why, fiberglass over the fucker.  Problem solved!  I'm waiting to replace the whole leaning post because not only was this done once, but six fucking times.  When I do install a new drivers seating setup then I'll have todrill them all out, fill with microballoons and glass in the new base.  My OCD won't let me do it any other way but the right way.

• Like 1

The 20 foot Sea Ox CC we just bought had screw holes where trim tabs had been.  This boat does NOT need tabs!  Never needed them on the 23' Mako either.  But I will have to drill out the holes and fill, so thinking West System with microballons is the way to go?  Or, if not I am open for suggestions, or I guess I could just read the whole thread??  :(  Or let the pros do it, so long as they are doing it properly....    As we get older we sometimes realize the best tool for a job, is the checkbook!

7 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

The 20 foot Sea Ox CC we just bought had screw holes where trim tabs had been.  This boat does NOT need tabs!  Never needed them on the 23' Mako either.  But I will have to drill out the holes and fill, so thinking West System with microballons is the way to go?  Or, if not I am open for suggestions, or I guess I could just read the whole thread??  :(  Or let the pros do it, so long as they are doing it properly....    As we get older we sometimes realize the best tool for a job, is the checkbook!

I beg to differ.  My 20' Mako has trim tabs and I use the dog shit out of them.  Does it NEED them?  No, you're right.....but I find them very helpful in all kinds of situations, especially with the new Zuke 4-stroke 175.

As for the holes I would do West System with microballons then a layer of resin over them just to seal them up if you won't paint over them.  I swear by the West System + microballoons equation.  I have with all my boats.  I went through a metric shit ton doing my Melges 24 rebuild.

4 minutes ago, Jkdubz808 said:

I beg to differ.  My 20' Mako has trim tabs and I use the dog shit out of them.  Does it NEED them?  No, you're right.....but I find them very helpful in all kinds of situations, especially with the new Zuke 4-stroke 175.

As for the holes I would do West System with microballons then a layer of resin over them just to seal them up if you won't paint over them.  I swear by the West System + microballoons equation.  I have with all my boats.  I went through a metric shit ton doing my Melges 24 rebuild.

This is for casual River cruises on pleasant days, only!  On my Mako the engine tilt trim did all that I needed to properly trim out the boat, so we're going with the KISS method again, Keep It Simple Stupid....:D

2 hours ago, billy backstay said:

This is for casual River cruises on pleasant days, only!  On my Mako the engine tilt trim did all that I needed to properly trim out the boat, so we're going with the KISS method again, Keep It Simple Stupid....:D

Good plan.  I use mine a lot to trim out the boat with the bowgirl, kids and gear when it is unbalanced, otherwise yeah the trim on the motor does it like yours.  I take mine 15+ miles offshore looking for fish when not doing sandbar days with the family.  Makes a good R/C boat as well for the sailing center regattas.

4 hours ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

Pro painters are a treat to watch and do wonderful work.

The only time I've watched pros for a whole job was when we moved out of a rental years ago.

3 bedroom townhouse. I was moving us singlehanded so it took me the whole day. 2 painters showed up after my first trip and were gone before I got back from the last - whole place had been painted inside.

I couldn't believe it was possible to do it that fast.

Just now, SloopJonB said:

The only time I've watched pros for a whole job was when we moved out of a rental years ago.

3 bedroom townhouse. I was moving us singlehanded so it took me the whole day. 2 painters showed up after my first trip and were gone before I got back from the last - whole place had been painted inside.

I couldn't believe it was possible to do it that fast.

It's like any skill, the more you practice the better you get.  You do it 8-10 hours every day, you get better, quicker.  I don't think painting is any more difficult than any other job in the trades, it's just that many people don't like to paint because it can get messy and requires more patience and attention to detail than something like rough carpentry.

I never liked to paint but I was OK at it.  After I graduated from college, and I needed money, my landlord needed the 90 year old house I lived in painted.  he hired a few half assed painters to do it and they quickly quit because the house was huge, 2 full floors (9' interior ceilings), a high attic, about 45' across the front and about 65' deep with plenty of wood framed windows, and lots of wood soffit and fascia.  It was originally a side by side duplex, but had been divided into 4 apartments.  At least it had old, smooth, faded aluminum siding, not wood siding.  I think think the peak of the roof was 35' from the ground.  Well, he offered a good amount of money ($1,200 in 1986, and he provided all of the paint and brushes and rollers) so I said I would do it.  By the time I finished, I had become a pretty good painter.  I rented enough scaffold to reach the peak of the roof and built a tower.  I borrowed an extension ladder and a pick, so I could do an entire side without moving too much stuff to reach everything.  I used about 25 gallons of latex on the siding and around 12 gallons of oil paint on the wood, the landlord wanted 2 coats on everything.  About halfway through the job, I was actually starting to enjoy the work.  It took me a month but there were a lot of rain delays.  $1,200 bought a lot of ramen noodles back then.  I drove by the house about 15 years later and my paint job still looked good.  I ended up doing a lot of painting jobs interior and exterior after that.  But I still wouldn't want to be a painter for a career.

