Jump to content

Voting Rights- Biden seems to be finally getting Mad


Recommended Posts

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-12/joe-biden-voter-rights-laws-speech-senate-filibuster/100752588

Biden compares opponents to white supremacists

Mr Biden said Republicans must choose which side of history they want to be on, as he contrasted civil rights heroes with the country's most ardent white supremacists.

 

"Do you want to be on the side of Martin Luther King or George Wallace?" Biden asked, referring to the segregationist former Alabama governor.

Mr Biden wants to build public support for the Freedom to Vote Act and the John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act.

The bills would make Election Day a holiday, register new voters and strengthen US Justice Department oversight of local election jurisdictions with a history of discrimination.

Both bills have languished in the Senate under united opposition from Republicans, who argue they would impose questionable national standards on local elections.

Link to post
Share on other sites

He is just defining the teams. He knows the battle is done for now. There is no way this gets past Sens. Manchin and Sinema. That would require a rule change at a minimum. They were fine with that for raising the debt ceiling because the Best Americans fortunes could be damaged by a default, but their strongly and deeply held principles will not allow them to facilitate a change to protect the rights of people who bust their ass for a living. 
 

Voting rights legislation doesn’t benefit rich people. Nothing passes the Senate that doesn’t benefit rich people. Biden knows this. Everybody does. 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

It might be nice if he would stop lying about the  voting law in GA when pushing an agenda   Oh the good old days when the left was outraged over a president lying

WaPo

Somehow Biden managed to turn that expansion into a restriction aimed at working people, calling it “among the outrageous parts” of the law. There’s no evidence that is the case. The president earns Four Pinocchios.

 

Four Pinocchios
 

 

  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The Joker said:

It might be nice if he would stop lying about the  voting law in GA when pushing an agenda   Oh the good old days when the left was outraged over a president lying

WaPo

Somehow Biden managed to turn that expansion into a restriction aimed at working people, calling it “among the outrageous parts” of the law. There’s no evidence that is the case. The president earns Four Pinocchios.

Ok, the president made an error on March 25th and 26th last year.

Thanks for alerting us that the WaPo is keeping an eye on Biden’s truthfulness for their readers.

You, on the other hand, inaccurately wrote in the present tense, insinuating that the lies were current and ongoing.

I’ll give you two Pinnochios

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

He is just defining the teams. He knows the battle is done for now. There is no way this gets past Sens. Manchin and Sinema. That would require a rule change at a minimum. They were fine with that for raising the debt ceiling because the Best Americans fortunes could be damaged by a default, but their strongly and deeply held principles will not allow them to facilitate a change to protect the rights of people who bust their ass for a living. 
 

Voting rights legislation doesn’t benefit rich people. Nothing passes the Senate that doesn’t benefit rich people. Biden knows this. Everybody does. 

The Senate overwhelmingly reauthorized the Voting Rights Act in 2006 and it's up to Biden to convince Manchin+Sinema. There seems to be something missing here and I don't think it has to do with Biden, Manchin or Sinema.

image.png.342ce4881e7234f8e665b0b9af4047d1.png

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Olsonist said:

The Senate overwhelmingly reauthorized the Voting Rights Act in 2006 and it's up to Biden to convince Manchin+Sinema. There seems to be something missing here and I don't think it has to do with Biden, Manchin or Sinema.

 

Citizens United, 2010. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, phillysailor said:

Ok, the president made an error on March 25th and 26th last year.

Thanks for alerting us that the WaPo is keeping an eye on Biden’s truthfulness for their readers.

You, on the other hand, inaccurately wrote in the present tense, insinuating that the lies were current and ongoing.

I’ll give you two Pinnochios

If you watched his speech,  as I did you would know that he repeated the lies in yesterday’s speech.  
Link

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, The Joker said:

If you watched his speech,  as I did you would know that he repeated the lies in yesterday’s speech.

WTF? According to you, everything any Democrat says is lies, at best. Why bother to listen to Biden's speech? Are you keeping count, to see how many times it takes to repeat something enough to make it true?

