Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 799
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To be fair, many of the challengers wanted exactly that though, so that there was some consistency in place for some years to come. So even if some players may have not (initially) agreed with th

My family own a handful of villas close to Malaga, left over from my parents Spanish construction and real estate business.....so I would love Malaga to be chosen. But I'm not holding my breath. If a

There was no attempt to circumvent the Deed by Larry, signing the agreement to keep the same design was optional. Most of the players felt it was a good idea and signed. Dalts disagreed and didn't. No

Posted Images

40 minutes ago, Xlot said:

In other news, Viagra has been found to cure Omicron :rolleyes:

Ha :)

It is the first time we've seen real quotes from Malaga, so it's at least some kinda story now.

Another: Málaga entra en la pugna para ser la sede de la 37ª America’s Cup - NAUTICA TIEMPO WINDGURU | NAUTISPOTS

Gtran: Málaga entra en la pugna para ser la sede de la 37ª America’s Cup - NAUTICA TIEMPO WINDGURU | NAUTISPOTS (nautispots-com.translate.goog)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Seriously: “un alto rendimiento económico a cambio de una inversión moderada en infraestructura”

Venue purse: “¿qué es eso? Ni hablar”

 Barcelona out, at least

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/americas-cup/127490323/malaga-confirms-americas-cup-hosting-bid

Malaga is Home to the oldest Yacht Club in Spain, the Real Club Mediterraneo meaning Malagas AC Bid who knows, might come with a Spanish Entry too.

They've been looking at it since October?

 

GD and his "three excellent bids" was in September, right?

This thing is far from sorted

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, shebeen said:

They've been looking at it since October?

 

GD and his "three excellent bids" was in September, right?

This thing is far from sorted

Malaga didn't start surfacing until early December.  €45M from the City/Region and €30M total from a couple major sponsors needed - that gets to GD's NZ$120M ask; +/- whatever the exchange rates are currently at.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shebeen said:

This thing is far from sorted

My take on it too. But since the mayor did broach the subject in a speech where this got less attention than a variety of other subjects on his mind to talk about, it's at least something. (patting myself on the back) I have been googling for 'copa america' 'malaga' for a while and something official did finally turn up, albeit mid-Jan already. Now it's being reported in a bunch of sailing press :) 

One g-tran account suggested the mayor brought it up so as to try bring the idea to the attention of potential private investors. So yes, could be far from sorted... Be that as it may, I posted a guess a couple weeks back for where whoever-all might be proposing for bases. Here's another (below), it could be the buildings to the southwest of the S in Sail. If anyone wants to try in Google Earth, it could be fun to get some street pics of them; maybe dimensions too - am guessing the larger ones are close to 50m in length? Would they be usable, or would they be tear-downs? 

1178786919_IMG_76175367.thumb.jpg.386683c56fb0280e64f11ebda935d743.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/americas-cup/127490323/malaga-confirms-americas-cup-hosting-bid

Malaga is Home to the oldest Yacht Club in Spain, the Real Club Mediterraneo meaning Malagas AC Bid who knows, might come with a Spanish Entry too.

but - isn't the whole point that they would be buying TNZ? ok, just renting. an old tale I'm told..

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, accnick said:

That might be similar in size to Pier 80 (Oracle base) in SF.

Agree. That one but also the other buildings there are super-big and in better condition than what P80 was. I 'walked' up and own that front street for a few minutes and why the Malaga Mayor says minimal investment would be required, facility-wise anyway, I can see that being true. Hard to say what they'd give up in other-commercial interests; they appear to be just grain silos (some of them soft-roofed, even) but walkby looks didn't show any massive amount of trucking activity in or out - despite the super-easy access into the Port of Malaga, the ferry terminal there, easy loading docks access via the bridge, etc. Could see it being a realistic venue but (of course...) the only real money still on offer is in Auckland. None of this changes my mind about an Auckland Home Defense still being the most viable and most perfectly well-prepared choice. Tick, tick, tick...  With this late gambol by OSG in Malaga, Cork was apparently not exactly chomping at the bit either. Hard sell, for the massive asking price.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Agree. That one but also the other buildings there are super-big and in better condition than what P80 was. I 'walked' up and own that front street for a few minutes and why the Malaga Mayor says minimal investment would be required, facility-wise anyway, I can see that being true. Hard to say what they'd give up in other-commercial interests; they appear to be just grain silos (some of them soft-roofed, even) but walkby looks didn't show any massive amount of trucking activity in or out - despite the super-easy access into the Port of Malaga, the ferry terminal there, easy loading docks access via the bridge, etc. Could see it being a realistic venue but (of course...) the only real money still on offer is in Auckland. None of this changes my mind about an Auckland Home Defense still being the most viable and most perfectly well-prepared choice. Tick, tick, tick...  With this late gambol by OSG in Malaga, Cork was apparently not exactly chomping at the bit either. Hard sell, for the massive asking price.