1 minute ago, Ed Lada said:

But I still wouldn't want to be a painter for a career.

I did quality varnish brightwork when I was running a boat at age 27.   Not interested in doing that anymore!! :P

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

It's like any skill, the more you practice the better you get.  You do it 8-10 hours every day, you get better, quicker.  I don't think painting is any more difficult than any other job in the trades, it's just that many people don't like to paint because it can get messy and requires more patience and attention to detail than something like rough carpentry.

I never liked to paint but I was OK at it.  After I graduated from college, and I needed money, my landlord needed the 90 year old house I lived in painted.  he hired a few half assed painters to do it and they quickly quit because the house was huge, 2 full floors (9' interior ceilings), a high attic, about 45' across the front and about 65' deep with plenty of wood framed windows, and lots of wood soffit and fascia.  It was originally a side by side duplex, but had been divided into 4 apartments.  At least it had old, smooth, faded aluminum siding, not wood siding.  I think think the peak of the roof was 35' from the ground.  Well, he offered a good amount of money ($1,200 in 1986, and he provided all of the paint and brushes and rollers) so I said I would do it.  By the time I finished, I had become a pretty good painter.  I rented enough scaffold to reach the peak of the roof and built a tower.  I borrowed an extension ladder and a pick, so I could do an entire side without moving too much stuff to reach everything.  I used about 25 gallons of latex on the siding and around 12 gallons of oil paint on the wood, the landlord wanted 2 coats on everything.  About halfway through the job, I was actually starting to enjoy the work.  It took me a month but there were a lot of rain delays.  $1,200 bought a lot of ramen noodles back then.  I drove by the house about 15 years later and my paint job still looked good.  I ended up doing a lot of painting jobs interior and exterior after that.  But I still wouldn't want to be a painter for a career.

I painted my first house exterior at 15.

I've painted 4 exteriors and countless interiors - at least once pretty much every place I've lived.

I don't mind it once I get started but I don't like getting started. I really need to do all 2900' of this place but... 

1 minute ago, SloopJonB said:

I painted my first house exterior at 15.

I've painted 4 exteriors and countless interiors - at least once pretty much every place I've lived.

I don't mind it once I get started but I don't like getting started. I really need to do all 2900' of this place but... 

WTF, at your age just hire somebody.

I am physically unable to do any kind of manual labor anymore but I hate having anybody here do work on my house.  I like it done my way and I do good work.  Workers here work cheap but they have a mind of their own even when they're good.   

When we had the Japanese garden done, we had new grass seeded for a short distance along the side of the house.  It came in nicely and was the only nice grass on the property.  I like to leave it long because there are flat stones leading through the garden and it looks nice with the longer grass.  Then there is gravel still with the stepping stones.

Our regular garden people, a husband and wife, were already under strict instructions to not touch anything in the large Japanese garden, which only left cutting the shitty grass as well as the nice grass and a little work around some ornamental trees in front.  I told the husband to use the gas push mower and set it high because I wanted the new grass to be longer than the other grass. Well the fucking idiot used a weed whacker instead  and destroyed the new grass, leaving open patches of dirt everywhere.  The wife begged me to just let her clean some weeds poking out of the pine bark chips around the plants in the Japanese garden.  I relented and went in the house.  After they left, I came outside and I saw that while pulling the weeds, the bulky weed roots sprayed pine bark all over the gravel path through that part of the garden, and she didn't think to pick it out from the white stones on the path.  WTF!!!.  I told my wife those halfwits  are not allowed at our house ever again.  The lady that designed and planted the Japanese garden does all of the work on it and she knows what she's doing.

Before the new garden and after.  The after photo is of about 1/4 of the whole garden.  It goes down one side of the house and then across the back of the yard between the back fence and the pool. The corner in the before photo is behind the pine tree in the after photo.

before.jpg

After.jpg

I hate having anybody here do work on my house.

The operative words.

Hiring people to do things I'm perfectly capable of doing makes me feel vaguely inadequate.

But as I become more & more physically inadequate I am learning. :D

12 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I hate having anybody here do work on my house.

Me too. Mostly the same reason, but I once hired a painter. The job was terrible. I had to re-do it. And I can't see for crap. 

Stucco, OTOH, stucco is some kind of witchcraft or sorcery. If I do it, stucco goes up on the wall. Stucco falls off the wall. Repeat until trowel is thrown as far as the damn thing will go. 