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, The Joker said:

It might be nice if he would stop lying about the  voting law in GA when pushing an agenda   Oh the good old days when the left was outraged over a president lying

WaPo

Somehow Biden managed to turn that expansion into a restriction aimed at working people, calling it “among the outrageous parts” of the law. There’s no evidence that is the case. The president earns Four Pinocchios.

 

Four Pinocchios
 

 

You're falling into Biden's trap there. He want's a lively debate on the issue. Follow your leaders example, Manchin and co. They will try to ignore this. 

You, and they, want this to just fade away, with Dems blaming Biden for "doing nothing".  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, solosailor said:

Yeah lies.....   how unpresidential.

 

 

Doesn't Joke-off realize that every other word TFG spoke was a lie, proven and documented, many times over......

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

 

Doesn't Joke-off realize that every other word TFG spoke was a lie, proven and documented, many times over......

He doesn't care.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

 

Doesn't Joke-off realize that every other word TFG spoke was a lie, proven and documented, many times over......

If Biden would only tell a few whoppers our bullshitters would hold him in much higher esteem. Well, he’d have to switch from DemocRAT to American too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ShortForBob said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-12/joe-biden-voter-rights-laws-speech-senate-filibuster/100752588

Biden compares opponents to white supremacists

Mr Biden said Republicans must choose which side of history they want to be on, as he contrasted civil rights heroes with the country's most ardent white supremacists.

 

"Do you want to be on the side of Martin Luther King or George Wallace?" Biden asked, referring to the segregationist former Alabama governor.

Mr Biden wants to build public support for the Freedom to Vote Act and the John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act.

The bills would make Election Day a holiday, register new voters and strengthen US Justice Department oversight of local election jurisdictions with a history of discrimination.

Both bills have languished in the Senate under united opposition from Republicans, who argue they would impose questionable national standards on local elections.


“Biden Job Approval Plummets To 33% 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, slug zitski said:


“Biden Job Approval Plummets To 33% 

 

relevance level: 'fart in the wind'.

you're 'simple'.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, billy backstay said:

 

Doesn't Joke-off realize that every other word TFG spoke was a lie, proven and documented, many times over......

So?   Most of us were taught as kids two wrongs don’t make a right.   As an adult we learn that if you have to lie to sell your program it’s not a very good program. 

  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, The Joker said:

So?   Most of us were taught as kids two wrongs don’t make a right.   As an adult we learn that if you have to lie to sell your program it’s not a very good program. 

Some of us were taught principles aren’t malleable. Your outrage is selective, based on the letter following the liar’s name. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Some of us were taught principles aren’t malleable. Your outrage is selective, based on the letter following the liar’s name. 

Maybe you should direct your judgement to the senators in your party who are proving their hypocrisy has no bounds.    They all have the letter D after their name   

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, The Joker said:

Maybe you should direct your judgement to the senators in your party who are proving their hypocrisy has no bounds.    They all have the letter D after their name   

You assume I do not. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, billy backstay said:

 

Doesn't Joke-off realize that every other word TFG spoke was a lie, proven and documented, many times over......

You mean “what about”?

Link to post
Share on other sites

In his speech, Biden also mentioned that 16 currently sitting GOP Senators 

voted to extend the Voting Rights Act in 2006. 

Proof positive that this is not your daddy's GOP 

Now they might as well be called the US Riech, 

which I do with some regularity. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, slug zitski said:

Rats fleeing   the sinking ship 

E4C0E136-62E1-48ED-9C0E-A75122A88A04.png

Yep her signature issue is being addressed by the President of the United States.  A President of her own party, in the state she wants to be elected Governor.   Sorry Joe,  I’m washing my hair.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, The Joker said:

 

hey ratbastard, are free and FAIR elections too much to ask? is democracy? I'm certain they're not, now go fuck yourself.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 3to1 said:

hey ratbastard, are free and FAIR elections too much to ask? is democracy? I'm certain they're not, go fuck yourself.

