Jump to content

Recommended Posts

My J/29 has 15 X 7 Portlights for the quarter berths.  They were made by Fuller Brush Co. with 2.5" Spigots.  The portlights are installed backwards--i.e., with the plexiglass opening into the cockpit and the spigots pointed in towards the quarter berth.  The portlights need to be replaced and I was wondering:

What was the original equipment on the J/29?

Did the boat originally have the portlight open into the cockpit?

Ideas for an inexpensive replacement.

Thanks!! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2022 at 2:48 PM, BobbyZ said:

My J/29 has 15 X 7 Portlights for the quarter berths.  They were made by Fuller Brush Co. with 2.5" Spigots.  The portlights are installed backwards--i.e., with the plexiglass opening into the cockpit and the spigots pointed in towards the quarter berth.  The portlights need to be replaced and I was wondering:

What was the original equipment on the J/29?

Did the boat originally have the portlight open into the cockpit?

Ideas for an inexpensive replacement.

Thanks!! 

 

You can sell your boat and buy Hustler and you won't have to replace the ports

Plus you won't lose another race

Link to post
Share on other sites

I race on a friend's boat.  I putt around on my J/29--often I'm the only sailor on board.  Any thoughts on the Portlights?  I'm about to replace them with plain plexiglass panels.  

Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, BobbyZ said:

I race on a friend's boat.  I putt around on my J/29--often I'm the only sailor on board.  Any thoughts on the Portlights?  I'm about to replace them with plain plexiglass panels.  

Thanks!

Have you checked defender or Bomar?

I'm sure you can find the correct ones.

Where you located and what boat do you own?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Larchmont Yacht Club; Shira.  Use to be Gosling out of Nova Scotia.

 The ones on my boat were made by the Fuller Brush Company and are no longer made.  Bomar has ones that would fit -- but should they open into the boat or out into the cockpit.  You could mount them either way and how far does the spigot extend into the cockpit (assuming you mounted them correctly) that's my confusion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, BobbyZ said:

Larchmont Yacht Club; Shira.  Use to be Gosling out of Nova Scotia.

 The ones on my boat were made by the Fuller Brush Company and are no longer made.  Bomar has ones that would fit -- but should they open into the boat or out into the cockpit.  You could mount them either way and how far does the spigot extend into the cockpit (assuming you mounted them correctly) that's my confusion.

With more common that not, quarterberth cockpits generally open into the boat.  Taking a guess, I would say yours were installed after delivery and was someones specific requirement.  I would not put replacement ports in that open into the cockpit. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, USA 236 said:

With more common that not, quarterberth cockpits generally open into the boat.  Taking a guess, I would say yours were installed after delivery and was someones specific requirement.  I would not put replacement ports in that open into the cockpit. 

Yes, because your shins won't like them opening into the cockpit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, BobbyZ said:

Larchmont Yacht Club; Shira.  Use to be Gosling out of Nova Scotia.

 The ones on my boat were made by the Fuller Brush Company and are no longer made.  Bomar has ones that would fit -- but should they open into the boat or out into the cockpit.  You could mount them either way and how far does the spigot extend into the cockpit (assuming you mounted them correctly) that's my confusion.

Into the boat

Link to post
Share on other sites

Every boat I've had that had them opened into the boat.  Can't believe the old ones have been pulled off at some point by a line getting fouled, or broken by someone banging into them....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...