Cuba made its own good vaccine

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jan/05/cuba-coronavirus-covid-vaccines-success-story

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/cuba-soars-near-top-covid-vaccination-charts-decades-old-bet-2021-12-20/

So Cuba apparently realized US sanctions and lack of money would limit vaccine access so they made their own. These articles don't really cover Omicron, but they have several iterations and the latest Soberana-2 is said to be quite good on par with AZ.

High vax rate, too. 

Didn't make the biased news here, I found it because one of my snorkel tour providers has 3 trips going there this spring, sold out. Am on wait list.

• Like 1

We were scheduled to go to Cuba on Jan 15.Trip was cancelled a week or so ago by the provider, Air Transat, a subsidiary of Air Canada. Apparently the Cuban government is requiring 10 day's of isolation on arrival.

I have a colleague and his partner in Cuba right now. They went there over Christmas (they have a house there). Both got covid and are busy re-arranging flights because they can't come back yet.

22 minutes ago, bstrdsonofbtl said:

https://www.counterpunch.org/2021/12/16/cuba-defeats-covid-19-with-learning-science-and-unity/

+Tito’s Vodka has now contributed more money toward the development of open source vaccines than the Biden White House.

Good articles - lousy shitty clickbait.  This is the actual title Open-Source Vaccines Got More Funding From Tito’s Vodka Than the Government

I have posted about this before and what makes your "headline" insipidly stupid is when Biden took office we already had vaccines and the Corbevax research and development were already complete and in the testing phase.  Now to help you out perhaps what you meant to write is that the US is still purchasing the existing vaccines at $7 instead of the no patent one at $1? 

Fair or not the newer tech vaccines got all the money and attention - and now let's hope this latest one will help curb covid in the less developed world.  

So major fail dude.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, bstrdsonofbtl said:

You're confused Mr. Acrimony, I didn't mean to write anything. Go start an argument w/someone looking for one. 

Then why did you change the headline to mean something else? Trying to give you the benefit of the doubt.  Attempting to correct a falsehood is not acrimony but points for attempting an insult even if it's on par with your "headline".  Care to try again?

• Like 1
On 1/19/2022 at 3:39 PM, Fiji Bitter said:

SWEET...

So y'all cannot handle the truth ??  

Please explain why Mr. BSTRD is wrong  . . 

I wonder if there was some purple font missing from @bstrdsonofbtl's post.  Surely even someone who hates Cuba wouldn't want to stand in the way of their efforts to provide vaccines to countries that need it, especially when developed countries like Canada and the US have been hoarding vaccine for themselves and not meeting commitments to provide vaccines to others.

• Like 1
On 1/11/2022 at 3:43 PM, Bristol-Cruiser said:

We were scheduled to go to Cuba on Jan 15.Trip was cancelled a week or so ago by the provider, Air Transat, a subsidiary of Air Canada. Apparently the Cuban government is requiring 10 day's of isolation on arrival.

It doesn't seem fair. midway in our Cuba trip that did not happen we got 53 cm of snow. Live in a corner lot with lots of sidewalk. Spent two days clearing the mess.

On 1/19/2022 at 6:39 PM, Fiji Bitter said:

SWEET...

Screenshot_20220120-113206.thumb.png.8ab7738c5a306ab37f79263fe7a1a4f6.png

took ya long enough ;)

30 minutes ago, Tharsheblows said:

The Cubans are known for having an above average number of doctors and a fairly successful healthcare system, given their resources, but I wonder if that translates into the ability to develop a vaccine.  Vaccine development requires money and high-tech machinery, two things that are in relative short supply.  I hope it does but I'm a bit skeptical.   

They've also emphasized public health and preventative medicine, instead of becoming a pill factory.    They didn't have to start at ground level, there is an immense amount of non proprietary information in the public literature over the last two years for them to build off of.   I'm very hopeful they got it right.  They provide medical support to countries in South America with even more screwed up governments, despite the US embargos.     

• Like 1
On 1/21/2022 at 10:26 AM, Tharsheblows said:

Yes, I genuinely wish them success.  We may all find that preventative medicine will become a greater part of the solution given Omicron's ability to bypass VAX-immunity and whatever comes next.

It seems the global effort to combat COVID is as good of reason as any to make a limited exception to the embargo and cooperate/collaborate.

Preventative like, masks and social distancing?

1 hour ago, Tharsheblows said:

I mean therapeutics.  If a therapeutic is developed that can reliably prevent COVID from being deadly then the importance of vax status goes way down.

Maybe, unless you care about costs. Therapeutics also have side effects…. Agree we need better ones.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2022 at 9:24 PM, Rain Man said:

I wonder if there was some purple font missing from @bstrdsonofbtl's post.  Surely even someone who hates Cuba wouldn't want to stand in the way of their efforts to provide vaccines to countries that need it, especially when developed countries like Canada and the US have been hoarding vaccine for themselves and not meeting commitments to provide vaccines to others.

Cuba isn't allowed to do nice things.

Bloody Commies.