We have free and fair elections.  What this bill does is give federal control over state legislature.  I and many others aren’t comfortable with the federal government picking and choosing which states to oversee.  
You know that pesky thing called States rights.  
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, The Joker said:

We have free and fair elections.  What this bill does is to give federal control over state legislature.  I and many others aren’t comfortable with the federal government in control.  
You know that pesky thing called States rights.  
 

yea, you're not 'comfortable'... all these fkg states make up a nation, consistency across states in terms of voting parameters matters. moving the goalposts to suit your agenda isn't going to fly, that's called gerrymandering.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, The Joker said:

We have free and fair elections.  What this bill does is give federal control over state legislature.  I and many others aren’t comfortable with the federal government picking and choosing which states to oversee.  
You know that pesky thing called States rights.  
 

Someone really misunderstanding the constitution today. Yes, states set the rules unless the Feds set baseline rules. Read it for yourself.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Someone really misunderstanding the constitution today. Yes, states set the rules unless the Feds set baseline rules. Read it for yourself.

 

If it has enough votes it can pass as per the constitution.   But in this case enough politicians object to the rule changes proposed in this bill so it will not pass.  You know that pesky elections have consequences thing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Joker said:

If it has enough votes it can pass as per the constitution.   But in this case enough politicians object to the rule changes proposed in this bill so it will not pass.  You know that pesky elections have consequences thing. 

I think you misunderstand this completely. 

There might or might not be enough votes. Cause the pocket 'buster is stopping it from coming to a vote. You're the traditionalist, why do you support this joke of a filibuster rule? Why not make McConnell and the boys read the phone book if they don't want it to come to a vote?

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, The Joker said:

It might be nice if he would stop lying about the  voting law in GA when pushing an agenda   Oh the good old days when the left was outraged over a president lying

WaPo

Somehow Biden managed to turn that expansion into a restriction aimed at working people, calling it “among the outrageous parts” of the law. There’s no evidence that is the case. The president earns Four Pinocchios.

 

Four Pinocchios
 

 

It's a Meli thread, what did you expect?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Raz'r said:

I think you misunderstand this completely. 

There might or might not be enough votes. Cause the pocket 'buster is stopping it from coming to a vote. You're the traditionalist, why do you support this joke of a filibuster rule? Why not make McConnell and the boys read the phone book if they don't want it to come to a vote?

Actually for most recent filibusters it would have been Schumer and company 

When Schumer was minority leader, he vigorously used the filibuster to do just that. Under his leadership, Democrats used the filibuster to block funding for construction of Trump’s border wall in 2019. They used it not once, but twice to impede passage of the Cares Act — forcing Republicans to agree to changes including a $600 weekly federal unemployment supplement. They used it in September and October to stop Republicans from passing further coronavirus relief before the November election. They used it to halt Sen. Tim Scott’s (R-S.C.) police reform legislation so Republicans could not claim credit for forging a bipartisan response to the concerns of racial justice protesters. They used it to block legislation to force “sanctuary cities” to cooperate with federal officials, and to stop a prohibitionon taxpayer funding of abortion, bans on abortions once the unborn child is capable of feeling pain, and protections for the lives of babies born alive after botched abortions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, The Joker said:

We have free and fair elections....

Right

With absentee ballots severely restricted.

With polling stations closed.

With hours severely restricted

With variable and poorly-defined ID requirements, so that vote tallies can be altered with the whim of local partisans.

With criminalization of handing out drinking water to people waiting in long lines to vote

With constant screaming about fraud, with no evidence, from one side

- DSK

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, The Joker said:

Actually for most recent filibusters it would have been Schumer and company 

When Schumer was minority leader, he vigorously used the filibuster to do just that. Under his leadership, Democrats used the filibuster to block funding for construction of Trump’s border wall in 2019. They used it not once, but twice to impede passage of the Cares Act — forcing Republicans to agree to changes including a $600 weekly federal unemployment supplement. They used it in September and October to stop Republicans from passing further coronavirus relief before the November election. They used it to halt Sen. Tim Scott’s (R-S.C.) police reform legislation so Republicans could not claim credit for forging a bipartisan response to the concerns of racial justice protesters. They used it to block legislation to force “sanctuary cities” to cooperate with federal officials, and to stop a prohibitionon taxpayer funding of abortion, bans on abortions once the unborn child is capable of feeling pain, and protections for the lives of babies born alive after botched abortions.

