Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Let the kite breathe! Fwiw, when reaching, Dr Stuart Walker recommends bringing in the main until the main leech telltails stall and then let it out to get them just flying. Kinda the opposite of "ease to a luff and then trim it in." (Manual of Sail Trim)

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cinnr said:

Let the kite breathe! Fwiw, when reaching, Dr Stuart Walker recommends bringing in the main until the main leech telltails stall and then let it out to get them just flying. Kinda the opposite of "ease to a luff and then trim it in." (Manual of Sail Trim)

^ this. And you will be surprised how far you can trim the main in before the telltales stall. 
So the angle of the main in the picture might be just ok (can’t tell without telltales). However, it looks way too flat for the course and conditions. I’d ease the Cunningham and outhaul and, if possible, the headstay. Maybe the vang a little, too. 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Frogman56 said:

Just heat up until you have ~ 5 degrees of heel and  awa ~ 90

no can do.

The hottie is missing in the photo so I would assume she making french toast down below.

Do not want a sudden shift to splatter hot oil on her thong..

 

What a tub of a boat.  There is not a good side to photograph that POS.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, See Level said:

Ease the vang a little

Not disagreeing, just trying to understand. I have always thought I needed vang on to keep the upper leech closed when running since the boom rises and the wind spills out the open leech at the top. 

What element am I missing? 

I would be easing the main till the upper telltales flew but keeping the vang on. Could be why I keep losing....

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, PaulK said:

Shift to leeward wheel to reduce wetted surface, no? 

Zackly!

;)

My goal in a situation like this.... neutral helm. The main is balanced against the leverage of the spinnaker out in front on the pole. In light air there isn't much pressure and no heel.

When the helm is balanced, secondary goal is to get the air flow off the leeches of both sails to be parallel. A lot of times, this results in a main that looks too tight, trimmed too close to centerline, but the leech ribbons are streaming nicely.

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Foreverslow said:

no can do.

The hottie is missing in the photo so I would assume she making french toast down below.

Do not want a sudden shift to splatter hot oil on her thong..

 

What a tub of a boat.  There is not a good side to photograph that POS.

Hmmmmm....I've been on one and seems like hotties in thongs generally squeal how much they love it down below.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, 10thTonner said:

^ this. And you will be surprised how far you can trim the main in before the telltales stall. 
So the angle of the main in the picture might be just ok (can’t tell without telltales). However, it looks way too flat for the course and conditions. I’d ease the Cunningham and outhaul and, if possible, the headstay. Maybe the vang a little, too. 
 

well looking at the weather in the background , he may be setting up for bigger winds.. he has a reefed main too,  may be hard to un-flatten the sail..

Link to post
Share on other sites

If he’s reefed in anticipation of a blow up, why’s he carrying a spinnaker, ‘specially single handing with a thong wearing hottie waiting for him down below?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think that main is reefed. My guess is the wind is just enough to fill the kite, and he has the main sheeted in and vanged down to look good in the photo and not flappy flappy. If there was any pressure on that main, there would be some amount of heel to the boat, no?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...