I would like to help USA sailors succeed internationally

Greetings fellow yachtsmen and yachtswomen,

For decades I have observed the decline of American sailing, and would like to act, to reverse the trend. To make a meaningful donation, where would you put your money? 

If you have donated in the past, was it fruitful? Have you given to the US Sailing Team? Direct to athletes? What was your interaction like with said entities?

Standing by,

Sailtoshi Nakamoto

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SailtoshiNakamoto said:

Standing by,

Sailtoshi Nakamoto

send me some of that bitcoin and I'll make sure it reaches the right hands...

it you want to invest in US sailing,  go find local jr programs to support...    like

https://www.facebook.com/ShakeALegMiami

US Sailing spends most of the money on bloated coaching salaries, if that is your thing, give it to them. Results of this business model have not been successful.

The athletes pretty much pay their way to regattas, shipping, airfare, housing, transportation, entry fees, food, clothing, etc. They all wish they could spend less time fundraising, more time sailing.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, SailtoshiNakamoto said:

For decades I have observed the decline of American sailing, and would like to act, to reverse the trend. To make a meaningful donation, where would you put your money? 

If you have donated in the past, was it fruitful? Have you given to the US Sailing Team? Direct to athletes? What was your interaction like with said entities?

Standing by,

Sailtoshi Nakamoto

Direct to the sailors, or well known youth programs. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Monkey said:

I’ve actually been really impressed with the few kids from Oakcliff I’ve had on my boat. 

Oakcliff does a great job, but they don’t really need the money. Hunt Lawrence, and his friends (and wanna be friends) have the money part covered. Better to give the money directly to sailors. 

13 hours ago, crashtack said:

ShakeALeg has sucked for several years now. Don't do jack shit for miami sailing

When sailing was removed from the Paralympics, all programs backed way off. It seems the Race for Gold was what pushed Disabled Sailing. I am considering getting back to Chicago with the Judd Godman Foundation for their race in July. that event was always fun. They even have exercise zoom meetings for disabled.

Judd Goldman Adaptive Sailing Foundation (juddgoldmansailing.org)

8 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

When sailing was removed from the Paralympics, all programs backed way off. It seems the Race for Gold was what pushed Disabled Sailing. I am considering getting back to Chicago with the Judd Godman Foundation for their race in July. that event was always fun. They even have exercise zoom meetings for disabled.

Judd Goldman Adaptive Sailing Foundation (juddgoldmansailing.org)

Except team paradise (run by star gold medalist Magnus liljendahl) continues to operate, he just got pushed out of SaL for no good reason except that they're moneygrubbers

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2022 at 1:46 PM, SailtoshiNakamoto said:

To make a meaningful donation, where would you put your money? 

If you have $25m-$50m of talking money......you could turn around the US Olympic decline. But as you leave your first meeting with the Board and Management of USS, you want to say over your shoulder as you go through the door:

"Oh and just one more thing. I'll need all your letters of resignation on my desk by first thing Monday morning"

Take a kid sailing.

Make sure the kid has fun.

Repeat as often as possible, being careful the kids don’t burn out/become disappointed.

From what I’ve seen, these ‘youth programs’ don’t produce lifelong sailors in any great quantity. It’s too much like work, and kids want to have a good time.

19 minutes ago, Max Rockatansky said:

Take a kid sailing.

Make sure the kid has fun.

Repeat as often as possible, being careful the kids don’t burn out/become disappointed.

From what I’ve seen, these ‘youth programs’ don’t produce lifelong sailors in any great quantity. It’s too much like work, and kids want to have a good time.

That's a programme design/execution issue: All too often the "Youth programme" is designed to produce racers, not necessarily lifelong sailors. I've also seen some youth programmes that are set up to ensure kids have fun (which is good) but are structured so that it's impractical for them to race competitively if they want to (maybe not so good: starting late and not racing soon enough will usually do this).

Part of the issue is that they are often run by folk who are so enthusiastic about racing that they can't understand why someone wouldn't want to... and anyway, have little experience of teaching outside that. Alternatively, they are run by people who don't race and/or think that the competitive culture is toxic, so they steer kids away from it. Setting up a programme that offers lots of alternative pathways is not easy, especially where resources are limited... So the number of people (especially volunteers) that can do it is limited.

If there are enough potential sailors in one area, different clubs can cater for different "markets", or one Big Club can set up different programmes... that's pretty rare in my experience but my experience is limited...

Good "signposting" can help- guiding people towards sessions that are likely to suit them and offering guidance on how to progress down alternative pathways afterwards... again, though, this needs broadminded instructor/coaches...

• Like 1

send me 25k and I'll put new sails and runnin riggin on my boat and take a shitload of kids sailing. 

skip the bitcoin though.. I want cash.. small unmarked bills..

thank you

Log onto any One Design and Class website to see what the US Fleets are up to. A lot of us travel and ship our boats to represent this country on our own dime.

It's not all about the Olympic Hopefuls. Any funds large or small help make it a reality for someone who may have the talent yet not the wallet.