Stop!  You're exposing liberal hypocrisy!

Hroth

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, The Joker said:

Actually for most recent filibusters it would have been Schumer and company 

When Schumer was minority leader, he vigorously used the filibuster to do just that. Under his leadership, Democrats used the filibuster to block funding for construction of Trump’s border wall in 2019. They used it not once, but twice to impede passage of the Cares Act — forcing Republicans to agree to changes including a $600 weekly federal unemployment supplement. They used it in September and October to stop Republicans from passing further coronavirus relief before the November election. They used it to halt Sen. Tim Scott’s (R-S.C.) police reform legislation so Republicans could not claim credit for forging a bipartisan response to the concerns of racial justice protesters. They used it to block legislation to force “sanctuary cities” to cooperate with federal officials, and to stop a prohibitionon taxpayer funding of abortion, bans on abortions once the unborn child is capable of feeling pain, and protections for the lives of babies born alive after botched abortions.

Yep, and since this is a one time exception, the stupid buster would still exist. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Right

With absentee ballots severely restricted.

With polling stations closed.

With hours severely restricted

With variable and poorly-defined ID requirements, so that vote tallies can be altered with the whim of local partisans.

With criminalization of handing out drinking water to people waiting in long lines to vote

With constant screaming about fraud, with no evidence, from one side

- DSK

Yep, without broad election rights, all those other little things like border walls, etc don’t matter. 
 

why are republicans afraid of people voting? Maybe more people voting will lower the power of the crazies? (Is that what you’re afraid of?)

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Right

With absentee ballots severely restricted.

With polling stations closed.

With hours severely restricted

With variable and poorly-defined ID requirements, so that vote tallies can be altered with the whim of local partisans.

With criminalization of handing out drinking water to people waiting in long lines to vote

With constant screaming about fraud, with no evidence, from one side

- DSK

totally free and fair...besides, walking a few miles both ways and having to take off from work to get to a polling place is good exercise  and a mental respite 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Yep, without broad election rights, all those other little things like border walls, etc don’t matter. 
 

why are republicans afraid of people voting? Maybe more people voting will lower the power of the crazies? (Is that what you’re afraid of?)

We have voting rights WTF are you smoking.  Name one group of citizens that do not have the right to vote?  Just One.  The voting rights  act of 1965 is still in effect. Just because it’s called a voting rights bill doesn’t mean that is the focus.  It’s all about monitoring red states.  Read the bill 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dacapo said:

totally free and fair...besides, walking a few miles both ways and having to take off from work to get to a polling place is good exercise  and a mental respite 

More bullshit.  Don’t want to walk get an absentee ballot.  Same if you don’t want to take off of work.  Plus most states with early voting have weekend hours so unless someone is working 7 days a week there is no excuse. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Joker said:
7 minutes ago, dacapo said:

totally free and fair...besides, walking a few miles both ways and having to take off from work to get to a polling place is good exercise  and a mental respite 

More bullshit.  Don’t want to walk get an absentee ballot....

Oops, that's another little white lie.

How many states have restricted absentee ballots? Gee, it looks like the Republican-controlled ones!

In Texas, for example, you cannot apply for an absentee ballot on grounds that there is no polling place within an hours drive of your work or home. Or that you cannot get time off from work, to go vote.

Yeah, that's free and fair.

- DSK

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, The Joker said:

More bullshit.  Don’t want to walk get an absentee ballot.  Same if you don’t want to take off of work.  Plus most states with early voting have weekend hours so unless someone is working 7 days a week there is no excuse. 

It takes 5 minutes to APPLY for an absentee ballot 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, slug zitski said:

It takes 5 minutes to APPLY for an absentee ballot 

 

Depends on the state. That’s the whole point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Oops, that's another little white lie.

How many states have restricted absentee ballots? Gee, it looks like the Republican-controlled ones!

In Texas, for example, you cannot apply for an absentee ballot on grounds that there is no polling place within an hours drive of your work or home. Or that you cannot get time off from work, to go vote.

Yeah, that's free and fair.