Realistically, at this stage you need five team bases the size of that big building. The smaller buildings in between would have to go to give access to the waterfront itself for launching/hauling. Add in the semi-used triangular area, and you might just barely have enough space.

Race management needs about the same amount of space as a team base, including waterfront for all the support boats. TV and other services do not necessarily need waterfront, but need to be nearby.

Pier 80 was not that bad. Oracle built buildings-within-buildings inside the primary building. They had about the same amount of waterfront--maybe more--outside the primary building, but you needed that to step and unstep the wing and launch/haul the race boat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

What do we think the chances of a venue being selected by the march date are?

It's a good guess by any of us but as I myself have kept pointing out, when it comes to local politics and approvals and etc, even Cork is far out from going through that grinder. The number of approval entities that the Mayor in Malaga listed was a long one too. The sell-line about how GD had to cut down the number of competing venues from 35 to 3 or 4 was just that, an attempted sell. This late  Malaga interest may serve as argument to a few folks on the Cork City Council, I guess time will tell if that arg helps them up-chain. There are basically zero alternatives to Auckland best I can tell, still.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, accnick said:

Realistically, at this stage you need five team bases the size of that big building. The smaller buildings in between would have to go to give access to the waterfront itself for launching/hauling. Add in the semi-used triangular area, and you might just barely have enough space.

Race management needs about the same amount of space as a team base, including waterfront for all the support boats. TV and other services do not necessarily need waterfront, but need to be nearby.

You think, really? If there are 4 buildings close to 90mX40m, they could surely be split back to back as bases? What were the base dimensions in AUK?

They may want to install extra cranes but there are some monsters within trolley-distance across a short 4-lane bridge.

Being in supposedly a great breeze right on the waterfront, GD could proudly fly his newly-sold Emirates Team Malaga flag 24 hours a day!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stingray~ said:

None of this changes my mind about an Auckland Home Defense still being the most viable and most perfectly well-prepared choice. Tick, tick, tick... 

You really need urgent brain surgery, my friend.

My uncle from Toronto who wanted to be a Newfie did that half succesfully, and now lives in Quebec, "il n"a pas de problème".

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

You think, really? If there are 4 buildings close to 90mX40m, they could surely be split back to back as bases? What were the base dimensions in AUK?

I am saying this based on the space requirements for the teams in SF. Because they were scattered all over the place, you didn't necessarily see how much space it added up to.

The bases in Bermuda were jam-packed, but AC 50s took up less space than the AC75 or AC72, and people did not necessarily appreciate how much space within the Dockyard buildings was occupied by the teams as offices. The tents on the waterfront were all the public could see.

Remember that Artemis had a separate base in BDA at the old Naval Annex at the other end of Great Sound, despite the new construction on landfill in the Dockyard area. This was pretty analogous to what they did in Alameda for AC 34.

I have not tried to add up the comparable space used in Auckland during AC 36. Maybe someone could do that with the judicious use of Google Earth. This seems right up your alley, Stingers.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good points. But those buildings in Malaga are pretty big! They could be just knockdowns, it may well not even be the proposed location for the bases, please everyone feel free to speculate otherwise about wth that Mayor was on about. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

 "The cost of this project would not fall so much on the administrations as on private sponsorships to reduce the public contribution as much as possible. We are already sounding out the interest that a America Cup 2024 in Malaga may arouse among top-level companies. Making it public today is useful to precisely get more support that reduces, hopefully to zero, the public contribution ".

Uh-huh.  Businesses, not the government.  And GD would expect no oversight or accountability?  Good luck.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

 "The cost of this project would not fall so much on the administrations as on private sponsorships to reduce the public contribution as much as possible. We are already sounding out the interest that a America Cup 2024 in Malaga may arouse among top-level companies. Making it public today is useful to precisely get more support that reduces, hopefully to zero, the public contribution ".

Uh-huh.  Businesses, not the government.  And GD would expect no oversight or accountability?  Good luck.

I could see a Rolex or somebody as a headline event sponsor but who would besides the usual Emirates would step up to pay for Team Malaga, aka ETM? Prada obviously will not. LV, maybe?