.... And how about plumber's thread tape? Every time I need some I have to go and buy a roll. I must have 300 rolls of thread tape here. When I don't need it, I'm tripping over the stuff. Try to thread in a new propane fitting? There's not a roll to be found anywhere on the fucking property. Tomorrow, after I buy another roll, I'll run across at least 2 dozen nearly full rolls.

• Like 2
On 1/8/2022 at 5:21 AM, billy backstay said:

Well, that worked out well for her, didn't it.... must try that next time my GF wants help painting at her place.

FKT

6 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

.... And how about plumber's thread tape? Every time I need some I have to go and buy a roll. I must have 300 rolls of thread tape here. When I don't need it, I'm tripping over the stuff. Try to thread in a new propane fitting? There's not a roll to be found anywhere on the fucking property. Tomorrow, after I buy another roll, I'll run across at least 2 dozen nearly full rolls.

Have you considered a drawer in your toolbox just for tape?

Since we all have at least a dozen kinds of tape it makes sense.

4 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:
On 1/7/2022 at 10:21 AM, billy backstay said:

Well, that worked out well for her, didn't it.... must try that next time my GF wants help painting at her place.

I used a similar technique for cooking decades ago.

It really works.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I used a similar technique for cooking decades ago.

It really works.

When SWMBO doesn't feel like making a dinner meal for us, I just call up the local Pizza place, and "I make dinner", sort of...  Small sausage and mushroom pizza, with onions on her half, and extra cooked to make the crust crunchy!!:)  Often I get her a Greek Salad to go along.....

And in her defense, she had spent the last 2 days, making a huge KILLER split and ham soup!  It's much better with the "French" split peas, she got from "misfit markets", ugly veggies and stuff rejected from the normal stores.  She also made an awesome, HUGE meatloaf the day before.  

Life is good!

On 1/7/2022 at 1:02 PM, Wetabehindtheears said:

It's what seems to allow professionals to make money, and it tends to look even sharper without the tape. 

I've watched a pro do it, when he got close to the trim, he did the opposite of what the amateur would do. Rather than touch gently, like I do, he really dug in and used the edges of the brush in a way that I wouldn't expect would give a clean line, but it did.

Given enough time, I can fake a half-decent job of taping and mudding. But professional texturing and paint look like professional texturing and paint.

9 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Small sausage

TMI Billy!

Between you, and SJB describing all of the different kinds of tape the he keeps in a 'special drawer', this thread has taken a disturbing turn.  :blink:

56 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

TMI Billy!

Between you, and SJB describing all of the different kinds of tape the he keeps in a 'special drawer', this thread has taken a disturbing turn.  :blink:

"small sausage pizza", pay attention Ed!  You are the one with fading faculties, not I!!   

Off to the grocers now with my NIOSH N95 mask, stay safe!!

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

"small sausage pizza", pay attention Ed!  You are the one with fading faculties, not I!!   

Off to the grocers now with my NIOSH N95 mask, stay safe!!

Ah c'mon Billy, you know I love ya!  It's a quiet Sunday here and I'm just having some fun.  

I do have to admit though, my brain isn't what it used to be anymore/  My body has shit the bed, but I would rather lose any other function on my body than my mind, even such as it is.  

Stay safe out there!  Mrs. B needs you to paint if nothing else.   I have had all 3 shots, I got the booster in the beginning of December, an early Christmas present to myself.  I don't go out much nowadays.

40 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Ah c'mon Billy, you know I love ya!  It's a quiet Sunday here and I'm just having some fun.  

I do have to admit though, my brain isn't what it used to be anymore/  My body has shit the bed, but I would rather lose any other function on my body than my mind, even such as it is.  

Stay safe out there!  Mrs. B needs you to paint if nothing else.   I have had all 3 shots, I got the booster in the beginning of December, an early Christmas present to myself.  I don't go out much nowadays.

I know, we are all good, Ed!   Sorry that your body is failing you, hope your mind hangs in there!!

We just cancelled our planned trip to S. Carolina in 11 days, because we are terrified of the increase in Covid cases!!  My brother had it, our neighbors across the street have it, and our daughter we were going to visit is 7 months pregnant.  I hope this shit is over soon, but I fear it won't be, until we have all had it, with good or bad outcomes, depending upon a lot factors, with being fully vaxed and boosted the most defining of ones outcome.  I am only using N95 masks now, no more of the blue ones, that we used up until now......

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

TMI Billy!

Masking tape

Teflon tape

Electrical tape

Duct tape

Double sided tape

Foam tape

Carpet tape

Cello tape

Packing tape

Foil tape

Shall I go on?

And like any competent handyman, I know exactly where they all are at all times.

Just like tools. ;)

1 minute ago, SloopJonB said:

And like any competent handyman bondage expert, I know exactly where they all are at all times.