- DSK

Here are the TEXAS rules. Pretty basic and similar to most states I’ve lived in Funny how your claim isn’t listed.   Being too lazy to get to a polling place is not listed either.  
 

57ED8163-9F76-424F-B5DC-A2998942952E.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, The Joker said:

Here are the TEXAS rules. Pretty basic and similar to most states I’ve lived in Funny how your claim isn’t listed.   Being too lazy to get to a polling place is not listed either. 

Which means my "claim" is correct. You cannot receive an absentee ballot in Texas if they closed the only polling place you can reasonably get to.

Why are Republicans opposed to making Election Day a holiday? So working people will not have time to go and vote?

What other advanced country in the world features hours-long lines for voting?

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, The Joker said:

Here are the TEXAS rules. Pretty basic and similar to most states I’ve lived in Funny how your claim isn’t listed.   Being too lazy to get to a polling place is not listed either.  
 

57ED8163-9F76-424F-B5DC-A2998942952E.jpeg

It’s possible that these guidelines count be expanded but the important detail is that an absentee ballot must be applied for …no mass mailing of unsolicited absentee ballots and no political operatives involved in the absentee ballot distribution system

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, The Joker said:

We have free and fair elections.  

So why are so many states, those with GOP legislatures and/or Governors, working so hard to change things?  Introducing laws that make it harder for a citizen to exercise a Constitutional right is not necessary.  Everything from closing polling stations, to limiting hours, to making it illegal to give a bottle of water to someone waiting in line is designed to reduce participation.

Sounds like solutions seeking problems.  Remember - "We have free and fair elections" (actual The Joker quote)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, slug zitski said:

It’s possible that these guidelines count be expanded but the important detail is that an absentee ballot must be applied for …no mass mailing of unsolicited absentee ballots and no political operatives involved in the absentee ballot distribution system

There has NEVER been any "mass mailing of unsolicited absentee ballots" in any US state. That is a total RWNJ fantasy.

Meanwhile, political operatives can in fact get involved at any step in between the mailing of the ballot to the voter, until it arrives in the postal box. And of course, if the Post Office takes a hand in it, as President Trump's Postmaster General promised to do, then it could easily happen that absentee ballots from probable Democrat voters get "lost in the mail."

But that's just preventing more voter fraud!

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, The Joker said:

Here are the TEXAS rules. Pretty basic and similar to most states I’ve lived in Funny how your claim isn’t listed.   Being too lazy to get to a polling place is not listed either.  
 

57ED8163-9F76-424F-B5DC-A2998942952E.jpeg

Note that "we've closed your local polling locale, and you don't want to wait for 8 hours in line" is not a reason.

In real life, any eligible citizen should be able to vote absentee. Hell, we have at least one state that only has absentee. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

So why are so many states, those with GOP legislatures and/or Governors, working so hard to change things?  Introducing laws that make it harder for a citizen to exercise a Constitutional right is not necessary.  Everything from closing polling stations, to limiting hours, to making it illegal to give a bottle of water to someone waiting in line is designed to reduce participation.

Sounds like solutions seeking problems.  Remember - "We have free and fair elections" (actual The Joker quote)

They LOVE big, intrusive government.  Make it easier for citizens?  Ahh, hell no!

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

So why are so many states, those with GOP legislatures and/or Governors, working so hard to change things?  Introducing laws that make it harder for a citizen to exercise a Constitutional right is not necessary.  Everything from closing polling stations, to limiting hours, to making it illegal to give a bottle of water to someone waiting in line is designed to reduce participation.

Sounds like solutions seeking problems.  Remember - "We have free and fair elections" (actual The Joker quote)

Because plenty of changes were made during the Covid crisis some good some not.  Looks to me like they are putting in across the state rules so everyone in the state plays by the same rules.   Let’s talk about GA since that one was a hot bed issue.  Can you point out what part of that law is a problem.   I know it is bad but I’ve yet to hear in what way. Honest question 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Note that "we've closed your local polling locale, and you don't want to wait for 8 hours in line" is not a reason.

In real life, any eligible citizen should be able to vote absentee. Hell, we have at least one state that only has absentee. 

