J/105 Sparcraft mast replacing Hall

Recently replaced the original Hall mast with Sparcraft (original damaged in transit to regatta).   Hearing that I might need to recut my new (used twice!) North mainsail to fit the different Sparcraft bend profile.   Any other J/105 owners or sailmakers have any experience with this?  Thanks

Not sure if any of the San Francisco based J/105s have switched over yet, but I know Ballenger is working on new rigs for the fleet. I heard Blackhawk is getting the first rig off the line. Might be worth reaching out to the SF Fleet?

Connect with Paul D @ Doyle, they just came announced a new sail design for the Sparcraft.  http://j105sails.com/  He just sent this email earlier this week...

"New" Sparcraft Mainsail

Many boats sailing with the newer Sparcraft masts have been struggling to be competitive. This summer I spent a lot of time physically measuring and analyzing the spar to built a mainsail that fits the full potential of this mast. The Sparcraft mast is stiffer laterally and can bend through a greater range than the hall spar. The mast tuning is a polar opposite to the Hall Spar requiring the mainsail to be very different to work properly. This new design fits the luff curve perfectly and by having the depth to handle the increased bend range make this main powerful in light air.
The first sail went to Max Kalehoff's Laura Bee in fleet 6. Their first race, in a paltry 5 knots of wind, they sailed to leeward and through fleet champ loulou to lead at the weather mark. They showed great speed through out the regatta in both light and heavy air. The boat went from struggling to be competitive and certainly one of the fastest boats in the fleet. 

On 1/7/2022 at 4:03 PM, bollocks said:

Recently replaced the original Hall mast with Sparcraft (original damaged in transit to regatta).   Hearing that I might need to recut my new (used twice!) North mainsail to fit the different Sparcraft bend profile.   Any other J/105 owners or sailmakers have any experience with this?  Thanks

The local sailmakers have a lot of experience with the Sparcraft mast at this point and know what to do. You will need your main re-cut for the Sparcraft, or sell it to someone with a Hall mast and get a new one cut specifically for the new spar. That's not such a crazy idea because the NAs are in SF in late September and most out of town boats use AP sails. They will probably need access to HA sails if they want to be competitive. You will have to discount your sail, but perhaps not substantially more than the cost of the recutting work, so it may end up a wash.

What was the damage to your original Hall mast? 

On 1/8/2022 at 3:36 PM, GroupW said:

Connect with Paul D @ Doyle, they just came announced a new sail design for the Sparcraft.  http://j105sails.com/  He just sent this email earlier this week...

"New" Sparcraft Mainsail

Many boats sailing with the newer Sparcraft masts have been struggling to be competitive. This summer I spent a lot of time physically measuring and analyzing the spar to built a mainsail that fits the full potential of this mast. The Sparcraft mast is stiffer laterally and can bend through a greater range than the hall spar. The mast tuning is a polar opposite to the Hall Spar requiring the mainsail to be very different to work properly. This new design fits the luff curve perfectly and by having the depth to handle the increased bend range make this main powerful in light air.
The first sail went to Max Kalehoff's Laura Bee in fleet 6. Their first race, in a paltry 5 knots of wind, they sailed to leeward and through fleet champ loulou to lead at the weather mark. They showed great speed through out the regatta in both light and heavy air. The boat went from struggling to be competitive and certainly one of the fastest boats in the fleet. 

Thanks yes I received same email.   Having just spent 12K on new North Sails I didn't fancy chucking the main away and buying a new Doyle main.   I'm waiting for North Sails to tell me whether it's just a $200 luff curve as Frogman56 suggests.....!!

On 1/8/2022 at 8:56 PM, Wet Spreaders said:

The local sailmakers have a lot of experience with the Sparcraft mast at this point and know what to do. You will need your main re-cut for the Sparcraft, or sell it to someone with a Hall mast and get a new one cut specifically for the new spar. That's not such a crazy idea because the NAs are in SF in late September and most out of town boats use AP sails. They will probably need access to HA sails if they want to be competitive. You will have to discount your sail, but perhaps not substantially more than the cost of the recutting work, so it may end up a wash.

What was the damage to your original Hall mast? 

Thanks for the thought.  Mast damage - while being trucked to Nationals, the mast base hit an I-95 overpass that was being worked on - (so under the posted height).   Took a chunk out of the mast base and stressed the spreaders.   Probably repairable if anyone's interested in it. 

On 1/9/2022 at 3:10 PM, Frogman56 said:

Surely the recut is just the luff curve? $200 or thereabouts?

Likely a bit more with slides than a volt rope. Also, if the rig is that much softer fore and aft, there may not be enough tabling to add luff curve, then you get into girth issues. Best move is to shorten the foot a little and start over from there...

2 hours ago, notallthere said:

Likely a bit more with slides than a volt rope. Also, if the rig is that much softer fore and aft, there may not be enough tabling to add luff curve, then you get into girth issues. Best move is to shorten the foot a little and start over from there...

Volt rope - that's when you hit overhead wires right? :-) 

20 minutes ago, Controversial_posts said:

This is why I love racing “one design”.

Not much choice when you have close to 700 boats made over 30 years and the spar supplier goes tits up. 

What I can tell you from 18 years of racing J105s in a big fleet (seldom fewer than 20 boats on the line) is that it's the crew that makes the difference. I've seen owners come and go, boats come and go - winning is correlated with the people, not the platform. Preparation matters, practice matters, but the position of the sink, tiller or wheel, Hall or Sparcraft, Scrimp or chopper - it's the guys who can race who win races. Which is why I love racing "one design".

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Wet Spreaders said:

Not much choice when you have close to 700 boats made over 30 years and the spar supplier goes tits up. 

What I can tell you from 18 years of racing J105s in a big fleet (seldom fewer than 20 boats on the line) is that it's the crew that makes the difference. I've seen owners come and go, boats come and go - winning is correlated with the people, not the platform. Preparation matters, practice matters, but the position of the sink, tiller or wheel, Hall or Sparcraft, Scrimp or chopper - it's the guys who can race who win races. Which is why I love racing "one design".

But it's soooo much easier to  blame or ascribe it to a boat config, than it is to go out and get really good at that racing thing.  Its the OD version of "My rating it too harsh"