Link to post
Share on other sites

exactly, that's where the esteemed Mr. Dalton has got us. it's the ultimate irony - PB can simply fork over the cash and hold the event in Cagliari. No need to win it anymore.

it's almost like bribery - but Dalt's doing it in the open (hey sailor?). Offering his team up for sale to the highest bidder. is there a better name for that?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

 "The cost of this project would not fall so much on the administrations as on private sponsorships to reduce the public contribution as much as possible. We are already sounding out the interest that a America Cup 2024 in Malaga may arouse among top-level companies. Making it public today is useful to precisely get more support that reduces, hopefully to zero, the public contribution ".

But embarrassing if GD can't get companies to cough up the money for team ABNZ, but Malaga does

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, floater said:

exactly, that's where the esteemed Mr. Dalton has got us. it's the ultimate irony - PB can simply fork over the cash and hold the event in Cagliari. No need to win it anymore.

it's almost like bribery - but Dalt's doing it in the open (hey sailor?). Offering his team up for sale to the highest bidder. is there a better name for that?

Given how the first Event for AC36 was destined for Cagliari, it suggests they could easily accommodate an AC. Compared to Cork and to Malaga, it likely has by far the better sailing conditions too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, enigmatically2 said:

But embarrassing if GD can't get companies to cough up the money for team ABNZ, but Malaga does

There is a difference though, and you continually are using faulty reasoning.

You are either just trolling, or a demented engineer, or both.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

I could see a Rolex or somebody as a headline event sponsor but who would besides the usual Emirates would step up to pay for Team Malaga, aka ETM? Prada obviously will not. LV, maybe?

There’s a history of Spanish companies sponsoring VOR teams. It isn’t ridiculous to suppose sponsorship for Team Malaga might be forthcoming. Spain’s economy is 3 times the size of Ireland’s (much lower per head).

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2022 at 7:07 AM, Xlot said:

In other news, Viagra has been found to cure Omicron :rolleyes:

Surprising efficacy, apparently. Any side effects we should be aware of? ;-)

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Surprising efficacy, apparently. Any side effects we should be aware of? ;-)

Probably a good chance of ending up with ‘lovers nuts’?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2022 at 5:13 PM, Sailbydate said:

Surprising efficacy, apparently. Any side effects we should be aware of? ;-)

be pretty rough on the y fronts as well I'd think

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 167149 said:

be pretty rough on the y fronts as well I'd think

Enter the man who has no underwear. Ask me why

{{Why?}}

Because the pants* haven't been built yet that'll take the job on

 

* note to Americans, this is the UK usage of pants meaning underwear

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

Enter the man who has no underwear. Ask me why

{{Why?}}

Because the pants* haven't been built yet that'll take the job on

 

* note to Americans, this is the UK usage of pants meaning underwear

 

Never could handle going commando. I kept tripping over it. ;-)

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

Lord Flashheart, is that you?

It was me in fact.

Sea Breeze? funny name for a bloke. Last thing I called sea breeze was when I farted over the English Channel and devastated Cherbourg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

You'll like the beard - give's you something to hang on to :P

Worked with an ex British army colonel who still had what were nicknamed bugger grips. Was an asshole so I would always ask him if they were used last night. 

No sense of humour. Total wanker. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing I have always wondered about men going commando in jeans...doesn't the big jeans seam bother you? The zipper? 

I never could stand jeans without a cleft guard...that seam!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NeedAClew said:

One thing I have always wondered about men going commando in jeans...doesn't the big jeans seam bother you? The zipper? 

I never could stand jeans without a cleft guard...that seam!

Oh yeah, the metal zipper. The learning curve is very steep. :(

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

One thing I have always wondered about men going commando in jeans...doesn't the big jeans seam bother you? The zipper? 

I never could stand jeans without a cleft guard...that seam!

501s... buttons, no zip.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

One thing I have always wondered about men going commando in jeans...doesn't the big jeans seam bother you? The zipper? 

I never could stand jeans without a cleft guard...that seam!

Unless you wrap it around your waist, which has it's own issues

Link to post
Share on other sites

little 7s rugby tournament this past weekend in Malaga. 

 

image.jpeg.c6e02125d97c76d4ba1ee5dbd06b258f.jpeg

 

first time they've hosted one, as a spot in the calendar opened up with australasia not being that kosher currently, apparently

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

Isn't that the GD mantra 'there is no accounting'

Sure there's accounting. It's just a bit more creative than you're used to. ;-)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am fucking bored...... so bored that I wish that Hotrod dude would chuck together another mega catamaran just this time a foiler........ a

red neck foiler true but i think that the lateral though He's capable of would make it another eye boggler and be fun to watch

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, 167149 said:

I am fucking bored...... so bored that I wish that Hotrod dude would chuck together another mega catamaran just this time a foiler........ a

red neck foiler true but i think that the lateral though He's capable of would make it another eye boggler and be fun to watch

Have you seen the price of plywood lately?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

Have you seen the price of plywood lately?