I disagree. I want people invested in voting unless you have a physical disability or an legitimate reason showing up in person should be required.   Please list actual closures and who made the decision and why.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Joker said:

Where please list actual closures and who made the decision and why.  

sorry sea lion, not playing your game. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

There has NEVER been any "mass mailing of unsolicited absentee ballots" in any US state. That is a total RWNJ fantasy.

Meanwhile, political operatives can in fact get involved at any step in between the mailing of the ballot to the voter, until it arrives in the postal box. And of course, if the Post Office takes a hand in it, as President Trump's Postmaster General promised to do, then it could easily happen that absentee ballots from probable Democrat voters get "lost in the mail."

But that's just preventing more voter fraud!

- DSK

More lies from Steam liar. 21% of all voters 

0DAD50DB-6355-4F0D-9AB7-62A0EAB011DE.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, The Joker said:

More lies from Steam liar. 21% of all voters 

0DAD50DB-6355-4F0D-9AB7-62A0EAB011DE.jpeg

This doesn't mean what you think it means.

You're saying that Cali sends "unsolicited absentee ballots" to all voters.

That is incorrect.

Anyone in Cali can GET an absentee ballot, but you have to register for one. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Raz'r said:

This doesn't mean what you think it means.

You're saying that Cali sends "unsolicited absentee ballots" to all voters.

That is incorrect.

Anyone in Cali can GET an absentee ballot, but you have to register for one. 

I read it as It as every registered voter received a mail in ballot. No need to even have an absentee ballot 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, phillysailor said:

May 8 2020 (CNN). All registered voters in California will receive a mail-in ballot for the upcoming November election, Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom announced during his daily pandemic briefing.

The state is not moving to mail-only,however, and in-person voting will remain an option.

According to Steam Liar that is a RWNJ fantasy.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

It was done as part of pandemic-related efforts to minimize exposure of voters and poll workers to coronovirus.

Going forward, as long as there was sufficient efforts to maintain ballot security to satisfy both major political parties, I see no reason why mail in voting cannot work as it already does in many states, Either upon request or automatic.

It would, however, drastically increase the burden on the postal service to have accurate addresses for our nation’s citizens and that would need to be adequately funded and carefully administered.

I think verbiage in the bills limiting voting time at polling stations to 30min max per voter is a better way to achieve improved voter participation, maintaining ballot security & protecting poll workers and voters.

I also like that it becomes a crime to knowingly mislead voters as to the location of their polling station.

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, The Joker said:

Because plenty of changes were made during the Covid crisis some good some not.  Looks to me like they are putting in across the state rules so everyone in the state plays by the same rules.   Let’s talk about GA since that one was a hot bed issue.  Can you point out what part of that law is a problem.   I know it is bad but I’ve yet to hear in what way. Honest question 

Regarding the Georgia law -

First point.  It's inhumane.  Not that you'll care.

Second, it serves no legitimate purpose.

Are you always in favor of state legislatures spending time and resources to enact laws that serve no meaningful purpose and only serve to make people suffer?

 

As for the changes during COVID - I am in favor of things that likely reduced exposure and (possibly) saved lives.  You?

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

 

As for the changes during COVID - I am in favor of things that likely reduced exposure and (possibly) saved lives.  You?

You're asking that of the pee-drinker?

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, The Joker said:

I read it as It as every registered voter received a mail in ballot. No need to even have an absentee ballot 

Just for the recall

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to remind the Joker:

The Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof; but the Congress may at any time by Law make or alter such Regulations" (Article I, section 4)

 

Any sane person would read that and see that the Congress can change regulations as they deem fit, which would over-ride the states. It's not a "State's Right" standing on it's own - it's a state's right, constrained by Federal regulations.

It's pretty clear that the Fed's have a right to pass voter regulations.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Just for the recall

Not true.  I’m really not understanding your point. READ Philly’s post.  It clearly states that CA mails ballots to ALL registered voters. 

 

28 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Regarding the Georgia law -

First point.  It's inhumane.  Not that you'll care.

Second, it serves no legitimate purpose.