FIFY

21 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Have you considered a drawer in your toolbox just for tape?

Since we all have at least a dozen kinds of tape it makes sense.

Which tool box? I have about 30, and half of them I can't find at any given moment.

This is why I have 20 hammers and 7,000 screw drivers, 50 wire cutters, about 200 chisels of various sizes, a full set of brad/nail sets in 3 different locations, 7 sets of Allen wrenches both metric and SAE, 400 11mm open end wrenches that don't fit anything, 3 3/8" drive ratchets w/ corresponding useless sized sockets, 5 1/2" ratchets w/ corresponding useless sockets. 2 3/4" drive ratchets with mostly useful, if you have a Allis Chalmers Grade-All, sockets. 2 sets of 1" drive ratchets/ sockets (see above) But I still cant find the fucking plumbing tape. (Actually I did find a roll today, and got the situation solved)

8 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Masking tape

Teflon tape

Electrical tape

Duct tape

Double sided tape

Foam tape

Carpet tape

Cello tape

Packing tape

Foil tape

Shall I go on?

And like any competent handyman, I know exactly where they all are at all times.

Just like tools. ;)

No Tuck Tape ?

10 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Which tool box? I have about 30, and half of them I can't find at any given moment.

This is why I have 20 hammers and 7,000 screw drivers, 50 wire cutters, about 200 chisels of various sizes, a full set of brad/nail sets in 3 different locations, 7 sets of Allen wrenches both metric and SAE, 400 11mm open end wrenches that don't fit anything, 3 3/8" drive ratchets w/ corresponding useless sized sockets, 5 1/2" ratchets w/ corresponding useless sockets. 2 3/4" drive ratchets with mostly useful, if you have a Allis Chalmers Grade-All, sockets. 2 sets of 1" drive ratchets/ sockets (see above) But I still cant find the fucking plumbing tape. (Actually I did find a roll today, and got the situation solved)

Its not just you.  I keep a tidy garage (bowgirls orders....but ironically it does make it easier to find stuff) but even still when it comes time for the plumbers tape I can't find it.  EVERY.FUCKING.TIME.  Not even in the dedicated tape drawer.....

41 minutes ago, Jkdubz808 said:

Its not just you.  I keep a tidy garage (bowgirls orders....but ironically it does make it easier to find stuff) but even still when it comes time for the plumbers tape I can't find it.  EVERY.FUCKING.TIME.  Not even in the dedicated tape drawer.....

Plumber's tape is like that.  It's the 10mm socket of the adhesive family!  I must have 4 or 5 rolls of it somewhere, plus a couple that I'm pretty sure that I know where they are, but maybe not.

Someday when my heirs are going through my things they will say, "Gee, he sure had a thing for plumber's tape, there must be 50 rolls of it here.  Weird!!"  :lol:

On 1/8/2022 at 3:17 PM, gptyk said:

Me too. Mostly the same reason, but I once hired a painter. The job was terrible. I had to re-do it. And I can't see for crap. 

Stucco, OTOH, stucco is some kind of witchcraft or sorcery. If I do it, stucco goes up on the wall. Stucco falls off the wall. Repeat until trowel is thrown as far as the damn thing will go. 

Had to cut a door into our stucco Garage...  (No idea why there was not a door there in the first place but what you gonna do??). OMG.....  Started with a Sawsall, Quickly went to the circ saw,  ended up with a concrete rig with a diamond blade from the rental store after burning through a couple cement blades in the circ saw... 20 yrs ago, but I will never attempt anything stucco again...  LOL.  Stucco and fucking duct work....  never again...  

On 1/8/2022 at 3:35 PM, Mrleft8 said:

The 1/2 rolls hang out with the 10 mm sockets in the dark...  

1 hour ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

If you just used Loctite 567 or Loctite 5331, you wouldn't NEED to know where your useless plumber's tape was anyway...

FKT

There's about 15 different kinds of thread tape. And different brands, some is crap. The correct thread tape, properly applied, is perfect in many jobs.

OTOH there's lots of way to fuck it up, of which the most common are to wrap it the wrong way and to wrap it over the end so shreds get in everything... yeah that's what filters are for, to catch the technician's fuckups.

- DSK

3 hours ago, shaggy said:

Had to cut a door into our stucco Garage...  (No idea why there was not a door there in the first place but what you gonna do??). OMG.....  Started with a Sawsall, Quickly went to the circ saw,  ended up with a concrete rig with a diamond blade from the rental store after burning through a couple cement blades in the circ saw... 20 yrs ago, but I will never attempt anything stucco again...  LOL.  Stucco and fucking duct work....  never again...  

Just about every house here is stucco over about 4" of high density styrofoam insulation.  I've found a good, stout, old but sharp knife works better than anything.  But it still sucks.