 

7 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

Have you seen the price of plywood lately?

red neck carvel .... ex shipping pallets

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2022 at 6:50 PM, Stingray~ said:

Street view. That truck, is it a grain carrier?

Malaga_5.thumb.png.ea763c362a0ef000b07e296574a59613.png

Fertilizers;  Ammonium nitrate. Just like in Beirut.
Damages_after_2020_Beirut_explosions_1.jpg.299e041e84e58c45a2cbc26206ab953d.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Just can't get modern sailing away from that carbon money, lol. World's largest emitter of greenhouse gasses per capita and largest exporter of LNG. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qatar

The sustainability programs for AC37 will be...

Now don’t badmouth Qatar, will you? Europe’s only alternative to Russian gas, should Putin shut off the tap - other than high priced US LNG, thank you. MOF, I find coal’s demise has been grossly exaggerated, too :ph34r:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, Qatar Airways are the new Emirates. Am fascinated by the A350 paint peeling issue / A321neo 50-plane order canceled in retaliation by Airbus (unheard of) / maxi order to Boeing in counter-retaliation. So many billions involved, an AC37 presented by Qatar Airways would look like a rounding correction

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Xlot said:

Well, Qatar Airways are the new Emirates. Am fascinated by the A350 paint peeling issue / A321neo 50-plane order canceled in retaliation by Airbus (unheard of) / maxi order to Boeing in counter-retaliation. So many billions involved, an AC37 presented by Qatar Airways would look like a rounding correction

Agreed.

A neighbor of mine is in charge of new-plane deliveries to Qatar from both Boeing and Airbus, is happy with the massive new order for 777X Freighters coming from the nearby plant. The figures are pretty staggering.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stingray~ said:

Malaga's candidacy to host the America’s Cup, the most important sailing tournament in the world, could hinge on whether or not the redevelopment of the San Andrés marina backed by Qatar’s Al Alfia fund is completed by 2024.

"The port of San Andrés could be inaugurated as a base for the America’s Cup, it would be something extraordinary," said Ramón Calderón, the Al Alfia’s fund’s representative in Spain. "If it is confirmed, we have to start work very quickly at the port to have it ready for the start of the regattas.

“If we start in the summer, it could be ready by December 2023. I assume there will be no problems with permits because this would be a great success for the city," he added.

Al Alfia’s proposal will be considered by the Port Authority’s board of directors on Friday 4 February.

 
me: am a touch skeptical on this timeline, it may not be a good bet to make. 
 
Link to post
Share on other sites

So some tell us that GD can't pick AKL because thee might be a lockdown there on 2 years time (even though the ROW is already moving into living it like flu). But that it is OK to suppose that country may agree to blow £80m, grant lots of building permits and complete lots of construction in around 18 months.

Sounds reasonable. And can I interest anyone in this sure fire investment opportunity I have?

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

So some tell us that GD can't pick AKL because thee might be a lockdown there on 2 years time (even though the ROW is already moving into living it like flu). But that it is OK to suppose that country may agree to blow £80m, grant lots of building permits and complete lots of construction in around 18 months.

Sounds reasonable. And can I interest anyone in this sure fire investment opportunity I have?

Ugh. It’s not about what’s happening now. It’s about what was happening during the time of negotiation. When the negotiation period was underway between the Government and Team NZ, the only way the Government would have been able to offer anything significant would be by Crystal ball gazing. There is no way the government could offer millions of dollars and unrestricted access to Auckland to host the AC while simultaneously denying other events, or restricting them to the point that it was/ is virtually impossible to hold the event due to COVID restrictions. The negotiation period was early on in the process. Effectively 12 months ago. Team NZ was asking the government to look 3 years ahead and base their proposal on a country that was wide open and unrestricted. The Government couldn’t responsibly do that. Dalton knew that would be the case and understood the government position. Hence exploring offshore options.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

 Hence exploring offshore options.

Now that he's explored and found fuckall do you think he is going to go crawling back to the government teat?

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

Now that he's explored and found fuckall do you think he is going to go crawling back to the government teat?

Is it March 31st? Didn’t think so.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pusslicker said:

Now that he's explored and found fuckall do you think he is going to go crawling back to the government teat?

Auckland is DEAD! Why the heck can't you accept that? If there was any last effort surely the NZ Media would have picked it up!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

So some tell us that GD can't pick AKL because thee might be a lockdown there on 2 years time (even though the ROW is already moving into living it like flu). But that it is OK to suppose that country may agree to blow £80m, grant lots of building permits and complete lots of construction in around 18 months.

Sounds reasonable. And can I interest anyone in this sure fire investment opportunity I have?

By that country, I assume you are referring to Malaga and Spain? Agreed, it looks like an iffy bet..

The whole Malaga proposition is now far more tentative to my mind, given what we now know is behind the push there. Some articles about that proposed marina development date back 10 years.

In the meantime, just like in the photos I posted already, that area and its use has changed. 

The next 'permit date' will be on Feb 4 but even if it does get granted this year, even the developer says that they could get it built by the end of December at the earliest. 

The idea to re-use the softish-sided buildings/grain silos for use as AC37 bases, maybe even remove them to make space for softer AC Team bases as space-replacements, did seem plausible. But if the whole thing is hinging on some possible Marina deal? It's almost like 'Castles in the Sand' again (RAK) - remember all that mirage? The NY Times ran an article under that exact title, iirc.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

So some tell us that GD can't pick AKL because thee might be a lockdown there on 2 years time (even though the ROW is already moving into living it like flu). But that it is OK to suppose that country may agree to blow £80m, grant lots of building permits and complete lots of construction in around 18 months.

Sounds reasonable. And can I interest anyone in this sure fire investment opportunity I have?

Lockdowns don't work.! Heard Immunity is the only way forward. It's a common cold virus, surely most people know that. If you lockdown and damage the economy and then try and wait for the Virus to disappear your delaying the inevitable. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, cill123 said:

 However, in terms of the positive economic impact of hosting a sporting event, the America’s Cup ranks just behind the Olympics and football’s World Cup. In 2017, the sailing competition pulled in 68 million viewers.

The winning bid will be announced on 31 March.

 

 

I guarantee you that is the biggest lie you'll see today. I doubt it's even in the top25.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Lockdowns don't work.! Heard Immunity is the only way forward. It's a common cold virus, surely most people know that. If you lockdown and damage the economy and then try and wait for the Virus to disappear your delaying the inevitable. 

2020 called, they want their post that was silly at the time, and proved emphatically wrong repeatedly since, back.

Unless of course I missed your sarcasm in which case my apologies.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, shebeen said:

I guarantee you that is the biggest lie you'll see today. I doubt it's even in the top25.

You might want to consider the nations in which some of us live before making such a sweeping statement.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

You might want to consider the nations in which some of us live before making such a sweeping statement.

Not sure why you disagree with shebeen. Globally it is true I think,and for us in the UK woul rank behind national events as well as international ones including most major football, rugby and cricket competitions, F1 races and many others. Even the US only competitions like superbowl are bigger in UK than AC is

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Auckland is DEAD! Why the heck can't you accept that? If there was any last effort surely the NZ Media would have picked it up!

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor!!!!!

Fawn Leibowitz is dead!!!!!

Oh yeah!!!!! Need a couple of more exclamation points to make it all seem legit!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dogwatch said:

You might want to consider the nations in which some of us live before making such a sweeping statement.

ok fine I'll bite.

The claim was that the AC is "just behind" the olympics and the FIFA world cup. It doesn't matter what country you're in, it's clearly a reference to global events.

The claim is oddly about positive economic impact, that becomes a tough one to measure and will always be debatable once you start looking at indirect benefits (which do count). It's a disingeneous claim, as we can look at Sochi(2014), Qatar(2022), Tokyo(2020 - I guess) to show that these huge events had negative economic benefits. 

We could use Valencia, San Fran or Bermuda as a case study to show economic benefit to the region or even any of the Auckland events. Valencia is a good one for Malaga specifically, but it was a different story in '07 with all those teams and a refined class rule, a world tour and regatta circuit. Despite what they say about Valencia still paying off debts, there will be ways to prove there was overall benefit to the region of hosting this event over the 2/3 years of development.

so if we move away from the economic benefits claim, and go to the BIGGEST (hence listing the WC and Olympics as the top2) we get to the metric of 68 million viewers for AC35. That's not a big number in this territory.

 

I maintain that AC37 will not be in the top 25 for

a)spectator numbers/ticket sales   [assuming there is no covid restrictions]

b)overall broadcast viewers

c)positive economic benefit.

 

Euro soccer champs, world athletic champs, tour de france, superbowl final, cricket world cup, rugby world cup and many others will be streets ahead.

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

OK. I wanted to be brief because I didn't really want to get into politics. But I kind of did anyway. 

In the UK we have a pathological liar for a PM. He's been a liar all his life and every day he comes up with another ridiculous falsehood to excuse or draw attention away from his egregious behaviour.

So as for "I guarantee you that is the biggest lie you'll see today", no, to hear a bigger one, I just have to switch on the news.

Link to post
Share on other sites