Are you always in favor of state legislatures spending time and resources to enact laws that serve no meaningful purpose and only serve to make people suffer?

 

As for the changes during COVID - I am in favor of things that likely reduced exposure and (possibly) saved lives.  You?

Inhumane WTF are you talking about?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Joker said:

Not true.  I’m really not understanding your point. READ Philly’s post.  It clearly states that CA mails ballots to ALL registered voters. 

 

 

Looks like Philly and you are correct, I am mistaken. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Raz'r said:

Just to remind the Joker:

The Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof; but the Congress may at any time by Law make or alter such Regulations" (Article I, section 4)

 

Any sane person would read that and see that the Congress can change regulations as they deem fit, which would over-ride the states. It's not a "State's Right" standing on it's own - it's a state's right, constrained by Federal regulations.

It's pretty clear that the Fed's have a right to pass voter regulations.

Of course they have the right  never said they didn’t. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, The Joker said:

No problem I guess I’m sane 

Unsolicited ballot distribution allows the party in power to flood friendly  districts with ballots and starve opposition districts 

dont allow this to happen again or the voter will loose confidence in the vote 

mandatory state ID and Federal ID or no vote 

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, The Joker said:
1 hour ago, Bus Driver said:

Regarding the Georgia law -

First point.  It's inhumane.  Not that you'll care.

Second, it serves no legitimate purpose.

Are you always in favor of state legislatures spending time and resources to enact laws that serve no meaningful purpose and only serve to make people suffer?

 

As for the changes during COVID - I am in favor of things that likely reduced exposure and (possibly) saved lives.  You?

Expand  

Inhumane WTF are you talking about?  

In Georgia, it is illegal to provide a bottle of water to someone waiting in line to vote. 

What about that isn't intended to create a hardship? 

What is the need for such a law?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oregon started Vote By Mail, VBM, in '87, 10 years later it was statewide for all elections.

25 years and it still seems to work. I'm far more engaged via VBM then ever before!

High turnout is not what the GOP wants.

 

78.5% participation in OR for the 2020 general election! 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Liquid said:

Oregon started Vote By Mail, VBM, in '87, 10 years later it was statewide for all elections.

25 years and it still seems to work. I'm far more engaged via VBM then ever before!

High turnout is not what the GOP wants.

 

78.5% participation in OR for the 2020 general election! 

 

Your bolded point is EXACTLY why the GOP has been enacting this slew of laws.

They'll claim it is to stop the fraud they allege occurs, but cannot produce evidence of.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

In Georgia, it is illegal to provide a bottle of water to someone waiting in line to vote. 

What about that isn't intended to create a hardship? 

What is the need for such a law?

More Bullshit talking points

 

5BDE52AC-9F9C-49F8-BEBE-922E0051C7D4.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, slug zitski said:

Unsolicited ballot distribution allows the party in power to flood friendly  districts with ballots and starve opposition districts 

dont allow this to happen again or the voter will loose confidence in the vote 

mandatory state ID and Federal ID or no vote 

Precisely what's happening in Texas. Why aren't you complaining about that?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The Joker said:

More Bullshit talking points

 

5BDE52AC-9F9C-49F8-BEBE-922E0051C7D4.jpeg

Look at the 2nd bullet point.  Why is it necessary for a state legislature to spend time enacting such a law?

Using the site you referenced, I saw this -

The law makes it a misdemeanor to give away food or water within 150 feet of the outer edge of a polling place building or within 25 feet of any voter in line. 

Think about what that means.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Look at the 2nd bullet point.  Why is it necessary for a state legislature to spend time enacting such a law?

Using the site you referenced, I saw this -

The law makes it a misdemeanor to give away food or water within 150 feet of the outer edge of a polling place building or within 25 feet of any voter in line. 

Think about what that means.

 

Sounds good to me 

keep political operators away from voters 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Danceswithoctopus said:
4 minutes ago, slug zitski said:

Sounds good to me 

keep political operators away from voters 

Seems to me that universal voting by mail would accomplish that, if that's your goal.

Works here.

Says nothing about fat people with guns hanging around the polls, but bans water. Sounds fair.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites